PDA

View Full Version : So... in AC3 there's an opponent who's worthy of final boss material...

Farlander1991
05-31-2013, 09:17 PM
And that's John Pitcairn. Have you tried fighting him heads on? Here are the facts about John Pitcairn (if you engage him in direct battle):
1. You can't combo him for more than a few strikes, he'll counter you.
2. You can't break his defense with or without weapons.
3. It takes more than 4 pistol shots to kill him (or maybe there's some kind of damage system there and I've been just horribly unlucky).
4. You can't kill streak him.
5. You can't counter him.
6. You can't disarm him with a weapon in hand.
7. You can disarm him while unarmed, but you can't counter kill him after that (and he'll quickly pick up the weapon).
8. You can throw him (but you can't kill him while he lies on the ground). Which, after I found that out, kinda became a little disappointing, since that makes things a little bit easier anyway (since you can damage him a little when he's on the ground).

This guy is harder than the final boss of the game. I engaged him in battle twice, and both times I lost, even with throwing him around.

Shahkulu101
05-31-2013, 09:19 PM
I insta-killed him with the rope dart lol

LoyalACFan
05-31-2013, 09:20 PM
Counter, disarm, choppy choppy choppy, wash, rinse, repeat. He's invulnerable to most moves, but you can just use that one over and over.

Farlander1991
05-31-2013, 09:21 PM
I insta-killed him with the rope dart lol

Yeah, you can insta-kill him easily with anything when he's unaware of your presence, but I'm talking about direct confrontation.

Counter, disarm, choppy choppy choppy, wash, rinse, repeat. He's invulnerable to most moves, but you can just use that one over and over.

Only you have to constantly switch between armed and unarmed to do that properly. I'm not saying he's a particularly interesting enemy, just that I would much prefer the final boss to be like him :D At least there would be enough time to hear the awesome conversation during the battle that way :D

Also, he counters you while disarmed too, so you have to be careful not to choppy-choppy too many times.

Shahkulu101
05-31-2013, 09:26 PM
Yes, in direct confrontation using the rooe dart kills anybody whilst using it in combat, in my experience it killed pitcairn

Farlander1991
05-31-2013, 09:27 PM
Yes, in direct confrontation using the rooe dart kills anybody whilst using it in combat, in my experience it killed pitcairn

That's very strange, because I used every tool on him in direct combat, including rope darts, neither insta-killed him O_o

Shahkulu101
05-31-2013, 09:29 PM
That's very strange, because I used every tool on him in direct combat, including rope darts, neither insta-killed him O_o

Hmmm... I think I disarmed him then rope darted him...perhaps not insta-kill but quick none the less.

Farlander1991
05-31-2013, 09:34 PM
Hmmm... I think I disarmed him then rope darted him...perhaps not insta-kill but quick none the less.

Eh, still harder than the final boss :p I'm pretty sure it can be done so a rope-dart wouldn't insta-kill an enemy in any situation, to fix that particular thing.

Shahkulu101
05-31-2013, 09:48 PM
Eh, still harder than the final boss :p I'm pretty sure it can be done so a rope-dart wouldn't insta-kill an enemy in any situation, to fix that particular thing.

Alot of things would be better than the final boss. Can't quite understand why they thought an incredibly slow paced and hazey sequence which involved pressing the same button again and again was a good idea. A good find btw:)...due to the restrictive optional objective only a limited amount would discover this.

Sushiglutton
06-01-2013, 02:39 PM
Have never engaged him in open conflict tbh, have to give it a go :). I thought about going back to that mission anyway to try and copy the trailer assassination, but then I forgot about it. I still think they should try to implement a more robust one on one encounter system as part of regular combat (a bit back and forth using attacks and counters/dodges). Given how much the combat system was updated from AC2 to AC:B I feel optimistic there's room for improvements.

pacmanate
06-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Counter disarm choppy chop is the best thing in AC3.

Farlander1991
06-01-2013, 07:32 PM
I never understood why unarmed counter-disarm is so powerful. Maybe it's just because I'm not experience enough fighter (I did some swordfighting while in Canada, but... you know, had to leave the country, so my actual skills stayed inbetween basic and intermediate), but logic dictates to me that if you can't disarm an opponent with the help of the pressure from your weapon, you sure can't do that without it (especially considering that you have to get closer to the opponent and it's more dangerous and you really don't have anything to protect you from his blade hitting you). Maybe my thinking is wrong, I don't know.

AdamPearce
06-02-2013, 03:58 AM
I never understood why unarmed counter-disarm is so powerful. Maybe it's just because I'm not experience enough fighter (I did some swordfighting while in Canada, but... you know, had to leave the country, so my actual skills stayed inbetween basic and intermediate), but logic dictates to me that if you can't disarm an opponent with the help of the pressure from your weapon, you sure can't do that without it (especially considering that you have to get closer to the opponent and it's more dangerous and you really don't have anything to protect you from his blade hitting you). Maybe my thinking is wrong, I don't know.

Because unarmed counter-disarm is WAY more awesome thant armed counter-disarm, that's all. it's called being an overly athletic and powerful person:

"Hey look at me, I am Ezio, and I can hit the troath of an overly armored guard with me hand, isn't this AWESOME?"
"Hey, over here, I am older Ezio and now, I can pull in the air a overly armored guard to smack him down on the ground LIKE A BOSS."
"Hey I'm here, older older Ezio, and now, I can take off elite royal Ottomans guard overly aromored, armed and trained with my fists even if I am 52 years old, YOLO."

"My name is Ratonhake:ton, because I'm awesome, and I'm so awesome, that I can run head down in the street and know exactly when someone is in front off me. See casual people, I'm awesome, if to be awesome too, go serch for the game with my face on it on www.ubi$hop.com/mostdisapointinggameever/freedom, RISE! "

LoyalACFan
06-02-2013, 05:09 AM

We're talking about a game where the protagonist can rip through 50 guards singlehandedly in less than 2 minutes, so I think you're over-analyzing :p The fighting never was exactly realistic.

Farlander1991
06-02-2013, 07:48 AM
Well... I call it exaggerated realism :D
Still, mechanically speaking, unarmed counter-disarm is WAY to powerful. Although I think agiles are immune to both unarmed counter-disarm as well as armed counter-disarm? O_o Don't remember now, have to check.

EDIT: Nope, unarmed counter-disarm works on them too.