PDA

View Full Version : The marketing campaign from AC3...

FR0ZENZiNE
06-01-2013, 11:24 PM
..was awesome. I was extremely hyped for the game and I found one of the best bands I've ever seen through the launch trailer. In our markets were lifesized Connor statues and the TV-spot was runnig really often. Hope this will return with AC4.

Assassin_M
06-01-2013, 11:27 PM
I hope not :|

one of the many reasons AC III disappointed lots was the insane marketing....claiming AC III was the second coming of Jesus...

FR0ZENZiNE
06-01-2013, 11:31 PM
Time will say. AC4 is currently not that hyped ,but it was the ssame with AC3. The hypetrain began after the E3.

Shahkulu101
06-01-2013, 11:37 PM
I actually enjoyed the build-up of AC3 more than playing the game itself. Watching those trailers brought about a certain nostalgia nearly as great as playing AC2.

ACfan443
06-01-2013, 11:38 PM

one of the many reasons AC III disappointed lots was the insane marketing....claiming AC III was the second coming of Jesus...

Hahaha. Couldn't have put it better.

LoyalACFan
06-01-2013, 11:45 PM
Don't really care, since I know better than to believe anything they tell us now.

pacmanate
06-01-2013, 11:51 PM
I thought this was going to bash AC3's marketing, especially the US vs UK thing they had going on.

But instead, you said it was awesome. I am confused.

ArabianFrost
06-02-2013, 12:23 AM
Let's just say, the hype was more enjoyable than the game itself. I want to believe. MAKE A BELIEV(B)ER OF ME AGAIN, UBISOFT, MAKE ME BELIEVE.

Assassin_M
06-02-2013, 12:27 AM
BELIEV(B)ER
you`ll repent or you`ll die

ArabianFrost
06-02-2013, 12:32 AM
you`ll repent or you`ll die

But justin BiEBer is like ToTeS MCgoATs the most heartfealt singer out there.
#BeiberSigbet #YoLO #SWAG #Cut4Bieber #JK #McGoAts

AdamPearce
06-02-2013, 02:23 AM
I don't think this game will reach the hype of AC3. Why? Simply because the Pirate Era is not a major historic and patriotic event, it's like the Renaissance, it's a period in time. But AC3's setting was the American Revolution (or at least that was the setting in the trailers) so the hype goes crazy around it since it's a major event in History plus it touch many people by it's patriotic side.

Awesome trailer + Big event + Waiting + Crazy americans = Super hype
Awesome trailers + Random setting + Waiting = High hype (AC2)
Awesome trailers + Random setting = Normal hype (ACB-R-4)

So, the hype will be like ACB-R one I think, even less since the only think that really kept most of the people hype & exited for those games was because of the Desmond's Story, now it's gonne and the Modern day story looks really bad...

Assassin_M
06-02-2013, 02:41 AM
the Modern day story looks really bad...
only hears that modern day is first person and is set in Abstergo, calls it bad....

This should be a meme....right next to "AC IV will be crap"

I-Like-Pie45
06-02-2013, 03:07 AM
Modern Day Story AC4

First-person storyline, the return of baseless assumptions

LoyalACFan
06-02-2013, 05:28 AM
I don't think this game will reach the hype of AC3. Why? Simply because the Pirate Era is not a major historic and patriotic event, it's like the Renaissance, it's a period in time. But AC3's setting was the American Revolution (or at least that was the setting in the trailers) so the hype goes crazy around it since it's a major event in History plus it touch many people by it's patriotic side.

Awesome trailer + Big event + Waiting + Crazy americans = Super hype

FALSE. If anything, it was the complete opposite; for every single person I saw who said "hey, awesome, American Revolution!" there were a dozen butthurt whiners saying "way to sell out, Ubi, why are you sucking America's ****?"

projectpat06
06-02-2013, 06:09 AM
FALSE. If anything, it was the complete opposite; for every single person I saw who said "hey, awesome, American Revolution!" there were a dozen butthurt whiners saying "way to sell out, Ubi, why are you sucking America's ****?"

It was only the bucktoothed Brits who were butt hurt and complaining to be honest. The intelligent Brits and the rest of the world didn't care about the patriotic marketing even though the game was set during this patriotic civil war against tyranny.

I am happy to see that there will be three countries who have signed a treaty by this point in history for AC4. People won't complain, and it makes more sense to target any of them. Plus AC3 never really had any encounters between the two sides in free roam, and when they did happen, it was just awkward and looked like a sword fight with muskets.

GreySkellig
06-02-2013, 06:22 AM
Actually, anti-patriotism/anti-nationalism is pretty trendy among young Americans now. I heard plenty of negative reactions to AC3's setting.

Anyway, more on-topic--I love AC3's marketing. I have never followed any game pre-release media so closely. I wound up enjoying the game, but nowhere near as much as I'd hoped. 10.0 marketing on a 7.5 game.

ProletariatPleb
06-02-2013, 06:38 AM
Jeez no, they hyped as if it would be the best game ever and it turned out to be a steaming pile of ****.

montagemik
06-02-2013, 08:10 AM
only hears that modern day is first person and is set in Abstergo, calls it bad....

This should be a meme....right next to "AC IV will be crap"

AC in first person ........................Is a fair enough reason to expect less than good things for modern story. Lost Archives was hardly a shining example .

Lots of people are dubious of mentioned / rumoured features in AC-4 , Given the overhype of AC-3 - can't say i blame anyone for being cynical about AC-4.
You still planning on buying it this year 'M' ??

Assassin_M
06-02-2013, 08:17 AM
AC in first person ........................Is a fair enough reason to expect less than good things for modern story. Lost Archives was hardly a shining example .

Lots of people are dubious of mentioned / rumoured features in AC-4 , Given the overhype of AC-3 - can't say i blame anyone for being cynical about AC-4.
The difference is, though...Lost archive and Desmond`s missions only contained 2 basic actions...walking and jumping...we don`t even know what we`ll have with AC IV....sure, it sounds like there will be nothing more than jumping and walking (heck there may not even be jumping) but who`s to say we wont have hacking for example?? puzzles??

Be cynical...heck i`m cynical...i`m the one who started this whole "pessimism" thing, but i`m not jumping to conclusions...like saying that AC IV wont go up back to its roots, because pirates....or saying that the modern day is crap, because it`s first person...

heck no i`m not buying it this year (maybe i will, if I find the friend reviews tempting enough) i may rent it first then buy it if i`v what i`m promised....i`ll buy it anyway, though....just depends on WHEN and what i`ll get..

projectpat06
06-02-2013, 08:21 AM

ha you know everyone who writes here regularly will buy it. Maybe not preorder it but we'll buy it eventually. Otherwise, why the heck would you waste your time writing stuff here??? AC4 is going to be a fun game. Everyone here knows that. Will it be spectacular without bugs and have an amazing story? We'll see.

ProletariatPleb
06-02-2013, 08:25 AM
One of my friends will most likely throw it my way. But I'm not gonna buy unless it actually turns out good.

projectpat06
06-02-2013, 08:33 AM
One of my friends will most likely throw it my way. But I'm not gonna buy unless it actually turns out good.

Well, I trust darby with the story. If they allow more freedom with the main story missions especially the assassinations and add random events then we pretty much already have the best AC thus far given that the mechanics and animations of AC3 carry over.

ProletariatPleb
06-02-2013, 08:35 AM
Well, I trust darby with the story. If they allow more freedom with the main story missions especially the assassinations and add random events then we pretty much already have the best AC thus far given that the mechanics and animations of AC3 carry over.
Yeah well, you see the thing is we all thought the same of AC3, they pushed the right buttons but in the end almost all of us were disappointed.

projectpat06
06-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Yeah well, you see the thing is we all thought the same of AC3, they pushed the right buttons but in the end almost all of us were disappointed.

Well let's hope Ubisoft hasn't turned into another M. Night Shyamalan and actually learn from their mistakes. With all the competition this fall and negativity from the fans, you would hope they would go out of their way to really deliver this time

montagemik
06-02-2013, 08:54 AM
ha you know everyone who writes here regularly will buy it. Maybe not preorder it but we'll buy it eventually. Otherwise, why the heck would you waste your time writing stuff here??? AC4 is going to be a fun game. Everyone here knows that. Will it be spectacular without bugs and have an amazing story? We'll see.

I've already bought it .................... Doesn't mean we've no reason to be cynical / dubious about promises & features known so far .
I'd be just as cynical about 'freerunning' in AC-2 if it had been crap in AC-1 . So 1st person mode in AC4 doesn't exactly have me bursting with anticipation.

Which like i said , it's fair enough to be cynical...................

pacmanate
06-02-2013, 09:16 AM
Marketing team hyped the game up too much
Marketing team catered specifically for American audiences

Both points, they had to do, they are marketing team, their job is to sell the game.

SixKeys
06-02-2013, 09:54 AM
IMO the marketing for AC3 was crap. The live-action commercials were dumb and the gameplay trailers were all "America, **** yeah". (There was one UK trailer that showed Connor killing some bluecoats, they cut out that scene in the American version.) I much prefer behind-the-scenes features and dev diaries. AC3 did have some of those, but they were mostly bragging about the historical accuracy instead of talking about actual game features.

ProletariatPleb
06-02-2013, 09:58 AM
IMO the marketing for AC3 was crap. The live-action commercials were dumb and the gameplay trailers were all "America, **** yeah". (There was one UK trailer that showed Connor killing some bluecoats, they cut out that scene in the American version.) I much prefer behind-the-scenes features and dev diaries. AC3 did have some of those, but they were mostly bragging about the historical accuracy instead of talking about actual game features.
Live action is always dumb. But other than that they released so many trailers I'm surprised the game didn't finish in those.

Farlander1991
06-02-2013, 09:58 AM
Connor's Story was an awesome trailer, though (and it wasn't about 'America **** yeah at all, really). Well, the UK version. And the release trailer of AC3 was awesome too. ... Well, the UK version. The American version of both of those were awful, ESPECIALLY the American release trailer... (the 'they made one mistake, they left me alive' line was so... BAD. BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD)

pacmanate
06-02-2013, 10:01 AM
Feels like November again

montagemik
06-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Live action is always dumb. But other than that they released so many trailers I'm surprised the game didn't finish in those.

I usually have little respect for games that promote themselves with CGI / Live action .
Much prefer actual ingame engine cutscenes & gameplay - That's what we'll actually be buying & playing .

"Representitive of game features" & "Not actual game footage" disclaimers on commercials usually makes me facepalm .

SixKeys
06-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Connor's Story was an awesome trailer, though (and it wasn't about 'America **** yeah at all, really). Well, the UK version. And the release trailer of AC3 was awesome too. ... Well, the UK version. The American version of both of those were awful, ESPECIALLY the American release trailer... (the 'they made one mistake, they left me alive' line was so... BAD. BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD)

The one I hated the most was the one with "Amazing Grace" in the background. I mean, really? :rolleyes:

Sushiglutton
06-02-2013, 10:56 AM
The numbers say the marketing was brilliant. However there is not specific trailer I really like as much as say the Revelations trailer. I dunno, it wasn't that great in terms of creating memorable stuff even though it clearly was effective.

The one I hated the most was the one with "Amazing Grace" in the background. I mean, really? :rolleyes:

And the version of the song they used was especially hideous. Would have worked for an Independencse Day 2 trailer though.

Farlander1991
06-02-2013, 11:02 AM

Btw, I liked the 'I'm coming home' commercial. Yeah, it had somewhat of an 'America **** yeah' vibe to it, but it wasn't too overthetop and I enjoy it. (Btw, there's Haytham in that commercial, though dressed as a redcoat, so... yeah, but it's not like anybody knew that the character existed :D )

Assassin_M
06-02-2013, 11:04 AM
Ahhh..them days....wonderful days...

anyone remember some Brits throwing a fit at how AC III is anti-british?? we had all sorts of fun with those guys lemme tell ya..CRAZY

ProletariatPleb
06-02-2013, 11:04 AM
I thought the coming home trailer was ****e especially because of the unfitting music.

Ahhh..them days....wonderful days...anyone remember some Brits throwing a fit at how AC III is anti-british?? we had all sorts of fun with those guys lemme tell ya..CRAZY

Well the trailers did indicate that, lol

Farlander1991
06-02-2013, 11:06 AM
I thought the coming home trailer was ****e especially because of the unfitting music.

That was my opinion when I first saw it too :D

Assassin_M
06-02-2013, 11:11 AM
[FONT=Arial]

I didn't say they didn't...I actually defended what they did for a time, but became disillusioned as it verged to simply being over the top...

"depends on those..."

Me: This trailer is freakin` awesome and Connor sounds a lot like Alty, brilliant..

*shot at US flag* "...who are truly free"

Me: ****

SixKeys
06-02-2013, 11:15 AM

The game kinda did, too.

Assassin_M
06-02-2013, 11:16 AM
The game kinda did, too.
I think it was necessary...Connor believing in these guys makes a stronger impact at the moment GW betrays Connor, if Connor was meh towards the patriots, then it wouldn't have as much impact...they managed to make it "kinda implied", though...and that`s something

Farlander1991
06-02-2013, 11:16 AM
I didn't say they didn't...I actually defended what they did for a time, but became disillusioned as it verged to simply being over the top...

"depends on those..."

Me: This trailer is freakin` awesome and Connor sounds a lot like Alty, brilliant..

*shot at US flag* "...who are truly free"

Me: ****

Well, to be fair, they tried to balance that out with 'in the name of liberty, I will fight the enemy regardless of their allegiance'.

Assassin_M
06-02-2013, 11:17 AM
Well, to be fair, they tried to balance that out with 'in the name of liberty, I will fight the enemy regardless of their allegiance'.
Yeah backed by a shot that showed him fighting a bear xP

Well, i guess one`d see it as Justice for the Red coat :P

Konzti
06-02-2013, 11:18 AM

BLASPHEMY! (Although you're kinda right... ^^)

SixKeys

Which would have been fine if the game was actually like that. I don't remember a single mission off the top of my head where you were forced to fight bluecoats, though.

Assassin_M
BLASPHEMY! (Although you're kinda right... ^^)
I love the game...it BY NO MEANS is my favorite game, though...or how they were marketing it anyway

Farlander1991
06-02-2013, 11:19 AM
Yeah and they showed him fighting a bear xP

Well, the bear fight was AFTER the line, the line itself was when he was checking the body of the messenger.

Which reminds me. What's up with that messenger? He wasn't in any of the demos or showcases or anything, did they put that whole sequence just for the trailers?

Assassin_M
06-02-2013, 11:20 AM
Which would have been fine if the game was actually like that. I don't remember a single mission off the top of my head where you were forced to fight bluecoats, though.
Stopping the messengers of GW from relaying orders to attack Connor`s village...it`s actually the ONLY mission were you are forced to KILL someone...every other time you could just use unarmed combat and knock them out

SixKeys
06-02-2013, 11:20 AM
Well, the bear fight was AFTER the line, the line itself was when he was checking the body of the messenger.

Which reminds me. What's up with that messenger? He wasn't in any of the demos or showcases or anything, did they put that whole sequence just for the trailers?

Probably. Connor also shot him in the leg which was indicative of the free-aim system for the bow, but they ended up taknig it out.

Assassin_M
06-02-2013, 11:21 AM

Beta levels I suppose....or maybe one of dem random quests heh...

I do remember a demo with the same description being shown somewhere behind closed doors, though...it was mentioned in GI if I rremember

SixKeys
06-02-2013, 11:22 AM
Stopping the messengers of GW from relaying orders to attack Connor`s village...it`s actually the ONLY mission were you are forced to KILL someone...every other time you could just use unarmed combat and knock them out

Are you including full sync? Because I remember a few missions where you had to kill someone in order to get full sync. (Like "air-assassinate a grenadier".)

Assassin_M
06-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Are you including full sync? Because I remember a few missions where you had to kill someone in order to get full sync. (Like "air-assassinate a grenadier".)
Wasn't including full sync no....but...if you include full sync then yeah..i`m wrong

ACfan443
06-02-2013, 12:07 PM

I wondered that too. If you watch the independence trailer and pause 0:49/0:50 there's a pretty awesome looking battle which wasn't featured in the main game either

http://youtu.be/n1OvvLH2w6Q

ArabianFrost
06-02-2013, 12:09 PM

****.This.Mission.
The pathetically-made AI made it impossible to even get on the boat and even the basic assassination was noisy for some reason. Needles to say, this missions is still not at 100% sync.

ProletariatPleb
06-02-2013, 12:11 PM
****.This.Mission.
The pathetically-made AI made it impossible to even get on the boat and even the basic assassination was noisy for some reason. Needles to say, this missions is still not at 100% sync.
100% sync is for midgets only.

Farlander1991
06-02-2013, 12:13 PM
I wondered that too. If you watch the independence trailer and pause 0:49/0:50 there's a pretty awesome looking battle which wasn't featured in the main game either

http://youtu.be/n1OvvLH2w6Q

Isn't that the Battle of Bunker Hill with winter mode on?

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130102181224/assassinscreed/images/2/2e/Battle_of_Bunker_Hill_13.png

ACfan443
06-02-2013, 12:15 PM
Isn't that the Battle of Bunker Hill with winter mode on?

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130102181224/assassinscreed/images/2/2e/Battle_of_Bunker_Hill_13.png

I thought it was a different battle, cause they did say the game would have quite a few large scale battles, and in the end there was only one

Farlander1991
06-02-2013, 12:17 PM
I thought it was a different battle, cause they did say the game would have quite a few large scale battles, and in the end there was only one

Maybe, but the one on 0:49/0:50 is undoubtedly Bunker Hill. You can see the same tree in the midst of the Brit soldier formation, and you can see the rocks in the middle are of the same shape (even though the screenshot I linked to is from a different angle) and you can see the broken wall thingie therre too... It's Bunker Hill.

x___Luffy___x
06-02-2013, 12:18 PM
i didnt cared about 100% sync it was idiotic.

what irritated me the most was that they just keep showing in RED that you have failed to do this and that. it was ridiculous...

ze_topazio
06-02-2013, 12:20 PM
****.This.Mission.

Just climb to the top of the mast and kill all soldiers with your bow except the Grenadier, then, air assassinate the Grenadier.

SixKeys
06-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Has anyone ever tried to do the Bunker Hill mission with winter mode on? I never tried any of the hacks (not even sure how to do that), I'm just wondering if it's more difficult to run behind cover in the snow.

SixKeys
06-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Just climb to the top of the mast and kill all soldiers with your bow except the Grenadier, then, air assassinate the Grenadier.

Poison darts work, too.

Farlander1991
06-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Has anyone ever tried to do the Bunker Hill mission with winter mode on? I never tried any of the hacks (not even sure how to do that), I'm just wondering if it's more difficult to run behind cover in the snow.

Season hacks don't work in story mode missions :( (well, I tried entering the Father and Son mission while in winter mode, to make New York winter screenshots for my blog and that mission, and it defaulted back to summer, haven't tried with Bunker Hill)

ACfan443
06-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Maybe, but the one on 0:49/0:50 is undoubtedly Bunker Hill. You can see the same tree in the midst of the Brit soldier formation, and you can see the rocks in the middle are of the same shape (even though the screenshot I linked to is from a different angle) and you can see the broken wall thingie therre too... It's Bunker Hill.

I had no idea you could do bunker hill with winter mode, that's a bigger revelation to me than the whole of ACR :p
Off to go try :D

EDIT:missed the post above :I

MadJC1986
06-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Season hacks don't work in story mode missions :( (well, I tried entering the Father and Son mission while in winter mode, to make New York winter screenshots for my blog and that mission, and it defaulted back to summer, haven't tried with Bunker Hill)

I've tried season, weather and time of day hacks, but none of them worked with Bunker Hill.

Assassin_M
06-02-2013, 12:26 PM
I had no idea you could do bunker hill with winter mode, that's a bigger revelation to me than the whole of ACR :p

stop making me laugh my *** off goddammit

Farlander1991
06-02-2013, 12:31 PM

Theoretically speaking you can try finding a way to activate winter in Bunker Hill with CheatEngine (just like you can remove, for example, Ezio's shoulderpad in AC:B with cheatengine).

Obviously devs have no purposes switching that variable on and off for the purposes of filming a few clips (for example, they did similar thing by showing young Connor arrive to Achilles during winter), but we as players have it a little bit more problematic. I don't know why they deactivated season hacks for story missions. (Weather hacks though work in missions set in Frontier/Boston/New York, not sure about day/night hacks).

ArabianFrost
06-02-2013, 12:53 PM

That is incredibly not fun at all. Maybe it's appropriate for full sync, but its certainly not how I would like to play it. Prime example of how the AI and full sync were utter crap in AC3

montagemik
06-02-2013, 01:28 PM
****.This.Mission.

It really wasn't impossible - & shouldn't need more than a few attempts.
( whistle , ledge kills , 2 hidden blades & an aerial on the grenadier - Ezio had a similar boat assassination mission i think )

Megas_Doux
06-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Nah!

Got the 100 on my second attempt....