PDA

View Full Version : Tons of new info about AC Black Flag!

Cornik22
06-14-2013, 12:14 AM
Some will be new to you, some won't. Enjoy! :p

- Harpooning is tied to the progression system of Edward, which means that by harpooning you can upgrade Kenway. Also, you can harpoon different animals, not only whales.

- There are 75 playas and sandbanks, small undiscovered beaches and areas full of treasures and content.

- The naval world includes random events like dangerous storms. You will have to navigate very carefully, save crew members to minimize casualties and avoid lightning bolts.

- New aiming system in naval combat. Now you can control the height and distance of your shots, which is especially useful during storms to shoot over waves.

- New “heavy shot” for naval combat. Deadly up close, but weak at a distance.

- New naval archetype, “the charger”. This ship builds up a lot of speed and then tries to ram you, so you don’t want to be close to it. The best way to destroy it is the mortar, the longest ranged weapon at sea. Aim with the spyglass for maximum accuracy and then shoot.

- Your crew is very important. You mainly need them for naval combat and boarding, and they’re fully upgradable. If you don’t have enough crew to board the bigger ships, you will fail. You can hire new crew in taverns, finding them in deserted islands (“shipwrecked sailors”), saving them from hostile situations,…

- You can find collectable songs that you can get your crew to sing in your voyages.

- Spaniards and British are hostile to each other the whole game, because even when they were supposed to be at peace, there were tensions between them. When their ships cross each other, they will battle. You can help one side, the other, or attack both if you are powerful enough.

- Your first mate is a big black man called Adewale. If he sees anything potentially interesting to you, he will point in the direction and tell you whatever is happening there. Is up to you to take advantage of the situation or ignore it.

- Forts can be taken down with your ship, or stealthily infiltrating them. Once their defenses are down, you have to kill the captain of the fort.

- In plantations, you have to find the owner and steal a key to get access to his resources and cargo. You can approach this places guns blazing, but it will be highly difficult. It’s easier to use your stealth, but if you get detected bells will ring and you will be surrounded by new types of enemies.

- Guards will be tougher than in any previous AC. “Gunners” are so deadly, that you will want to take them out from behind or just avoid them at all cost.

- You can now free aim with your guns. If you want to kill your enemies quickly, try headshots as much as possible. If you don’t want to attract attention to yourself, use the blowpipe instead. The blowpipe is upgradable, which means there are different types of ammo. You can put your enemies to sleep, poison them and make them go berserk,… If you poison them, they’ll attack anyone they see, including animals or their own friends.

- There’s no brotherhood, because it doesn’t make sense in this setting and with this character, and it would have made Edward too powerful. Instead, you have to take care of your pirate crew.

- When Edward starts being trained by assassins, he is still not sure if he wants to really help them or not.

- The main islands (Cuba, Jamaica and New Providence) aren’t 100% explorable, but there are “pockets” of land that you can explore, especially in Cuba. You can’t go too far into the interior, tough.

- Port Royale is in the game, close to Kingston and fully explorable.

- The whole world opens to you after about an hour into the game. It’s done this way to make sure the player won’t feel overwhelmed at the beginning.

- There are LGS o “linear game sequences”. Some of these missions take place outside of the Caribbean.

- When you plunder a ship you can make it part of Kenway’s fleet, and then manage your fleet to trade goods outside of the Caribbean (pretty much like naval trading in AC III), and also send them to plunder in other parts of the world for you.

- When you go to a random island a message pops up telling you what is hidden there, so you can decide whether it’s worth finding it or not. You can turn off this option if you want, to make things harder.

- If you’ve been to a place, you can always fast travel there. Also, if you synchronize with a high point, you can teleport to that particular point whenever you want. If you want to get back to the Jackdaw quickly, look around for row boats and avoid swimming.

Assassin_M
06-14-2013, 12:19 AM
Okay, when will they announce that half of this is removed in the final game?:)

silvermercy
06-14-2013, 12:19 AM
Thanks! :)

Also, you can harpoon different animals, not only whales.
Fat Templars?? ;p

Bashilir
06-14-2013, 12:25 AM
Thanks! :)

Fat Templars?? ;p

I would do this at any oppurtunity given.

AdamPearce
06-14-2013, 12:30 AM
Your first mate is a big black man called Adewale.

Why Ubisoft? Why!!!

OMG I already see the pics on tumblr...

roostersrule2
06-14-2013, 12:33 AM
- There are LGS “linear game sequences”. Some of these missions take place outside of the Caribbean.I'm gonna go ahead and say that confirms London.

ArabianFrost
06-14-2013, 12:34 AM

They don't. We just get surprisingly disappointed when it actually isn't in the actual product.

ArabianFrost
06-14-2013, 12:39 AM
I think we've seen adeewale in the trailer. I have to say, I quite like him. He seems like the perfect companion to Edward and I knew he was important when he kept popping up into each trailer.

As for the LGS, I like they actually categorised them, possibly indicating that they are few, still I doubt we'll be disappointed.

I am calling locations for LGS:
Aveline in North America
Connor in the Carribean
Edward in Bristol
Edward in London? I really doubt it. By the time we go to London he would have conceived Haytham, so we wouldn't be able to play with edward.

LoyalACFan
06-14-2013, 12:45 AM
I'm gonna go ahead and say that confirms London.
Nah, I'm gonna say these are the Connor/Aveline/Haytham cameos people have been buzzing about. Probably in the northern US.

LoyalACFan
06-14-2013, 12:47 AM
- The naval world includes random events like dangerous storms. You will have to navigate very carefully, save crew members to minimize casualties and avoid lightning bolts.

- If you’ve been to a place, you can always fast travel there. Also, if you synchronize with a high point, you can teleport to that particular point whenever you want. If you want to get back to the Jackdaw quickly, look around for row boats and avoid swimming.

:rolleyes:

BATISTABUS
06-14-2013, 01:32 AM
- You can find collectable songs that you can get your crew to sing in your voyages.
This is amazing.

Oh my...this all sounds too good to be true.

ArabianFrost
06-14-2013, 01:52 AM
This is amazing.

We had a HUGE thread about the possibilities. Actually, there are over 75 song/sea shanties that your crew can sing to you.

ArabianFrost
06-14-2013, 01:56 AM
This is amazing.

forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/775202-Black-Flag-brings-new-life-to-a-tired-franchise/page3

This thread is ripe with awesome pirate songs. Haul on the bowline, that was surprisingly in AC3, is my favorite.

Jexx21
06-14-2013, 02:01 AM
Edward in London? I really doubt it. By the time we go to London he would have conceived Haytham, so we wouldn't be able to play with edward.
He conceives Haytham in ​London.

GunnarGunderson
06-14-2013, 04:47 AM

That would imply that it was there in the first place

Moultonborough
06-14-2013, 06:58 AM
Some will be new to you, some won't. Enjoy! :p

- The main islands (Cuba, Jamaica and New Providence) aren’t 100% explorable, but there are “pockets” of land that you can explore, especially in Cuba. You can’t go too far into the interior, tough.

This Sucks. It's only the coastline? What the point then if it's 60% of the game?

TheDanteEX
06-14-2013, 07:18 AM
Well you couldn't seriously have expected the entire islands, right? Although it's strange because I recall the whole "Animus barrier" has been removed, and since we know larger ships protect late-game islands, what keeps the islands from being explored? Probably nothing interesting, really.

Assassin_M
06-14-2013, 07:33 AM
That explains why all of the trailer shots are from the same place.....it`s literally the farthest they can go

AjinkyaParuleka
06-14-2013, 07:52 AM
If this isn't in the final product,ubisoft,you're dead.

ACRules2
06-14-2013, 07:59 AM
Wow. This is some pretty good stuff!
Thanks, I'm actually building back my AC confidence that I partially lost after AC3. I'm loving the way this game is shaping up!

generallsj
06-14-2013, 08:00 AM
- In plantations, you have to find the owner and steal a key to get access to his resources and cargo. You can approach this places guns blazing, but it will be highly difficult. It’s easier to use your stealth, but if you get detected bells will ring and you will be surrounded by new types of enemies.

- Guards will be tougher than in any previous AC. “Gunners” are so deadly, that you will want to take them out from behind or just avoid them at all cost.

- The whole world opens to you after about an hour into the game. It’s done this way to make sure the player won’t feel overwhelmed at the beginning.

I can expect they are lying.

LoyalACFan
06-14-2013, 08:16 AM
This Sucks. It's only the coastline? What the point then if it's 60% of the game?

Are you freaking serious?

You actually expected the entire island of Cuba to be explorable? That's thousands of square miles! There will be desychronization walls if you go too far inland from Havana or any of the other coastal regions, just like with Rome, Florence, Boston, etc... The only difference is that one side of the city will be open to the ocean and you can sail out from the port.

Assassin_M
06-14-2013, 08:18 AM

You actually expected the entire island of Cuba to be explorable? That's thousands of square miles! There will be desychronization walls if you go too far inland from Havana or any of the other coastal regions, just like with Rome, Florence, Boston, etc... The only difference is that one side of the city will be open to the ocean and you can sail out from the port.
That of course depends on how much of Havana is on the coast:rolleyes:

LoyalACFan
06-14-2013, 08:19 AM
That of course depends on how much of Havana is on the coast:rolleyes:

Well... a good portion of it will be...? :confused: I don't understand what you're implying.

Assassin_M
06-14-2013, 08:26 AM
Well... a good portion of it will be...? :confused: I don't understand what you're implying.
Supposedly the only explorableportion of Havana will be the portion closer to the ocean, correct? It says we wont go into the interior too much...That`s what I mean by how much of Havana will be in the exterior....

LoyalACFan
06-14-2013, 08:40 AM
Supposedly the only explorableportion of Havana will be the portion closer to the ocean, correct? It says we wont go into the interior too much...That`s what I mean by how much of Havana will be in the exterior....

So you're speculating that the more inland portion of the city will be walled off? Nah, I don't think so. They're saying you can't go too far inland from the coastal regions in general, and Havana is just one of several coastal regions that will be present on the island of Cuba. There will also be pirate hideouts, beaches, etc. like the one in the demo (however the quality and "liveliness" of the demo area is still to be doubted, just like the Patriot camp in 3's demo). They're saying you can't go too far inland from those.

Besides, Havana's outskirts will probably only reach about a mile or so into the island, so I think getting the full city won't be a problem. It'll be just like Boston.

Assassin_M
06-14-2013, 08:53 AM
So you're speculating that the more inland portion of the city will be walled off? Nah, I don't think so. They're saying you can't go too far inland from the coastal regions in general, and Havana is just one of several coastal regions that will be present on the island of Cuba. There will also be pirate hideouts, beaches, etc. like the one in the demo (however the quality and "liveliness" of the demo area is still to be doubted, just like the Patriot camp in 3's demo). They're saying you can't go too far inland from those.

Besides, Havana's outskirts will probably only reach about a mile or so into the island, so I think getting the full city won't be a problem. It'll be just like Boston.
I don`t really have a problem with size of the city, heck I`d take small Havana if it means advanced AI....i`m just saying this, because they keep saying huge, they`v never been known to over exaggerate with size, but one can`t help, but doubt.....especially since EVERY trailer shows Havana from the exact same place

LoyalACFan
06-14-2013, 09:35 AM
I don`t really have a problem with size of the city, heck I`d take small Havana if it means advanced AI....i`m just saying this, because they keep saying huge, they`v never been known to over exaggerate with size, but one can`t help, but doubt.....especially since EVERY trailer shows Havana from the exact same place

I imagine that's probably because the most interesting architecture is there. That big cathedral thing looks just like something we might find in Renaissance Italy, and so many people complained about the city structures being small and boring in AC3. I reckon they're just trying to show some cooler buildings.

Assassin_M
06-14-2013, 09:42 AM
I imagine that's probably because the most interesting architecture is there. That big cathedral thing looks just like something we might find in Renaissance Italy, and so many people complained about the city structures being small and boring in AC3. I reckon they're just trying to show some cooler buildings.
Makes sense really....you`v a good point, especially considering their highlight on "charm" in trailers and gameplay, they`re most likely pandering to the disappointments of setting and protagonist in AC III

Ureh
06-14-2013, 10:14 AM
Maybe my copy of AC3 is bugged. But did anyone else notice that guards/npc dialogue seems to be in short supply (or completely lacking) when Connor is freerunning or knocks down items carried by npcs? Hope they come back.

ProletariatPleb
06-14-2013, 10:27 AM
And...sauce?

pacmanate
06-14-2013, 10:54 AM

Never :) until you pay for the game and find it out for yourself :) Its like hide and seek with no finding :)

Assassin_M
06-14-2013, 10:57 AM
Never :) until you pay for the game and find it out for yourself :) Its like hide and seek with no finding :)
Dodgy, Dodgy...I liiiiike iiiiit

Moultonborough
06-14-2013, 11:57 AM
Well you couldn't seriously have expected the entire islands, right? Although it's strange because I recall the whole "Animus barrier" has been removed, and since we know larger ships protect late-game islands, what keeps the islands from being explored? Probably nothing interesting, really.

Seriously? I know not the whole island don't be stupid. I mean besides walking next to or very close to the ocean all the time would be boring. What would be bad about a area (on land) like what the Frontier was in AC3 to be explorable besides the ocean being the only large place. Didn't mean anything else by it. No need to be sarcastic about it.

Sushiglutton
06-14-2013, 05:29 PM
So no improvements to the core gameplay. Seems about right. At least there will be a ton of sandbanks.

ArabianFrost
06-14-2013, 05:33 PM
So no improvements to the core gameplay. Seems about right. At least there will be a ton of sandbanks.

And playas what ever the hell they are.

Sushiglutton
06-14-2013, 05:37 PM
And playas what ever the hell they are.

myplay.com/files/video_stills/ugk_players2480.jpg

I think the difference is that they serve booze on playas :confused:

Gi1t
06-14-2013, 05:56 PM
I can expect they are lying.

Yeah, 'deadly' in AC will probably mean you take TWO bars of damage instead of the usual one. XD

And I find it odd they only mention one type of guard (one that doesn't sound very 'new').

Sushiglutton
06-14-2013, 06:00 PM
Yeah, 'deadly' in AC will probably mean you take TWO bars of damage instead of the usual one. XD

And I find it odd they only mention one type of guard (one that doesn't sound very 'new').

They may be used instead of desynch for some stealth missions. If you are spotted they will one-shot kill you or something. A more organic way to force stealth. It is possible. Will probably get patched though.

SixKeys
06-14-2013, 09:13 PM
Size doesn't really matter to me, as long as the locations are interesting.

I would have zero problem with guards that can one-shot you. This series desperately needs enemies that actually make us afraid of getting caught.

AC2_alex
06-14-2013, 09:15 PM
Dodgy, Dodgy...I liiiiike iiiiit

What a bunch-a-bollocks! I thought you's gonna 'andle 'at!

LoyalACFan
06-14-2013, 09:26 PM
Seriously? I know not the whole island don't be stupid. I mean besides walking next to or very close to the ocean all the time would be boring. What would be bad about a area (on land) like what the Frontier was in AC3 to be explorable besides the ocean being the only large place. Didn't mean anything else by it. No need to be sarcastic about it.

Every single map in AC3 was on the coast... we never went more than a mile or two inland.

Cornik22
06-14-2013, 11:30 PM
Another one:
There will be no missions that will become desynchronized if you get spotted. So, no more controller snappingly frustrating instafail stealth segments.

guardian_titan
06-14-2013, 11:34 PM
Every map may have been on the coast in AC3, but Connor certainly went more inland than a mile. Valley Forge is as far west as he goes in the game that we can travel to and that's like 75 miles or so inland. The frontier map is a lot larger than it looks when you match things up with a real map. Think Connor's village would be in northern New York or Vermont today, and Valley Forge is pretty much in Philadelphia's backyard. Well, they're like 20 miles apart, but closer to each other than New York is to Boston. Still can't figure out where Davenport is outside of being north of Boston. Doesn't help much and the map is pretty vague in that regard. The transition from Frontier to Davenport could skip 100 miles or better for all we know. The Frontier certainly doesn't link straight up to the Boston or New York maps. There's some distance skipped when transitioning. Obviously the Frontier couldn't be done to scale or the world would've been even more void of life than it is now.

I'm sure the main excuse as to why we can't travel inland in AC4 is due to the dense forest and terrain. There's also likely no reason to go that far in. Why would we need to dash through trees and catch malaria or something when they put nothing of interest there outside of maybe the obscure reference or something? They already put so much into other areas to get us to explore there instead. We have so much more to explore. Why focus so much on a single tiny detail like being to explore a rather empty island interior that serves no purpose to the story being told? If you want to explore those areas so badly, hop on a plane and go explore them yourself. Cuba's just a plane (or boat) trip away. It hasn't been blown off the map due to nuclear war or anything. Joy of this game is that it can be an introduction to an area and time in history. You want to know more, go research or see it for yourself. Can't have Ubisoft do it all for you. You'd be helping the Cuban economy if you go play tourist there just to explore the island. There's plenty of cruises in the area you can take.

As for everything else, I'm rather curious if we can add a lightening rod to the Jackdaw to avoid lightning strikes. >.> They did it with the Randolph (Biddle's ship in AC3).

Also curious how we get our crew to sing the songs. Do we talk to Adewale and get a dialogue option to pick what we want? Picking between 75 songs is a LOT of dialogue options. Do we pick the song via a menu option? Or do they just sing one randomly? Also curious if Edward can join in from time to time. :p Would be adorable if Jenny was in the game and Edward taught her a few songs himself. Few father-daughter pirate sing-alongs. :D

Then with forts, I guess we lose them from time to time like we did in Revelations. I didn't like or dislike den defense personally, but I'd rather not see that come back. Rather run into the fort with my crew guns blazing to take it back after I lost it than play a mini game that might end up more confusing than fun.

I wonder since we know now Aveline has 3 missions on the PS3/PS4 so we know the game will bounce forward to the 1780s, wonder if it will bounce back to Edward's earlier years prior to joining the King's Navy and tie into the book coming out on him. Also curious if Haytham or Connor will tie in somewhere, but that's a pretty common question. :p I'd settle for playing Connor's kid and seeing Connor through their eyes for a mission or two. :p

With taking ships, I know we can make them part of Kenway's fleet or apparently dismantle them to repair the fleet. What about the Jackdaw? Do we have to regularly repair the ship (thus is a regular expense through the game like Ezio having to repair and buy medicine in AC2), do we have to repair the ship by capturing others, or does the ship magically repair itself? If we have to take ships to repair the Jackdaw, what happens if the ship is barely keeping afloat and isn't strong enough to take down another ship to repair? The Jackdaw looked pretty torn up at the end of the demo at E3.

Liking the fast travel teleport options. The Caribbean is pretty vast and I know I likely won't want to dash back to the Jackdaw every time I want to go from Havana to Kingston or to Martinique from Nassau. Row boats I'm not too keen on, though. I hated the gondolas in AC2 and hated them in Liberation. Too clunky to control. Rather hop in a boat and tell one of my crew members to row for me. Hey, Edward's the captain. Why does he have to row his own boat? :p Granted, could say the same with Connor when he took Haytham to the Aquila. I would've handed Haytham some oars and told him to get rowing or get swimming. :D He could've helped row at least.

Assassin_M
06-15-2013, 12:41 AM
could say the same with Connor when he took Haytham to the Aquila. I would've handed Haytham some oars and told him to get rowing or get swimming. :D He could've helped row at least.
Ladies don`t row

Rugterwyper32
06-15-2013, 01:35 AM
Well, first, I see a few people wondering about the size of Havana. Well, worry not. We've seen only the area around the Cathedral, and you'll figure out how much of the area you've been really seeing with this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2f/Mapa_de_La_Habana_Vieja.JPG

And about the size of what you'll be able to visit, I'm assuming it'll go kinda like this

http://www.pennymead.com/images/BELLINN020315.jpg

Expand it slightly to the east and south, and I think that would look like a good size enough for the location.

As for Jamaica, I think they could base the explorable area on this

http://www.jamaicanfamilysearch.com/images2/KingstonPortRoyal.jpg

The Blue Mountains themselves would work as natural limits for where you can go, I think.

And then New Providence, which I'm convinced is the location we saw in the E3 demo

http://www.heritagecharts.com/shopimages/products/extras/A501_zoom_web.jpg

I think this covers it quite well

Cornik22
06-15-2013, 03:04 PM
Nope, the E3 demo wasn't in Nassau. It takes place in one of those pockets of land that I mentioned, in some hidden pirate base in Cuba. Nassaw will be something like that, but much bigger.

Rugterwyper32
06-15-2013, 04:40 PM
Nope, the E3 demo wasn't in Nassau. It takes place in one of those pockets of land that I mentioned, in some hidden pirate base in Cuba. Nassaw will be something like that, but much bigger.

I'm actually thinking you're right after checking Blackbeard's wikipedia page. The demo takes place in 1717 and he wasn't there at that time. Actually, I think I have an idea of what that sequence will be all about. People don't know about Blackbeard's movements between 1717 and 1718 for the most part, specially early 1717, so things could work with it:

"As a former British privateer, Hornigold attacked only his old enemies, but for his crew, the sight of British vessels filled with valuable cargo passing by unharmed became too much, and at some point toward the end of 1717 he was demoted. Whether Teach had any involvement in this decision is unknown, but Hornigold quickly retired from piracy. He took Ranger and one of the sloops, leaving Teach with Revenge and the remaining sloop. The two never met again, and with many other occupants of New Providence, Hornigold accepted the King's pardon from Woodes Rogers in June the following year."

Cornik22
06-15-2013, 06:55 PM
Actually, I think I have an idea of what that sequence will be all about. People don't know about Blackbeard's movements between 1717 and 1718 for the most part, specially early 1717, so things could work with it

That is in fact not true, we do know where he was almost month by month. That's why I posted this in another thread:

"And I still don’t' get why (Ishmail) keeps saying how the demo portrays an historical event, when in fact in September 1717 Blackbeard was in Nassau getting ready to sail in the Revenge with Stede Bonnet, whom he had met days before. There were no british hunting him at this point, no naval battle, no spy in his crew and he was not in any other place than New Providence first and then around Delaware Bay near the end of the month."

So I'm as confused as you, basically ;)

Rugterwyper32
06-15-2013, 07:14 PM
That is in fact not true, we do know where he was almost month by month. That's why I posted this in another thread:

"And I still don’t' get why (Ishmail) keeps saying how the demo portrays an historical event, when in fact in September 1717 Blackbeard was in Nassau getting ready to sail in the Revenge with Stede Bonnet, whom he had met days before. There were no british hunting him at this point, no naval battle, no spy in his crew and he was not in any other place than New Providence first and then around Delaware Bay near the end of the month."

So I'm as confused as you, basically ;)

Well, we'll have to make it to the core of this mystery, then. Because frankly, I don't even know what's up with the demo. The most I find regarding September that year is this

"early 1717, Hornigold and Teach, each captaining a sloop, set out for the mainland. They captured a boat carrying 120 barrels of flour out of Havana, and shortly thereafter took 100 barrels of wine from a sloop out of Bermuda. A few days later they stopped a vessel sailing from Madeira to Charleston, South Carolina. Teach and his quartermaster, William Howard, may at this time have struggled to control their crews. By then they had probably developed a taste for Madeira wine, and on 29 September near Cape Charles all they took from the Betty of Virginia was her cargo of Madeira, before they scuttled her with the remaining cargo."

So frankly, I'm wondering what they're going for

Cornik22
06-15-2013, 10:27 PM
Well, we'll have to make it to the core of this mystery, then

Let me help you with this one:

In August 1717 Blackbeard and Hornigold were in Nassau preparing an expedition up the eastern seaboard that never took place, but anyhow, Blackbeard knew he needed a better ship. Then, near the end of August, the "gentleman pirate" Stede Bonnet and his Revenge dropped anchor in Nassau for the first time.

In early September, Blackbeard and Bonnet made a pact. Blackbeard, and experienced sailor and pirate, would be in charge of the powerful Revenge, while Bonnet, inexperienced and badly injured from a previous battle, would continue to occupy the captain's cabin. Blackbeard spent the next weeks transferring men and cannons from his sloop to the Revenge, repairing the ship and turning it into a sloop-of-war. When he was ready to depart in mid-September, the Revenge was now equipped with 20 guns and 150 men, including Hornigold’s long time quartermaster William Howard. Days before Hornigold left Nassau to attend his own business, but he arranged to meet Blackbeard off the coast of Virginia in a few weeks.

In the middle of September Blackbeard was sailing up the Gulf Stream, in charge of his first independent command (previously he had always been under Hornigold’s command). Along the way to Virginia they captured the forty-ton sloop Betty, loaded with Madeira wine and other merchandise. Days later he started patrolling the entrance to the Delaware Bay, through which all of Philadelphia’s commerce passed. On September 29, Blackbeard donned his new terrifying battle attire for the first time: three brace of pistols hanging in holsters like bandoliers, and fuses lit under his hat to surround his face with a halo of smoke and fire. In the next days the crews of merchant ships would look at him, surrounded by an army of wild men bearing muskets, cutlasses and primitive grenades, and would all surrender without firing a shot.

By early October, the Revenge was still off the high sandy capes of Delaware waiting for prey. So yeah, that’s all. No hunting, no battle and no spy.

rileypoole1234
06-15-2013, 10:36 PM
Oh god this made me so excited. Please Ubi, leave everything on this list in the game for gods sake.

Ureh
06-15-2013, 10:42 PM
Another one:
There will be no missions that will become desynchronized if you get spotted. So, no more controller snappingly frustrating instafail stealth segments.

So now we'll have to roleplay as best as we can in a game that is not designed around stealth...again?! Guess we'll just have to wait and see... '_'

kriegerdesgottes
06-16-2013, 12:13 AM

HA it's funny cuz it's true.

Cornik22
06-16-2013, 12:51 AM
More info: Combat will be so tough fans won’t believe it. Now enemies’ attack faster and simultaneous attacks will be more frequent. The "gunner" archetype will kill you in 2 shots. Whenever you see gunners you're supposed to play stealth, otherwise they will probably kill you. Brutes will be much harder to kill and agiles much faster this time. There's less time to counter enemies, so you will have to master countering like in AC I. But they don't want to annoy fans, so the more you upgrade Edward the easier it will get. For those who want extra challenge in combat, they recommend NOT to upgrade Edward (so this is probably similar to AC II, where you could make combat harder by not purchasing armor, health potions, tougher weapons, ...)

There will be Watch Dogs easter eggs in the game, suggesting that maybe both games are part of the same universe (hopefully this is not true and those are just easter eggs. WTF?!?)

ArabianFrost
06-16-2013, 01:03 AM
More info: Combat will be so tough fans won’t believe it. Now enemies’ attack faster and simultaneous attacks will be more frequent. The "gunner" archetype will kill you in 2 shots. Whenever you see gunners you're supposed to play stealth, otherwise they will probably kill you. Brutes will be much harder to kill and agiles much faster this time. There's less time to counter enemies, so you will have to master countering like in AC I. But they don't want to annoy fans, so the more you upgrade Edward the easier it will get. For those who want extra challenge in combat, they recommend NOT to upgrade Edward (so this is probably similar to AC II, where you could make combat harder by not purchasing armor, health potions, tougher weapons, ...)

There will be Watch Dogs easter eggs in the game, suggesting that maybe both games are part of the same universe (hopefully this is not true and those are just easter eggs. WTF?!?)
Any sources? These details about combat are too good to be true. It almost seems as if combat is going to be very very enjoyable.

Cornik22
06-16-2013, 01:15 AM
Any sources? These details about combat are too good to be true.

Starts at 2:23 ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVCf623eNNc

SixKeys
06-16-2013, 01:24 AM
Wow, for once they're being upfront about the PC version being delayed.

ArabianFrost
06-16-2013, 01:29 AM

I don't think Ashraf was supposed to answer that. lol . Man, I love smaller journalists. They know just the right answers to ask.

ArabianFrost
06-16-2013, 01:32 AM
Starts at 2:23 ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVCf623eNNc

From Loomer we got stealth, ambient music, non linearity, from this we interview we got combat, easter eggs, tie-ins and city descriptions. That's really awesome, reassuring info we got from both.

As for combat, do you think they removed the slow mow that happens when countering? Any one else NOT going to upgrade Edward?

SixKeys
06-16-2013, 01:38 AM
From Loomer we got stealth, ambient music, non linearity, from this we interview we got combat, easter eggs, tie-ins and city descriptions. That's really awesome, reassuring info we got from both.

As for combat, do you think they removed the slow mow that happens when countering? Any one else NOT going to upgrade Edward?

Like usual, I'll do one playthrough where I get all the armor (for completion's sake) and one where I avoid all of it.

If the slow-mo isn't completely gone, it will hopefully be severely reduced. The counter window in AC3 is insanely long.

ArabianFrost
06-16-2013, 01:48 AM
Like usual, I'll do one playthrough where I get all the armor (for completion's sake) and one where I avoid all of it.

If the slow-mo isn't completely gone, it will hopefully be severely reduced. The counter window in AC3 is insanely long.

You know you can just NOT wear the armour after you collect it.

I don't want it reduced, I want slow mo countering window to be absolutely removed. We were fine without it in AC1. Just show some warning icons over their head (like in Batman: AC) before they attack or not even at all. That would teach the player to know how the AI works, allowing for skill to play part and at the same time allowing the player to mix it a bit. Maybe if countering becomes as difficult as I mentioned, people will discover playstyles including dodging for example or a mix of both, but Ashraf mentioned how they wanted to make it accessible to everyone, so that's probably far from the final product a bit.

SixKeys
06-16-2013, 01:56 AM

Not in any of the games so far. I really wish we had an armor removal option, but I'm not going to get my hopes up for AC4.

I agree about the counter window, the slow-mo is totally unnecessary. Don't know if the devs will agree, though.

Escappa
06-16-2013, 01:58 AM
Not in any of the games so far. I really wish we had an armor removal option, but I'm not going to get my hopes up for AC4.

I agree about the counter window, the slow-mo is totally unnecessary. Don't know if the devs will agree, though.

Hopefully they listen to the fans

ArabianFrost
06-16-2013, 02:10 AM
Hopefully they listen to the fans

Darby goes on here ever now and then and one of the devs mentioned they actively listen to the fans..I don't know if that's PR talk, but there's a possibility. You heard Ismail. They want it to be challenging but accessible, so they can't really go too hardcore, like Dark Souls hardcore. Maybe they will offer purist options for the hardcore players like not upgrading for example, but otherwise, they will try and strike a balance.

Here's the interview where the devs stated they listen to the community:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUW2QruAezQ

SixKeys
06-16-2013, 03:03 AM
Darby goes on here ever now and then and one of the devs mentioned they actively listen to the fans..I don't know if that's PR talk

It is. From what we've seen so far in the course of five games is that they listen to the feedback that's easy enough to implement and ignore the rest. People have been asking for armor removal option since AC2 but who knows whether we'll still have it come AC4.

ArabianFrost
06-16-2013, 03:39 AM
It is. From what we've seen so far in the course of five games is that they listen to the feedback that's easy enough to implement and ignore the rest. People have been asking for armor removal option since AC2 but who knows whether we'll still have it come AC4.

It's coming to AC4, but it's optional. One can hope. Mr.Shade said they sometimes come here, so maybe it's partially true.

Wolfmeister1010
06-16-2013, 05:14 AM

Woah woah woah woah woah....woah my friend.....where did you get the confirmation that ambient music will return. Was there an interview, or an article? Please link. Please link. Or anybody else who reads this please link I wanna see this with my own eyes

Locopells
06-16-2013, 07:51 AM

What did they say?

Sushiglutton
06-16-2013, 09:57 AM

I hope they have tweaked the simultanious attacks some so they are more challenging than a normal attack. In AC3 the balance was off. A simultanious attack was a huge bonus as you could insta-kill two enemies with one button-tap. More such attacks would actually make the game easier. But I assume this has been changed.

Farlander1991
06-16-2013, 10:18 AM

I don't want it reduced, I want slow mo countering window to be absolutely removed. We were fine without it in AC1. Just show some warning icons over their head (like in Batman: AC) before they attack or not even at all.

Well, the difference between AC1 (as well as AC2-ACR) and AC3 is that to counter in the previous games, you need to do only one action. In AC3 you have to do two actions - initiate the counter mode, and what type of counter you're going to do. Slow-mo isn't the counter window, it's just a 'choose your counter action' window (and if you do nothing it will just be a parry, because you've already countered when you enter the slow-mo mode), the counter window we have in AC3 is exactly what you said, actually - when triangles flash above enemies' heads as they're attacking.

I hope they have tweaked the simultanious attacks some so they are more challenging than a normal attack. In AC3 the balance was off. A simultanious attack was a huge bonus as you could insta-kill two enemies with one button-tap. More such attacks would actually make the game easier. But I assume this has been changed.

Which reminds me, funny thing about Tyranny of King Washington, is that there is some kind of bug there (that I haven't encountered in AC3 original campaign), that a lot of the times (not all of them, but a lot, at least in my case) enemies when attack simultaneously, one of them attacks with a small delay, so when you counter one it doesn't enter insta-kill mode, you counter just one of them and you have to quickly counter the other guy too. You'd like it :D

Sushiglutton
06-16-2013, 10:36 AM
Which reminds me, funny thing about Tyranny of King Washington, is that there is some kind of bug there (that I haven't encountered in AC3 original campaign), that a lot of the times (not all of them, but a lot, at least in my case) enemies when attack simultaneously, one of them attacks with a small delay, so when you counter one it doesn't enter insta-kill mode, you counter just one of them and you have to quickly counter the other guy too. You'd like it :D

But how does that work? I mean if you do two taps on the counter button you'll throw the first enemy? I will play it once it goes on sale I think :).

Farlander1991
06-16-2013, 10:43 AM
But how does that work? I mean if you do two taps on the counter button you'll throw the first enemy? I will play it once it goes on sale I think :).

No, what happens is that Connor enters the counter mode for the first enemy and then enters the counter mode for the second enemy, and from there you can counter-attack/throw/disarm the second enemy only. It's still not a perfect way for handling two opponents in a game, but, as I said, it's not really by design (unless they fixed that in a patch or smth). I suppose in the code entering the counter mode when available takes priority over anything else. Maybe the reason for all that has something to do with the fact that in ToKW the enemy AI and stats are slightly changed.

TigerVsLion
06-16-2013, 10:43 AM
Connor might have been able to hunt Bears, Cougars, Deers etc but seeing how there's a Jungle in AC4 I'm guessing Tigers will be involved. Edward would be killed by a Tiger, the only way to beat it is with a gun so I hope they make it realistic - you'd be killed by the Tiger in CQC but win if you shot it.

Sushiglutton
06-16-2013, 10:53 AM
No, what happens is that Connor enters the counter mode for the first enemy and then enters the counter mode for the second enemy, and from there you can counter-attack/throw/disarm the second enemy only. It's still not a perfect way for handling two opponents in a game, but, as I said, it's not really by design (unless they fixed that in a patch or smth). I suppose in the code entering the counter mode when available takes priority over anything else. Maybe the reason for all that has something to do with the fact that in ToKW the enemy AI and stats are slightly changed.

Ah ok got you. They need to make a more robust, thought out change for AC4 ofc. But the idea of enemies not attacking exactly at once, but with some delay is kind of cool. That way when you're in a counter you may have to decide to do another counter instead of some kind of execution.

Locopells
06-16-2013, 11:07 AM
What did they say?

Never mind, I watched myself. Gotta love how he tried to back-pedal when he let that one slip...

ProletariatPleb
06-16-2013, 11:57 AM
never mind, i watched myself. Gotta love how he tried to back-pedal when he let that one slip...
Who? what? Where? why?

WalSwJan
06-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Connor might have been able to hunt Bears, Cougars, Deers etc but seeing how there's a Jungle in AC4 I'm guessing Tigers will be involved. Edward would be killed by a Tiger, the only way to beat it is with a gun so I hope they make it realistic - you'd be killed by the Tiger in CQC but win if you shot it.

I don't really think that a tiger is a bigger problem than a freaking bear :P

ProletariatPleb
06-16-2013, 12:33 PM
I don't really think that a tiger is a bigger problem than a freaking bear :P
http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/8/89055/1643120-tommyleejones.jpg

ArabianFrost
06-16-2013, 12:38 PM

List of mammals in the carribean islands:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammals_of_the_Caribbean

Seeing that these are tropical regions, I'd imagine our hunts would not be any bigger than a fox. These jungles are too dense for anything like deer or Tigers to live.

ze_topazio
06-16-2013, 12:40 PM

Tigers? in the Caribbeans? not going to happen.

NondairyGold
06-16-2013, 01:07 PM
Tiger's... really. Maybe there was one on the wreck of the Mogul. They let him off on an island to pee ;)

ze_topazio
06-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Talking about tigers, however, reminds me that we really need an AC in India.

ArabianFrost
06-16-2013, 01:20 PM
Talking about tigers, however, reminds me that we really need an AC in India.

Corey May once expressed interest in India. Maybe the idea isn't that far-fetched.

Shahkulu101
06-16-2013, 01:24 PM
If they make an Indian AC, which I hope, the horribly innaccurate accents will bear scrutiny.

Locopells
06-16-2013, 01:48 PM
Tiger's... really. Maybe there was one on the wreck of the Mogul. They let him off on an island to pee http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20120411.419/images/smilies/wink.png

Hah! Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

If they make an Indian AC, which I hope, the horribly inaccurate accents will bear scrutiny.

I dunno, I've heard worse attempts at the various accents in the AC games.

Who? what? Where? why?

He states that the PC release will be 'a few weeks later' then the current gen version (though obviously some of that will relate to the next gen releases), then hastily talks about how he's not sure that's right and how it 'might be sooner'...

ProletariatPleb
06-16-2013, 01:50 PM
He states that the PC release will be 'a few weeks later' then the current gen version (though obviously some of that will relate to the next gen releases), then hastily talks about how he's not sure that's right and how it 'might be sooner'...
Where does he state it tho? Video? specific time in the video?

Locopells
06-16-2013, 02:13 PM
This video from page 6 (the conversation got a bit lost, sorry).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GVCf623eNNc

From 4:55.

ProletariatPleb
06-16-2013, 02:26 PM
Thanks you foalman.

dxsxhxcx
06-16-2013, 03:29 PM

I felt bad for the guy trying to explain himself, IMO that only shows they're (Ubisoft) aware the delays bother a lot of people but (Ubisoft) don't give a **** about it, a sad thing really, I just would like to see them releasing at least ONE AC game (for PC) at the same date as the console versions to see the results of it and at least justify the use of this business practice (that IMO has nothing to do with technical difficulties that might appear during the development otherwise the full game wouldn't leak 1 or 2 weeks before its release) before show the middle finger to the PC community...

Locopells
06-16-2013, 06:24 PM
Thanks you foalman.

Welcome. Heh - caught up on my sleep now!

I felt bad for the guy trying to explain himself, IMO that only shows they're (Ubisoft) aware the delays bother a lot of people but (Ubisoft) don't give a **** about it, a sad thing really, I just would like to see them releasing at least ONE AC game (for PC) at the same date as the console versions to see the results of it and at least justify the use of this business practice (that IMO has nothing to do with technical difficulties that might appear during the development otherwise the full game wouldn't leak 1 or 2 weeks before its release) before show the middle finger to the PC community...

This.

Dosenwabe
06-17-2013, 12:15 PM
Wow, that sounds good. Too bad I won't be able to enjoy it. Thanks, **** you too Ubisoft.