PDA

View Full Version : Disapointed with my spending

razcrux
05-30-2013, 07:34 PM
Hello, it was not made clear to me before I bought void rising that the card distribution is not even for all the factions. I bought a box thinking that it would have some cards for my Haven deck, but didn't get many. I thought it was just my bad luck, they are on sale right now for 850 which is better than the core-set, so I thought it was a good deal. So I spent real $$$s on seals and then bought another box. I still got only some common Haven cards, and just a few interesting cards for my deck. I'd been using gold from winnings to buy some basic boosters, so with my remaining seals I bought one last Void box, thinking that I can't get them with gold, so I should just try a third time, silly me, still just a bunch of Sanctuary cards...

Then I came to the forum just now and noticed that new players shouldn't get Void, and that it doesn't have equal number of cards for all the factions... this is very misleading and it is not in the help-text when you click on the box-info.

Now I've spent all my money and I didn't really get much out of it, I feel kinda ripped off and sad.

Is there anyone I can talk to to see if I could maybe get enough seals to at least get 1 basic-box? I just dumped a bunch of money into the game and instead of being happy I'm left with a bitter taste... at this point I have a whole bunch of cards for factions that I am not even playing, nor able to.

Thanks.

Maty4778
05-30-2013, 08:25 PM
That's unfortunate that you feel that way, its a great game there is lots to like. I agree that it is a bit unclear for a beginner, but the description of the boxs and packs you bought say "flooded with sanctuary cards" meaning, these packs contain mainly sanctuary cards. By the sounds of it its more of a case of buying without knowing what you are actually buying.

The only advice I can offer is that you'll eventually find a use for the cards you found in the void boxes and a great resource is mmdoc.net as it has the entire card list and which cards are in which set so you know what your actually buying.

Elementalist.
05-30-2013, 09:33 PM
Void rising has some nice cards but sadly it is not a good option unless you already have a good collection of the base set. From there on it can offer some interesting deck alternatives to existing factions but it's better to know what to expect..

razcrux
05-31-2013, 12:47 AM
Yeah "flooded with sanctuary cards" sounded to me like a type of card, not that it didn't contain an even distribution of all factions and should NOT be bought if you do not own enough of the core-set yet.

The game should not push the expansion on you with the "week offer discount 40%" if you shouldn't be buying it with your initial money/seals. The tutorial does a great job of teaching you the game and the shop should have the same sort of experience when you first enter it.

All it would have taken is a tip-window that pops-up and says "first time in the shop? We recommend that you first focus on the basic set before buying boxes/packs of Void Rising. Void Rising contains a lower percentage of starter-deck cards and is thus not a good way to bolster your starting deck before you have enough of the core-set collected."

Thanks for the link to the full card DB, that will be a lot more useful to know what I am getting into now.

razcrux
05-31-2013, 12:48 AM
a great resource is mmdoc.net as it has the entire card list.

Hmm this web page is down, typo?

shadowqqq
05-31-2013, 02:49 AM
Hmm this web page is down, typo?

Looks like too many people accessing took it down, but the site is right. Just wait a couple hours/day.

And I feel your pain... What about making a Sanctuary Deck? Maybe you'll like it?

I doubt Ubisoft is going to help you, sorry.

DragoAskani
05-31-2013, 03:29 AM
Yeah "flooded with sanctuary cards" sounded to me like a type of card, not that it didn't contain an even distribution of all factions and should NOT be bought if you do not own enough of the core-set yet.

The game should not push the expansion on you with the "week offer discount 40%" if you shouldn't be buying it with your initial money/seals. The tutorial does a great job of teaching you the game and the shop should have the same sort of experience when you first enter it.

All it would have taken is a tip-window that pops-up and says "first time in the shop? We recommend that you first focus on the basic set before buying boxes/packs of Void Rising. Void Rising contains a lower percentage of starter-deck cards and is thus not a good way to bolster your starting deck before you have enough of the core-set collected."

Thanks for the link to the full card DB, that will be a lot more useful to know what I am getting into now.
The shop pushed nothing on you. Its the advertised deal because as soon as herald of the void launches VR packs will be buyable with gold. This is their last ditch effort to get people to buy seals for VR since most people will only buy them with gold after HoV releases. If it hadn't been for the problems with the herald release that offer woulda been gone on tuesday. I guess its hanging around till the herald launch.

On the bright side like with any CCG just cause you don't have the heroes/decks to use the cards in now. You will eventually. So nothing was lost in the long run other then the frustration you feel from making a poor buying decision.

obaca
05-31-2013, 03:56 AM
Is there anyone I can talk to to see if I could maybe get enough seals to at least get 1 basic-box?By completing the short single-player campaign, as well as leveling up a couple of times in the process, should earn you close to 1000 seals, which is enough to buy a basic box. Also, there are 5 free redeem gift codes publicly available that give you free cards, they can be found, for example, at the "Duel of Champions: Newcomer Guide (http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.php3?TID=38932)".

Whether it's a good idea to buy basic cards with seals is a question you should consider though, since you can buy core booster packs "cheaply" with gold too. The new expansion, Herald of the Void, is "coming soon", so you might consider saving any earned seals for that instead.

NorsemanXXI
05-31-2013, 12:54 PM
Without some way to trade unwanted cards for wanted cards, what you experienced is normal. Unfortunately, right now, you can't really buy packs with expectations.

You just buy packs to increase your collection and then you do the best with what you have.

GewoonDaan
06-04-2013, 08:46 PM
For what it's worth, I was hella confused too. I saw the 'flooded with sanctuary..', but the whole sentence reads 'flooded with sanctuary and the void' and I was like, but 'the void' is not a faction, what do they mean?
Also, it doesn't make much sense to me that one faction should get a bigger pool of cards. Isn't that unfair? I kinda wish I had picked sanctuary now..

AvinSkylighter
07-28-2013, 02:37 AM
There are some good cards in non-santuary faction (e.g. WC) but probability to get them is lower. For a new player like me, I'd rather buy HotV instead because of the faction distribuion. So I'd suggest that Ubi provides packs and boxes that either:
1. Only contain non-santuary cards, or
2. The cards are evenly distributed by factions instead of card pools (spell are not affected of course).

Sorry for my poor English. Hope you can understand what I mean.

Morkje
07-29-2013, 10:23 AM
I understand what you mean.

For new played Void Rising is a bit weird because there is a higher chance of getting Sanctuary stuff, while there are good cards for all factions.
In the beginning it's probably best to spend gold on Reinforcement packs, and seals on HotV.
You can always go for Emilio's Packs to get a mix of all 3 sets.

You can always go after Void Rising cards later, once you have a nice collection.

Soph93ita
09-18-2013, 11:36 AM
it really feels weird to have expansion that don't have cards for a faction and then have other expansions which have mostly (60%) cards from a single faction.
this mean it's a bad deal if your deck isn't sanctuary and it's too good ( as way too fast) if your deck is.
it would feel more natural to have booster packs where you always have the same ratio of every faction so you can't quickly progress in one of your deck.

distribuiting cards evenly when there are 3x sanctuary cards would make it too hard to find a certain card.
on the other hand adding card to older expansion instead of releasing a new expansion, while completely fair for gameplay, looks weird from an economical standpoint.

i guess a good solution would be an expansion which contains only cards from older expansion, like emilio's pack, but actually well picked by the devs and balanced in number and cost efficient.
you take for example 15% of cards from base set, 40% from void rising ( mostly sanctuary), 35% from void rising. both good and bad cards so it would be on par with base set.

magic the gathering does it every year and it's supposed to be the noob friendly expansion, so the most cost-efficient way for a new player to get cards.

if you keep adding new factions this is probably going to be the second choice for new players along with base set boosters packs.

it doesn't eliminate the fact that when you get a sanctuary hero you can get the cards and build the deck really fast by buying void rising.

dale533
09-18-2013, 10:41 PM
There have been a number of threads which pretty much said "avoid the VR box because ...", and it is also mentioned as something to avoid in the very excellent FAQ written by Robvalue.

xthatwhiteguyx
09-20-2013, 04:00 AM
I'm at somewhere around 60 VR packs opened, no wolf captains, 1 caller of the void. But hey, I have dozens of yukikos, so that must count for something?

Don't get me started on HotV, where I have gotten 11 Turncoats... which may be the most useless card in DoC.

donvweel
11-27-2013, 08:47 PM
Me I am happy with my Void Rising purchases. I got the Haven starter free then got a few boosters, and one box. Played for a bit got the VR box and scored one Wolf Captain and some other decent cards for my Haven set. I bought a couple of VR boosters and last one dropped an Ishuma which really changed the picture. I had enough cards from the VR box to make an ok Ishuma deck and went from 200 to 500 elo pretty quick on that. Still have a decent Haven deck but will buy more VR decks to hopefully get another captain or one of the Sanctuary Unique cards and unlock the Void rising in the Altar of Wishes. So far after a couple of weeks play have two decent decks. Nothing over the top but fine for now.

Baduruu
11-27-2013, 08:54 PM
i havent read a word of this thread just have to say ive spent around 100$ on this game so far and have enjoyed every cent i spent on it so far. and planning on spending more with the new set.