PDA

View Full Version : Developer Journal – Issue #41

Vorbann
06-11-2013, 03:25 PM
Hi there,

The next game update has turned out to be bigger than expected, so we’re going to push back the dev diary regarding calculating legacy in season 4, and instead, we’ll finish telling you about the changes coming in the next version of the game.

In addition to what we wrote in dev diary 40, we’ve added the following.

On the PvE servers, Dark Elf heroes occupying rifts will see less troop growth. The aim is to reduce the importance of dwarf message farming when being attacked by these heroes in specific cities. The initial strength has not been changed - only the army growth rate has been reduced.
On the PvE servers, as announced last week, rifts will systematically target players with the most skulls. To stop players with several heroes near rifts from being harassed by highly synchronized attacks, the rift heroes will not attack a player if he is already under attack from another hero’s rift. In this case, heroes will target the next player down on the aggro list.
And while we are still talking about the PvE servers, we’ve increased the limit for the maximum number of inactive cities converted into rifts from ten to fifteen per day.

We’ve also continued squashing bugs:
- Fixed a bug that stopped players whose names begin with an underscore from appearing in autocompleted lists.
- Corrected a bug that stopped the “Moral High” legacy skill from being triggered if the hero’s army contained catapults or balistas.
- Corrected the immediate consumption of gold from a caravan delivery when the city in question has extremely high maintenance.
- Players with Newbie or Asha’s protection will no longer appear in rift target lists.
- It is now possible to equip an artifact not linked to a hero laying siege to a city.

There have also been a number of under the hood improvements to speed up the game’s response time, in particular by slimming down the content sent to the client.

This update is due to be installed in the next few days.

Unless something else crops up, the next dev diary will describe how legacy gains are calculated in season 4.

Vorbann

AndreanDW
06-11-2013, 07:23 PM
On the PvE servers, Dark Elf heroes occupying rifts will see less troop growth. The aim is to reduce the importance of dwarf message farming when being attacked by these heroes in specific cities. The initial strength has not been changed - only the army growth rate has been reduced.
stupid, more stupid, even more stupid, Vorbann ...

ramborusina
06-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Wait a minute... Did you just say you made it even harder to get dwarves?!?!? The pve sucks balls as it is since we have to keep almoast everything sacrificed and now you want to cut down one source of dwarves? HAVE YOU EVEN LOOKED AT THE FORUMS!?!?!?! WE DON'T WANT LESS DWARVES, WE WANT MORE OF THEM OR LOWER DE-WAVES FOR FORTS YOU NITWITS!!!

MartyAmodeo
06-11-2013, 10:13 PM
I think what Vorbann is saying is that it is not going to be as beneficial to farm rifts and hog them all to yourself. The troops won't regenerate as much after you defeat the heroes that come out after you. So you'll be better off letting each rift launch on you once or so, and then seal them off to get fresh troops. I think this will improve gameplay rather than letting all of the rifts get stuck in territory of players who refuse to seal them because they are farming them. It allows everyone to get some action.

They still need to fix the scaling of DE attacks based on alliance sizes. That is still horribly broken. But I don't think this change makes it harder to get dwarf rewards. It just makes it so that you have to keep the rifts moving around, which is a big improvement in my mind.

AndreanDW
06-11-2013, 11:15 PM
okay, let us discuss about dwarf farming ...
1st, what is the reason for dwarf farming?
- we need dwarf messages; we need them for the fortresses; we get only weak rifts, therefore we get only weak dwarf messages; we speak to the developer about this problem, but they are deaf and dumb; sometimes we get a weak rift with very weak dwarf messages - but if we put a large army into the town nearby we get rift heroes that are ways stronger than the rift levels - therefore we have the possibility to get some more dwarfes
The problem is not the dwarf farming, the problem is the weak rift!
2nd, why is dwarf farming not good for the game?
- 1st, for an one-men-alliance dwarf farming doesn't hurt other players - here is the problem not that the one-man-alliance is farming rifts, but that the current rules give advantage to one-man-alliances, and punish large alliances; we speak to the developer about this problem, but they are deaf and dumb;
- 2nd, for larger alliances, dwarf farming can make the game boring: if a big player farms dwarfs from one rift it can be advantageous for the alliance because he gets more dwarfs for the fortress; if he farms dwarfs from maybe 3 rifts, only a few further rifts appear in the alliance' region; if someone did not get rifts for a week or two because someone else is farming from several rifts he will maybe farm his next rift too, and nobody else within the alliance will get rifts anymore - of course that is a bad development, buuut
- the alliance leader can (should) speak with players that farm several rifts and urge them to close some of them
- he can kick them out of the alliance
- the other players can close the farmed rifts
all these are options of a working alliance (but I forgot the developer punishs working alliances) - we don't need the changes of Vorbann because he again punishs most of the players, and punishs usual game play! The better way to avoid dwarf farming would be to give us normal strong rifts with strong heroes that nobody want to keep next to the own town for a long time!

MartyAmodeo
06-11-2013, 11:50 PM
I agree that the rewards and strengths need to be fixed. That is a given. But you'll quickly degenerate to handful of people if no new rifts are appearing. Players will go idle (and apparently only 15 idle cities can turn into rifts each day LOL). Even if it's for the greater good of the alliance to farm, it makes the game really dull and pointless for everyone else. And there's no way to enforce good behavior on selfish players, especially if they are valuable to the alliance and you are quite far away.

Players without grails are already locked out of attacking runic fortresses, even if they're lucky enough to have a portal right on top of their cities. Even if they launch on the first millisecond, someone with a grail will beat them there with 5 heroes. So average alliance members can't do that. Now if you take away rifts from them, all they have left is vestiges. Not much of a game there, especially if they have particularly bad luck with vestiges collapsing.

I agree that there are more important things that need fixing, but I still feel that this is a good change in terms of keeping player interest up.

AndreanDW
06-12-2013, 08:46 AM
Maybe if they decreased the grow rate of the heroes, and increased the strength of the rifts at the same time it would be a good idea - if they only decrease the possibility to get dwarfs it is a big fail!

By the way, on one (good filled) server in Germany I play without subscription, and without additional spending of seals, therefore I have only 5 towns; only in one direction in nearest neighbourhood I have 12 ! inactive towns outside of alliances (and additional inactive towns wirh alliances, and additional inactive towns in other directions); I play there for about 2 month, and never ever an inactive town became a rift! Now I hear that maximal 10 rifts per day appeared from inactive towns! With 1000 inactive players on the server with maybe 3 towns each we have to wait a year until the inactive towns vanish!

Moykky
06-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Someone put it out so nicely "It's no fun playing without an army!!". How hard can it be to implement one of those fixes that has been discussed and increase the amount of dwarfs we can get?? And make it fast! I can announce for certainty that people on Dragon legacy (Scan) will be more than happy to volunteer as guinea pigs. Make a change, send announcement mail to players on the server, give it a week and make a simple poll (was this good or bad), adjust accordingly or reset to previous and change something else. In a month you'll get things fixed and overall happines will increase hundred folds.

-Orri

1. Increase the rift strengths and also the dwarf rewards gained from them. 500k level gives now roughly 30k, it could be increased to 10% of strength. I have those 500k rifts and they are wimpy. We need comments on this, but the strength could probably be doubled.
2. I still think there could be more rifts. It was pointed out that more would cause problems for small alliances, so it could be tied to size of alliance. Say 5 as base number and +1 for every 5th member?
3. Minimum 25% of sacrificed troops turn into dwarf defenders. It's just a logistical issue as we already get that much by sacrificing troops to "empty" levels and then use the reward on the main level. Would save the alliance leader a lot of work.

ramborusina
06-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Marty I do get your point... However to my alliance it's really demoralizing to hear about changes like these since most of my alliance has sacrificed their armies almost completely as a strategy so we could have few players with really big armies and they'd keep the rifts, farming them. It was so frustrating for our members to destroy rifts and get some low-level items and some 10-30k dwarves as reward. It certainly didn't encourage us to attack the rifts when it was basically for nothing, so we decided together to let bigger players keep the rifts so we could get at least something as the DE wave-strenght is kinda high. The way I see this downgrad... I mean update is that it only makes things worse and harder for us. It's not fun playing without army and even less fun losing, if we kept the armies knowing that it would lead to our downfall. I will personally never again play pve after this world as it's so incredibly messed up concept here with rule-changes.

Please make it stop already...

zamz
06-12-2013, 03:57 PM
I really thought u couldnt make PVE even more boring, but WOW ! Bored a long time ago, sacced 70% of army and overrunning rifts with small armies when I even bother doing it, because its not worth the effort (5s per attack)...Now u killed the last strategy for the PVE, good job ! Do u really have ur font color same as the background or what the hell is this forum for ???

Or maybe everyone start saying the rifts are too big and seals are making this game equal for everyone and UBI listens to feedback from costumers like every other company, and they change the opposite !

Paul_Rotterdam
06-12-2013, 09:18 PM
It seems to me that all rifts now only contain Ballista's.
Also when i log in at the game the Quests box is opened and i need to close it every time i log in.
DE rift farming is not playing a game, its like playing Monopoly and doing auto-run and getting every hour 200.000 for the full round and logging in after a week to collect "your game money"

ramborusina
06-13-2013, 04:55 AM
DE rift farming is not playing a game, its like playing Monopoly and doing auto-run and getting every hour 200.000 for the full round and logging in after a week to collect "your game money"

So you would say killing pointless small rifts IS playing the game... Losing the game because we will get practically no dwarves IS playing the game? Yeah I hear you... I play to lose like anybody else here! Because the rifts are so weak I always wonder why do I even bother killing them(aside from there being chance that the new rift might spawn near bigger player)... Strong player who farms can get more dwarves from single battle than I get possibly from clearing the whole rift. Nobody can keep any real army, pretty much 1 or 2 stacks and the rest get sacrificed because the DE are already strong and if we keep armies they will be insane. For us it was collective decision that big players keep rifts as it gives the alliance much better benefit overall. Nobody wants to kill the small rifts because it's just not rewarding in any way. The rifts would be fine if they grew like the DE-fortress attacks to some decent size, as they are they give no challenge nor prize.

Paul_Rotterdam
06-13-2013, 10:14 AM
I withdraw the above comment that new rifts only contain ballistas, that was just unlucky 5 x yesterday. Todays new rift contains 3 traps and 2 ballistas

@ ramborusina. I am lucky to play in a small aliance of 2 players, so my daily rifts are close to the size of the Fortress rifts. Current rifts popping around me are 700 k towards 1050 k.
Yah killing rifts is the core game. At least you have to play active.
Farming of rifts can be done inactive. And yes it even gives higher profit. In my view not what a gamedesigner wants.
In my view the whole rifts heroes attack players feature can be deleted or simply changed into not giving DE rewards as a battle result.
Then game-activity is more rewarded than currently is.

zamz
06-13-2013, 03:05 PM
Yeh we are down to 700k army strenght, none has any real army left (nor needed) and still 9,5M attacks on forts, cant get any dwarves from anywhere because all rifts are very small now with towns empty...There is simply no way to get 4th fort...

And now they have that FU**************' quest tab popping up everytime, last time blinking help icons....1st they ruin the game, now they add small annoying things to piss even the last ones off !

aesuarez
06-13-2013, 06:42 PM
I think whats more important than the changes mentioned in these Development Notes is the fact that a one man alliance can win the game versus a group of 30.

As seen below, the one man alliance is able to maintain 7 forts longer than two weeks by:
- Being a 1 man alliance
- Maintaining his army as low as possible
- Attacks are really low allowing him to only keep about 4M dwarfs in each lvl 5.

While the attacks on the 30Man alliance's are:
- we get 27M+ Dwarf Elves attacks on our forts
- having to keep high number Dwarves in lvl 5 (we have about close to 60M dwarfs in lvl 5 on only 2 Forts)
- Cant keep more than 3 forts longer than 2 weeks.

When are the DEVs going to address this? Whats the point of having a 30Man alliance when one man alliances can win this?

http://i.imgur.com/9x1WlcO.png

Moykky
06-13-2013, 09:16 PM
Vorbann got anything to say? Seriously, I know people have written tickets and the response is "we will fix this soon". Been several months and still nothing is done. If you know that you won't or can't do anything, have at least the backbone to say so.

And again, if the DE attack strength is x % of alliance armies (or dom score as I fear it to be), how hard can it be to lower it by 10%?? Or is the equation so hard that no one knows how to manage it? Stop thinking of updates, improvements and everything else till you have gotten the basics right. Nobody knows if the new PvE is good or not as the DE strenght is totally f****** up. And looking back, we will probably get some mega hyper update that is even worse, instead of the tiny fix to the DE attacks.

Toni_G
06-15-2013, 12:18 PM
I think whats more important than the changes mentioned in these Development Notes is the fact that a one man alliance can win the game versus a group of 30.

As seen below, the one man alliance is able to maintain 7 forts longer than two weeks by:
- Being a 1 man alliance
- Maintaining his army as low as possible
- Attacks are really low allowing him to only keep about 4M dwarfs in each lvl 5.

While the attacks on the 30Man alliance's are:
- we get 27M+ Dwarf Elves attacks on our forts
- having to keep high number Dwarves in lvl 5 (we have about close to 60M dwarfs in lvl 5 on only 2 Forts)
- Cant keep more than 3 forts longer than 2 weeks.

When are the DEVs going to address this? Whats the point of having a 30Man alliance when one man alliances can win this?

http://i.imgur.com/9x1WlcO.png
Vesuvius actually wants to show to the developers how broken the game is in this moment! ;)

MartyAmodeo
06-16-2013, 01:27 AM
He did that 4 months ago. From that point on, it just deprives the rest of us of fun. Drizzt's Revenge slashed their dominance scores significantly some time ago and are now facing 7 29M attacks on a fort with 59M in it. It's just stupid at this point.

Paul_Rotterdam
06-16-2013, 10:36 AM
Unless the Devs ask a good player of this game to assist they will stick in the mud on some major gameplay items.

mightycleric
06-16-2013, 11:18 PM
No, Ves wants to show that he is better than everybody else to pad his own ego. Playing as non-cooperatively as possible on a "cooperative server".