PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in AC4

Wolfmeister1010
06-16-2013, 04:23 PM
We already know that there is land based hunting and naval harpooning. However, I see a slight issue with the land hunting.

In AC3, Connor had his bow and arrow, which was the main hunting tool. If you used a gun, the pelt would be damaged and have less value.

My concern is that it doesn't seem that the bow will return in this game. So what can Edward use in hunting? Gun? No, because that will ruin the pelt. Blow pipe?.....I guess.... But it seems really unrealistic and inefficient.

I really hope that they bring back the bow as an optional weapon...specifically for hunting. It is possible that Edward can switch out his "back" weapons. Like, he could switch between a blowpipe, bow and arrow, and blunderbuss. I have seen screenshots of him without anything on his back, so it is possible that he can also de equip it. Whatever happens, I just hope that there is a realistic and effective way to hunt land prey.

lothario-da-be
06-16-2013, 04:40 PM
Maybe hunting will be more stealth orientated and we will have to use our hidden blade? idk, this is something i am wondering too. btw, wich hunteble animals are their in the Caribean?

cmrggamer
06-16-2013, 05:26 PM
You could use the Tomahawk and blade to hunt as well, drop down on unsuspecting animals from the trees.

I think there's a harpoon for whales. I'm not really sure what other kind of game you'd find on islands and in the cities.

montagemik
06-16-2013, 09:08 PM
We already know that there is land based hunting and naval harpooning. However, I see a slight issue with the land hunting.

In AC3, Connor had his bow and arrow, which was the main hunting tool. If you used a gun, the pelt would be damaged and have less value.

My concern is that it doesn't seem that the bow will return in this game. So what can Edward use in hunting? Gun? No, because that will ruin the pelt. Blow pipe?.....I guess.... But it seems really unrealistic and inefficient.

I really hope that they bring back the bow as an optional weapon...specifically for hunting. It is possible that Edward can switch out his "back" weapons. Like, he could switch between a blowpipe, bow and arrow, and blunderbuss. I have seen screenshots of him without anything on his back, so it is possible that he can also de equip it. Whatever happens, I just hope that there is a realistic and effective way to hunt land prey.

I'm fairly certain 'Blowpipes' are actually used for hunting - by jungle tribes. makes sense to sedate prey rather than waste energy chasing them through humid jungles or at high altitudes.
Hit an animal once with an arrow & fail to kill it - wasted time & effort . Blowpipe , 1 shot & the prey is tagged - isn't going far. Seems More than realistic / sensible & efficient to me.

Cornik22
06-17-2013, 02:08 PM
I think there's a harpoon for whales

The harpoon will be used for other animals as well, not only whales.

I'm fairly certain 'Blowpipes' are actually used for hunting - by jungle tribes

You're right. In fact, you will need to catch poisonous frogs to extract the venom and make darts for your blowpipe. Cool!

Escappa
06-17-2013, 02:13 PM
You're right. In fact, you will need to catch poisonous frogs to extract the venom and make darts for your blowpipe. Cool!

Are you sure?

roostersrule2
06-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Wait wouldn't the blow pipe poison put poison through the animal though and when you ate it you'd get sick?

pacmanate
06-17-2013, 02:20 PM
I want to carry a harpoon gun on my back at all times and hunt humans.

roostersrule2
06-17-2013, 02:22 PM
I want to carry a harpoon gun on my back at all times and hunt humans.And Nicholas Cage.

Ureh
06-17-2013, 02:59 PM
Wait wouldn't the blow pipe poison put poison through the animal though and when you ate it you'd get sick?

Maybe they use a dose that is fatal to the animals but are only enough to give humans a belly ache? or maybe the poison doesn't really ruin the meat as much as we think. :|

montagemik
06-17-2013, 03:29 PM

Just like poison & fast poison in previous AC's , The Blowpipe poison will be variable in strength/potency & lethality - temporary paralysis / sleep/ vomiting.
Tribes people would dilute various toxins/venoms depending on the effect required. Killing instantly isn't neccessarily it's purpose.

I've used it before in similar games, useful for undetected Ship boarding assassinations at Night & as a snorkel while ducking underwater to avoid detection from guards on deck while approaching ,even on playstation 1 ;) - i doubt AC's new weapon's uses will be widely different .

Darts could possibly be retrievable & re-tipped /reloaded with poison/toxins collected acting as Ammo.
I speculated hunting snakes or frogs to make poisons few weeks ago in another thread, makes sense with a blowpipe as a specilist weapon.
( i liked how we could hunt & use venomous snakes in MGS:3 too)

Cornik22
06-17-2013, 04:46 PM
I've used it before in similar games, useful for undetected Ship boarding assassinations at Night & as a snorkel while ducking underwater to avoid detection from guards on deck while approaching ,even on playstation 1

Can you tell me the game/s?

Darts could possibly be retrievable & re-tipped /reloaded with poison/toxins collected acting as Ammo.

Basically the idea is that you buy the darts, and then you find different types of animals to get secondary effects, like poison from dart frogs (these amphibians are often called "dart frogs" due to the Amerindians' indigenous use of their toxic secretions to poison the tips of blowdarts).

http://i41.tinypic.com/2wq4cn6.jpg
They look amazing!

montagemik
06-18-2013, 02:53 AM
Can you tell me the game/s?

Assassins ,pirate hideouts on islands , blowpipe /snorkel when submerged , poison darts - daze , make vomit , render unconscious against enemies. underwater shoreline swimming , shark fighting , Assassinations on ships .

Sounds just like all new AC features doesn't it ?

Ureh
06-18-2013, 03:05 AM
Assassins ,pirate hideouts on islands , blowpipe /snorkel when submerged , poison darts - daze , make vomit , render unconscious against enemies. underwater shoreline swimming , shark fighting , Assassinations on ships .

Sounds just like all new AC features doesn't it ?

I think Cornik wants to know the name/title of the games that have those features.

----
Btw, can we practice taxidermy or build a zoo with the animals? Maybe even train them to fight for us? Why stop at hunting right? :P