PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed 4 GOTY?

Wolfmeister1010
06-15-2013, 02:20 AM
I don't believe any assassins creed has ever won the spike game of the year award. I think the first two were candidates, as well as AC3 (ac3 was received WAY better by critics than gamers) but never won. AC1 was the beginning of the franchise, so it didn't have what it took yet to be GOTY. AC2 was definitely a worthy candidate. All the other games since have always been good at some thing and failed at others. I long for the day when there is another "perfect AC".

It seems like that game could be AC4. Don't get me wrong, I thought that way about AC3 as well, but I just feel it about AC4 more strongly. I believe that ubisoft has really understood now that they are not giving us fine enough quality products and are really working to make the game good. I believe this because, after ac1 they had nothing tomfear, after ac2 they had nothing to fear, acb wasn't quite as good as ac2 but still was good enough for the gamers so they had nothing to fear. After revelations, they really kinda failed but didn't think much of it because they probably thought "oh it's just because we are doing too much evil and as soon as we put in the new numbered title it will be just as good as AC2. Now, after ac3, they probably have realized that they are really at risk. They were very confident in their product, yet the game was received so badly. This is the first time IMO that ubisoft really understands that they need to get their **** together. For this reason, I really believe that AC4 could be the best AC ever. This is not something I said about ac3. I just feel......different about AC4.

In my opinion, the games that could be huge potential competitors for GOTY are The last of us, bio shock infinite (altough that game was probably overshot by the last of us), GTA 5 (has the biggest fan base in the WORLD so will be nominated no matter what), Watch Dogs, and perhaps even MGSV (never played those games but hear good feelings about it). I don't think that AC4 has proved itself enough to be a part of that.

I mean, AC4 has definitely talked the talk, and if they were to include EVERYTHING they say will be in the game and it all works out, then AC4 could definitely be GOTY. However, much stuff from AC3 was also promised and left out (naval free roam. Random encounters, canoes, stealth, even promised better mission freedom LLLLOOOOLLLL) so everyone is and has every right to be very skeptical. The demo looked promising enough, but I refuse to be excited until I actually see a demo of things like exploration, improved stealth, and fun free roam. I don't feel like the demo showed stealth pretty much. As the only stealth in that demo was stealth that was already in AC3. I want to see enemy AI, combat, free roam, all that stuff before I really get excited.

While many things were left out of AC3, those things were not really advertised much. I mean, canoes were only shown in a single pic, random encounters were only mentioned once in a beta stage Boston demo, and naval free roaming was basically cut from the beginning. The things that they promised and used as the advertsing highlights (hunting, frontier, snow, tree running, naval combat) was all there. They were just not made very well. In AC4, they are really repeatedly promising many many things, so that gives me some hope. I really believe that ubisoft is betting their **** together.

What do you think? As of NOW do you think that AC4 could be the best AC and even possibly GOTY, or do you think it will fail or at least be as disappointing as AC3?

BTW I don't want to be hating on AC3. I actually really liked the game. It is just that in terms of what was promised vs what was given was a huge disappointment.

roostersrule2
06-15-2013, 02:26 AM
No way will AC4 win GOTY it has The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto V, Bioshock Infinite, Watch Dogs, Batman Arkham Origins and whatever else is coming out this year to compete with.

ze_topazio
06-15-2013, 02:26 AM
There are many GOTY awards and none is necessarily more credible than the others, so winning specifically the Spike award won't mean much.

Wolfmeister1010
06-15-2013, 02:33 AM
I don't think batman will win, because from the demos it is the EXACT SAME THING as the previous one from HUD to combat to gadgets to graphics to everything. I think it will be a great game, but not GOTY.

roostersrule2
06-15-2013, 02:36 AM
I don't think batman will win, because from the demos it is the EXACT SAME THING as the previous one from HUD to combat to gadgets to graphics to everything. I think it will be a great game, but not GOTY.Oh okay I haven't really watched much of it I just know that the previous ones were up for GOTY.

Assassin_M
06-15-2013, 02:48 AM
Tough competition...no

Wolfmeister1010
06-15-2013, 03:32 AM
Tough competition...no

You don't think it even has a chance?

BATISTABUS
06-15-2013, 03:34 AM
Only if it delivers on everything promised without errors and then some.

Assassin_M
06-15-2013, 03:37 AM
Of course it has a chance, every game does, but from what i`m seeing right now and so far, from the rising indie works and stiff AAA competition....i`m just saying that no, I don`t think it`ll snatch GoTY

AC III got a GoTY award....AC II didn't....i`m just saaaayin`. Seriously...AC II had some STIFF competition...

monster_rambo
06-15-2013, 03:38 AM

Sorry, this year, the number of games that was and will be released is simply too strong for ACIV. I imagine it will recieve a rating from 7-9 depending on the game review. Fans of this series will probably rate from 6-10. But this year, the competition is too stiff.

Wolfmeister1010
06-15-2013, 03:38 AM
Of course it has a chance, every game does, but from what i`m seeing right now and so far, from the rising indie works and stiff AAA competition....i`m just saying that no, I don`t think it`ll snatch GoTY

AC III got a GoTY award....AC II didn't....i`m just saaaayin`. Seriously...AC II had some STIFF competition...

Alright different question, on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being no and 10 being yes, do you think AC4 will deliver everything it claims?

Assassin_M
06-15-2013, 03:45 AM
Alright different question, on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being no and 10 being yes, do you think AC4 will deliver everything it claims?
How about 6? What`s 6? xD :P

roostersrule2
06-15-2013, 03:47 AM

AC III got a GoTY award....AC II didn't....i`m just saaaayin`. Seriously...AC II had some STIFF competition...AC2 got about 4.

Wolfmeister1010
06-15-2013, 03:49 AM
How about 6? What`s 6? xD :P

6 means that it will deliver a lot but also leave a lot out. It will deliver a little but more than it leaves out

Assassin_M
06-15-2013, 03:51 AM
6 means that it will deliver a lot but also leave a lot out. It will deliver a little but more than it leaves out
then it`s 6

AC2 got about 4.
game of the year, not action game of the year or 360 game of the year

monster_rambo
06-15-2013, 03:54 AM
Given their poor track record. I would say a 4 out of 10. I would say that everything they said about exploring islands and sailing the ocean is true. The frontier and havana looks impressive even though the e3 demo was garbage. The other **** such as "random" events. nah, ain't gonna happen.

roostersrule2
06-15-2013, 03:54 AM
game of the year, not action game of the year or 360 game of the yearYea I know.

DarthEzio55
06-15-2013, 04:04 AM
I have a feeling that AC IV won't win, but will be nominated. TLOU should take the GOTY.

Wolfmeister1010
06-15-2013, 04:15 AM
Ok. Wow this is sorta bumming me out I kinda regret asking

Escappa
06-15-2013, 04:16 AM

9...My glass is half-full until someone drinks it up...meaning I really belive in Ubisoft until they proove otherwise, IF they proove otherwise .

Wolfmeister1010
06-15-2013, 04:19 AM
Lets all assume that it does deliver everything it claims. Then do you think it'll be able to compete with the top titles?

Assassin_M
06-15-2013, 04:19 AM
Ok. Wow this is sorta bumming me out I kinda regret asking
Woah Woah....Alright look, i`m not saying it`s gonna be a BAD game HURR DURR, i`m just saying that there`s heavy competition this year :D

and 6 aint so bad, my friend I HOPE they get 6 out of 10 of what they promised......

roostersrule2
06-15-2013, 04:30 AM
Lets all assume that it does deliver everything it claims. Then do you think it'll be able to compete with the top titles?Yes it's a AAA game and most AAA games are all pretty similar in terms of revenue and acclaim .

Jexx21
06-15-2013, 06:18 AM
For some reason I actually feel like ACIV is going to be a great game.

AC2_alex
06-15-2013, 07:01 AM
I fully expect AC4 to be the best improvement from its predecessor since AC2 was from AC1. I have high hopes for AC4 but I don't think it can compete with the likes of Bioshock, The Last of Us, and who knows.... maybe Watch Dogs will kick ***.

roostersrule2
06-15-2013, 07:04 AM
I fully expect AC4 to be the best improvement from its predecessor since AC2 was from AC1. I have high hopes for AC4 but I don't think it can compete with the likes of Bioshock, The Last of Us, and who knows.... maybe Watch Dogs will kick ***.I'm thinking AC4 will be to AC3 as to what ACB/ACR were to AC2, not so much better but a lot more polished, better gameplay.

AC2_alex
06-15-2013, 07:43 AM
I'm thinking AC4 will be to AC3 as to what ACB/ACR were to AC2, not so much better but a lot more polished, better gameplay.

I'd be happy with that too. The biggest problem with AC3 was that it didn't have enough polish.

Assassin_M
06-15-2013, 07:45 AM
The biggest problem with AC3 was that it didn't have enough polish.
It didn't have enough anything...

It didn't have enough Connor development
It didn't have enough Desmond development
It didn't have enough polish
It didn't have enough FUN side missions

pacmanate
06-15-2013, 08:13 AM
No way will AC4 win GOTY it has The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto V, Bioshock Infinite, Watch Dogs, Batman Arkham Origins and whatever else is coming out this year to compete with.

This. So far The Last of Us is winning, way more gripping and emotional than Bioshock and has a better narrative. As The Last of Us is new and fresh I think it will beat Bioshock, Watch_Dogs (only because its basically still a shooter) and Batman (because its just Arkham City with a few bits added on top). The competition for GoTY this year I think will be between GTAV and The Last of Us. AC wont even come close, it doesnt deserve it imo, hasn't changed hardly at all every year and the quality has been staying at the same level which helps it to get stale.

Sushiglutton
06-15-2013, 08:53 AM
I don't think it has any chance what so ever. Games released yearly typically don't win awards. On the up side they get to make a few hundred million dollars every year, which is some comfort ;). AC4 looks like a reskinned AC3, a game that wasn't even among the top ten nominees on several sites. If they want to compete with games like TLOU, Bioshock:I and GTA5 in terms of quality I think they need more time. But obv I have full respect for this being a business first.

dxsxhxcx
06-15-2013, 09:13 AM
It seems like that game could be AC4. Don't get me wrong, I thought that way about AC3 as well, but I just feel it about AC4 more strongly. I believe that ubisoft has really understood now that they are not giving us fine enough quality products and are really working to make the game good. I believe this because, after ac1 they had nothing tomfear, after ac2 they had nothing to fear, acb wasn't quite as good as ac2 but still was good enough for the gamers so they had nothing to fear. After revelations, they really kinda failed but didn't think much of it because they probably thought "oh it's just because we are doing too much evil and as soon as we put in the new numbered title it will be just as good as AC2. Now, after ac3, they probably have realized that they are really at risk. They were very confident in their product, yet the game was received so badly. This is the first time IMO that ubisoft really understands that they need to get their **** together. For this reason, I really believe that AC4 could be the best AC ever. This is not something I said about ac3. I just feel......different about AC4.

if they were so worried about it they wouldn't release AC4 one year after AC3..

shobhit7777777
06-15-2013, 10:09 AM
I think it has a shot

This game is doing things that are extremely popular with a majority of the gaming demographic

Pirates? Sailing Ships and exploring Islands? Cities to mess about in and seamless sea-land transitions? RPG elements?

Yea...its basically taking concepts which are already part of pop cultural mythos and pushing it

I can already see critics creaming their pants over how engaging it is to move from island to island hunting for treasure then suddenly spotting a whale that they decide to hunt but end up raiding a Spanish armada.

This game is taking open world and implementing it in a very very cool setting....It is bound to capture the imagination of the mainstream.

That said

Its a tough year

roostersrule2
06-15-2013, 10:11 AM
I think it has a shot

This game is doing things that are extremely popular with a majority of the gaming demographic

Pirates? Sailing Ships and exploring Islands? Cities to mess about in and seamless sea-land transitions? RPG elements?

Yea...its basically taking concepts which are already part of pop cultural mythos and pushing it

I can already see critics creaming their pants over how engaging it is to move from island to island hunting for treasure then suddenly spotting a whale that they decide to hunt but end up raiding a Spanish armada.

This game is taking open world and implementing it in a very very cool setting....It is bound to capture the imagination of the mainstream.

That said

Its a tough yearYea but people are getting bored of the franchise.

shobhit7777777
06-15-2013, 10:18 AM
Yea but people are getting bored of the franchise.

Precisely....and this new setting is a completely different world....the Piracy aspect would be more than enough to keep things fresh.

roostersrule2
06-15-2013, 10:23 AM
Precisely....and this new setting is a completely different world....the Piracy aspect would be more than enough to keep things fresh.Maybe but one thing that restricts this game so much is that it's an Assassins Creed game.

dex3108
06-15-2013, 10:28 AM
AC game will never be GOTY while there is no any emotional moments. They reached GOTY moment in AC2 and one of the reasons is that Ezio had emotions. After that game 0, nothing emotional in game. For me AC2 Intro is still one of the best Intros in video games ever. And it have even more meaning after you finish AC2.

roostersrule2
06-15-2013, 10:30 AM
AC game will never be GOTY while there is no any emotional moments. They reached GOTY moment in AC2 and one of the reasons is that Ezio had emotions. After that game 0, nothing emotional in game. For me AC2 Intro is still one of the best Intros in video games ever. And it have even more meaning after you finish AC2.I've had more emotional moments in AC then that but no, emotional moments do not win GOTY awards, look at Skyrim.

lothario-da-be
06-15-2013, 10:47 AM
With the last of us there is no chance of getting GOTY. That game had more 10/10 's then all the ac games together.

Assassin_M
06-15-2013, 11:01 AM
AC game will never be GOTY while there is no any emotional moments. They reached GOTY moment in AC2 and one of the reasons is that Ezio had emotions. After that game 0, nothing emotional in game. For me AC2 Intro is still one of the best Intros in video games ever. And it have even more meaning after you finish AC2.
Emotional moments don`t bag you GoTY awards, no...at least not just them

True_Assassin92
06-15-2013, 12:49 PM
AC 3 has disappointed many because of what was promised, but also because we've all put up too high expectations. I think that if you don't read as much through these forums and don't know too much about the next AC, you'd be pleasantly surprised. We won't be that disappointed if we don't put up these high expectations, but then again they shouldn't create them either and that's going the right way at the moment. They're not crying out loud that this game will be superior, innovative and astounding like they did for AC 3.

Will_Lucky
06-15-2013, 01:28 PM
Considering Last of Us is out this year, that will take everything.

SixKeys
06-15-2013, 02:12 PM
Judging by the reviews The Last of Us has already gotten, what with game sites calling it one of the best games of this generation, I'm inclined to think it's practically already won. Batman: Arkham Origins may turn out to be really good, but it's still a continuation of a series and therefore more of the same whereas Last of Us is original. Bioshock Infinite got good reviews, but more mixed than Last of Us. I don't think AC4 stands a chance. Even if it turns out to be more polished than AC3, they are still too similar.

poptartz20
06-15-2013, 06:05 PM
Okay... Honestly I wrote a thread about this a while back ago. now that time had progressed and I'm currently playing the last of us. Hahaha. yeah, this is a joke.

HAVE YOU PLAYED THE LAST OF US!?

This game is no joke. It's simply stunning.

Now... as far as best characters or something like that AC4 might stand a chance! then again...

Wolfmeister1010
06-15-2013, 06:27 PM
Okay... Honestly I wrote a thread about this a while back ago. now that time had progressed and I'm currently playing the last of us. Hahaha. yeah, this is a joke.

HAVE YOU PLAYED THE LAST OF US!?

This game is no joke. It's simply stunning.

Now... as far as best characters or something like that AC4 might stand a chance! then again...

I have played the last of us and it is one of the best games I have ever played.

I don't think it will WIN GOTY, no way, but so you think it will like...you know...be a candidate? Like one out of 4 candidates?