PDA

View Full Version : AC4 Interview with Darby Mcdevitt, talking about Edward,the rest of the cast and more

ArabianFrost
06-16-2013, 07:45 PM
http://www.gamereactor.de/grtv/?id=115561

These bullet points are supposed to summarise the main points in the interview. They are not to be taken as actual quotes off the tongues of the Developers. These are mostly in my own words, therefore, try and not to take every word as literal info provided from the Developers.

Quit an informative 15 minute review.

A bit of important bits:
-The writing of AC4 is finished and all the scenes have been shot
-Darby now has time to write the database
-Edward has bits of Haytham in him, considering that Haytham was very close to Edward in his childhood days (I.e Edward is more humorous and playful than Connor)
-The narrative will mainly and most importantly focus on Edward, the lead of this story
-Darby takes into consideration the TWCB aspect, but believes that the story must centre its focus on the characters, not the sci-fi aspect.
-Charles Vane is a hurricane, literally. He intervenes and complicates plans.
-Benjamin Hornigold was one of the characters he enjoyed writing the most. He also has a complex arc.
-The cast of AC4 is both wide and developed, so it feels like there are a great deal of characters that are also well-developed.

overdidd
06-16-2013, 08:33 PM
Well that all sounds amazing, ofcourse. We'll see how it turns out in the game.

Kaschra
06-16-2013, 09:55 PM
Thanks, this was really interesting :)

SixKeys
06-16-2013, 11:39 PM
-Charles Vane is a hurricane, literally.

So he is a concentration of air currents traveling at a hundred miles per hour?

ze_topazio
06-16-2013, 11:57 PM
They have talked about many pirates but they have not said a word about Bartholomew Roberts ever since the initial announcement.

ArabianFrost
06-17-2013, 01:56 AM
So he is a concentration of air currents traveling at a hundred miles per hour?

From the Marriam Webster Dictionary:
Main Entry: 1hurˇriˇcane
Pronunciation: \ˈhər-ə-ˌkān, -i-kən, ˈhə-rə-, ˈhə-ri-\
Function: noun
Etymology: Spanish huracán, from Taino hurakán
Date: 1555
1 : a tropical cyclone with winds of 74 miles (119 kilometers) per hour or greater that occurs especially in the western Atlantic, that is usually accompanied by rain, thunder, and lightning, and that sometimes moves into temperate latitudes — see beaufort scale table 2 : something resembling a hurricane especially in its turmoil
e.g: Hurricane Sandy, Literally Charles Vane, Hurricane Hurricane.

See?

ArabianFrost
06-17-2013, 01:58 AM
They have talked about many pirates but they have not said a word about Bartholomew Roberts ever since the initial announcement.

You can't expect them to play all their cards and reveal all the cast this early or even at all.

Dosenwabe
06-17-2013, 12:21 PM
Don't forget the hundreds of female pirates and town b*tches Edward will sleep with in the story, just to piss me off. Because gamers find that so hot and nice,of course.

TheHumanTowel
06-17-2013, 12:50 PM
Don't forget the hundreds of female pirates and town b*tches Edward will sleep with in the story, just to piss me off. Because gamers find that so hot and nice,of course.
Don't you have some books to burn? Go cry somewhere else

dxsxhxcx
06-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Don't you have some books to burn? Go cry somewhere else

lol

-Darby takes into consideration the TWCB aspect, but believes that the story must centre its focus on the characters, not the sci-fi aspect.

and that's why the modern day story is in the mess it's right now, if you put the damn thing in the game at least explore it right...

pacmanate
06-17-2013, 01:58 PM
Horni has good arc as he turns on all the pirates, most likely due to Templars.

And what does Darby mean the narrative is "mostly" focused on Edward. Who else is it going to focus on? Please dont make us play as to characters again.

ArabianFrost
06-17-2013, 02:51 PM
Horni has good arc as he turns on all the pirates, most likely due to Templars.

And what does Darby mean the narrative is "mostly" focused on Edward. Who else is it going to focus on? Please dont make us play as to characters again.

The bullet points I wrote off the top of my head. I didn't quote Darby. Please listen to the interview to make sure that Darby said it as such and not to spread baseless quotes. Not saying that you're a liar, but let's not spread empty rumours.

ArabianFrost
06-17-2013, 02:54 PM
lol

and that's why the modern day story is in the mess it's right now, if you put the damn thing in the game at least explore it right...
I agree. The TWCB arc is why we are exploring history. This is WHY all these assassins are tied. These stories aren't about Ezio. They aren't about Altaďr. They aren't about Edward. They aren't about Connor. It's about something far bigger than them. "Some thing that eludes their understanding". They are mere conduits as Ezio said. I don't get why they would view the matters that they are conduits to as "secondary". It's all about the TWCB IMO.

pacmanate
06-17-2013, 02:56 PM
The bullet points I wrote off the top of my head. I didn't quote Darby. Please listen to the interview to make sure that Darby said it as such and not to spread baseless quotes. Not saying that you're a liar, but let's not spread empty rumours.

But that's the history of Hornigold... its not an empty rumour.

I-Like-Pie45
06-17-2013, 02:59 PM
To Darby

You wouldn't be trying to give us a bogus story using some ingenius trick would you? That's just as low as anyone could possibly stoop! I can't believe you some times!

pacmanate
06-17-2013, 03:00 PM
To Darby

You wouldn't be trying to give us a bogus story using some ingenius trick would you? That's just as low as anyone could possibly stoop! I can't believe you some times!

Darby - http://media.tumblr.com/418d4af258f388716a715b45935c5cd0/tumblr_inline_mizjoz9ZOl1rtcvzu.gif

ArabianFrost
06-17-2013, 03:01 PM
But that's the history of Hornigold... its not an empty rumour.

I am talking about the Edward part. Did Darby really say "mostly" focus on Edward, as you mentioned or did he say "only" focus on Edward? There's a great difference.

lothario-da-be
06-17-2013, 04:00 PM
Wait, did he just said, we skip a year in the modern day???? How will that work with Juno? Its not lik she is going to sleep for a year because we will start to play ac4 then?

ArabianFrost
06-17-2013, 04:17 PM
Wait, did he just said, we skip a year in the modern day???? How will that work with Juno? Its not lik she is going to sleep for a year because we will start to play ac4 then?

Maybe the modern world has become dystopian?

ProletariatPleb
06-17-2013, 04:33 PM
http://www.penusa.org/sites/default/files/burning-book.jpg

lothario-da-be
06-17-2013, 04:38 PM
Maybe the modern world has become dystopian?
What does dystopian mean?

cmrggamer
06-17-2013, 04:40 PM

Maybe she needs something before she can start her takeover of the world? Something that makes Edward's story necessary, if that makes sense. I guess I'm thinking of that cube Edward is holding at the end of the CGI trailer

lothario-da-be
06-17-2013, 04:46 PM
Maybe she needs something before she can start her takeover of the world? Something that makes Edward's story necessary, if that makes sense. I guess I'm thinking of that cube Edward is holding at the end of the CGI trailer
Possible, but a year is still very much, i was looking foreward to play ac as a historical game all the time.:p

salman147
06-17-2013, 04:49 PM
I wonder how Edward's story will wrap up.Hope it's good.

cmrggamer
06-17-2013, 04:54 PM
Possible, but a year is still very much, i was looking foreward to play ac as a historical game all the time.:p

This is true. Maybe she's taken over the world and the Templars want to be in control so they're looking for something to stop her with, through Edward. I don't think they can get rid of the present day story though ;) Perhaps you won't be forced to leave the animus until the very end? It sounds like they've been trying to increase player interaction with the modern day plot, though.

ArabianFrost
06-17-2013, 04:55 PM
What does dystopian mean?

Basically, a dystopian world means a world full of misery, turmoil and difficulties. My guess is maybe Juno takes over the world slowly and we see the horrible thing the world has turned into (ie Juno crowns herself queen, she rules the world, humans become slaves, civilisation is brought to its knees). A dystopia is only one theory. She may only just wait 1 year to regain her full powers? Maybe she is conspirating with other humans to cause a rebellion against governments? Maybe she's reviving allies to aid her to take over the world?

Definition of dystopia from wikipedia:
A*dystopia*is a community or society, usually fictional, that is in some important way undesirable or frightening. It is the opposite of autopia. Such societies appear in many works offiction, particularly in stories*set*in a*speculativefuture. Dystopias are often characterized by dehumanization,[1]totalitarian*governments,environmental disaster,[2]*or other characteristics associated with a cataclysmic decline in society. Elements of dystopias may vary from environmental to political and social issues.*

ACfan443
06-17-2013, 04:57 PM

I thought you were done with the franchise?

Guess it's just too irresistible...

lothario-da-be
06-17-2013, 04:59 PM
Basically, a dystopian world means a world full of misery, turmoil and difficulties. My guess is maybe Juno takes over the world slowly and we see the horrible thing the world has turned into (ie Juno crowns herself queen, she rules the world, humans become slaves, civilisation is brought to its knees). A dystopia is only one theory. She may only just wait 1 year to regain her full powers? Maybe she is conspirating with other humans to cause a rebellion against governments? Maybe she's reviving allies to aid her to take over the world?

A*dystopia*is a community or society, usually fictional, that is in some important way undesirable or frightening. It is the opposite of autopia. Such societies appear in many works offiction, particularly in stories*set*in a*speculativefuture. Dystopias are often characterized by dehumanization,[1]totalitarian*governments,environmental disaster,[2]*or other characteristics associated with a cataclysmic decline in society. Elements of dystopias may vary from environmental to political and social issues.*
Thanks,its possible.

dxsxhxcx
06-17-2013, 05:01 PM

If that's the case I doubt she would give anyone a chance to look into the past and find a way to stop her (or control her)...

lothario-da-be
06-17-2013, 05:56 PM
This is true. Maybe she's taken over the world and the Templars want to be in control so they're looking for something to stop her with, through Edward. I don't think they can get rid of the present day story though ;) Perhaps you won't be forced to leave the animus until the very end? It sounds like they've been trying to increase player interaction with the modern day plot, though.
I actualy ment that the modern day story would be in the past now.

pacmanate
06-17-2013, 05:59 PM
I am talking about the Edward part. Did Darby really say "mostly" focus on Edward, as you mentioned or did he say "only" focus on Edward? There's a great difference.

This is your thread, and thats what you posted in the OP. If anything you are giving false information. I based it on what you said. derp.

ArabianFrost
06-17-2013, 06:33 PM
This is your thread, and thats what you posted in the OP. If anything you are giving false information. I based it on what you said. derp.

Great. Now I have to post a disclaimer on every summary I ever wrote.

pacmanate
06-17-2013, 06:44 PM
Great. Now I have to post a disclaimer on every summary I ever wrote.

Are you touched in the head? Your bullet points were based off that interview right? So my comments were based on your summary. If anything that means you are telling me your summary is WRONG.

Ubi-MoshiMoshi
06-17-2013, 06:58 PM
OK guys, keep it civil please, there is no need for comments like that.

pacmanate
06-17-2013, 07:12 PM
OK guys, keep it civil please, there is no need for comments like that.

Well seriously what is he on about? If he made a thread with an interview and bullet points as a summary of the interview then I talk about them, how am I giving rumours? That means his summary is wrong.

ArabianFrost
06-17-2013, 08:56 PM
Are you touched in the head? Your bullet points were based off that interview right? So my comments were based on your summary. If anything that means you are telling me your summary is WRONG.

No. I mean that I put a disclaimer saying that my bullet points were summaries but not quotes. They are correct, but they are not word for word of what Darby said. I didn't write anything wrong. I am saying that the bullet points are meant to summarise, not quote accurately from a 15 minute interview, so don't take them as words off the tongue of the developer. My apologies for causing this confusion. I'll try and be more clear in the future.

AdamPearce
06-18-2013, 01:45 AM

Well that explains AC5. Why can't they simply give us answers? Finish what they began, sincerely I'm sick of all those cliffhangers and mysteries, oh it was nice with AC2, got better with ACB, had a little bit down in ACR and a bit annoying in AC3, and they continues...gosh.

Jexx21
06-18-2013, 02:54 AM
yesss... channel your inner Ziio.

Megas_Doux
06-18-2013, 02:56 AM
My bet would be like this:

Horningold: Pirate turned templar!
Vane: He total anarchic dude, that is dangerous even for the rest of its kind....

Hans684
06-18-2013, 06:03 AM
I agree. The TWCB arc is why we are exploring history. This is WHY all these assassins are tied. These stories aren't about Ezio. They aren't about Altaďr. They aren't about Edward. They aren't about Connor. It's about something far bigger than them. "Some thing that eludes their understanding". They are mere conduits as Ezio said. I don't get why they would view the matters that they are conduits to as "secondary". It's all about the TWCB IMO.

Thats not an option.