PDA

View Full Version : The entertainment factor of Assassin's Creed

Tyrhydion
05-26-2013, 02:13 PM
Last fall I bought the AC and the AC 2 games, this March the AC 3 game. Furthermore I subscribed to the XBOX live after 4 years offline gaming.

To sum it up, AC is very addictive, but not very entertaining and the reason are the optional goals to achieve 100% synch. Actually, it's very distressing and even if you finally get all the optional objectives there is no satisfaction, just a little feeling of relief.

I was looking forward to a gaming weekend and finalising Assassin's Creed III. Actually, I got the main story done except for the Original Gamer achievement and I was not rewarded with the Completionist achievement, because my recruit assassin Jamie decided to finish at 90% as level 11 assassin. So, I downloaded the Tyranny of Washington a week ago to move on and leave the frustrations behind. I thought I could finish it today, but since I just threw my controller out of the window, I don't know how I could still manage that. It's always the same, doing the same missions 1000 times and still not getting the 100% synch. This time it's the eagle flight lessons in Part 2 of the Tyranny which completely cracked me up.....

This series is so hard and even if you get everything done you get slapped in the face with a glitch.

Assassin's Creed with Altair is undeniably crap. I just bought it because I kinda liked the Ezio series and I wanted to get the achievements which were more or less easy to get inspite the terrible controls and unforced open conflicts with guards. Madness came, when I killed the last Templar and only got 59 counted for 60 and no achievement.

Assassin's Creed 2 was quite enjoyable except for Revelations which looked like an arabian blueprint of Brotherhood, so I quit the game pretty soon.

AC 3 is the only game I really tried hard to do everything perfectly and collect rewards and achievements, just to found myself beaten by the game unsportsmanlike with glitches and frustrating missions. It's like lottery and you hardly win in lottery, do you?

Why can't this game not be a little more fun like Fable or Resident Evil? Those games are adorable even without synchronization bars and still are pretty consistent in their stories.

ProletariatPleb
05-26-2013, 02:18 PM
Assassin's Creed with Altair is undeniably crap. I just bought it because I kinda liked the Ezio series and I wanted to get the achievements which were more or less easy to get inspite the terrible controls and unforced open conflicts with guards. Madness came, when I killed the last Templar and only got 59 counted for 60 and no achievement.
Blasphemous. The Assassin's Creed with Altar is the only good one.

pacmanate
05-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Also, no one knows why 100% is even a thing. Its just there to extend short game time and make you go back.

Tyrhydion
05-26-2013, 02:21 PM
Also, no one knows why 100% is even a thing. Its just there to extend short game time and make you go back.

I think you have a good point here. If I wouldn't have focussed on the side missions (which are not really connected to the story) nor to the synch achievements, I would have finished the game in a couple of hours. So, I'm stuck and moving slowly forward since 3 months.

Sushiglutton
05-26-2013, 04:24 PM
I think you have an unhealthy approach to achievements which hurts your enjoyment of the game. The only real reason to play videogames is to have a good time. Therefor you should only do the activities you enjoy. Forcing yourself to play on very hard difficulties or hunt achievements only make sense if you think it's genuinely fun. The way you describe it makes me think you don't think that. So the simple solution is to ignore the 100% requirement and move on. It will be tough for the first couple of missions, but after a while it will feel natural. .

pacmanate
05-26-2013, 04:32 PM
I think you have an unhealthy approach to achievements which hurts your enjoyment of the game. The only real reason to play videogames is to have a good time. Therefor you should only do the activities you enjoy. Forcing yourself to play on very hard difficulties or hunt achievements only make sense if you think it's genuinely fun. The way you describe it makes me think you don't think that. So the simple solution is to ignore the 100% requirement and move on. It will be tough for the first couple of missions, but after a while it will feel natural. .

Bit hard to ignore the Red crosses and text that come up during the mission. Not to mention after the mission when it reminds you again.

Tyrhydion
05-26-2013, 05:46 PM

That was actually pretty easy with AC 2. I haven't achieved 100% and moved on from mission to mission.

But in AC 3 you are always reminded of a failure... it is really annoying to get alarmed if you fail achieving he optional objectives....... but in the end came the slap in the face with the Completionist glitch.... maybe that was also a reminder of letting it go and moving on.......

Assassin_M
05-26-2013, 08:02 PM
I get a heart attack whenever i see that red text...oh...oh....oh....oh.ooh....*dead*

montagemik
05-26-2013, 08:17 PM
These optional things that don't prevent me completing the game story are spoiling my fun !! ..........................:confused:

Solution - Practice more by playing the game & experimenting with all your abilities/techniques . Because TBH there aren't any really difficult sync objectives in any AC game .
The whole reason they exist is replay value - if you missed them first time around.

Farlander1991
05-26-2013, 08:19 PM
Bit hard to ignore the Red crosses and text that come up during the mission. Not to mention after the mission when it reminds you again.

Am I the only one who doesn't see the the problem with the red crosses? I mean, I can find fault in the design of the optional objectives themselves, but the red crosses - they make sense to me. You've failed an objective - you get to see what objective you have failed and you get to choose whether reload from last checkpoint or, well, move on. And then at the end of mission you see how many of the objectives you've failed. Not taking into account that optional objectives can be stupid and/or hand-holding you into a certain style of playthrough that you may not want to follow, the red crosses - that's, well, that's useful information.

Assassin_M
05-26-2013, 08:21 PM
I like the optional BS..it IS BS, but I like it...until they can replace with something better, i`d like it to remain...people are overreacting...if they call optional objectives hard, then we`ll never have a thread of difference in difficulty in any AC game oh and quit the "no, this difficulty is better than this difficulty" it`s lame and stupid..honestly, if you complain about optional objectives that are so freaking easy I found myself doing it WITHOUT knowing what the objectives were for a mission, then you`ll complain if combat gets harder and more challenging...

Tyrhydion
05-26-2013, 09:20 PM
I like the optional BS..it IS BS, but I like it...until they can replace with something better, i`d like it to remain...people are overreacting...if they call optional objectives hard, then we`ll never have a thread of difference in difficulty in any AC game oh and quit the "no, this difficulty is better than this difficulty" it`s lame and stupid..honestly, if you complain about optional objectives that are so freaking easy I found myself doing it WITHOUT knowing what the objectives were for a mission, then you`ll complain if combat gets harder and more challenging...

Without the optional objectives the game would be pretty short and even lame.... where is the point in completing a mission in open conflict? Stealth killing the 5 guards is more challenging than killing them in plain sight. Without optional objectives you can do the game in less than 5 hours and it would be like an interactive movie.

And I think that's a weakness of the game, forcing the player into side missions and optional stuff because the gameplay would be too thin without them... sometimes they are extra hard and sometimes you need to be extra lucky to achieve them. We can accept it or not, I'm halfway accepting it. But what is completely unacceptable, is when you don't get your reward because the game is extra buggy.

I for one chose to do the stupid eagle flying lessons now without the optional objectives ("avoid any obstacle") and I still needed a couple of times to not get desynched, since it is hard enough to pass it without hitting an obstacle at least 5 times. And those stupid obstacles are in a black and white environment and transparent. One cannot easily discern space from obstacle.... afterwards I shut down, because it was too tiring.

Megas_Doux
05-26-2013, 09:32 PM

This!!!!!

Sushiglutton
05-26-2013, 10:11 PM
That was actually pretty easy with AC 2. I haven't achieved 100% and moved on from mission to mission.

But in AC 3 you are always reminded of a failure... it is really annoying to get alarmed if you fail achieving he optional objectives....... but in the end came the slap in the face with the Completionist glitch.... maybe that was also a reminder of letting it go and moving on.......

I have seen tons of complaints of the way the full synch requirements were implemented (I didn't like it either), so I feel it's safe to say there will be changes in AC4. BUT

*Puts on Dr Phil moustache*

at the end of the day it is your own experience and you hurt no one but yourself by forcing you to do things you don't enjoy. I understand it's hard to move on, but it's the most rational thing to do imo :).

Assassin_M
05-26-2013, 11:59 PM
forcing the player into -- and optional stuff
forcing into optional....makes sense...makes absolute sense, mate....legit

SixKeys
05-27-2013, 12:41 AM
forcing into optional....makes sense...makes absolute sense, mate....legit

It pretty much is forcing if the player cannot avoid getting a big red "FAILED" text whenever they choose to do the mission differently. It's ridiculous to say the player only finished the mission by 50% because they shoved one person during a chase or chose to shoot their target instead of luring a bear to devour him.

ProletariatPleb
05-27-2013, 12:49 AM
I think what they mean is optional should be....OPTIONAL. Instead right now it's "if you don't do the OPTIONAL thing, we'll say you didn't finish it properly."

If they want to reward players who do optional stuff then make it related to the missions somehow or a little extra cash or something like that, not make it so that "you've only done 25% of this mission"

Eitherway atleast to me it makes no difference, I play how I want to.

Assassin_M
05-27-2013, 12:50 AM
It pretty much is forcing if the player cannot avoid getting a big red "FAILED" text whenever they choose to do the mission differently. It's ridiculous to say the player only finished the mission by 50% because they shoved one person during a chase or chose to shoot their target instead of luring a bear to devour him.
forcing is MAKING someone do something...is the game doing this?? are you absolutely stuck if you do not do these OPTIONAL objectives? does the game lock you were you stand? does it say "GAME OVER"? no..it just says you failed to attain 100%..that`s how it is...what do you want??

"Pardon your highness, you have...well...I do not want to say failed, but...umm...you...uhh..did not...no...wait...uhhhh...hmmm...y-you...i`m sorry..please..mmm...uhhh...you uhh...y-you, sir...mmm...wait, I know..we apologize for the massive inconvenience, but...you only achieved 40%..I`M SORRY...here i`ll write it in green so you wont feel bad...with a smile face next to it :D a-and good luck next time, you can do it"

Would you like that on your screen instead??

ProletariatPleb
05-27-2013, 01:00 AM
^Not sure if you're joking or serious M.

It's OPTIONAL, should have 0 impact on the completion of the mission. Instead it says "Only 25% completed" how? because you didn't do something OPTIONAL!

Rugterwyper32
05-27-2013, 01:01 AM
I still think the best way to handle that would be turning optional objectives into optional challenges/trials that can be done upon replay of missions.
I once mentioned I think that for freedom they should get rid of desync. And I still do. But I see a few options to use it, and it'd be handled like this: For city limits, we'd see the old style memory walls a la AC1 completely blocking you off rather than desynching you, and you could do missions in a freer way (but make combat harder so there's still a motivation to be careful). HOWEVER, upon going to the DNA menu to replay missions, it'd give you two options: Normal/casual/whatever replay, not changing how the mission is, and trial replay, in which the game would set some parameters. For example, missions that in the past would have used "Do not be detected" as optional objective, it would now be the parameter for the trial. There you would desync. "Do not kill anyone" style optional objectives, well, for the trial that would be what you have to do. Take out nonsensical optional objectives, replace them with ones that make sense and turn those into trials. Have trials that block you from using ranged weapons, for example. Or add time constraints.
I think that would work a lot better, and it would keep a balance. Casual players who don't want anything too complicated could just ignore those, and people who enjoy a good challenge could go for the trials. Add a good reward for doing them, and there you go.

Assassin_M
05-27-2013, 01:06 AM

It's OPTIONAL, should have 0 impact on the completion of the mission. Instead it says "Only 25% completed" how? because you didn't do something OPTIONAL!
well, if you do not collect the feathers, trinkets, almanacs, unlock all the outfits, assassins and Homesteaders, the game will be 33% complete :P

and those ARE optional

ProletariatPleb
05-27-2013, 01:11 AM
well, if you do not collect the feathers, trinkets, almanacs, unlock all the outfits, assassins and Homesteaders, the game will be 33% complete :P

and those ARE optional
That's different. I completed a mission, just because they gave OPTIONAL requirements which I don't want to do does not mean I only played 25% of the mission.

Assassin_M
05-27-2013, 01:17 AM
That's different. I completed a mission, just because they gave OPTIONAL requirements which I don't want to do does not mean I only played 25% of the mission.
You completed a game, just because they gave you OPTIONAL quests which you don't want to do does not mean you only played 33% of the game :rolleyes:

ProletariatPleb
05-27-2013, 01:25 AM
You completed a game, just because they gave you OPTIONAL quests which you don't want to do does not mean you only played 33% of the game :rolleyes:
At this point I'm sure you're doing this for fun...

Regardless, nope. I completed the story and sidemissions not the 'game'.
In a mission? Well I did the bloody mission why is something you say OPTIONALLY YOU CAN DO THIS relevant to my progress of that mission. That just kills the meaning of optional.

Anyway like I said before, I'm beyond caring about optional BS, but achievement hunters etc will cry about it.

Assassin_M
05-27-2013, 01:31 AM
At this point I'm sure you're doing this for fun...

Regardless, nope. I completed the story and sidemissions not the 'game'.
In a mission? Well I did the bloody mission why is something you say OPTIONALLY YOU CAN DO THIS relevant to my progress of that mission. That just kills the meaning of optional.

Anyway like I said before, I'm beyond caring about optional BS, but achievement hunters etc will cry about it.
oh bullocks, well.t`was worth it :P

Anyway, i`m over it too....I just try to find other ways to complete a mission...when I`m in the mood of "trying" I go for the objectives...and they`re easy as bricks...done all the objectives on PC, PS3 and 360....no glitches...nothing...easy as butter

If I see red, I say meh...not like i`ll die

Megas_Doux
05-27-2013, 01:33 AM
Bah!!!!

I do not complaint about those things, you know, at the VERY end, it is OPTIONAL stuff. A pretty easy one to get in 95% of the cases......

ellenlson1
05-27-2013, 02:41 AM
This looks really great. http://gawab.anvtech.com/4.jpg

A.R.T.H
06-04-2013, 08:29 AM
optional objectives are awesome and i always loved em
always completed em
i like challenges
do you not
what kinda gamer are you
go watch a movie man
i find it disturbing that you don't like optional obj's or find em hard
your ancestor didn't fall in to water while saving a guy and if you don't you can still progress, but you will be in sync with em if you do as they did
cause you are reliving a memory
do you fail to understand the concept of Assassin Creed
but i do believe achieving 100% Sync must open additional memories
also like in assassin creed revelations when you get all 10 memoir pages you get access to additional assassin tomb inside Hagia sophia
so ya they are worth it

montagemik
06-04-2013, 09:57 AM

I'm sorry SID , But optional Sync objectives have zero impact on mission completion - They only impact mission SYNC percentage .

Example .
Mission objective / Main task you must achieve as your ancestor = Kill Target A .
Optional Sync objectives + mission objective / Main task & methods used exactly how your ancestor achieved it = Kill Target A , kill two guards with hidden blades , kill a guard with a musket .

DNA Tracker lists mission Syncronisation - not mission completion percentages ........ Your mission completion is not prevented by failing sync objectives.
50% sync = OMG i can't keep playing now , Arrrgghhh a big red cross - made people think they failed at something ( they did , they failed 100% sync) :rolleyes:

I Can only imagine the crying from fans if AC ever implemented real essential mandatory stealth with real consequences - considering optional sync objectives upset so many.

Sync objective complaints = A Case of playerbase limitations limiting the gameplay used in future titles .

ProletariatPleb
06-04-2013, 10:12 AM
I'm sorry SID , But optional Sync objectives have zero impact on mission completion - They only impact mission SYNC percentage .
It's the same ******* thing ffs, stop arguing bloody semantics.

montagemik
06-04-2013, 10:28 AM
It's the same ******* thing ffs, stop arguing bloody semantics.

NO - It really ISN'T . honestly . :nonchalance:

Can you move on to Mission 4 before 'Completing' Mission 3 ? = NO

Can you move on to Mission 4 before achieving 100% Sync in Mission 3 ? = YES

2 completely different things.

ProletariatPleb
06-04-2013, 10:48 AM
NO - It really ISN'T . honestly . :nonchalance:
Yes, it is. Calling it sync instead of mission doesn't change jack. Why even call it optional when it changes your completion percentage....

Not that I care about it at all, don't have 100% sync in any AC game and nor do I care what they do with it but a point is a point.

Mr_Shade
06-04-2013, 11:06 AM
lets keep it civil please...

might be time to agree to disagree ;0

ProletariatPleb
06-04-2013, 11:12 AM
lets keep it civil please...

might be time to agree to disagree ;0
Oh we are civil......atleast I am, arrogant, adamant but civil.

montagemik
06-04-2013, 11:17 AM
Yes, it is. Calling it sync instead of mission doesn't change jack. Why even call it optional when it changes your completion percentage....

Not that I care about it at all, don't have 100% sync in any AC game and nor do I care what they do with it but a point is a point.

Yes a point is still a point - & my point voids yours

ProletariatPleb
06-04-2013, 11:31 AM
Yes a point is still a point - & my point voids yours

Is the objective supposed to be optional? Yes.
Does that mean it doesn't matter to mission completion? No,if you do not complete it, we'll tell you that mission(or sync) isn't fully complete.

And therefore, it's optional in one sense that you can do the next mission/memory and not in another(that they call it optional and still it matters)

Now then if you wish you can continue this discussion but I'm tired of it and therefore will not respond any further, call it whatever you will.

x___Luffy___x
06-04-2013, 11:35 AM
people should have just started with AC 1 and played the games in order which they were released... there would have been less idiots here.

OP saying that he liked ezio thats why he played AC1 and it was crap . buddy you are full of ****. and btw revelations was the best in ezio series.

montagemik
06-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Is the objective supposed to be optional? Yes.
Does that mean it doesn't matter to mission completion? No,if you do not complete it, we'll tell you that mission(or sync) isn't fully complete.

And therefore, it's optional in one sense that you can do the next mission/memory and not in another(that they call it optional and still it matters)

Now then if you wish you can continue this discussion but I'm tired of it and therefore will not respond any further, call it whatever you will.

OK - Think i'll stick with my original thoughts then , They're optional Sync objectives & don't impact mission completion .

Bastiaen
06-04-2013, 04:07 PM
I don't care about this thread. People moan about full sync, but it's just a fun extra thing to complete. Also, these games are not that hard, even with full sync.

MasterAssasin84
06-04-2013, 04:56 PM
I don't care about this thread. People moan about full sync, but it's just a fun extra thing to complete. Also, these games are not that hard, even with full sync.

I dont want ubi to completely miss full sync because it gave that element of a small challenge but i found with AC3 the full sync contsraints was far to restrictive and i dont know i could not be myself and tackle an objective my own way with out the annoying red crosses appearing and ramming it down your throat that one of the contraints has failed. owing to the fact that some of them was beyond ridiculous and worst of all there was no incentive or reward ! atleast with bortherhood you could access Ezio's repressed memories upon successfull completion of the full sync requirements.

Keep the full sync as it was presented in ACB and ACR