PDA

View Full Version : New mechanic discussion - Fortune Ward

Aza404
06-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Some are blessed by the hand of fate while others manage to slip through its fingers.

http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/MM-DOC/venerable_kappa.jpg

Fortune Ward prevents a creature from being the target of fortunes, and also protects them from the effects of fortunes. As with the other wards, a creature with Fortune Ward must be on the battleground for the ability to take effect.

A creature with Fortune Ward has a huge strategic edge against certain control decks, being able to attack when Altar of Shadows is in play, and being immune to the effects of Broken Bridge and Throne of Renewal. Keep in mind, however, that the creature will also be immune to beneficial Fortunes like Blood Shaman Hut and Reinforcements!

Now that you've had time to test this new feature, what do you think of it?

Elementalist.
06-06-2013, 02:35 PM
I like it. Not just for the effect but the general mentality behind its introduction, allowing players to have counters outside of fortunes and spells.

DinstanoMESO
06-06-2013, 03:50 PM
I'd actually use the spell shield card for creatures if it granted spell ward instead of just immunity do damage. This way it's not worth the 4/4 price. The fortune ward is useful, but so far only 1 creature has it by default, and only one card for one faction grants it. Hope to see more of this.

NatBumppo
06-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Not really on topic but there is an ongoing spell or fortune card (not sure which) that grants all your creatures in play fortune ward. When this card is active there is no description of fortune ward on the card for opposing player to read which seems very poor form. If your going to have a card that give all creatures in play fortune ward you should have a description of fortune ward on that card so the player trying to overcome it can know what he is facing. Not a huge deal by any means just something that bothered me, you should be able to read about all effects in play at any time.

Frozen-Drake
06-06-2013, 08:51 PM
I'd actually use the spell shield card for creatures if it granted spell ward instead of just immunity do damage. This way it's not worth the 4/4 price. The fortune ward is useful, but so far only 1 creature has it by default, and only one card for one faction grants it. Hope to see more of this.
actually 2 creature has it, Venerable Kappa and Unmei-Kami, and the spell is available to Sanctuary, Haven (Ga... ehm Sandalphon) and Necro (Mother Namtaru even if it's not very viable atm)

Not really on topic but there is an ongoing spell or fortune card (not sure which) that grants all your creatures in play fortune ward. When this card is active there is no description of fortune ward on the card for opposing player to read which seems very poor form. If your going to have a card that give all creatures in play fortune ward you should have a description of fortune ward on that card so the player trying to overcome it can know what he is facing. Not a huge deal by any means just something that bothered me, you should be able to read about all effects in play at any time.

what u mean, card doesen't have the description when deployed? sounds weird

back on topic for my opinion:
very good ability even if the creatures that have it are kinda very situational imo

NatBumppo
06-06-2013, 09:24 PM
what u mean, card doesen't have the description when deployed? sounds weird

Exactly, the ongoing fortune that gives all friendly creatures in play fortune ward has no description of what fortune ward is, at least it didn't last night when somebody played it against me

marudnygbur
06-07-2013, 12:51 PM
HI , trying to ask on polish forum but no one answered. why fortune ward doesn't protect you from wasteland, logicly it should, its fortune isn't it?

Shambell
06-07-2013, 01:31 PM
No, it shouldn't.
In your hand, a card is a card... Until activation, their future abilities are not used.
Fortune ward is such ability.

Wasteland is played against a player's hand (he can't play creatures or spells or fortunes), not against a creature with its specific power active.

The same with the fortunes who deal with the discard pile (Altar of Asha) or so I'm told.

marudnygbur
06-07-2013, 02:33 PM
ok against player hand but i still see here some hmm ... roughness. On your hand you got creature with immune to fortune and to use it, you spend action points, which are lets say neutral so in fact wasteland should be played to block spendin points on fortunes , not blockin playing fortunes ech i meesed up a little .. im no native in english so its hard for me to explain what im thinking about , I hope you will get what i mean either way thx for your response.

ps dont really get sentence with altar of asha, you mean i can ressurect kappa ? cause i didnt check it.

cheers