PDA

View Full Version : The Map

DT-Bezrider
06-11-2013, 08:16 PM
The size of the map in The Crew looks really ambitious, any chance of some details on the locations and screen shots :cool:

ScoobSTi1
06-11-2013, 08:52 PM
It'll most likely be a mix of TDU and Driver: SF. At least, that's what I'm hoping for.

RomanH64
06-11-2013, 10:20 PM
It'll most likely be a mix of TDU and Driver: SF. At least, that's what I'm hoping for.

Most likely it is

Anthony8I7
06-12-2013, 07:57 AM
I am just super excited that the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex is included cause I live in FW! :cool:

http://static9.cdn.ubi.com/resource/en-US/game/thecrew-game/portal/tc_map_full.jpg

smashsmash24
06-12-2013, 10:28 AM
yeah im really excited about the map in this game i watched ign and they said it would take hours real world time to travel from the east coast to the west

DT-Bezrider
06-12-2013, 06:04 PM
I think we will see lots of extra stuff added as it nears release date

carmadmike
06-12-2013, 06:08 PM
I'm wondering whether all the map will be available at the start of the game, or whether you'll have to unluck parts of it as you go along resulting in access to everywhere once you've completed a lot of it.

Hopefully it'll all be accessible from the go :)

Fizziii
06-12-2013, 07:02 PM
Will Denver be on the map? From what I'm seeing, it looks like it's been replaced with mountains. In the real US, Denver's located at the cross roads of a few interstates, so it should be in there...

DT-Bezrider
06-12-2013, 07:19 PM
From what I understand you start off in Detroit and as you complete missions it will unlock extra parts of the map :D

MrD.U.I
06-13-2013, 01:42 AM
Really interesting map, nice to see a game that is ambitious enough to have the whole of the USA included, I look forward to trying to set a record of New York to LA(without having to do the journey in 32 hours!).

Krazy2768
06-13-2013, 02:21 AM
hopefully in future dlc's for this game they will expand upon the map by adding more cities in but im sure it will only be major city types but hey the more the better so lets hope map expansion is also in there sight as for map if its open world with all sorts of people playing at once I don't see why youd be locked out of some areas until you unlocked others ... maybe like a tutorial section after you complete that then your open to the rest of the map

Purple44
06-13-2013, 02:23 AM
Look like The Crew is looking to out do what was done in FUEL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_(2009_video_game)), if we can drive all the the way from east coast to west coast.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/774859-The-Map/page2http://www.lay-zmattress.com/flatout2/purple44/FUEL/Fuel-Icon-Map---numbers-1024.jpg

Krazy2768
06-13-2013, 02:42 AM
next gen is here so hopefully itll get bigger and grow after release and time goes by

Vagelis4VP
06-13-2013, 04:44 PM
yes... the Map is the best that has appeared in an open world racing game...
Open world racing, with free ride, and in actual locations is my favorite type of racing games... Kudos to the guys who implement this...

I imagine in the future a Racing game, Global Open Persistant World, with real time weather, and day/night... and people of all kinds of racing and vehicles occuping it... both AI and real players...from the lone free-rider, to big groups of racers, and all the inbetween... they will create events, challenges, races, or just joyrides... (and also supporting devices like Oculus Rift,) in a scale which a round around the world with a fast supercar, and from main highways to take about 24 hours real time... I like to dream Big! ;)

bountyhunter56
06-14-2013, 04:21 AM
i like how i live in Miami and this game has it on the map AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

garfieldx22
06-14-2013, 05:04 PM
just watched a NYC race footage today, I have to say the map is scaled down very accurately. Much better than Liberty City in fact. I know this because I live in brooklyn, so very good job indeed, I imagine rest of the cities are this accurate as well.

DT-Bezrider
06-14-2013, 05:37 PM
I would love to see a UK DLC map add on in the future for us guys across the pond :cool:

tope1983
06-15-2013, 10:43 AM
I wonder which tools are used to create such huge maps.
When we talk about 5000 square kilometers, a bunch of cities and lots of counties and rural areas, as well as mountain regions and forests I think even with a development team that consists of more than 100 people it is impossible to create this playground by hand. I guess there's some sort of generative software, like speedtree for flora and maybe there's even an speedcity to create urban environments. But the biggest problem with generative solutions is that it also feels generated: everything is unique but similar.

It already happened in TDU's Oahu where a lot of the map didn't look that diverse. Many houses and villages looked very similar.
I hope when driving through the US in THE CREW it's not like this: a bunch of houses here and there, some boats at the river, trees... then again similar houses, a few trees, the same boats at a lake, a windmill here, the same windmills a few kilometers down the road again...

Vagelis4VP
06-16-2013, 12:32 AM
I wonder which tools are used to create such huge maps.
When we talk about 5000 square kilometers, a bunch of cities and lots of counties and rural areas, as well as mountain regions and forests I think even with a development team that consists of more than 100 people it is impossible to create this playground by hand. I guess there's some sort of generative software, like speedtree for flora and maybe there's even an speedcity to create urban environments. But the biggest problem with generative solutions is that it also feels generated: everything is unique but similar.

It already happened in TDU's Oahu where a lot of the map didn't look that diverse. Many houses and villages looked very similar.
I hope when driving through the US in THE CREW it's not like this: a bunch of houses here and there, some boats at the river, trees... then again similar houses, a few trees, the same boats at a lake, a windmill here, the same windmills a few kilometers down the road again...

Yes..i agree... (probably it involves a lot of procedural generation stuff)... but i dont think it is possible to be completely accurate, since the map is scaled down...
so im guessing they will keep just the feeling of the certain areas and not the exact houses and buildings, except maybe in some central well known places...

tope1983
06-16-2013, 11:32 AM
Yes..i agree... (probably it involves a lot of procedural generation stuff)... but i dont think it is possible to be completely accurate, since the map is scaled down...
so im guessing they will keep just the feeling of the certain areas and not the exact houses and buildings, except maybe in some central well known places...

I am totally with U. Being completely accurate is not possible at all. Every model is an abstraction of the real world. Has always been and will always be. No matter if you are speaking of a lightpost, car, a building or even a city. In some way it is always a scaled down version of the real world counterpart (unless things will consist of simulated atoms ;) ).

But what I wanted to say is, that if they are creating the map, I hope the vast environment won't look to samey, simply because of the fact that it is created procedurally.
I would love to see unique locations with a specific mood. If you create these environments by hand, u have much more control. But for a whole (scaled down) US-map that is impossible.

Vagelis4VP
06-16-2013, 08:32 PM
But what I wanted to say is, that if they are creating the map, I hope the vast environment won't look to samey, simply because of the fact that it is created procedurally.
I would love to see unique locations with a specific mood. If you create these environments by hand, u have much more control. But for a whole (scaled down) US-map that is impossible.

Yes, you're right... i dont think anyone likes to see too much "cloning"... but we'll have to wait and see i guess...
but based on the gameplay we have seen so far, it didnt strike me anything bad, in all of that environment.