PDA

View Full Version : Machinima: Looking back at Assassin's Creed

luckyto
05-29-2013, 05:41 PM
A very well-done and thoughtful commentary on the franchise through AC3. He very succinctly captures the general consensus around each installment and puts it with nice gameplay elements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jez-RBC-4JE

SixKeys
05-29-2013, 09:30 PM
Pretty good video. He could have talked a bit more about Revelations rather than simply ignoring it, but then again, there's not that much to talk about.

Shahkulu101
05-30-2013, 09:36 AM
Watching this is extremely disheartening. The original concept was great, 3 assassins, three time periods, 3 games. With this business plan they would have ample time to produce 3 innovative and unique games. This worked for AC2 as it was vastly different in terms of story presentation and Mission structure(Investagations replaced simply with missions, some regard this as a step back) and stayed true to the core elements. It was received brilliantly and felt a worthy sequel to It's predecessor.

And then Ubisoft dropped the bomb, yearly releases. Both brotherhood and revelations were too similar and felt like AC2 expansions. This also messed up the modern day story aswell, Different studios working on different games led to plotholes and a generally underdeveloped modern day plot. With AC3 we were supposed to see Desmond as the Ultimate assassin and get a satisfying conclusion to his story. As for Desmond being the ultimate assassin all we got was three shabby missions which were underwhelming, Ultimate assassin? No. And our 'satisfying' conclusion left us with more questions than answers as did the all the previous games endings. Although the historic aspect remained enjoyable the mission design was flawed enormously, filled with handholding linearity, a stark contrast to the originals philosophy of freedom to the player, not to mention bugs and glitches plagued our gaming experience. They should have just took their bloody time for christ sake!

The series could be so much more than what it is now, a cash-cow that lost sight of what it once was...with no integrity left.

roostersrule2
05-30-2013, 09:46 AM
I agree almost fully with this, it's kinda sad.

Assassin_M
05-30-2013, 09:49 AM
I stopped watching when he said "Fans saw no need for Modern day and it turned them off" it`s unimaginably stupid and idiotic when someone speaks for others, not to mention that it`s BS in the first place...The Modern day had GREAT potential in AC I, but he disliked it from the get go....all I needed to turn this off and it losing credibility in my eyes...

Subject J80
05-30-2013, 03:57 PM
It pains me to agreee with some of the points in this video...mostly with the modern day story. I had always wanted Desmond to become the ultimate Assassin.

I remember when Alex Hutchinson and Philippe Bergeron said that Desmond was going to have his big moments and that AC3 would be his Luke Skywalker moment, as like Return of the Jedi...they ruined Desmond. Because when I went back to play AC and AC2 I can't help but feel Desmond amounted to nothing? He was a puppet, a toy! He didn't do anything to become the great Master Assassin we were promised back when ACII was released.

I still love all the games to death but I felt a bit mugged on Desmond!

Vex_Assassin
05-31-2013, 02:16 AM
I agree almost fully with this, it's kinda sad.

This. ^^