PDA

View Full Version : AC4 naval clip analysis

Wolfmeister1010
06-23-2013, 04:19 AM
Recently, some people were doing an analysis on the features they saw in the minute one havana clip. I have some analysis of my own based on the 20 sec long naval clip.

http://youtu.be/_vh7y-jQCA8

If one of you guys can actually post the video that would be a help. I can't do it from my phone

1. Health meter is different. Similar to AC1 synch bar.

2. There are multiple places to fire a swivel at, instead of just one like in AC3.

3. There are guns placed at the front of the ship that you can use. Now we know that we have weapons on all 4 sides!

4. Instead of just going off of how damaged the ship looks, the enemy ships now also have health meters, so if you want to board the ship, you don't have to risk accidentally destroying it.

5. We can also see a some customization going on. In the e3 demo, the ship has a plain white steering wheel, tattered sails, and the wood planks on the surface of the ship are disorganized and kinda ugly. In this clip, the steering wheel has white trim, the sails are nice and clean, and the flooring looks more neat.

6.On the bottom right, you can clearly see that there is now a finite amount of cannonballs that you have. You will now have to buy and replenish the ship's weapons yourself.

7. The swivel guns are now triggered by the Y/triangle button.

8. Braces last a much shorter time than in AC3.

9. Instead of "half sail" and "full sail", there is now "speed up" and "slow down" and the "full stop" option is now set to an entirely different button.

10. Under the health bar, there is a meter with a hook icon next to it. This could mean a variety of things. It could refer to the amount of boarding hooks you have, or maybe the bar needs to replenish between each time you crew launches hooks before you can use it again.

11. The horizon system is clearly legit. As you are fighting the ship, you can clearly see another frigate appear in the horizon, and other ships are marked on your minimal, as well as treasures.

12. The water looks fantastic, as do the islands, and the ocean and ship physics seem to have improved. Very subtly, but very noticeably as well. More smoke from the shots, and better textures.

13. Firing the swivels at the powder stores no longer guarantees the destruction of the enemy ship. It seems multiple stores must be destroyed in order to take them out that way

LoyalACFan
06-23-2013, 05:26 AM
4. Instead of just going off of how damaged the ship looks, the enemy ships now also have health meters, so if you want to board the ship, you don't have to risk accidentally destroying it.

This is nice.

6.On the bottom right, you can clearly see that there is now a finite amount of cannonballs that you have. You will now have to buy and replenish the ship's weapons yourself.

I think that's only for special ammo types. If you notice in the beginning, there's no number next to the chain shot. Stuff like grapeshot, heavy shot, and whatever other new stuff they're adding will be limited, but I assume the default chain shot and round shot will be infinite. Otherwise you'd be utterly screwed if someone attacked you on your way back to port if you were out of ammo.

10. Under the health bar, there is a meter with a hook icon next to it. This could mean a variety of things. It could refer to the amount of boarding hooks you have, or maybe the bar needs to replenish between each time you crew launches hooks before you can use it again.

I doubt your boarding hooks would be a limited supply... couldn't you just grab them off of the deck of the enemy ship and reuse them? I think your second theory is probably closer to the truth. Your "boarding meter" might have to recharge to keep you from just boarding every single ship in a fight.

Wolfmeister1010
06-23-2013, 05:55 AM
I think that's only for special ammo types. If you notice in the beginning, there's no number next to the chain shot. Stuff like grapeshot, heavy shot, and whatever other new stuff they're adding will be limited, but I assume the default chain shot and round shot will be infinite. Otherwise you'd be utterly screwed if someone attacked you on your way back to port if you were out of ammo..

Ubisoft did say that there are more options in the naval world, like how you can escape ships, break their line of sight behind islands, and sail away. I actually hope that you have to buy and replenish your ammo, even round shots. It would add more value to completing contracts and searching for treasure. I feel like in ac3, there were SOOOOO many different things to sell, with not enough things to buy. I became very rich VERY quickly in AC3.

LoyalACFan
06-23-2013, 06:08 AM
Ubisoft did say that there are more options in the naval world, like how you can escape ships, break their line of sight behind islands, and sail away. I actually hope that you have to buy and replenish your ammo, even round shots. It would add more value to completing contracts and searching for treasure. I feel like in ac3, there were SOOOOO many different things to sell, with not enough things to buy. I became very rich VERY quickly in AC3.

All true. But I think the lack of stuff to buy won't be as much of a problem this time around, since there's supposedly a deeper upgrade system for both Edward and the Jackdaw, plus the promise of way more customization. I'm not sure how I feel about having to replenish your stock of round shot, since buying ammo has been more of an annoyance than anything in previous games.

Wolfmeister1010
06-23-2013, 06:13 AM
All true. But I think the lack of stuff to buy won't be as much of a problem this time around, since there's supposedly a deeper upgrade system for both Edward and the Jackdaw, plus the promise of way more customization. I'm not sure how I feel about having to replenish your stock of round shot, since buying ammo has been more of an annoyance than anything in previous games.

Also something to note... The ubi guy said that "you can't beat that frigate with the beginning default jackdaw". Wow, you must start off REALLY weak in the beginning... I actually like that. For so,e reason, I have a fetish for starting with a piece of crap and slowly renovating it to become awesome. That's why I loved the monterggioni renovating in AC2 and was disappointed by the lack of aesthetic changes while renovating Rome and Istanbul.

I hope that weaken we first get the jackdaw, you have 0 guns and only a few crew members, and the ship is dirty and rickety and mediocre. I would LOVE to see my personal ship grow throughout the game.

Locopells
06-23-2013, 01:58 PM
You'll start with 6 guns (with the option to add another FIFTY...).

Wouldn't be much of a pirate without guns...

freddie_1897
06-23-2013, 06:12 PM
Thanks for this.