PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding AC4 pc version

IMRicko
06-14-2013, 04:43 PM
We know the game is coming to next gen as well as current gen consoles. On next gen version, it is said that the game will have better graphics, water physics, better AI etc. What I want to know is will AC4 for pc equal to next gen or current gen? *Sorry for my english

bolz87
06-15-2013, 12:59 PM
Good question, i hope Ubisoft Kiev is NOT involved with PC version, or we have a really bad game!

AherasSTRG
06-15-2013, 02:11 PM
AC4 is first being developed for the PC and then ported over to PS4 and X1. Therefore, the PC version is going to be at least equal to the quality of the PS4 and X1 versions.

salman147
06-16-2013, 11:41 AM
We know the game is coming to next gen as well as current gen consoles. On next gen version, it is said that the game will have better graphics, water physics, better AI etc. What I want to know is will AC4 for pc equal to next gen or current gen? *Sorry for my english

The PC version will have equal graphics and features as that of the PS4 or even higher.Because:
1)PC is the lead platform.So developers are over hauling the graphics to an extent that they'll have to tune it down for the PS4.Ashraf Ismail said that.
2)Even the E3 2013 Demo was running on a PC as powerful as the PS4.So,that proves that the PC will have all the good features like the PS4 version.

bolz87
06-16-2013, 01:45 PM
The PC version will have equal graphics and features as that of the PS4 or even higher.Because:
1)PC is the lead platform.So developers are over hauling the graphics to an extent that they'll have to tune it down for the PS4.Ashraf Ismail said that.
2)Even the E3 2013 Demo was running on a PC as powerful as the PS4.So,that proves that the PC will have all the good features like the PS4 version.
I hope the last sentence is not true. The E3 Demo was horrible in a tecnical way (freezes and problems)

AherasSTRG
06-16-2013, 02:33 PM
I hope the last sentence is not true. The E3 Demo was horrible in a tecnical way (freezes and problems)
That was probably a hardware and not a software problem. Both the PS4 and the X1 (especially PS4) froze in a number of demos during the conferences.

BlastThyName
06-16-2013, 03:44 PM
As rightfully said, the PC will share the same feature set as the next-gen versions since it's the lead platform.

The relevant question we should ask ourselves is what kind of PC will it take to max the game out or achieve visual parity with the XB1/PS4 versions.

I don't have the faintest idea to be honnest but I wouldn't bet against anything below a GTX680/Radeon 7970.
Yeah, PC hardware (in general) has some serious catching up to do thanks to those new consoles and I hope Nvidia and AMD realize that.

AherasSTRG
06-16-2013, 05:15 PM
I don't have the faintest idea to be honnest but I wouldn't bet against anything below a GTX680/Radeon 7970.
Yeah, PC hardware (in general) has some serious catching up to do thanks to those new consoles and I hope Nvidia and AMD realize that.
That's not true at all. In fact, a PS4 struggles to be as powerful as a mid-range PC for casual gamers. More precisely:
-- PS4's VGA has a calculating power of 1.84 TFLOPS, which is close to the calculating power of a GTX 660. GTX 660 costs around 200 euros and is one of the standard video cards one is using when building a cheap gaming computer. The video cards you are refering to have 3.1 (GTX 680) and 3.3 (7970) TFLOPS of power. That is around 1.4 TFLOPS more than PS4's AMD VGA. And I am not even going to talk about the new generation of GTX cards which can hit up to 3.7 TFlops of calculating power (that is like having 2 PS4s running together to support the same game).
-- PS4 also has a Hard Disk capable of storing 500 GB of information == 50 euros
-- PS4 has a unified RAM of 8GB for both the VGA and the games running. A PC has seperate fully operational RAMs each dedicated to a single purpose. 8 GB RAM = 60 euros
-- And finally, the only thing we know about the CPU the new consoles are going to have is that it is 8-core, it is in 64-bit and it is AMD powered. This does not say much, since we are unable to know the exact speed of its clock (aka, the GHz in which it operates). Let alone the fact that AMD CPUs are far inferior to their supposed Intel equivelants. 8-core AMD CPU = 150 euros
It can be clearly seen that one can build a PC equal to (or better than) a PS4 with just 600 euros and a PC can do a ton more things than a PS4. Also, PCs evolve every years and they can be upgraded. In two years' time, a 600 euros PC is going to be twice or even three times better than PS4 or X1, while console game developers are going to be stuck with technology which is played out, even today, as we speak.
One might say that I have not talked about X1 at all. That is because X1 is slightly inferior to PS4 in terms of specs, therefore what I am writing about the PS4 also apply to the X1 (maybe even to a greater degree).

BlastThyName
06-16-2013, 05:47 PM
That's not true at all. In fact, a PS4 struggles to be as powerful as a mid-range PC for casual gamers. More precisely:
-- PS4's VGA has a calculating power of 1.84 TFLOPS, which is close to the calculating power of a GTX 660. GTX 660 costs around 200 euros and is one of the standard video cards one is using when building a cheap gaming computer. The video cards you are refering to have 3.1 (GTX 680) and 3.3 (7970) TFLOPS of power. That is around 1.4 TFLOPS more than PS4's AMD VGA. And I am not even going to talk about the new generation of GTX cards which can hit up to 3.7 TFlops of calculating power (that is like having 2 PS4s running together to support the same game).
-- PS4 also has a Hard Disk capable of storing 500 GB of information == 50 euros
-- PS4 has a unified RAM of 8GB for both the VGA and the games running. A PC has seperate fully operational RAMs each dedicated to a single purpose. 8 GB RAM = 60 euros
-- And finally, the only thing we know about the CPU the new consoles are going to have is that it is 8-core, it is in 64-bit and it is AMD powered. This does not say much, since we are unable to know the exact speed of its clock (aka, the GHz in which it operates). Let alone the fact that AMD CPUs are far inferior to their supposed Intel equivelants. 8-core AMD CPU = 150 euros
It can be clearly seen that one can build a PC equal to (or better than) a PS4 with just 600 euros and a PC can do a ton more things than a PS4. Also, PCs evolve every years and they can be upgraded. In two years' time, a 600 euros PC is going to be twice or even three times better than PS4 or X1, while console game developers are going to be stuck with technology which is played out, even today, as we speak.
One might say that I have not talked about X1 at all. That is because X1 is slightly inferior to PS4 in terms of specs, therefore what I am writing about the PS4 also apply to the X1 (maybe even to a greater degree).

I was talking generally, what you described is a tiny amount of the PC hardware after all. Besides, the raw number of flops is not the full picture. 8gb of GDDR5 and the HSA will rival many high-end rigs for years to come. You seem to underestimate the thickness of the DX11 API also, the console have the advantage of being coded to the metal. You don't have any low level access to the hardware on PC, unlike consoles. GDDR5 is twice as fast as DDR3.
The fact is the PS4 is much more powerful than 90% of the gaming PCs out there for the time being.

I believe that 2gb of GDDR5 is not nearly enough to handle next-gen ports at max settings. 4gb cards exist but they are hardly the majority and I hope Maxwell will come with 4gb of GDDR5 on the X70 series.

AherasSTRG
06-16-2013, 06:56 PM
I was talking generally, what you described is a tiny amount of the PC hardware after all. Besides, the raw number of flops is not the full picture.
What I described was the components of a PC utilised to play a game. All those components have characteristics that can be found in all mid-range hardware of the computer market. In the price I included 140 euros for the rest of the components needed to build a full PC leading to the final price of 600 euros.

8gb of GDDR5 and the HSA will rival many high-end rigs for years to come. You seem to underestimate the thickness of the DX11 API also, the console have the advantage of being coded to the metal. You don't have any low level access to the hardware on PC, unlike consoles.GDDR5 is twice as fast as DDR3.
As I said, all specs presented to be in PS4 and X1 are mid range PC specs, except for the GDDR5 RAM you are referring to. However, on one hand, the memory is shared with the VGA and on the other hand, RAM usage and performance is greatly affected by the operating system, not just by the core architecture of the machine. In that aspect, consoles only just started including proper immitations of an operating system (And anyway, since when did AMD become a good RAM manufacturer?).

The fact is the PS4 is much more powerful than 90% of the gaming PCs out there for the time being.
How? Why? When? From what we know, it is more than clear that a PS4's specs are inferior to that of a good gaming PC. Only RAM seems to be better than that of a PC. And yet, memory usage greatly depends on the operating system which is a software and not a hardware issue. Nevertheless, RAM is the least significant component of the 3 (VGA, CPU, RAM) when playing a game.

Bad213Boy
06-17-2013, 08:43 PM
You can almost guarantee the PC version will be have better Graphics. This is the case for every AC game in the past, which is why PC version is always the last to be released. I just hope this new "entire open world" concept doesn't break every freaking PC out there. I feel sorry for anyone who will have an AMD PC in the present and future.

I know AMD users had a hard time having smooth frame rates in Boston and the Frontier, since the game was processor heavy, even the AMD processor eight core can't compete with the performance from an intel quad core. If you've ever looked at your Cores when AC3 is playing, you'll see that 1 core is at full load while the others are not even 25% full. I don't know if this was the result of pour programming, the porting from console to PC, or the result of designing implementing the new Haswell's instruction set. The new instructions are designed so that each Core can work on the same task together, as appose to previous Intel designs. But if AC4 is still one Core top heavy for what ever reason, you'll need a serious processor to push a traditionally heavy processor game like this in an entire open world.

Why PS4 processor was designed by AMD is the real question. I'd much rather see Intel kill the console industry with their processors. Haswell offers lower power, lower heat, and almost twice the performance of any AMD chip. Regardless of whether AMD is working closely with Sony in the design, I'd rather go with Intel any day.

And BTW, we can all thank Torrents to cause of Game Designers loosing any desire to care to the PC industry. Everyone caters to where the money is, and that's the consoles. Consoles are the least pirated between PCs and Consoles.