PDA

View Full Version : I've been waiting for a game like this.

Gribbish
06-05-2013, 01:02 AM
I fondly remember playing the first 5 of the Might and Magic Series,

I *PREFERRED* them to the later installments. didn't care for 6 or 7's movement system, and didn't buy 8 or 9 because of it.

When Legend of Grimrock came out, I was excited: here was a game that looked like what I had enjoyed so very much.
Unfortunately, while it was grid-based, (which I love, since I enjoy mapping areas out,looking for secrets, etc) it was Real-Time combat. More about how fast you can hit buttons than about any real tactics. (common tactic in Grimrock find a room, dodge back and forth until the enemy steps in front of you... QUICKLY hit the attacks, then move before they turn to attack you... repeat ad-nauseam) As a result of the hit-and run tactics available in Grimrock, any time you actually got IN a Fight, you were doomed, since they had made the monsters far stronger, to make them challenging, despite the players using the hit and runs.

I look FORWARD to a true turn-based game once more... being able to PLAN OUT my tactics when I see a room full of monsters. Being able to engage in archery against the enemy, but knowing that every time I do so, it's at the expense of moving, or doing other actions,(rather than the game being dependent on how fast I can actually click the keys/mouse) Being able to cast spells and swing swords against foes that are balanced for actual point-blank combat, not needing to dance around at range only.

I LOVE that you are bringing back puzzles/riddles. This is something sorely lacking in most modern games, or so rediculously dumbed-down that they almost might as well not BE there (Yes, I'm looking at YOU, Skyrim)

I would totally buy and re-play re-worked versions of 1-5, so if you need some quick content, after you're done with X, put out an expansion pack of the classic games... I bet you'd find an audience. :)

--Gribbish

lsnoots
06-05-2013, 04:30 PM
I agree wholeheartedly with you, Grib. I've made a couple of posts earlier here just like this. I mean Skyrim is a gorgeous, immersive RPG; BUT I still long for turn-based thoughtful combat in an RPG! I'm really looking forward to this, as well as Wasteland2, Torment and Shadowrun Returns; just to have a good RPG with turn-based combat!

anikkane
06-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Couldn't have said it any better. Combine Grimrock's puzzles and graphics with turn based combat and outdoor environments, and I'm a happy camper.

And good old riddles. Great to hear they're making a comeback.

Ironsulfide
06-07-2013, 10:02 PM
I'm a definite member of that audience. In addition to a graphically bumped-up game it would be cool to be able to hit a button and quickly flip back and forth from the original version to the new one to see the changes. 343 Studios reworked the original Halo with a button press like that and I used it all the time. It should include classic music too with a setting or button press.

Some classic riddles from the M&M games:
What is too much for one, enough for two, but nothing for three?
The more there is of it, the less you see? What am I?
What turns everything around but does not move?