PDA

View Full Version : P-40 tactics.

BSS_Goat
09-15-2004, 06:11 AM
I know this has been done before, but lets see if we can get more input. Gotta love this plane it just looks all business like the 109.
Alot of people in a previous thread said stay off the rudder can anyone explain?

http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~wingman/thumbs/p40-04jerry-thumb.jpg

http://www.blacksheep214.com/

Patriotism is your conviction
that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it
--George Bernard Shaw

BSS_Goat
09-15-2004, 06:11 AM
I know this has been done before, but lets see if we can get more input. Gotta love this plane it just looks all business like the 109.
Alot of people in a previous thread said stay off the rudder can anyone explain?

http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~wingman/thumbs/p40-04jerry-thumb.jpg

http://www.blacksheep214.com/

Patriotism is your conviction
that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it
--George Bernard Shaw

Heavy_Weather
09-15-2004, 07:13 AM
the P-40 had heavy torque upon take-off which caused alot of accidents in the war years, in the game it doesnt seem to be all that bad, i've perosnally never had any problems with this bird other than it stalls spins pretty easy in loops. the best way to fly this bird is to stay above your enemy and dive down to them and climb back, seems to work the best for me personally. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

"To fly a combat mission is not a trip under the moon. Every attack, every bombing is a dance with death."
- Serafima Amsova-Taranenko: Noggle, Ann (1994): A Dance with Death.

weasel75
09-15-2004, 08:20 AM
BTW: I have some trouble to find a good strategy against the Zero (AI) http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

This is for QMB, both sides start same altitude... while the P-40 runs faster, it climbs worse (at least I get this impression). The Zero can always turn into me, it climbs good, so it can nearly always face me. So even when I made my high-speed pass and then climb, I sometimes have a Zero at my six (just for some seconds, but lucky snapshots occur). So I climb more shallow, get away (since faster), but I cant built up any significant altitude-advantage. So the Zero stays behind, but climbs at the same rate.
Whenever I turn around, the Zeros is facing me and it ends in an head-on pass. While the P40 mostly wins in this situations, its not a "clean" win, since once in a while you get killed or seriously damaged ...

Any ideas? What to do with the speed?

[This message was edited by weasel75 on Wed September 15 2004 at 07:28 AM.]

F19_Ob
09-15-2004, 08:39 AM
About rudder in P40.

The use of rudder when pulling hard turns will cause the plane to flip easier (not only p40)
especially in slow speeds, and that flip is likely to develop into spin wich u probably wont be able to recover from, if low.

The best is to test this and press the limits.
Without the use of rudder it generally performs well in hard turns and IMO performs better allround than the spits. ( I must admit that I have flown p40 more).

geetarman
09-15-2004, 08:40 AM
I've flown it quite a bit (at least the "E" model).

My take on using it successfully is a bit different than others. I find it turns exceptionally well with combat flaps. You can out-turn many of the more powerful aircraft. It can't turn with a Zero or any of the other famous T&B birds of the early war period.

You must also use it at low altitude to get the most out of it.

It has an exceptional roll-rate and good elevator authority, allowing for rapid changes of direction. This combo allows it to out manuever an FW-190 with ease.

Against Zero's, you're kind of in a pickle. You can't turn or climb away from them. You may be able to outdive them, but at low alt, that's really not a viable option. Your best bet is to keep your speed up and continually come at them head-on and hope for the best. Of course, this is for a one-on-one contest. If you have a multiple plane fight, then try to latch on one's tail.

Honestly, it performs so well in the horizontal plane, that I'm afraid it's FM may be a bit "hopeful" when reading actual accounts. It can also hang on it's prop with the combat flaps down. It seems that its power to weight ratio may be off, not it's roll or turn ability.

I remember once fighting OL with a relatively experienced jock you was complaining about the 40E's abilities in the game as I was continually shooting him down in his G2. After many encounters, I slowly had to start agreeing with him. Great plane, but I don't know if it's a fair representation of the real thing.

F19_Ob
09-15-2004, 08:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by geetarman:
Great plane, but I don't know if it's a fair representation of the real thing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There really is no way of knowing this about any plane in FB. IMO http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

The190Flyer
09-15-2004, 08:52 AM
Personally I find that when taking shots in the engine, it acts like the P-51, one shot in the engine and it's basically done for. About the rudder, I've experienced a little trouble, I agree with F19 on the rudder, the torque I have had trouble, because i wasnt payin attetntion http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/1072.gif but i have had it go over on its nose a few times, but overall great aircraft, i like flyin this one, about fightin the zero if the pilot isnt experienced, it's usually pretty easy to kill, because zero's don't take hits at all. So just hit it and it will go up in flames.

DIRTY-MAC
09-15-2004, 09:56 AM
what model of the ingame P-40s is best?

1.JaVA_Hornet
09-15-2004, 10:15 AM
Its just in the real wartime.

Its known that the zero was (is) a good
climber and turner and its very vunerable.

This is well made by Oleg and his team.

In cfs2 is it the same. There you can fight
with a p38 or an other known american
airplain. In this game you could also outdive
a zero.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/hornetsting/IMG_Spitfires.jpg

geetarman
09-15-2004, 10:35 AM
Dirty - IMHO the P-40E is the best P-40 variant available. It has a good guns, good durability (except for engine hits) and good flight performance characteristics. The other two P-40's seem to suffer a bit compared to the "E" in these traits.

hawkmeister
09-15-2004, 10:50 AM
Re: fighting AI Zero...

Remember, the AI is pretty stupid. I fight the Zero alot in QMB with all the early war US planes. My basic tactic (because you start off co-alt, head-on) is head down, full military power so that at the merge I'm only slightly above the ground. The Zero will always follow and this is his mistake you are waiting for.

His energy retention is terrible, yours is not. After passing, zoom climb vertically at the gray-out level and keep an eye on him with an aft view. At about 200KPH, pull through the Immelman and look down (up) for him. You'll get one pass. If the angles are wrong, use your high speed agility advantage (roll), get angular separation, and head out on the deck for a few miles. Make a rapid 180, staying on the deck, and go head-on again. Use terrain masking. Keep just above the ground and he'll be very limited in what he can do. Take a direct head-on shot at max range, when he pulls up he's dogmeat. If you miss, maintain heading, dive back to ground level, get a few miles separation and repeat as needed until he's dead.

After a while you'll notice that sometimes he'll hesitate, allowing you to modify these tactics and go for his jugular from a rear-aspect shot. Only do that if you KNOW you can get him, otherwise you're bleeding off energy and falling into his domain. If you miss, go straight, head for the deck and hightail it outta there.

Another thing about the Zero - if you have even a slight chance of hitting him, take the snapshot. They die easily and damage even easier - make him fear you! ;-)

-Bill

FI-Aflak
09-15-2004, 12:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hawkmeister:
Re: fighting AI Zero...

Remember, the AI is pretty stupid. I fight the Zero alot in QMB with all the early war US planes. My basic tactic (because you start off co-alt, head-on) is head down, full military power so that at the merge I'm only slightly above the ground. The Zero will always follow and this is his mistake you are waiting for.

His energy retention is terrible, yours is not. After passing, zoom climb vertically at the gray-out level and keep an eye on him with an aft view. At about 200KPH, pull through the Immelman and look down (up) for him. You'll get one pass. If the angles are wrong, use your high speed agility advantage (roll), get angular separation, and head out on the deck for a few miles. Make a rapid 180, staying on the deck, and go head-on again. Use terrain masking. Keep just above the ground and he'll be very limited in what he can do. Take a direct head-on shot at max range, when he pulls up he's dogmeat. If you miss, maintain heading, dive back to ground level, get a few miles separation and repeat as needed until he's dead.

After a while you'll notice that sometimes he'll hesitate, allowing you to modify these tactics and go for his jugular from a rear-aspect shot. Only do that if you KNOW you can get him, otherwise you're bleeding off energy and falling into his domain. If you miss, go straight, head for the deck and hightail it outta there.

Another thing about the Zero - if you have even a slight chance of hitting him, take the snapshot. They die easily and damage even easier - make him fear you! ;-)

-Bill<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heres how I do it, and I can take 16 ace zeros if I'm on my game.

When the mission starts, full military power and climb as steep as you can, about 230 or so IAS.

The zero outclimbs you, but the AI starts off by flying level, so by the time you two meet you have the advantage, then its just energy tactics.

Same thing works for the P-38 vs. lots of zeroes.