PDA

View Full Version : How Ac4 could learn from AC1

Wolfmeister1010
06-03-2013, 04:39 AM
Hey guys! I just played some AC1 yesterday, and let me tell you, it was amazing how fun it was. Even though the game has evolved through the course of 5 years, the first one still seems to be the most purely fun, with its only worthy contender being AC2. I think AssassinM will be rather pleased with this thread. Here are some things that I think AC4 could learn from AC1.

1. Guards

I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something about the guards in AC1 that makes them seem so much more threatening and scary than all the other guards in all the other games. Maybe it's because of their vicious threats, like "infidel die!" or how they really scream and groan when they get hit with a sword. Either way, the guards seem much more challenging and scary in AC1, and I think guards need an upgrade in AC4.

2. The simplicity

There are so many different tools and crap to use in the more recent ACs, but I got to tell you, there is something so charming about having just 4 weapons, your sword, fist, and knife, and your throwing knives as ranged weapons. It is okay that those throwing knives were one shot kills, because they were very limited in stock. Now, since we have guns with 40 round max and bows and ropedarts, the game has forced us to deal with unrealistic kill boundaries based on the enemy, like " 3 arrows long range to kill a jäger" and one bullet for a certain gun to kill a certain guard at a certain range". I wish that we could go back to simple times, where a ranged weapon would be a one shot kill or maybe a two shot kill based on range, but those weapons would be very limited. Seems like a far trade off to me. I have no need for 40 bullets.

3. The grittiness

This is perhaps the most important one of all. Everything in AC1, from the combat, to the color scheme, to the music, was just so much grittier and better in AC1. I feel that every since AC went to the colorful and romanticized renaissance, the series lost its bloody and gritty feel. I think that AC4 should have a much grittier feel to it, which could come from more angry and hysterical guards, grittier combat music, or a more grey washed out color scheme like in AC1. I think it's probably mostly the music.

4. The investigation

By now, I am so used to the scripted, explosive, intense assassinations that are in AC that I totally forgot what it was like to actually plan out and stealthily assassinate someone. In AC1, there was a system of investigations you had to do before each assassinations, and these could range from eavesdropping, to beating up a guy, to pick pocketing. Sure, it became a little repetitive, but I still think that that form of investigation was a brilliantly charming break from the usual chaos and combat to actually take my time and be stealthy. I also love the pickpocketing mechanism, where you actually reach out and try to time your pickpocket. Awesome! These investigation type missions should totally return in AC4, with maybe a greater variety.

5. The color scheme

I love the grey and gritty color scheme in AC1. I kinda already mentioned it but I think it is important enough to get its own number.

6. The creed

What the hell happened to the creed? I miss AC1, where you actually felt like an assassin, and there were tons of other assassins around you to interact with, and the whole story revolved around the creed. In AC2, the creed was still there, but you were basically the ONLY assassin in the country at the time, save for a few others. In AC3, despite how much i like him, I wouldn't even call Connor an assassin. In AC4, we should really get to see how the rules of the creed shape Edward from a lawless pirate into a respectable and noble assassin.

7. The beaked hood

I may get some hate for this, but it is really bothering me. I hope that in AC4, it is possible to equip a beaked hood for Edward. Maybe it comes when he joins the assassins. Maybe his beak less hood is just his normal hood before he becomes an assassin. Either way, I fell in love with the beaked hood in AC1 and it has become too much of an icon to be trashed.

8. The freerunning

I love how smooth the freerunning in AC3 is, but I miss some parts of the old freerunning as well. maybe it has something to do with the cities of ac1, where there were so many more beams and posts and ledges to run across than in AC3. Also, Connor was way too slow. Edward needs to be faster.*

9. Some parts of the combat system

I do believe that the combat in AC3 is very good, but there are some parts that I miss from AC1. For example, in AC1, you and the guards could die from a few hits. In AC3, if you don't combo kill an enemy, you could keep repeatedly slashing them for ever. It is ridiculous. I am not talking about kill streaks. I am talking about how if you start attacking an enemy, it takes a few hits before you actually execute the enemy. I think combat has gotten a little too showy in AC3, and I loved the simplicity of the combat in AC1. Personally, i would not miss kill streaks if they disappeared completely. In AC1 and in AC2, guards would die from a couple of hits to the flesh. That is not the case in AC3 and it needs to be changed.

10. Feeling like you are actually in the animus.

I love how in AC1, many things would occur that reminded you that you were in a machine. For example, it would say "reinitializing" after you finished combat, the screen would kinda jitter and be covered in coding for a split second while being chased by guards, and there was an animus abstergo symbol that kept track of your social status. I think that in AC4, some of these things should return. It wouldn't affect gameplay, but be a nice aesthetic to add.

Assassin_M
06-03-2013, 04:44 AM
pleased indeed....very pleased.

Wolfmeister1010
06-03-2013, 05:05 AM
pleased indeed....very pleased.

What do you think AC4 could learn from AC1?

STDlyMcStudpants
06-03-2013, 05:16 AM
1. I was most afraid of ACR guards

2. Boringness

3. Yes...but its a tropical setting so no.....maybe in parts

4. Sitting on the bench and pick pocketing..no..Also we arent fully an assassin in this game so we wont be the planning type....

5. Brown and white...ill pass lol..Im playing Farcry 2 right now and it's pretty painful playing in africa with this color scheme lol

6. Creed mountain is long gone...

7. Not a master Assassin

8. No

9. Ehhh

10. No, I dont want taken out of the Assassin experience...coming out of the animus at the end of a sequence is plenty enough

If anything I think they could learn from Revelations (The most under rated game in the series)
By no means was it the most fun or did it tell the best story....but it was movie quality and out of every assassins creed game made you feel like you were apart of the time and city the most...very over the shoulder..and i loved that perspective...they had the scaling in that game PERFECT.

All I want back from AC 1 and 2 to the old ways is their syncing system.
No checklist of objectives every mission...im fine with being told to do something without being detected though....ACB had some of the hardest missions for Da Vinci's inventions for this reason...some were annoyingly difficult...i dont mind a challenge such as this in the game...but few and far...

AC2_alex
06-03-2013, 05:29 AM
Totally agree with the grittiness and the animus. I hope they return to making you feel like an assassin. Also, I hope Edward is as interesting as Ezio was.

Wolfmeister1010
06-03-2013, 05:39 AM
1. I was most afraid of ACR guards

2. Boringness

3. Yes...but its a tropical setting so no.....maybe in parts

4. Sitting on the bench and pick pocketing..no..Also we arent fully an assassin in this game so we wont be the planning type....

5. Brown and white...ill pass lol..Im playing Farcry 2 right now and it's pretty painful playing in africa with this color scheme lol

6. Creed mountain is long gone...

7. Not a master Assassin

8. No

9. Ehhh

10. No, I dont want taken out of the Assassin experience...coming out of the animus at the end of a sequence is plenty enough

If anything I think they could learn from Revelations (The most under rated game in the series)
By no means was it the most fun or did it tell the best story....but it was movie quality and out of every assassins creed game made you feel like you were apart of the time and city the most...very over the shoulder..and i loved that perspective...they had the scaling in that game PERFECT.

All I want back from AC 1 and 2 to the old ways is their syncing system.
No checklist of objectives every mission...im fine with being told to do something without being detected though....ACB had some of the hardest missions for Da Vinci's inventions for this reason...some were annoyingly difficult...i dont mind a challenge such as this in the game...but few and far...

There is a reason why ACR was the most "under rated", which is because that was the rating it deserved. ACR had a lazy guild system that was a complete departure from brotherhood, a stupid tower defense system, useless hook blade, bombs which were barely useful, a lazy story, barely any assassinations, and a too short length. I am not saying that ACR is a bad game. It is actually a very good game. However, when compared to the previous ACs, it made no step forward from brotherhood, and even took a few steps back in my opinion. The only things I would want to return from ACR would be the sound effects of the explosions/bombs (the mines and guns in ac3 sound awful and dampened) and the tall, urban city, which we already know is returning in the form of Havana.

Assassin_M
06-03-2013, 05:41 AM
Totally agree with the grittiness and the animus. I hope they return to making you feel like an assassin. Also, I hope Edward is as interesting as Ezio was.
Ezio wasn't interesting

What do you think AC4 could learn from AC1?
Everything you posted I suppose....nothing i`d add...you got it spot on

dxsxhxcx
06-03-2013, 05:51 AM
#6 is so true that it hurts, but I doubt it'll be AC4 the game that'll learn something from AC1, IMO something like this will only happen when they really screw up with the franchise...

AC2_alex
06-03-2013, 05:57 AM
Ezio wasn't interesting

You've got to be kidding me. Try not to read "Ezio Auditore da Firenze" in Ezio's voice. His story kept me invested into the game and he was such a strong character that they made 3 games for him.

roostersrule2
06-03-2013, 06:06 AM
You've got to be kidding me. Try not to read "Ezio Auditore da Firenze" in Ezio's voice. His story kept me invested into the game and he was such a strong character that they made 3 games for him.He tries to be funny by hating on AC2 and Ezio, it got old.

Assassin_M
06-03-2013, 06:07 AM
You've got to be kidding me. Try not to read "Ezio Auditore da Firenze" in Ezio's voice. His story kept me invested into the game and he was such a strong character that they made 3 games for him.
How is reading his name in his voice in ANY conceivable way relevant to him being interesting?? Likeable =/= Strong....they "milked" Ezio...they made a casanova..a fantasy of what EVERY male wants to become and what MANY females find "hot"

A playboy, funny and charismatic...gets all the ladies all the time, stylish and has a way with words...he`s every male`s role model and every female`s dream sex partner...how could ANYONE not like him??

now, interesting and strong are 2 very different things from "likeable", strong is well written, showing clear change and development as a story goes on further...I`d say that`s Altair, while Ezio showed little to no change until his THIRD game, but people didn't seem to mind that, because they LIKE playing as a Joking, charming, humorous playboy and they don't mind having him like that forever until he dies, because they`re LIKEABLE TRAITS

Interesting is someone shrouded in mystery, who shows very different layers of personality, someone who has many secrets, a dark past or maybe grander plot...someone who shows different interactions with characters of many colors and different patterns..a different individual...so far, i`d say no character has achieved this yet

Charisma, wit, charm and horniness are not interesting or strong elements, they`re likeable...they ignite and stimulate the fantasy...it`s a part of the many philosophies of character design

roostersrule2
06-03-2013, 06:09 AM
How is reading his name in his voice in ANY conceivable way relevant to him being interesting?? Likeable =/= Strong....they "milked" Ezio...they made a casanova..a fantasy of what EVERY male wants to become and what MANY females find "hot"

A playboy, funny and charismatic...gets all the ladies all the time, stylish and has a way with words...he`s every male`s role model and every female`s dream sex partner...how could ANYONE not like him??

now, interesting and strong are 2 very different things from "likeable", strong is well written, showing clear change and development as a story goes on further...I`d say that`s Altair

Interesting is someone shrouded in mystery, who shows very different layers of personality, someone who has many secrets, a dark past or maybe grander plot...someone who shows different interactions with characters of colors and different patterns..a different individual...so far, i`d say no character has achieved this yet

Charisma, wit, charm and horniness are not interesting or strong elements, they`re likeable...they ignite the fantasy...it`s a part of the many philosophies of character designOr you know it's his opinion.

Assassin_M
06-03-2013, 06:12 AM
Or you know it's his opinion.
Ezio isn't interesting...fact

he`s likeable..

The Moon has no light
IT`S BRIGHT
but-
MY OPINION

roostersrule2
06-03-2013, 06:18 AM

he`s likeable..

The Moon has no light
BUT IT`S BRIGHT
but-
MY OPINIONOr he is, he is the self proclaimed most interesting man Sofia's ever met, which is fact.

Assassin_M
06-03-2013, 06:23 AM
Or he is, he is the self proclaimed most interesting Sofia's ever met, which is fact.
Yes, because Sofia knows not who he is..To her, he`s VERY interesting...Sofia...a character who is ignorant of Ezio`s profession, Ideals and history...anything UNKNOWN is interesting...Like...those who came before (in the beginning) like the pieces of Eden (in the beginning) like the Modern story (in the beginning)

All interesting, because they arouse interest through Mystery...Ezio`s interesting status can only be traced back to his heritage, place in history and part in the grand plot..something which all protagonists share...including Desmond..

AC2_alex
06-03-2013, 06:28 AM

he`s likeable..

The Moon has no light
BUT IT`S BRIGHT
but-
MY OPINION

I've become so used to posting something on a forum and then having some pretentious tool scrutinize every little word choice and over-analyze semantics just to feel smart, or rustle feathers, or whatever the hell it may be.

These aren't ******* novels, they're games. I love Ezio because he was extremely entertaining. He's my favorite video game character of all time. And you know what? His character DID change and progress a lot. From an inexperienced, unfocused, naive, and reckless young man, into a grizzled master assassin, and finally into an old wise mentor who (literally) transcended time.

So yeah, if Edward was as good as this, that would be great.

Rugterwyper32
06-03-2013, 06:28 AM
Hey guys! I just played some AC1 yesterday, and let me tell you, it was amazing how fun it was. Even though the game has evolved through the course of 5 years, the first one still seems to be the most purely fun, with its only worthy contender being AC2. I think AssassinM will be rather pleased with this thread. Here are some things that I think AC4 could learn from AC1.

1. Guards

I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something about the guards in AC1 that makes them seem so much more threatening and scary than all the other guards in all the other games. Maybe it's because of their vicious threats, like "infidel die!" or how they really scream and groan when they get hit with a sword. Either way, the guards seem much more challenging and scary in AC1, and I think guards need an upgrade in AC4.

Agreed on this end. One thing I find effective about guards in AC1 is how they always have the one move you learn after getting the next target, and you actually feel the need to use your socially acceptable moveset when you hear patrol guards walking close to you. There was something intimidating about them. And Templars were tough no matter how good you were until you realized you could counter, switch to hidden blade and kill them.

2. The simplicity

There are so many different tools and crap to use in the more recent ACs, but I got to tell you, there is something so charming about having just 4 weapons, your sword, fist, and knife, and your throwing knives as ranged weapons. It is okay that those throwing knives were one shot kills, because they were very limited in stock. Now, since we have guns with 40 round max and bows and ropedarts, the game has forced us to deal with unrealistic kill boundaries based on the enemy, like " 3 arrows long range to kill a jäger" and one bullet for a certain gun to kill a certain guard at a certain range". I wish that we could go back to simple times, where a ranged weapon would be a one shot kill or maybe a two shot kill based on range, but those weapons would be very limited. Seems like a far trade off to me. I have no need for 40 bullets.

I agree that they should back down on the amount of weapons. I doubt they'll ever go back to only 4 weapons AC1 style, but honestly, 8 AT MOST is the ideal for me. In fact, this is how it would work for me thinking about the 8-directional Xbox360 Dpad: Main directions for physical weapons (same as AC1), diagonals for tools (bring back throwing knives; have poison, rope dart and money throwing). It could work well if you ask me. Have a good introduction for each of your tools rather than just put them in, and it's all good, I'd think. AC3 sorely lacked that for a lot of the tools you got. Out of nowhere you suddenly had poison darts and bombs and you never had a reason to use them, for instance.

3. The grittiness

This is perhaps the most important one of all. Everything in AC1, from the combat, to the color scheme, to the music, was just so much grittier and better in AC1. I feel that every since AC went to the colorful and romanticized renaissance, the series lost its bloody and gritty feel. I think that AC4 should have a much grittier feel to it, which could come from more angry and hysterical guards, grittier combat music, or a more grey washed out color scheme like in AC1. I think it's probably mostly the music.

I fully agree on this. AC1 also has a certain intensity to it because of the excellent sound design. And the writing overall. I still remember the scenes with most Templars in it, for one. The merchant king poisoning the guests, Garnier asking the guards to break the patient's legs, "YOU. WILL. LEARN. YOUR. PLACE!" or seeing the people in the cages when you're entering Jubair's warehouse... It had this feeling the rest of the series hasn't quite caught again.

4. The investigation

By now, I am so used to the scripted, explosive, intense assassinations that are in AC that I totally forgot what it was like to actually plan out and stealthily assassinate someone. In AC1, there was a system of investigations you had to do before each assassinations, and these could range from eavesdropping, to beating up a guy, to pick pocketing. Sure, it became a little repetitive, but I still think that that form of investigation was a brilliantly charming break from the usual chaos and combat to actually take my time and be stealthy. I also love the pickpocketing mechanism, where you actually reach out and try to time your pickpocket. Awesome! These investigation type missions should totally return in AC4, with maybe a greater variety.

A few elements did return in AC3, I noticed, but they were barely used. Pickpocketing, for instance. What I think would help would be changing around the mission structure a bit. Even if they kept the style from AC2 onwards, TokW had this mission which was basically many little missions which felt like an updated version of what AC1 did. Liberation missions sometimes felt like they could have worked as such, too. So how about mixing it up a little? Keep the AC2 format but before the main assassination(s) of the sequence, have a mission that is "X target investigation" and then the Assassination. The more stuff you do the more info you permanently have in your database or something. I dunno.

5. The color scheme

I love the grey and gritty color scheme in AC1. I kinda already mentioned it but I think it is important enough to get its own number.

One thing I loved about AC1 was the fact that every city had a touch of its own while keeping a gritty feeling to it. Masyaf feels calm and yet mysterious, Damascus feels warm and majestic, Acre feel dark and war torn, and Jerusalem feels imposing and holy.

6. The creed

What the hell happened to the creed? I miss AC1, where you actually felt like an assassin, and there were tons of other assassins around you to interact with, and the whole story revolved around the creed. In AC2, the creed was still there, but you were basically the ONLY assassin in the country at the time, save for a few others. In AC3, despite how much i like him, I wouldn't even call Connor an assassin. In AC4, we should really get to see how the rules of the creed shape Edward from a lawless pirate into a respectable and noble assassin.

The problem comes from AC2, which focused on Ezio as being more or less the "chosen one" who somehow manages to save everything behind the scenes with minimal mistakes until ACR. AC3 tried something different to counter that but at the same time it did so by making the Brotherhood in America a wreck which almost didn't exist. Hopefully AC4 shows us a brotherhood with more presence.

7. The beaked hood

I may get some hate for this, but it is really bothering me. I hope that in AC4, it is possible to equip a beaked hood for Edward. Maybe it comes when he joins the assassins. Maybe his beak less hood is just his normal hood before he becomes an assassin. Either way, I fell in love with the beaked hood in AC1 and it has become too much of an icon to be trashed.

The only one I disagree with, simply because I don't really mind that so long as it works with the time. In fact, I'd prefer if they moved away from the outfit, considering it stands out like a sore thumb among crowds.

8. The freerunning

I love how smooth the freerunning in AC3 is, but I miss some parts of the old freerunning as well. maybe it has something to do with the cities of ac1, where there were so many more beams and posts and ledges to run across than in AC3. Also, Connor was way too slow. Edward needs to be faster.*

While I was playing AC1 right after I had finished AC3, I noticed one thing AC3 barely had: The mix of beams, ledges that didn't fit with the buildings, construction stuff like the wood hanging over streets, lots of scaffolds and the such. It made navigation work really well. AC3 added what I'd consider the best freerunning system, but a layout that didn't work well enough. Like I mentioned in other topics, I think it also has to do with how obsessive the team got with historical accuracy and decided not to take many artistic liberties. And that obviously backfired.

I do believe that the combat in AC3 is very good, but there are some parts that I miss from AC1. For example, in AC1, you and the guards could die from a few hits. In AC3, if you don't combo kill an enemy, you could keep repeatedly slashing them for ever. It is ridiculous. I am not talking about kill streaks. I am talking about how if you start attacking an enemy, it takes a few hits before you actually execute the enemy. I think combat has gotten a little too showy in AC3, and I loved the simplicity of the combat in AC1. Personally, i would not miss kill streaks if they disappeared completely. In AC1 and in AC2, guards would die from a couple of hits to the flesh. That is not the case in AC3 and it needs to be changed.

Agreed here. I still think that if streaks stay, every non-most basic mook should be able to not get killed.

I love how in AC1, many things would occur that reminded you that you were in a machine. For example, it would say "reinitializing" after you finished combat, the screen would kinda jitter and be covered in coding for a split second while being chased by guards, and there was an animus abstergo symbol that kept track of your social status. I think that in AC4, some of these things should return. It wouldn't affect gameplay, but be a nice aesthetic to add.

I think that would certainly be nice. I think they should also bring back AC1 style memory walls and take out the desynchronization system.

Yep, that's my take on it.

roostersrule2
06-03-2013, 06:29 AM
Yes, because Sofia knows not who he is..To her, he`s VERY interesting...Sofia...a character who is ignorant of Ezio`s profession, Ideals and history...anything UNKNOWN is interesting...Like...those who came before (in the beginning) like the pieces of Eden (in the beginning) like the Modern story (in the beginning)

All interesting, because they arouse interest through Mystery...Ezio`s interesting status can only be traced back to his heritage, place in history and part in the grand plot..something which all protagonists share...including Desmond..Well then by your logic all the characters are interesting and Desmond actually was the most interesting if you use your logic again.

Assassin_M
06-03-2013, 06:32 AM
Well then by your logic all the characters are interesting and Desmond actually was the most interesting if you use your logic again.
Not my logic, like I said, the only interesting factors to them is something shared by all, is not exclusive to one and is basically the plot....their interesting status is due to the plot, which they`re a part of, thus negating using said plot`s interesting status to label any of them...

monster_rambo
06-03-2013, 06:33 AM

he`s likeable..

The Moon has no light
IT`S BRIGHT
but-
MY OPINION

Yes, I completely agree with you. Ezio was unlikable from the very beginning. Naive, cocky, stupid, and such a simpleton and a wanker. Thinks he is good with the ladies and didn't killed Rodrigo. He was an unfit leader and led the Brotherhood to shambles. Connor was way better.

Rugterwyper32
06-03-2013, 06:35 AM

I honestly didn't like him that much in AC2 and ACB. Didn't help that he dealt with the most uninteresting villains in the series during those two games and I just didn't really care for him much at all. It took ACR for me to actually like him more, but at the same time I was tired of him by then.
Honestly, the modern storyline and the setting were the main reasons that I was invested in the Ezio trilogy (mainly the settings) but not Ezio himself. Specially coming after how Altair had some incredibly interesting dialogue and some great tradeoffs with characters in his game, whereas with Ezio not only he felt like some sort of "chosen one" who made minimal mistakes and villains in his first two games were so bland if felt really one sided.

roostersrule2
06-03-2013, 06:36 AM
Not my logic, like I said, the only interesting factors to them is something shared by all, is not exclusive to one and is basically the plot....their interesting status is due to the plot, which they`re a part of, thus negating using said plot`s interesting status to label any of them...So Desmond is the most interesting then?

Assassin_M
06-03-2013, 06:37 AM
I've become so used to posting something on a forum
If you`re so used, it doesn't really explain your childish outburst right afterwards

and then having some pretentious tool scrutinize every little word choice and over-analyze semantics just to feel smart, or rustle feathers, or whatever the hell it may be.
I love feeling smart, wouldn't you savor the chance??

These aren't ******* novels, they're games.
A degrading and insulting lowering of video game`s status as a form of complex art...something which truly shows how passionless you are towards Video games in general...

I love Ezio
good for you, couldn't really care less

because he was extremely entertaining
ahhhh that`s the word

He's my favorite video game character of all time.
Good for you again

And you know what? His character DID change and progress a lot. From an inexperienced, unfocused, naive, and reckless young man, into a grizzled master assassin, and finally into an old wise mentor who (literally) transcended time.
Unfocused? lol where`d get that?? from the beginning, He knew what he had to do, he was never "unfocused"...and yeah he changed...in his third game that is

So yeah, if Edward was as good as this, that would be great.
Great for you

Assassin_M
06-03-2013, 06:39 AM
So Desmond is the most interesting then?
I don`t know if you`re purposely ignoring what i`m saying or you really don`t get what i`m saying:confused:

roostersrule2
06-03-2013, 06:40 AM
I don`t know if you`re purposely ignoring what i`m saying or you really don`t get what i`m saying:confused:You're saying the one we know least about is the most interesting, which is Desmond.

Assassin_M
06-03-2013, 06:40 AM
Yes, I completely agree with you. Ezio was unlikable from the very beginning. Naive, cocky, stupid, and such a simpleton and a wanker. Thinks he is good with the ladies and didn't killed Rodrigo. He was an unfit leader and led the Brotherhood to shambles. Connor was way better.
Both had their glorious Pros and crappy cons

Assassin_M
06-03-2013, 06:41 AM
You're saying the one we know least about is the most interesting, which is Desmond.
We know everything about Desmond -_-

roostersrule2
06-03-2013, 06:46 AM
We know everything about Desmond -_-No we don't, we know more about way more about Connor and Ezio and perhaps a tad more about Altair.

ProletariatPleb
06-03-2013, 06:46 AM
1. Guards
Definitely, the guards in AC1 and I'm talking of the ones above cannon fodder are nice, the thing is they are random. Although there are some things you can predict, other than that you can never tell when they will dodge, or counter or grab you. I think the music also played a role in creating the feeling of 'threat'. And once you kill most of the big guys, the others ran away due to fear.

2. The simplicity
Yep, they've added so much crap in the game to justify yearly release just for the sake of mindless 'fun' instead of actually useful weapons. Now instead of focusing on an assassin it's more about unbeatable warrior BS who is armed to the teeth........and "fights like the devil, dressed as a man'.

3. The grittiness
YES YES YES except the color scheme. I mean the grey washed out worked for Acre because it was war torn, but the schemes of the other AC1 cities were just perfect.

4. The investigation
I would like investigations to return but not the same was as AC1, because otherwise there will be complains about variety and doing the same thing which I can somewhat agree with.
Basically, find out information about targets yourself, after AC1 in the rest of the games all I've felt was we randomly came upon information or target via a turn of events or in a cutscene and finished with the assassination.

5. The color scheme
Disagree with the grey thing. I think having vibrant cities like Damas or Jerusalem is good. They need to work on creating a good atmosphere instead. For example Masyaf had that ominous and depressing feeling, when in the beginning one of the guys said I had to go see the Master at the fortress on top of the hill I was scared ****less.

6. The creed
Altaïr was the only assassin we got so far.

7. The beaked hood
Really don't care about this.

8. The freerunning
Hell yes, the freerunning is USELESS with the wide streets. It felt pretty much useless in Brotherhood. In AC:R thankfully it was useful because of dense city and narrow streets but then again in AC3, Connor doesn't really climb 'slow' per se but takes longer pauses.

All flash no substance combat.... I think killstreaks just need to disappear.

I'm fine either way but some people are gonna come crying "omg my immurshun is ruined", they were crying about "Press key to skip cutscene" prompt because they want a "cinematic" experience in a game.

Assassin_M
06-03-2013, 06:49 AM
No we don't, we know more about way more abut Connor and Ezio and perhaps a tad more about Altair.
What?? 0_o

We know Desmond`s past and present (he has no future)

The least we know about is Connor..we only know his past and present, nothing further than AC III...

We know EVERYTHING about Desmond..where he was born, how he lived his life, what he was, his personality, his life, his dreams his quest and his "present" state...

I hope you`re joking :|

ProletariatPleb
06-03-2013, 06:52 AM
We know EVERYTHING about Desmond..where he was born, how he lived his life, what he was, his personality, his life, his dreams his quest and his "present" state.
Hahahahahahahahahaahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Assassin_M
06-03-2013, 06:52 AM
Hahahahahahahahahaahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
I know I know :|

roostersrule2
06-03-2013, 06:57 AM
What?? 0_o

We know Desmond`s past and present (he has no future)

The least we know about is Connor..we only know his past and present, nothing further than AC III...

We know EVERYTHING about Desmond..where he was born, how he lived his life, what he was, his personality, his life, his dreams his quest and his "present" state...

I hope you`re joking :|We know where Connor was born, how he lived his life, his personality, his life, his dreams, his quest and we also know his present state.

Assassin_M
06-03-2013, 06:58 AM
We know where Connor was born, how he lived his life, his personality, his life, his dreams, his quest and we also know his present state.
but not his future -_- I said that in the post

I clearly said how Desmond has no future and that we know nothing about Connor`s life after AC III except that he fathered at least one child and then died..

roostersrule2
06-03-2013, 07:01 AM
but not his future -_- I said that in the post

I clearly said how Desmond has no future and that we know nothing about Connor`s life after AC III except that he fathered at least one child and then died..We don't know what happens in Desmond's future either? We know nothing at all about it, you saw that picture with the Abstergo guards.

Assassin_M
06-03-2013, 07:02 AM
We don't know what happens in Desmond's future either? We know nothing at all about it, you saw that picture with the Abstergo guards.
We know he`s dead

nothing further can happen to Desmond...

highlight spoilers^

roostersrule2
06-03-2013, 07:04 AM
We know16 was dead too, he was the most interesting character in all of AC.

Assassin_M
06-03-2013, 07:05 AM
16 was dead too, he was the most interesting character in all of AC.
Fair point, but at that time, we knew NOTHING of 16..not even his name...

also, remove the quote...it shows the spoiler -_-

AC2_alex
06-03-2013, 07:06 AM
If you`re so used, it doesn't really explain your childish outburst right afterwards

I love feeling smart, wouldn't you savor the chance??

A degrading and insulting lowering of video game`s status as a form of complex art...something which truly shows how passionless you are towards Video games in general...

good for you, couldn't really care less

ahhhh that`s the word

Good for you again

Unfocused? lol where`d get that?? from the beginning, He knew what he had to do, he was never "unfocused"...and yeah he changed...in his third game that is

Great for you

You're an eloquent speaker, I'll give you that. And obviously your expansive knowledge of story telling and character development is far superior to mine. That's great. You should feel good about that. But to assume I have no passion for videogames couldn't be further from the truth. You think you know a lot about me because, in your mind, you probably think you win every argument. You think I like Ezio for all the same reasons you hate him. But you're wrong.

You're really missing out on a great character. I feel bad that you weren't able to enjoy Ezio as much as I did.

But let me tell you this. I have a great amount of passion for videogames. I love playing them, reading about them, and discussing them. To say that I have no passion for videogames just shows how arrogant you are.

Assassin_M
06-03-2013, 07:11 AM
You're an eloquent speaker, I'll give you that.
I humbly thank you

And obviously your expansive knowledge of story telling and character development is far superior to mine.
I`m just 2nd year Game Design:p

That's great. You should feel good about that.
oh I do :|

But to assume I have no passion for videogames couldn't be further from the truth. You think you know a lot about me because, in your mind, you probably think you win every argument. You think I like Ezio for all the same reasons I hate him. But you're wrong.
I thank you for trying to prove me wrong...I hope you succeed...lets see

You're really missing out on a great character. I feel bad that you weren't able to enjoy Ezio as much as I did.
I loved Ezio, I never said I dislike him...he`s a great character with great entertainment value to him...you just assumed I disliked him;)

But let me tell you this. I have a great amount of passion for videogames. I love playing them, reading about them, and discussing them. To say that I have no passion for videogames just shows how arrogant you are.
I apologize then...your retorts prove me wrong, i guess..it`s just the phrase that implied video games are a lesser form of entertainment or art is what made me say this...again, I apologize

roostersrule2
06-03-2013, 07:13 AM
Fair point, but at that time, we knew NOTHING of 16..not even his name...

also, remove the quote...it shows the spoiler -_-Yea I was saying even if you're dead you can still have a future, in AC anyway. Also too fast for you ;).

Assassin_M
06-03-2013, 07:14 AM
Also too fast for you ;).
Faster than I am, slower than everyone else:rolleyes::p

AC2_alex
06-03-2013, 07:36 AM
I humbly thank you

I`m just 2nd year Game Design:p

oh I do :|

I thank you for trying to prove me wrong...I hope you succeed...lets see

I loved Ezio, I never said I dislike him...he`s a great character with great entertainment value to him...you just assumed I disliked him;)

I apologize then...your retorts prove me wrong, i guess..it`s just the phrase that implied video games are a lesser form of entertainment or art is what made me say this...again, I apologize

I apologize as well. I hope your game design career goes well.

What I meant about the novels/videogames comment is this: Novels take a decade to make. They are long processes. An author locks him or her self up to create a story. The great authors are defined by the characters they make. Their lives are these stories. Harper Lee will forever be the one who wrote To Kill a Mockingbird. She had no time constaints, she didn't need to rush and finish her novel by Q4 of the business year to maximize sales. She had all time she wanted to take in making this book.

Videogames, unfortunately, don't have this freedom. They need to meet deadlines; they need to make the boss happy. As a result, characters are flawed, stories have plotholes, etc. etc... its just the reality and I hate that. Considering these limits, it makes me admire guys like Ken Levine so much. He takes his time, as much as he can, and makes beautiful games.

I'm all for videogames gaining recognition as legitimate works of artistic merit. And I believe one day it will surpass movies and television and become the greatest form of media-- the best way to experience a story.

For sure, Ezio is flawed. But, I love him as a character and nothing can take that away from me.

Again I apologize, and again I hope you thrive in your career.

roostersrule2
06-03-2013, 07:41 AM

What I meant about the novels/videogames comment is this: Novels take a decade to make. They are long processes. An author locks him or her self up to create a story. The great authors are defined by the characters they make. Their lives are these stories. Harper Lee will forever be the one who wrote To Kill a Mockingbird. She had no time constaints, she didn't need to rush and finish her novel by Q4 of the business year to maximize sales. She had all time she wanted to take in making this book.

Videogames, unfortunately, don't have this freedom. They need to meet deadlines; they need to make the boss happy. As a result, characters are flawed, stories have plotholes, etc. etc... its just the reality and I hate that. Considering these limits, it makes me admire guys like Ken Levine so much. He takes his time, as much as he can, and makes beautiful games.

I'm all for videogames gaining recognition as legitimate works of artistic merit. And I believe one day it will surpass movies and television and become the greatest form of media-- the best way to experience a story.

For sure, Ezio is flawed. But, I love him as a character and nothing can take that away from me.

Again I apologize, and again I hope you thrive in your career.This is why R*>Any other game company.

Assassin_M
06-03-2013, 07:43 AM

Again I apologize, and again I hope you thrive in your career.
Isn't it nice to kiss and make up after a heated argument??:p

Now.....We have properly met...I........am Assassin_M, resident di*k of this forum

pleased to have met you :|

Assassin_M
06-03-2013, 07:44 AM
This is why R*>Any other game company.
I`d say the parent company, take 2, who should be deemed awesome...these guys give complete freedom to their studios...as a parent company, I wish Take 2 would own every other game company :|

guardian_titan
06-03-2013, 07:46 AM
Hate to break it to you, but chances are AC4 is done and is either in alpha or beta. They'd have to be done or very close to it with the game being out in October. If anything, things are more likely to be cut because of time constraints than to be added at this point. Any suggestions you have would not be implemented until AC5 or possibly even AC6. Ubisoft isn't suddenly going to push back the game a year or two to change AIs, cities, models, etc to please a few people.

I did play AC1 after I played AC3 and found AC1 boring and repetitive. Also hated the combat. I'm not quick with the buttons so having to remember which one to hit for what got irritating. One wrong button often got me killed in AC1. AC3 had just the right number for me to keep occupied. It took me playing AC3, AC2, ACB, ACR, and AC3 again along with watching a video to figure out combo kills. AC2/ACB/ACR also irritated me not only with the combat but Ezio's freerunning animation. Who runs at full speed with their palms open? >.> I considered going back to replay through all 5 games the other day but changed my mind after reloading ACR to look up something on the Constantinople map and took Ezio out for a jog just to go look at something. I'd rather replay AC3 for the fourth time than replay AC1-ACR. I loved Ezio's story, but his running irritates me enough not to replay the games. Also love Ezio's voice, but the combat controls cancel that out. Altair was mildly interesting ... until you hear his voice. Seems every game he talks in his voice changes. No consistency there. The animations for him I can't complain about. I think those were good, especially for the time frame the game came out. The animations that irritated me in AC1 concerned the horses. No horse runs with a bouncing rump. It looked more like it was jumping every stride. The variety in horse colors I loved and wish that was kept for the later games. The horses had such a small part of AC1 but they were one of my bigger complaints. Also irritated me that every time I walked into the assassin base in the cities that there was a loud high pitched whistle. Caused me a headache. So frustrating having to remember to turn down my sound before diving into the base only to turn it back up to hear Malik or who ever talk about my next mission. And with no subtittles in AC1, you have to have the sound up so you can hear it or wing the entire thing. Took me over an hour to figure out how to accept my first mission from Malik, too. I didn't realize he gave me a feather that I had to pick up. It wasn't obvious. Any other game would've just given it to me right off the bat.

As for your points:
1.) Main reason why the guards were more lethal in the earlier game was because they were. They'd one shot you if you weren't watching. Altair wore no armor. He just wore a simple robe with a few leather pieces that covered very little. Guards didn't one-shot Ezio because he did wear armor, but they could still nail you if you weren't watching (hate those janissaries >.<). As to why Connor wasn't one-shot ... who knows. He had a bulkier build than Altair or Ezio so could take more hits perhaps? Compare the three or even four if you throw in Edward and five if you throw in Haytham and Connor's built more like a train. He may go slower but he can take a beating. Connor would be more likely to be a bodyguard or perhaps a police officer than the other four in a moden day setting just due to his build. He's more intimidating to look at. Altair looks like he can be blown away by a gentle breeze in comparison.

2.) Simplicity has its ups and downs in games today. You want free assassinations and not be told how to do it but you want fewer tools? What if I want my gun or crossbow and shoot a guy from the nearby rooftop? Take away those and I'm stuck either with using darts, jumping on top of him, or fighting to him. What if I want to set a trip mine, taunt my target, and run away leading my target over the mine blowing him up? Or maybe I want to use my berserk poison darts and hit the bodyguards of my target letting them kill their boss for me. Offering more tools gives more options regarding how to complete missions. Thus more open ended missions. Perhaps limit tools so you change up what you use because you'll likely run out from time to time and have them run out in shops with a decent restock time, but don't take them away.

3.) AC4 is in the Caribbean. A colorful gritty feel is very likely. I can't think of Jamaica without brilliantly colored hats, tie-dye shirts, etc. Dull it down and it's not the Caribbean. Do hope there is at least free roam music. Lot of the islands are also tropical with jungles. Jungles are often colorful. Only places I see relatively toned down would be the cities and even then only Kingston. Havana I see more lively. Nassau will be gritty be default. It is the pirate capital. An indication of the color scheme for AC4 might be hinted at in the Caribbean naval missions in AC3. The water is often crystal clear and the foliage is brightly colored.

4.) Planning every assassination in AC1 got boring. By the third one, I was just going through the motions wanting the game to be over. Go to [city], go to assassin's base, get details on [target], go easedrops/pickpocket/whatever, go back to base, get feather, go kill. Was the same thing virtually every mission. Talking to King Richard and proving myself to him broke things up for like 5 minutes. To give you an indication of how much the game bored me: I didn't realize Malik was one of the assassins Altair was with at the beginning of the game until long after I finished my playthrough, and I only found out because I read it on the AC wiki. Also took me a while to realize Malik was missing his arm. I thought something was off, but it wasn't until I saw various renders and fanart of him that I realized he was missing an arm. I didn't pay much attention to him or most of the other side characters. Maybe plan 2-3 assassinations, but a few should be spontaneous with little to no planning. Edward's a pirate. It's not likely he's the planning type. The guy did run off to join the British Navy leaving behind his wife and daughter with the only apparent thought being money. He gave no thought as to what effect that'd have on his daughter's well being not having him around. I doubt he thought more than 20 minutes ahead let alone a week. Most thought he put into something was likely related to how much money he could get from a particular kill or theft.

5.) See 3.

6.) Edward's a criminal and a pirate. The creed means exactly nothing to him. Perhaps it begins to mean something to him later on explaining why he was teaching Haytham to be an assassin, but I wouldn't expect the creed to really play into Edward's actions for at least the first half of AC4. It probably won't mean anything to him until Blackbeard dies in 1718. Connor didn't follow the creed since Achilles didn't really enforce it, and it would've cramped Connor's attacks on the Templars if he did. Connor was out for revenge ... misplaced revenge, but revenge nonetheless. Ezio didn't really follow it until later, either. He wanted revenge, too. Wasn't until ACB that he really started to put stock into it and build up the Order. Even Altair broke off from it getting himself busted with Al Mualim and getting demoted. Head strong demeanor of the youthful perhaps. Probably be a change in pace if we got an assassin who valued the creed above all else and had to learn that the creed doesn't have to always be followed to the letter. But that'd have to be an assassin closer to Altair's day rather than a later assassin since the creed seems to become less and less meaningful with each century.

7.) The beaked hood also means little. The red sash is still carried across all of the assassins and less likely to scream ASSASSIN to the target. Desmond's the exception since he had neither the beaked hood or the sash ... but he was never a full assassin. Again, Edward is a pirate. Who's to say he even really becomes a full assassin until very late in the game? Connor's less of an assassin than Ezio and Altair so makes sense for him to not have worn the beaked hood, but his robes were likely hand-me-downs from Achilles or another assassin who the Templars killed earlier. Edward's in the Caribbean. You really think he's going to take time off to go to a tailor and tell them to add a beak to his hood without any questions? Guy's trying to blend in, not stick out like a sore thumb. Altair is the only one that remotely blended in and even that was limited since it only worked with priests. Ezio's hood stood out as did Connor's. The beaked hood is really similar to the missing finger. Great way to reveal yourself to a Templar you're trying to kill. If you don't have the beaked hood, they might not notice you or be so quick to attack until you're on top of them. Desmond didn't have a beaked hood, either. Aveline got a beaked hood you could wear, so I wouldn't be surprised if Edward got one as well, though.

8.) Connor was slow to work with his larger build. It was more realisitc. Edward's thinner so will likely be faster. I'm not sure I want a run/freerun toggle button back. I found Connor bouncing off walls and grabbing windows while I was chasing someone irritating so in that way I'd like the toggle back, but that's just another button I'd have to remember which I don't want back. It's quite possible we may have more beams and the like to facilitate roof running in AC4. We know tree running is back and the cables between rooftops are back so there might be quite a bit of rooftop traveling possible.

9.) Only time in AC3 I repeatedly hit a guard and got no where was when they kept blocking me. At that point, countering, disarming, defense breaking, rope darting, etc should be used. Adds more variety to the combat rather than just slashing away. About the only thing I wouldn't mind back would be enemy health bars, but those aren't really necessary. Virtually every guard dies in like 2-3 hits in AC3 anyway if you use the right moves against them. I found the guards in AC1-ACR more irritating to kill, but I also didn't understand combo kills when I played AC2-ACR either. Only guard in AC3 I find to be a pain is the one in the kilt. Couple times I've gotten face planted into the road due to their axe swings. >.<

10.) The Animus needing to reinitialize after every kill, the glitches, etc were all related to the Animus still being 1.0. It could probably still be seen as in beta, especially since Altair couldn't swim. Look at a game today and people get pissy if there's too many loading screens or lag between sections. The new Animus game system can have the entire Caribbean in one map with no load screens. Shows how far the Animus has come since Desmond's 1.0 run in AC1 to our Abstergo employee in AC4 in such a short time. If there was any indication of the Animus in AC4, it'd either be because of a glitch resulting in us getting kicked out of the Animus for a short bit or because of Erudito screwing around. I doubt Abstergo would go so far as to make the entire Caribbean be on one map only to throw in loading bars, etc to indicate that you're playing in a virtual world.

roostersrule2
06-03-2013, 07:49 AM
I`d say the parent company, take 2, who should be deemed awesome...these guys give complete freedom to their studios...as a parent company, I wish Take 2 would own every other game company :|Indeed, it's why they produce such quality titles. When you really think about it they have the king of open world games, GTA. The king of sports games, NBA2k (Although Madden or FIFA could stake a claim) and Bioshock the king of steam punk kinda games.

AC2_alex
06-03-2013, 07:56 AM
If AC4 doesn't recapture the greatness of the early games it may very well be the last AC I spend $60 on. I may even be reluctant to buy it at all if I hear the story sucks and mission structure is not improved upon.

I hope Edward is..... *cringe* ... as interesting as Ezio. Also I hope the free roaming of the high seas is similar to Wind Waker's in its quaintness and the sense of freedom it gives you.

Assassin_M
06-03-2013, 08:01 AM
I hope Edward is..... *cringe* ... as interesting as Ezio
http://i.imgur.com/DeBGf.gif

AC2_alex
06-03-2013, 08:07 AM
http://i.imgur.com/DeBGf.gif

lol.

^^^ and YES. Ambient music. Bring that back, Ubisoft. Boston and New York weren't as charming without it.

Assassin_M
06-03-2013, 08:09 AM
lol.

^^^ and YES. Ambient music. Bring that back, Ubisoft. Boston and New York weren't as charming without it.
agreed...AC III was soulless without ambient music

ArabianFrost
06-03-2013, 11:50 AM
I want AC4 to be a unique game of its own. I a mainly want general things such as non-linearity, moral ambiguity, grittyness and characters and villains that are not only believable, but also not excessively over the too like those of ACB. If they can add more mystery to the modern plotline with e-mails and conversations with the Master Templars about their motives and beliefs, like how Desmond spoke with Vidic, in AC1, I'd greatly appreciate it.

wangtieyi
06-07-2013, 01:57 PM
I think bomb is very useful for sneaking and some battle.....The tower defence is really disguasting.

TinyTemplar
06-07-2013, 02:59 PM
We need more interesting ways of eliminating main targets. And more of AC1 philosophy.

Sushiglutton
06-07-2013, 04:16 PM
AC1 is a flawed game in a lot of ways imo. Sure there are things to learn, but I don't think the devs should look back as much as they should look at other franchises and think about what they can do to evolve the core pillars of the game. Things like the Creed and the Animus are not that important to me. I just want a living, historical world that I can interact with in fun and interesting ways. AC1 was too barebone and repetetive.

Ureh
06-08-2013, 04:32 AM
Platform puzzles (like AC2 and some of ACB). Chases and races. And more stealth/assassination story missions (obviously don't completely remove the massacre gameplay, I'm sure we all need to unleash every once in awhile). Big cities with definitive landmarks. Music and ambient effect.

MasterAssasin84
06-08-2013, 11:28 AM
agreed...AC III was soulless without ambient music

Saying i really loved the ambient sounds of the frontier ! i felt it was so atmospheric .

LoyalACFan
06-08-2013, 11:40 AM
Saying i really loved the ambient sounds of the frontier ! i felt it was so atmospheric .

I dunno, maybe it's just because I grew up on land very much like the Frontier, but I thought it felt... off. Never did I feel like I was really in the wilderness the same way I felt I was in Florence/Venice/Jerusalem, etc. It always felt very artificial and video-gamy. I would have preferred it if they had put in ambient music and made it more of a gamer's fantasy than trying to recreate a completely authentic representation of the northeastern US. Because as it is, I'm not a fan of the Frontier at all.

But on-topic, I think they need to go back to the AC1 philosophy of "your target is in this vicinity; do what you like" rather than "come on sweetie, let's hold hands and I'll show you exactly what to do".

MasterAssasin84
06-08-2013, 11:55 AM
I dunno, maybe it's just because I grew up on land very much like the Frontier, but I thought it felt... off. Never did I feel like I was really in the wilderness the same way I felt I was in Florence/Venice/Jerusalem, etc. It always felt very artificial and video-gamy. I would have preferred it if they had put in ambient music and made it more of a gamer's fantasy than trying to recreate a completely authentic representation of the northeastern US. Because as it is, I'm not a fan of the Frontier at all.

But on-topic, I think they need to go back to the AC1 philosophy of "your target is in this vicinity; do what you like" rather than "come on sweetie, let's hold hands and I'll show you exactly what to do".

Yea for example when Altair was in the crowed and scanning his target the tense music would play ( describing that danger and bloodshed was right around the corner ) it was like Altairs attention was fixated on the target rather than what was going on around him as the tense music cut out the ambient sounds of the hustle and bustle of Jerusalem and Damascus .

I felt the ambient sounds in the frontier was very theraputic in a sense but thats because i have grown up in a big city, AC2''s Music i felt was perfectly suited to the Environments Venezia in Particular ( Dreams of Venice ) i felt the operatic voices captured the Beauty and Elegence of Venice and Florence's ambient music was jazzy and artistic which is exactly how i would describe Florence.

AC3 i felt the devs could have done a better with Music in New York and Boston .

PS-3-PK
06-08-2013, 04:02 PM
I agree with points 1, 4, 6, 7 & 10, but i think the pirate setting is going to be more gritty anyway, i do think you should have a wide set of equipment but i do agree have less ammo but they do more damage, i really do not want the combat to lose kill streaks and i am positive it wont but the guards need to be more varied, not as much in the way you kill them but in their fighting style. I think that you need to feel like an assassin like point 6 says because that is what makes ac1 still a very fun game even though it doesn't have as good gameplay. P.S: Ubisoft stop the never ending fights of ac3 because you can stay in a fight for ever in ac3 if you don't die.