PDA

View Full Version : Maximum honor for miminum losses

cvejde
06-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Hello!

I started playing this game less than a week ago and I really enjoy it so far!

I have been reading around alot about trying not to waste your units to gain maximum honor, atleast not in the beginning. People in different forums refer to the Jacarti fight simulator and that you should experiment with this which I have. But i still don't get it.

For example: If i meet lets say an enemy with 1x Cavalry stack, 1x Archers and 1x Footmen in that order. If I deploy a too large stack of infantry to battle that first stack of cavalry, they will just move on to the archers and get owned right after killing the cavalry. And if I match them up so that the stack power (including the bonus) precisely matches the cavalries I will suffer pretty big losses :/

Can anyone please try and explain how I fight with minimum losses and still gain decent honor?

Best regards

Paul_Rotterdam
06-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Use a spellcaster like Fanatic sorcer.
i take the combo Haranque on level 3 at first from Leadership choise.
And then afterwards building up the 2 spellcastings.

try to make 1 monostack that can win from all 3 opponents.
so use not upgraded familiars if you play inferno.
They eat up the cavalry, use a little spell against the archers and if you win flawless from the remaining archers you will win flawless from the infantry.

Unless you have a strong monostack try to win battles only using 6 tiers in a stack. 6 is the magic number in this game.

good luck.
greets Kemo

MartyAmodeo
06-07-2013, 10:36 PM
The fundamental thing to remember is that your bonuses get "killed" before your troops do. So if you can accumulate enough bonuses for your big stack, then even the advantaged troops against them won't be able to harm them. "Bonus" is created by hero attack stats, + power per unit artifacts / abilities (like leader/harangue), and troop type bonuses (+50% if you have the correct type). To see this graphically, click the middle column in Jactari (the one that says which side got disbanded/overrun). It will show a bar graph for the attacker next to one for the defender, with the bonuses highlighted in different colors. Troop type bonuses are in green and other stat bonuses are in red. Your raw army strength is the gray part of the bar. If just your bonuses stack up larger than the power of your enemy, you overrun them without any losses, regardless of troop type.

In the beginning of the game, it may not always be possible to avoid all losses, but you can still minimize them. Attrition is 30% of the routed units, rounded down (but a minimum of 1 if you lost anything). So if you have 1 unit beaten, you will lose 1 unit. But if you have 6 units beaten, you will still only lose 1 unit (30% * 6 = 1.8 units = 1). From 7 units to 9 units, you lose 2. From 10 through 13, you lose 3, and so forth. So try to sculpt your stacks that you know you're going to lose to minimize your permanent losses. This is often a tradeoff because smaller stacks have less overrun power and will do less damage.

Thorsson64
06-08-2013, 08:59 AM
Different people play different ways, but I prefer to keep troop losses down in early battles. The way I see it is this: if you are careful with your troops you will be able to fight more battles, and so get more XP. I've been Army Chief many times and the most common mistake new players make is to lose too many troops early on (well maybe the second most common, the first being not to have magic on their attacking hero), and then they can't fight again for days.

Apart from the very early battles, you must clear your mines for instance, even if the matchup is bad, and gold squares (because you never have enough gold), then I have a rule that the XP reward must be greater than the troop power lost. If you're not getting that result in Jactari, try playing around to see what you need to make it so. Maybe if you wait for a few more T1 troops to be built you overrun a stack, for instance.

Pick battles carefully, don't force them, get the Quests (many which give extra troops) as quickly as possible and maximise the city battles - that means not improving your buildings too far, rather building new - which get you fresh troops. While Honor is the quickest path to Rank 2, don't sacrifice everything to get there. Plan for Rank 3 & 4 too.

cvejde
06-09-2013, 12:54 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

The fundamental thing to remember is that your bonuses get "killed" before your troops do. So if you can accumulate enough bonuses for your big stack, then even the advantaged troops against them won't be able to harm them. "Bonus" is created by hero attack stats, + power per unit artifacts / abilities (like leader/harangue), and troop type bonuses (+50% if you have the correct type). To see this graphically, click the middle column in Jactari (the one that says which side got disbanded/overrun). It will show a bar graph for the attacker next to one for the defender, with the bonuses highlighted in different colors. Troop type bonuses are in green and other stat bonuses are in red. Your raw army strength is the gray part of the bar. If just your bonuses stack up larger than the power of your enemy, you overrun them without any losses, regardless of troop type.

In the beginning of the game, it may not always be possible to avoid all losses, but you can still minimize them. Attrition is 30% of the routed units, rounded down (but a minimum of 1 if you lost anything). So if you have 1 unit beaten, you will lose 1 unit. But if you have 6 units beaten, you will still only lose 1 unit (30% * 6 = 1.8 units = 1). From 7 units to 9 units, you lose 2. From 10 through 13, you lose 3, and so forth. So try to sculpt your stacks that you know you're going to lose to minimize your permanent losses. This is often a tradeoff because smaller stacks have less overrun power and will do less damage.

Does the bonus follow to the next battle round in a fight?

As the example in my initial post, will the bonus from my infantry vs the cavalry follow to the next round against the archers if the cavalry didn't "kill" all the bonus in the first round?

Thorsson64
06-09-2013, 08:58 PM
No. Use Jactari.