PDA

View Full Version : What size is the Map?

KharN6
06-21-2013, 09:13 PM
Is it only the portion we seen at the end of the E3 Demo? OR does it also expand on that? if so, by how much? any chance of an upload of the map? or major boroughs/areas included? Cant wait for the game btw, looks amazing!

roribeedm
06-21-2013, 09:22 PM
I discuss the size of the map in the police station in the first post of the "What We Know" thread under the Game Area section. It's pretty massive. If there are other police stations with maps of different parts of New York City (Upper Manhattan and Queens) the game area could be the entirety of New York City. Currently though it looks like the black map was just the same area as on the police map though. Still a good size for an open world game.

KharN6
06-21-2013, 09:54 PM
Thats a valid point, i didnt even think to look closer to that map, thanks for the reply!

DannyBox88
06-21-2013, 11:50 PM
Hopefully BIG and further upgrades in the game the whole map of U.S. It will be better for having PVP areas and that way it doesn't feel repetitive, if! the PVP areas are not randomly changing areas. And if! the game doesn't already have the whole map.

roribeedm
06-22-2013, 12:07 AM
Hopefully BIG and further upgrades in the game the whole map of U.S. It will be better for having PVP areas and that way it doesn't feel repetitive, if! the PVP areas are not randomly changing areas. And if! the game doesn't already have the whole map.
The devs have specifically referred to what they are working on now as the "New York episode" there is talk about expanding the game to include other cities (They did not say as DLC, but they specifically said not as a sequel). So as I have said elsewhere, I would not be surprised to see London or Paris within a year of launch.

DannyBox88
06-23-2013, 03:22 PM
The devs have specifically referred to what they are working on now as the "New York episode" there is talk about expanding the game to include other cities (They did not say as DLC, but they specifically said not as a sequel). So as I have said elsewhere, I would not be surprised to see London or Paris within a year of launch.

No doubt about it.

B4l00n
06-23-2013, 08:23 PM
Lets hope The Division is not going to share map size fiasco that Defiance has brought. Trion Worlds Devs used to say the map is huge thats why we got vehicles at the beginning of the game blah blah blah but really map on Defiance is small if you compare it to other mmos and is a big let down from my point of view. Also I hope that the variety of locations will be great and diverse but what we have already seen so far in the e3 demo environment looks astonishing and very promising. Keep up the good work.
Ubisoft please take notes on the map size :) it needs to be enormous :D

roribeedm
06-23-2013, 09:06 PM
Lets hope The Division is not going to share map size fiasco that Defiance has brought. Trion Worlds Devs used to say the map is huge thats why we got vehicles at the beginning of the game blah blah blah but really map on Defiance is small if you compare it to other mmos and is a big let down from my point of view. Also I hope that the variety of locations will be great and diverse but what we have already seen so far in the e3 demo environment looks astonishing and very promising. Keep up the good work.

One important thing to remember. The devs have not tagged this game as an MMO. They've been calling at an Online Open World RPG. When directly asked if this was an MMO their response was "You can call it what you want". Think of this more as a sandbox game than an MMO. Think Saints Row or GTA 4, more than WoW.

As for "variety of locations", walk down the streets of your city and that's about as diverse as it's going to get for the most part. Just picture garbage piled everywhere, broken windows, and looted stores. There isn't going to really be that much diversity. After all this isn't Fallout, this is New York City a year and a half from now (Roughly), 3 weeks after the plague hits. There won't be many collapsed buildings unless a gas main blew.

B4l00n
06-24-2013, 12:25 AM
I completely understand your point of view but I only mentioned that because of Defiance where beginning are was really great and then the midlle areas where the last locations were absolutely crap. I actually read somewhere that The Division is supposed to be some sort of mmo rpg thats why I wrote about issues with Defiance and I actually complemented The Division how great the locations look and if they will keep the same standard for the rest of the game it is going to be the one game to look out for :)

Paranimal
06-24-2013, 05:14 AM
I imagine this to be in similar scope in map size to the GTA series but even more so in that u can explore highly detailed interiors.... I hoping most if not all the buildings you can explore for food and water, similarly to the way the demo teased. I understand it would be an enormous undertaking making every building accessable especially since the interiors from what we saw in the police station are so detailed but as long as there's decent amount we really can't complain... I imagine that this is going to be a seamless ever expanding world with new expansion packs that venture into rural areas and other cities. But we know so little I wish it was coming out at launch of the new systems! Grrr

TRU-_-LY-YOURS
06-24-2013, 06:39 AM
A game has never did that before, I would love to be able to go everywhere, like really go were ever. If you see a house, office or tall Skyscraper it would be nice to savage those or any area you want. Not putting limitations on were you can and can't go, Fallout3 was the best post apocalyptic savaging game I've played, I hope this will be a little like that.

Dome500
06-24-2013, 03:12 PM
I hope for most of New York and a little part of New Jersey

DannyBox88
06-24-2013, 11:43 PM

I second this for sure.

Black_Widow9
06-25-2013, 12:55 AM
Please make sure you also ask this here: ;)
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/774700-Official-ComDev-Q-amp-A

ziegenbagel
06-25-2013, 08:30 PM
The Devs have hinted at future expansions/DLC where the virus that infected people breaks out of the quarantine of NYC and spreads further so I see the map expanding to other parts of US at some point, maybe even else where in the world, who knows there may be a zone to get air dropped to like London or Hong Kong, etc.