PDA

View Full Version : Half-baked?

Mirae11
06-08-2013, 02:08 PM
For all I have seen on forums, development page and some presentations, it seems to me that this game is neither of two things that it aims to be.

It seems like developers want to satisfy the needs of oldschool MM players (MM1-5) with the Grid-based movement and combat system but...
The world map is nothing like any map in any previous MM - it is just weak. The number of variations of monsters will be based almost completely on the last Heroes, meaning a serious lack of imagination and serious lack of variation in the game. I do not want to kill goblins and orcs half of the game... The level up system is something totally uncommon in MM series (at least I think, haven't played first two). No sci-fi... To summarize all this.

Old mechanics .......... New Mechanics/Stuff
Movement ...................... Map
Combat .......................... Monsters
...... ................................ Skills
...... ................................ Fantasy only

Does anyone else have that feeling, that it will not fulfill expectations of neither group? 1-5 fans, 6-8 fans and newcomers? I can see only one kind of people right now truly satisfied with all this -> Grimrock fans.

Mind7z
06-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Word i feel the same way, I'm already very disappointed. It feels like they either don't know what there are doing or the money giver just told them that they have to change this and this because otherwise it won't sell. It feels a bit like Brian Fargo/Publisher affairs before he went to Kickstarter.

Ravens Klaws
06-08-2013, 05:06 PM
yeah but see it from their perspective, this was a lose lose situation to go into.
they will have to try and keep both old(mm1 to mm5) and modern(mm7-9)fans happy, and what we may end up with is a case of resident evil 6(a game which is a mess and keeps nobody happy)
but as for the heroes thing its from no fault of their own, they are only allowed to make the party based game IF they have it in the current heroes universe(ashens was it?ive always found the heroes games to be boring so i don't play them), so if your going to be angry direct it at ubisoft for forcing that.
yeah the inventory and level up system come from the modern heroes, as previous level ups required the training centre. the training centre added realism and a good way to pass the weeks if you where waiting for the stone circles secrets, MMX has auto level.
what im hoping is it will revive the party based rpg genre. it won't be a great start but if this game proves popular enough well.
oh and added note,i dislke legend of grimrock fans, they seem ...fogheaded. theres a difference between playing an old game and playing something thats based on an old game y'know?legend of grimrock is not an old game, it has its own MODERN programming stuff and tweaks.
fans will buy mmx simply because of how long its been and how loved the party based game was, but lets see how many choose to actually keep the game.

forgottenl
06-08-2013, 09:03 PM
I agree with Ravens Klaws. Might and Magic means many things to different people. For some people it meant a real time combat RPG. I for one always fought my combats in turn based mode, even in MM6-9. For others it means the old Might and Magic World with its unique creatures and SCi-Fi elements. For me that's also not so important, I liked the world, but I play lots of RPGS, and don't mind the world of HMM5-6 and Dark Messiah. Everyone has a particular Might and Magic in mind when they think back on the game. As already has been stated UBISOFT decided the game would be in the same world as other current Might and Magic games. The developer is trying to take some of the best elements of the old games and make something good out of it. For me which elements they take is not important as how they pull it off. There is no guarentee it will be a great game regardless of which elements they took from which games. So let's hope their hard work comes to a good conclusion. Also I don't think Legends of Grimrock fans will be necessarily happy with a turn based combat world exploration game. That is not what Grimrock is about.

Mirae11
06-09-2013, 09:22 PM
yeah but see it from their perspective, this was a lose lose situation to go into.
they will have to try and keep both old(mm1 to mm5) and modern(mm7-9)fans happy, and what we may end up with is a case of resident evil 6(a game which is a mess and keeps nobody happy)
but as for the heroes thing its from no fault of their own, they are only allowed to make the party based game IF they have it in the current heroes universe(ashens was it?ive always found the heroes games to be boring so i don't play them), so if your going to be angry direct it at ubisoft for forcing that.
yeah the inventory and level up system come from the modern heroes, as previous level ups required the training centre. the training centre added realism and a good way to pass the weeks if you where waiting for the stone circles secrets, MMX has auto level.
what im hoping is it will revive the party based rpg genre. it won't be a great start but if this game proves popular enough well.
oh and added note,i dislke legend of grimrock fans, they seem ...fogheaded. theres a difference between playing an old game and playing something thats based on an old game y'know?legend of grimrock is not an old game, it has its own MODERN programming stuff and tweaks.
fans will buy mmx simply because of how long its been and how loved the party based game was, but lets see how many choose to actually keep the game.

In every other thread I talk about how important it is to make this game somewhat popular and profitable, for only then other sequels might come. I am just truly afraid, that this game will end up as almost every sequel that was made long after the previous one - Duke Nukem, Diablo etc. The goal should be number of sales of this game and I do not think, that this is a right course - for example non-existence of auto-level up made Gothic and Risen series distinguishable from other RPGs that came out at that time. I am just too afraid, that this huge step backward will not bring those sales needed for another (maybe better) sequel, for in a lot of thing they just missed the right timing (lots of those things mentioned above were standard 5 years later, but now people want more sophisticated system than WoW auto-level...)

forgottenl
06-10-2013, 04:17 PM
In every other thread I talk about how important it is to make this game somewhat popular and profitable, for only then other sequels might come. I am just truly afraid, that this game will end up as almost every sequel that was made long after the previous one - Duke Nukem, Diablo etc. The goal should be number of sales of this game and I do not think, that this is a right course - for example non-existence of auto-level up made Gothic and Risen series distinguishable from other RPGs that came out at that time. I am just too afraid, that this huge step backward will not bring those sales needed for another (maybe better) sequel, for in a lot of thing they just missed the right timing (lots of those things mentioned above were standard 5 years later, but now people want more sophisticated system than WoW auto-level...)

The goal is to make money. However, this is to be achieved relative to the budget involved. In an interview Josh Sawyer, whose developing Project:Eternity, a Balder's Gate type game, said they need to make the best game with the budget they have, which is 4 million dollars, and circa a year development time. He said AAA games often have a 50 million dollar budget and a multiyear development time. I expect the Legend of Grimrock, an indie title, was probably was much closer to Project:Eternity than an AAA game, in terms of budget (I'm betting even less than 4 million), and Skyrim, which had almost a 6 year development time, had more than a 50 million dollar budget. I also suspect that MM10 has a budget close to Project Eternity or Legend of Grimrock. Obviously with a small budget, selling say 200,000 copies may make your costs back, while a game with a 50 million dollar budget will need to sell 2,000,000 copies. So the goal is to make a game where you invest enough to get a good profit back. Also by investing less, UBISOFT is taking much less of a risk should the game flop. If they say sell half of what they need to, they may lose 1.5 million dollars, which is much better than losing 25 million.

WTFisthisubi
06-24-2013, 09:28 PM
For all I have seen on forums, development page and some presentations, it seems to me that this game is neither of two things that it aims to be.

It seems like developers want to satisfy the needs of oldschool MM players (MM1-5) with the Grid-based movement and combat system but...
The world map is nothing like any map in any previous MM - it is just weak. The number of variations of monsters will be based almost completely on the last Heroes, meaning a serious lack of imagination and serious lack of variation in the game. I do not want to kill goblins and orcs half of the game... The level up system is something totally uncommon in MM series (at least I think, haven't played first two). No sci-fi... To summarize all this.

Old mechanics .......... New Mechanics/Stuff
Movement ...................... Map
Combat .......................... Monsters
...... ................................ Skills
...... ................................ Fantasy only

Does anyone else have that feeling, that it will not fulfill expectations of neither group? 1-5 fans, 6-8 fans and newcomers? I can see only one kind of people right now truly satisfied with all this -> Grimrock fans.

Hey now. I'm a Grimlock fan. I loved Grimrock. But I think that when they make Grimrock games they shouldn't name them Might and Magic - that's just dishonest.

GrayFace_wog
06-25-2013, 12:00 PM
The weakest spot of MMX is the new universe. With no sci-fi, limitations imposed by setting, monsters that come from different games (5 and 6) and often are mascaredly-colored. As I already suggested on CH, changing textures of such monsters would be a good thing to both make them fit better and make the game more fresh/distinguishable.
Auto-level sounds fine to me. Only problem with it is that peasant games (playing the whole game on lvl 1 and zeroed stats) won't be possible.

The world map is nothing like any map in any previous MM - it is just weak.
Could you give me the link to it?

pikout
06-27-2013, 11:29 AM
Here is a thread about it : http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/770913-M-amp-M-X-World-Map-vs-the-quot-old-quot-ones/page2