PDA

View Full Version : Open Dev? Or is this just an empty PR stunt? (an open letter)

TheMoorkh
06-10-2013, 09:56 PM
Dear Devs/Ubi Marketeers

To start off, let me say I very much admire and support your efforts to bring back the might and the magic of this long-neglected series. I very much like what I have seen so far and heard from people who visited and talked to you at PAX. I'm absolutely looking forward to what you're going to come up with, and while I have some reservations (I always have), I have quite some trust in that you will not botch this up.

That said, I'm concerned about this Open Dev thing.
Therein you claim you want to make development of MMX transparent and participatory for the fan community. For that, you have cajoled me and a couple more interested parties to your dungeon vote and, more specifically, to these forums. Not a lot of community going on here, mind, mostly HoMM spillover in the older threads and some recent newcomers.
Unfortunately, those veterans of the series that did arrive aren't going to be motivated to stay any length of time once the novelty of waging a minor flame war on movement systems has worn off. Where is that special insight, the juicy dev quotes to make this worthwhile? Worse, we don't even get the feeling that we are listened to at all! I don't think there is even a low-level forum mod or admin actively policing these boards.
Those other community boards you mention following and recruiting people to your vaunted VIP club from? I am a long-time regular at RPGWatch (which you specifically mentioned), and on the threads there pertaining to Might & Magic, no one is aware of you ever contacting them. Instead, the only people that seem to have been "in" on this are from the HoMM community, which is hardly the same as the RPG one...

As things stand, I'm afraid believe this is some sort of sham, and shows a jaded disrespect towards what they hope would become a community, and I can't see a single official posting that would lead me to reconsider.

Sincerely

Moorkh

Ardent employer of might and magic since 1989 (yeah, I missed part I)

Ravens Klaws
06-10-2013, 10:01 PM
yeah, im getting the same feeling. i mean my thread got locked off, but its like ubi-mush(the forum manager) only glances over once a month or something, and we haven't seen anything of the game that would indicate it is a game and not a scam, as half the scenes seem to look a lot like ones from elder scrolls games(oblivion and skyrim notibly).

HEF2011
06-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Instead, the only people that seem to have been "in" on this are from the HoMM community, which is hardly the same as the RPG one...

Oh, I wouldn't say that...http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g22/hollyeclark1/f4363e34.gif
I've always thought of the Might & Magic Heroes as a Role-Playing War game.

TheMoorkh
06-10-2013, 10:33 PM
yeah, im getting the same feeling. i mean my thread got locked off, but its like ubi-mush(the forum manager) only glances over once a month or something, and we haven't seen anything of the game that would indicate it is a game and not a scam, as half the scenes seem to look a lot like ones from elder scrolls games(oblivion and skyrim notibly).

Oh, I don't think the game is fake, not at all, if you read my first paragraph. I'm mainly worried about its community management...

Oh, I wouldn't say that...http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g22/hollyeclark1/f4363e34.gif
I've always thought of the Might & Magic Heroes as a Role-Playing War game.

You have? I have always regarded it as a rather opportunistic rebrand ("convergence", I know) of a sequel to the original King's Bounty minus some RPG elements. Sure, there is the (somewhat generic) fantasy setting, the treasures and monsters, the experience levels and equipment system, but that's all very light, isn't it? Turn them as you wish, but I fail to recognize much Might and Magic the CRPG in any instance of HoMM (and I seriously enjoyed the Price of Loyalty, mind).

forgottenl
06-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Before the open development started, this forum was scarcely populated, as you have stated TheMoorkh. In fact I was worried that there were almost know Might and Magic fans out there, or that those who were there had no interest in the game because of its grid movement or because its set in Ashan. Hardly any official posting has been done at all. The open development thing doesn't concern me. In fact it has started this forum really going and generated more interest for the game, which I can only see as a good thing. The number of people voting and posting on the blog took me by surprise. I think the development blog is great as it gives us something to actually talk and get excited about. I do agree, however, that if a moderator took a more active role in this forum it would be another big step in the right direction and further increase interest in the game.

narupley
06-11-2013, 05:18 PM
When I first heard about "Open Dev", I thought Limbic was going to be giving developers like me early access to modding tools (even read-only repository access to get used to the API would be welcome) that I could use to start building content for the game, so MMX can hit the ground running when it's released.

Instead, it's just a shallow, self-lauding blog. Fans are given only a single vote every month or so; they do not have the ability to influence the game or create content like the video would imply.

Mirae11
06-11-2013, 08:55 PM
I kind of feel the same way. Forums are here for people that want to feel integrated, but they are not... This thread should show how we stand. If only they posted like every two weeks some responses to actual posts on forums - "we agree and we are already working on it", "we made this already", "we are sorry, but this will not be done because...".

Just a blog (now that "Open Dev" page) for these things would be nice.

TheMoorkh
06-11-2013, 10:55 PM
[...] In fact it has started this forum really going and generated more interest for the game, which I can only see as a good thing. The number of people voting and posting on the blog took me by surprise. I think the development blog is great as it gives us something to actually talk and get excited about. I do agree, however, that if a moderator took a more active role in this forum it would be another big step in the right direction and further increase interest in the game.

Absolutely, and I'm sorry if I wasn't clear: I'm totally glad about this blog. While it's not exactly candid and blowing their horn slightly too much, it offers a wealth of insight at a (so far) generous frequency, and will likely serve to generate and keep up interest in this project. What I'm so annoyed about is that they purport community interaction along with the blog and thus far have very little to show for it:
I really, really don't feel interacted with.

forgottenl
06-12-2013, 12:05 PM
I'm curious if anyone follows MMX on facebook and if they are more active there. I don't have a facebbook account, so I wouldn't know.

LE-Larissa
06-12-2013, 05:29 PM
Hi TheMoorkh, Ravens Klaws, Mirae11 and hi all,

First of all thank you for your honest and constructive feedback! Its much appreciated!

We've been reading the forums and followed all discussions; however it is true, that we were not actively responding up until today.

We've just started the MMX open dev blog at the end of last week and we're still busy planning and creating content, improving the blog and all internal processes etc., which is one reason why Id like to apologize if not everything works well right from start! We are definitely open for suggestions and are eager to improve ourselves!

We have always planned to be more active after our introduction (which was planned for Thursday this week) and when we read your posting yesterday, we decided to advance the interview to yesterday and to become more active as from today already. However, while we will always read all the forums postings and post an answer once in a while here, too; Lore (LE-Lore) and I will focus on communicating on the MMX open dev blog. Right now things are not 100% perfect there, but we are busy working on things like commenting on a comment, having paragraphs in comments, improving the post of a dev team comment visually etc., which should all make it easier for people to see and read our replies. So thanks for your patience in advance ;)

In regards to your other comments and questions:

@forgottenl: Thank you for your understanding and for your kind feedback! :)

@narupley: Modding will still be discussed on the blog and you guys will still get access to modding tools! Right now the dev team is still busy working on the actual game itself; however the base for modding is already set and will be improved once the game development has advanced. As soon as the modding abilities are at a stage for you guys to use it, well definitely post a sort of How to and obviously some background information about it on the blog!

In regards to the votes: This first vote is lasting a little longer, in order for people to get to know about the blog and find the vote itself, so that they still have a chance to participate in the first and big decision. Polls thereafter are planned to run shorter, so well definitely plan to have more polls than just one a month. ;)

We hope this first answer and also our comments on the blog postings as a response to the community comments will make you feel a little more comfortable!

Lore (LE-Lore) & Anna (LE-Larissa)

narupley
06-12-2013, 10:06 PM
*thumbs up*

Putting up with the harsh criticism of people like us who hide behind our computer monitors must be a difficult job. Thanks!

TheMoorkh
06-12-2013, 10:10 PM
We hope this first answer and also our comments on the blog postings as a response to the community comments will make you feel a little more comfortable!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Just this has greatly allayed my fears that we're just talking to a marketing vacuum. Looking forward to hearing a lot more from you on these two channels. Maybe you could actually address some of the valid questions posted in various threads.
Anyhow, you can now disregard most of what I wrote, especially the comment on the Open Dev site to you introductory post I posted a couple minutes ago unawares of your presence here.
Speaking of technical shortcomings of your websites: not only do I get logged out from this forum every few hours (no problem, as it saves my login and password), I also need to login again on the Open Dev site (why? it could just check the ubi.com cookie, couldn't it?), which logs me out within minutes of apparent inactivity (say when I'm writing a comment) and promptly forgets ever having met my IP before. My brain being a sieve, it would help if the password recovery actually worked. It took me about three days and twenty attempts to get my pw right... (I'm browsing on Chrome v.27.0.1453.110 m). Maybe you have someone have a look?

Mirae11
06-15-2013, 11:39 PM
We've been reading the forums and followed all discussions; however it is true, that we were not actively responding up until today.

We've just started the MMX open dev blog at the end of last week and we're still busy planning and creating content, improving the blog and all internal processes etc., which is one reason why Id like to apologize if not everything works well right from start! We are definitely open for suggestions and are eager to improve ourselves!

Thank You for Your reply. This was more than satisfying answer and I thank You for that.