PDA

View Full Version : ACIV City Locations

Wolfmeister1010
05-22-2013, 04:03 AM
Hello everyone! This thread is about something that has been on my mind for a while: the city locations. I feel that the cities have been not as good since AC2, and I hope that AC4 brings back that magical feeling that *Florence and Venice gave me. Here is what I hope the cities are like in AC4.

Kingston:

From what info and pics we have gotten, Kingston, the capital of Jamaica, is said to be much like Boston, but in the Caribbean. It is said to have many brick and wooden buildings, tobacco farms, and many trees to climb. and run through.

Personally, There is only one thing that they need to do in order to make sure that this city is fun to roam: they need to add WAY more trees. In Boston, it was promised that there would be plenty of trees between buildings to aid freerunning, but in reality ,there was only single trees placed strategically throughout the city, and they were rare to come across. Without the trees, we were forced to suffer the full extent of the low roofs, wide streets, and boring freerunning that was given to us by Boston. If there were many more trees in the streets and city, like the density of the frontier, then freerunning would be much more fun. It should really give the feel that it is a city inside a forest, which it was. You should be able to stand on rooftops and see the tops of tall viewpoints poking through the forest canopy.*

Nassau:

Nassau is the capital the Bahamas. From the info and little concept art we have, Nassau is a pirate haven, with a variety of different structures, and a chaotic feel to it. It has multiple heights of buildings set on the hills and streets, and a range of wide open streets to narrow alleyways and tall buildings.*

In a different thread, a fellow forum goer gave the perfect description of what I believe Nassau should be like: It should have pirates and *****s and citizens fighting, drinking, and laughing wherever you go, and should have a yellowish orangish flow at night whenever you walk around taverns, the markets, or lanterns. Basically, it should look exactly like Tortuga from "Pirate of the Caribbean", which was dark, chaotic, gloomy, and cheerful at the same time. There should be a variety of ships, taverns, and buildings to explore.

Havana:

Havana is the city we have seen the most of, and thus is likely to be the largest and most interesting of all the cities. Havana has been said to be modeled and inspired by Venice in AC2 in terms of verticality, buildings, freerunning, and the overall feel of the city. It has also been likened as a "Florence under the Caribbean sun". It has tall buildings, many landmarks, and is the most European of all the cities.

I really really really hope that they are serious when they say it will be like venice. Havana should be bustling with all sorts of life and objects, like billows of smoke from the chimneys, seagulls, large colorful crowds, and tall statuesque buildings. The only thing that concerns me so far is the stress of Havana. From all the pics and vids I have seen, Havana appears to be paved with tan, grimy, dirt roads. I really really hope that Havana mostly has the paved stone streets of most European cities. Otherwise, it would just not feel right to me.*

Cities in General:

All cities need to have a few things in common.

1. Many viewpoints and places to go.
2. Large, interactive, and unique/bustling crowds.
3. Many many indoor areas to explore. While in previous games, there have only been a few indoor places to go in, AC4 should have many, marked on the map. These indoor places should vary from dozens of taverns, to many landmarks, ships, and churches. They shouldn't be only small little buildings like the general stores and taverns of AC3, but be expansive, alive, and able to be freerunned and run around in.

These indoor places don't all have to be "indoor". They don't have to be entered by opening and closing a door. They should be able to be walked in freely from the outside world. For example, the pantheon in ACB, the villa in AC2, and the bazaar in ACR were al "indoor" places. That could be walked in freely, with only a change in the lighting and change of sound and chatter to acknowledge the entering of the area. It should play out like this: Edward is running across the rooftops of Nassau, and jumps down in front of a tavern. Outside, the crowds are chattering, and the bustle and chaos of the city is loud and crazy. Edward walks through the open door of a large tavern, where a large orange glow is emitting, casting shadows on the dark streets, and the lighting changes to dimly lit. The sound of the crowd outside becomes muffled and is replaced by the murmuring and clanking of the citizens in the tavern. Next, Edward runs to a large cathedral and goes inside. In here, it is basically silent, and the moonlight shines through the large windows. Here, Edward is free to freerun across the beams and chandeliers of the cathedral.

Your Homestead:

There needs to be a way bigger amount of customization of the homestead here, which is likely returning for AC4. First of all, there needs to be much more customization of the "manor", with you being able to customize the lighting, tugging, and more. In terms of the actual town, you should be able to customize which buildings go where, change the roads from dirt to stone, and do a variety of renovations to the area. There should also be an assassins*guild somewhere in the homestead. If not, then maybe the Jackdaw would be like the mobile guild HQ. there should be way more npcs in the town other than the main character npcs, and a variety of things to do.

The Jackdaw:*

Customization of the ship and crew is good, but most importantly, we should be able to customize and enter the interior of the ship. It would function as the sort of mobile command center for Edward and his crew. You should be able to customize things like the style, furniture, and more in the interior.

So? What do you think? I know that some of my customization options seem unnecessary, but as long as they don't actually HURT the game, I don't think it would be a problem to add them in.

Please give me your opinions

projectpat06
05-22-2013, 04:14 AM
I'm not sure if we'll have our own kind of "homestead" like area to ourselves that we develop or if the Jackdaw will basically serve the same purpose of the homestead in ac3 or if Nassau or a portion of nassau will now be ACIV's version of the homestead. I'm hoping Nassau will serve as the homestead for edward with the more enhanced homestead style missions we saw in AC3. The money we earn goes to build up Edward's property and the city while we interact with pirates of the city and do side missions for them. If nassau is going to be the "homestead" to edward the way the actual homestead was to Connor then I'm most excited to see this city. The homestead in AC3 was one of the stronger parts of the game.

Assassin_M
05-22-2013, 04:17 AM
We`v seen so little of Kingston and Nassau. though...about 3 seconds of Kingston and just a Pic of Nassau...

Wolfmeister1010
05-22-2013, 04:20 AM
I'm not sure if we'll have our own kind of "homestead" like area to ourselves that we develop or if the Jackdaw will basically serve the same purpose of the homestead in ac3 or if Nassau or a portion of nassau will now be ACIV's version of the homestead. I'm hoping Nassau will serve as the homestead for edward with the more enhanced homestead style missions we saw in AC3. The money we earn goes to build up Edward's property and the city while we interact with pirates of the city and do side missions for them. If nassau is going to be the "homestead" to edward the way the actual homestead was to Connor then I'm most excited to see this city. The homestead in AC3 was one of the stronger parts of the game.

I agree, it would be cool to work your way to be the "pirate lord" of Nassau, and maybe help to renovate the city and restore a sense of order. Not to mention the money they you would get. Nassau could be renovated like how Rome and Istanbul were. Hopefully, the changes in the atmosphere and renovations will be much more noticeable, and I also hope that there is some degree of customization. I agree that the homestead system was one of the most refined parts of AC3, but could improved with more side missions and more customization. In case you haven't figured out already, I like customization :)

Wolfmeister1010
05-22-2013, 04:21 AM
We`v seen so little of Kingston and Nassau. though...about 3 seconds of Kingston and just a Pic of Nassau...

There's a pic of Nassau?!! Give me link please M

Assassin_M
05-22-2013, 04:24 AM
There's a pic of Nassau?!! Give me link please M
http://www.dlcompare.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Assassins-Creed-4-Black-Flag-yarr.jpg

Wolfmeister1010
05-22-2013, 04:26 AM
http://www.dlcompare.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Assassins-Creed-4-Black-Flag-yarr.jpg

Oh, I've seen that. Are you sure that is Nassau?

projectpat06
05-22-2013, 04:27 AM
I agree, it would be cool to work your way to be the "pirate lord" of Nassau, and maybe help to renovate the city and restore a sense of order. Not to mention the money they you would get. Nassau could be renovated like how Rome and Istanbul were. Hopefully, the changes in the atmosphere and renovations will be much more noticeable, and I also hope that there is some degree of customization. I agree that the homestead system was one of the most refined parts of AC3, but could improved with more side missions and more customization. In case you haven't figured out already, I like customization :)

I'm thinking far from how Rome and Constantinople. It's a pirate haven so it should be far from restoring order. I'm thinking the way AC3 was and allow for more ways for the city and edward to profit. New attractions that bring in more pirates or outcasts who in turn give you more missions. The main incentive is to obtain more money and more side missions. Also these should be endless. But to stay on topic, I do think Nassau will be fun in terms of free running.

Assassin_M
05-22-2013, 04:32 AM
Oh, I've seen that. Are you sure that is Nassau?
Yup....It was in one interview...can`t remember which one, though...

just take my word for it :P

Wolfmeister1010
05-22-2013, 04:49 AM
Also, since it is such a large part of his life, London should be able to be visited during the game as well

Rugterwyper32
05-22-2013, 05:06 AM
Really, really hyped for Havana. Spanish colonial architecture alone has me sold on it.
Nassau is the second city I'm most hyped about. If the game goes past 1718 (which I'm sure it will) things will get interesting with Woodes Rogers taking the city and trying to put it in order. It'll probably be a pirate paradise for most of the game, but what about afterwards? That could be fun.
Then there's Kingston. Not as hyped for it, but there's a lot of potential there. For one, the city is still under construction at that point. The other part is that the city was messed up multiple times during its lifetime and there's not that much documentation of it at the time, so they have space to get creative (similar to the way Acre was handled in AC1). And they have mentioned a fusion of city and nature, which they could make work really well. Add tons of trees and that would make things more entertaining.

MasterfulList53
05-22-2013, 05:46 AM
For me Nassau seems the most promising. I think having a really ramshackle look and a chaotic atmosphere to match would make it really distinctive and beguiling. Havana seems to me to be maybe looking a bit too much like a poor man's Constantinople, since there is one building that seems to get shown in every screenshot. It has me a little concerned that there will be no other interesting landmark or feature in it. As for Kingston, well that one is a mystery to me. Not sure whether the gridded layout is a good thing or a bad thing.

The main thing I'm looking forward to is just seeing the variety between the different locations. My main concern, however, is that buildings will be rather low again.

Anyway, I won't comment any more on the cities' exteriors: as for indoor locations, I agree that there should be more of them but I'd also like that they all come with their own activities. I loved the taverns in AC3 and being able to physically go into shops was nice, but I wanted even more.

Some ideas:

-an underground fight club,
-a theatre/concert hall with viewable performances on (we already know Edward went to one of these at least once with Haytham),
-indoor mini-games like cards, drinking contests and arm wrestling round at friend's houses and bars,
-a dancehall where you have a dancing minigame (either stately or raunchy dancing depending on venue!)
-break into houses/mansions and rob them without being detected (to get good things like ammo capacity upgrades, ship upgrades, unique outfits, treasure maps, paintings to decorate the Jackdaw's captain's cabin with, etc)
-or even: go to church and try to steal as much money as you can from the collection plate without being seen... well maybe not.

I apologise for shamelessly ripping off GTAIV for most of these. And for people who hate mini-games, well, take what I said with a pinch of salt.