PDA

View Full Version : Is AC1 the oldest game that will be beautiful for all eternity?

Sushiglutton
05-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Replaying AC1 and it's just amazing how beautiful this 6 year old game still is. There are a couple of rough edges, but overall the predominant impression is that of a stunning world. Having recently replayed Bioshock 1 (also from 2007), which I found very rough and frankly a bit ugly, I started to think that AC1 may be the oldest game that will be beautiful forever. The setting, the buildings, Altair and his movements they all feel fundamentally awesome in ways that won't decay with time.

What do you think? Will future gamers still find AC1 beautiful many years from now? Is there any game made 2007 or earlier that holds up as well today?

TheArcaneEagle
05-17-2013, 05:43 PM
What about the Halo 2 on Xbox? Some people I know say that's still good and they play it.

I never completed Assassin's Creed I, what would have been awesome for me (and I know this probably wasn't possible back then) would have been an area similar to the Frontier but with a desert theme. Crusader camps could have been posted around and little settlements so that it doesn't seem empty would have been awesome.

Personally, I don't really like the music, setting, voice acting or even Altair's stubbornness for that matter. The parts I played he was just seemed so whiny in my eyes and always wanted everything his way especially when he disobeyed the three tenants at the beginning of the game. A true assassin never disobeys the order, which is probably why Altair and Assassins Creed I was my least favorite.

pacmanate
05-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Future gamers see AC1 as repetitive, and nothing else. Alot of people only say that about AC1.

In my eyes, it is stunning, it is amazing.

x___Luffy___x
05-17-2013, 06:06 PM
AC 1 is a beautiful and amazing game. i actually do like everything about it considering it was made many years ago.

i also started replaying it. and i really wish that ubisoft take us back to that time period and atmosphere of AC1 again on the new anvilnext engine. it would be just awesome...

Farlander1991
05-17-2013, 06:18 PM
In my personal opinion, a lot of pixel art games have this feeling of 'eternal beauty'.

It's also a matter of personal opinion and perception, I think. There's a game, Evil Islands: Curse of the Lost Soul (recommend to everyone btw, but... English translation sucks, try finding the original Russian version :D ), it was released in 2000. One of my most favourite games EVER (and the one that inspired me to become a game dev in the first place). Even with outdated 3D graphics, I still think that the game is beautiful. Something with its visual design just... connects to me. But I think most people here will think that it's straight up ugly :D

Cornik22
05-17-2013, 06:20 PM
Crysis was also released in late 2007 and it looks stunning even for today standards. I remember how mindblowing it was in terms of visuals back then :)

TinyTemplar
05-17-2013, 06:57 PM
Replaying AC1 and it's just amazing how beautiful this 6 year old game still is. There are a couple of rough edges, but overall the predominant impression is that of a stunning world. Having recently replayed Bioshock 1 (also from 2007), which I found very rough and frankly a bit ugly, I started to think that AC1 may be the oldest game that will be beautiful forever. The setting, the buildings, Altair and his movements they all feel fundamentally awesome in ways that won't decay with time.

What do you think? Will future gamers still find AC1 beautiful many years from now? Is there any game made 2007 or earlier that holds up as well today?

I can say more, I find AC1 game far better than AC2 from that point of view. I mean, AC 2 was great, but it seems like a good old memory and nothing more and I just don't want to disturb it after all these years. But AC1 seems like never getting old, it's still replayable for me. Can't explain why.

pacmanate
05-17-2013, 07:01 PM
I can say more, I find AC1 game far better than AC2 from that point of view. I mean, AC 2 was great, but it seems like a good old memory and nothing more and I just don't want to disturb it after all these years. But AC1 seems like never getting old, it's still replayable for me. Can't explain why.

Same, I finished it last week, I was thinking about doing the whole series again, but didn't want to... cause they weren't AC1 :P so I went to replaying the inFamous series again haha

Sushiglutton
05-17-2013, 07:17 PM
Crysis was also released in late 2007 and it looks stunning even for today standards. I remember how mindblowing it was in terms of visuals back then :)

Here is my argument against that :). Even with my limited knowledge I can see that Crysis is technically better in a lot of areas. For example there are many effects in Crysis that aren't in AC. BUT Crysis relies a lot more on technology whereas AC1 is more a mix of technology and aesthetics. There is nothing inspiring in the design of Crysis (I understand this is highly subjective). The aliens are real meh. Tropical island is nice and all, but not for eternity. As the technology gets more and more dated it will lose its appeal.

However the amazing Arabian architecture combined with the sense of verticality and scale is just striaght up beautiful. The technology is good enough to convey the beauty. We navigate this stunning world as a white-hooded, cat-like protagonist whose every movement is exquisite. I mean AC1 is just on a different level imo :) (this is a pretty silly arguiment, but it's how I feel about it!).

Kaschra
05-17-2013, 07:24 PM
I say Okami still looks really beautiful.

Sushiglutton
05-17-2013, 07:40 PM
Just realized due to you guys answers that I should have qualitfied this a bit more. The oldest realistic looking game that will be beautiful forever :)!

MasterAssasin84
05-17-2013, 08:02 PM
AC1 was amazing in every sense, it was and still is a work of sheer beauty amazingly atmospheric, i never the forget the first time setting foot in jerusalem with this Amazing soothing music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngi8Eww4UAw

and the simply stunning Visuals from the rooftop of Damascus

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100918105611/assassinscreed/images/b/b8/Damascus-depth.jpg

In short its a work of art a masterpiece .

GreySkellig
05-17-2013, 09:03 PM
Even though it doesn't fit the category of realistic games, I personally find Bioshock 1 beautiful. Just my taste. A lot of beauty in games is more about art & design than graphical prowess. That said, realism is a high standard to meet, and AC1 was gorgeous. One of the first games pretty and detailed enough to feel like a real world.

WarriorAegis
05-17-2013, 11:40 PM

I'm reverse of you. I find AC2 replayable for me, over and over again, and I dunno why. XD

SixKeys
05-18-2013, 01:32 AM
Eternity is a long time. AC1 is already starting to show its age. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful game and the graphics are still better than many games coming out today, but saying it will be beautiful in our eyes 50 or even 20 years from now? That I cannot say. I've seen people praise games for their "amazing" graphics when they were still fresh and I always thought "meh, there's room for improvement". AC1 is no exception. The realistic movements of Alta´r are still the most impressive thing about the game to me, graphics-wise, but if you look at people's faces, they look like they're carved out of stone.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120521185824/assassinscreed/fr/images/9/91/Lucyanimus.png

"Is this the face that launched a thousand ships?"

scooper121s
05-18-2013, 01:36 AM
Aye, AC1 truly is one of the most butiful game I have seen in many a year, though unfortunatly it will became increasingly harder to play it in years to come

Free_Hidings
05-18-2013, 02:44 AM
I actually didn't play AC1 till after I got ACR (2011)? And I completely agree. The presentation of that game to this day is almost unmatched. Has that myserious and glowey atmosphere, and such a great setting. Would love to see how it looks on PC

Gi1t
05-18-2013, 03:34 AM
Well, obviously there are a lot of games that still look great even looking back to early systems. That's a very subjective area to begin with. If you're not a fan, you may not be inclined to say it still looks good, but I think there are plenty of games that still look and feel like their old days and newer games don't make them look cheap by comparison even though they have dated graphics.

I actually have never cared for Bioshick's art style much. Even Infinite seemed to have some rough edges.

Two games that I can think of that do seem to hold up very well are Ninja Gaiden Black and Ocarina of Time. Ninja Gaiden Black never loooked out of place on my 360 at all, and even looking at Ocarina of Time in the worst possible light, i.e. N64 graphics on a huge TV, it's clear why it had so much staying power visually. The lighting is remarkable. Just as it is with painting, a lot of the impression of reality comes from color choice alone. The natural look of the colors and their strategic use of more dramatic lighting effects (especially during the final boss fight) adds so much to it. Even modern games don't often do enough with the lighting, tending to be very evenly lit. (The same way my having the same tools as many professional grade artists doesn't make me anywhere near as good because I'm not as skilled and knoledgeable myself.)

As for AC1, although the series gets flak sometimes for its up-close visuals on things like faces, in-game, I think it'll be ages before it starts to look dated. AC1, especially, with its more muted palette ought to hold up for a long time, and I don't think a fan would ever cease to enjoy the visuals. :D (And for the record, Bungie's no expert with face ether. They're much better at metal and always have been, at least during their Halo years.)

Megas_Doux
05-18-2013, 03:55 AM
Newbies, newbies EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Btw, I love AC1.....

SixKeys
05-18-2013, 04:01 AM
Two games that I can think of that do seem to hold up very well are Ninja Gaiden Black and Ocarina of Time. Ninja Gaiden Black never loooked out of place on my 360 at all, and even looking at Ocarina of Time in the worst possible light, i.e. N64 graphics on a huge TV, it's clear why it had so much staying power visually. The lighting is remarkable. Just as it is with painting, a lot of the impression of reality comes from color choice alone. The natural look of the colors and their strategic use of more dramatic lighting effects (especially during the final boss fight) adds so much to it. Even modern games don't often do enough with the lighting, tending to be very evenly lit. (The same way my having the same tools as many professional grade artists doesn't make me anywhere near as good because I'm not as skilled and knoledgeable myself.)

Agreed about OoT. I hesitated whether or not it counted as a "realistic"-looking game because of the anime look, but regardless I still think it's the best-looking game in the entire Zelda series. The color scheme does wonders to create atmosphere and makes you forget about the low-res character models.

Sushiglutton
05-18-2013, 01:00 PM
Eternity is a long time. AC1 is already starting to show its age. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful game and the graphics are still better than many games coming out today, but saying it will be beautiful in our eyes 50 or even 20 years from now? That I cannot say. I've seen people praise games for their "amazing" graphics when they were still fresh and I always thought "meh, there's room for improvement". AC1 is no exception. The realistic movements of Alta´r are still the most impressive thing about the game to me, graphics-wise, but if you look at people's faces, they look like they're carved out of stone.

Yeah characters and especially faces def don't hold up anymore. When you are walking the streets it's kind of meh. But when you are climbing a minaret it's still just gorgeous I think.

Newbies, newbies EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Btw, I love AC1.....

Enlighten me grandpa ;)!

Well, obviously there are a lot of games that still look great even looking back to early systems. That's a very subjective area to begin with. If you're not a fan, you may not be inclined to say it still looks good, but I think there are plenty of games that still look and feel like their old days and newer games don't make them look cheap by comparison even though they have dated graphics.

I actually have never cared for Bioshick's art style much. Even Infinite seemed to have some rough edges.

As for AC1, although the series gets flak sometimes for its up-close visuals on things like faces, in-game, I think it'll be ages before it starts to look dated. AC1, especially, with its more muted palette ought to hold up for a long time, and I don't think a fan would ever cease to enjoy the visuals. :D (And for the record, Bungie's no expert with face ether. They're much better at metal and always have been, at least during their Halo years.)

I agree that many Nintendo games have an eternal charm to them. As for Ocarina of Time it's debatable wether it's realistic or cartoonish (I personally think it's realistic enough to qualify), but there's no denying it's beautiful. Didn't think of it tbh, which is strange because I really loved that game!

I really think that climbing a minaret in AC1 will forever be a beautiful thing :D!

Assassin_M
05-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Novices will novice

Sushiglutton
05-18-2013, 01:09 PM
Novices will novice

Enlighten me M, you old and wise man

http://images.wikia.com/assassinscreed/fr/images/e/e8/Old_altair.png

Assassin_M
05-18-2013, 01:11 PM
Enlighten me M, you old and wise man

http://images.wikia.com/assassinscreed/fr/images/e/e8/Old_altair.png
First lesson

It`s not repetitive..OK?? it`s not :|

It`s also our Religion...and our idiom is this

"That freedom is unmatched, that character is hatched

ALTAIR WAS HEEEEEEERE

That one armed man, is sassy as hell...wait...that does not rhyyyyyme"

TinyTemplar
05-18-2013, 01:12 PM

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120521185824/assassinscreed/fr/images/9/91/Lucyanimus.png

The weird thing is that their faces are not annoying at all. Still looks nice. It's magic.

Sushiglutton
05-18-2013, 01:12 PM
First lesson

It`s not repetitive..OK?? it`s not

Because you played it on a PC, yeah I remember :nonchalance:

Assassin_M
05-18-2013, 01:16 PM
Because you played it on a PC, yeah I remember :nonchalance:
You learn fast...let me kill you...you`re a menace :|

Sushiglutton
05-18-2013, 01:19 PM
You learn fast...let me kill you...you`re a menace :|

Not before you have eavesdropped, pickpocketed and collected flags, preferably several times.

pacmanate
05-18-2013, 02:51 PM
AC1 is repetitive... and the missions are short as hell too.

Pickpocketing (Can do in under 10 seconds)
Eavesdropping (You sit on a bench)
Beating Up (Just beat them up straight after they talk)
Collecting Flags (Just.. why)
Killing Targets for an Assassin who shouldn't even be an Assassin because he is crap ( This is the only fun one really as you cannot get caught at all).

Yes, I love AC1, its my favourite one, but the investigation missions are short, boring and repetitive. Luckily the time period, Altair and story just cancel out all of these.

Megas_Doux
05-18-2013, 03:01 PM
Enlighten me grandpa ;)!

As you wish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32N2LLlQ4b0

And soul Edge!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxrpyv8SNS4

In the Name of Set, what two Classics!!!!!

STDlyMcStudpants
05-18-2013, 06:52 PM
God of War.

I thought AC1 was a ps2 game for the longest time...even when i played it..
IMO it had very poor visuals. =/