PDA

View Full Version : [Video] Herald of the Void Feature Preview by SpaceElephant!

Aza404
05-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Dear Champions,

Find out all about some of the new features coming out with the new expansion in this video by SpaceElephant!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VANCac9NiuI

Enjoy ;)
Aza and the DoC Team

Quarison
05-17-2013, 02:01 PM
http://n1305.hizliresim.com/19/k/n4wkx.png

http://s1305.hizliresim.com/19/k/n4wmj.png

http://o1305.hizliresim.com/19/k/n4wdc.png

http://n1305.hizliresim.com/19/k/n4wfk.png

http://s1305.hizliresim.com/19/k/n4wgu.png

http://s1305.hizliresim.com/19/k/n4wj5.png

http://o1305.hizliresim.com/19/k/n4wtf.png

http://n1305.hizliresim.com/19/k/n4wv0.png

http://o1305.hizliresim.com/19/k/n4ww3.png

http://o1305.hizliresim.com/19/k/n4x2p.png

http://o1305.hizliresim.com/19/k/n4x52.png

http://o1305.hizliresim.com/19/k/n4xd8.png

Screenshots that i managed to take :D

NorsemanXXI
05-17-2013, 02:01 PM
Is it just me or Kieran's ability seam different? =P

NorsemanXXI
05-17-2013, 02:04 PM
http://o1305.hizliresim.com/19/k/n4x52.png

Prevent resource gain from cards and abilities.

Nothing that can't be sent back to the owner's hand. =P

Dalakor
05-17-2013, 02:24 PM
Hahahaha, wow. Damn! Those combo schools on literally all of those heroes, it'll be even worse playing anything that's not a combo deck if we won't see some cheap magic damage prevention in the new spells. Nothing can stay for longer than a round with that amount of burn/removal available on these heroes... god damn and you were supposed to make high cost creatures viable? lols. I'm curious why it's even called "might and magic bla bla" because it's really "magic and magic: duel of mages" at all stages of the game.

The new Stronghold hero is literally the only one that will be played from this faction if you're not going to play one of the currents forms of OTK, since he's the only one with access to removal.

The creatures seem to be really weak though, all of them (1/0/2 flier, 0/0/1 quick attack, 2/1/4 3 mana shooter...wtf is this ****? just bloat to put in the packs obviously).

I'm curious to see the unique spells, with 8 potential tutors there might be something there. Combo deck material again, obviously.

Finally getting a chat is cool (and it looks more responsive than it is now) and the new interface is indeed better so props for that.

Quarison
05-17-2013, 02:28 PM
The creatures seem to be really weak though, all of them (1/0/2 flier, 0/0/1 quick attack, 2/1/4 3 mana shooter...wtf is this ****? just bloat to put in the packs obviously).

these are all small creatures. There will be tier 3+ creatures too.

epicafricantoad
05-17-2013, 02:31 PM
By the way, here's hellfire bloater:

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/8234/lolloo.png
thats one fat guy

Pulpeiro
05-17-2013, 02:31 PM
Thank you for the rewards and the chat system!! Maybe you fixed the event bug? I hope so!
There're many good cards but also there're perfect cards only for Infernal Pit food.

Noboru seems awesome. And 6resources for each hero ability... it's too expensive, isn't it?

epicafricantoad
05-17-2013, 02:36 PM
Alia, Dhamiria and Adar-Malik have got really good abilities that should cost 6res. But the others... 6 res for outmaneouvre for Noboru is ridiculous:D

cheers
Toad

NorsemanXXI
05-17-2013, 02:40 PM
And 6resources for each hero ability... it's too expensive, isn't it?

They are clearly made for late game.

Sanctuary and Necro abilities seam to be the best abilities.

Dalakor
05-17-2013, 02:42 PM
these are all small creatures. There will be tier 3+ creatures too.
*Whoosh* and that went right over your head :P. They're at minimum 3 creature cards that are worthless for any deck, that means 3 possible cards in the packs that are dead cards: the 0/0/1 has nothing going for it, the 1/0/2 is a 1 drop that's immune to earthquake which would be cool if it did something other than 1 damage (it's bland, worthless and dies to any non-utility 2 drop.) and the 2/1/4 shooter is inferior in all but one case (incorporeals) to the 3/0/3.

Oh yeah, the daily rewards are cool too, especially since they seem to have tickets in them :).

Oh yeah as for the hero abilities? My opinion is:
heaven: worthless. Rarely many creatures are left at low HP to be worth using 6 APs
inferno: marginally useful for late game vs 3card+ combos
necro: by far the most usable, with atropos and banshee.
sanctuary: lol, as someone said above, 6 ap outmaneuver
stronghold: looks solid but it's quite the opposite of how stronghold plays atm, if you get to actually play 2 turns at 6+ ap (to have a useful creature that can use those abilities) and not have to use those 6ap for other creatures/spells/fortunes, you've probably already won the game.

epicafricantoad
05-17-2013, 02:45 PM
Sanctuary and Necro abilities seam to be the best abilities.
Are you aware that sanctuary has a bunch of t3 and t5 creatures with this ability? ;)

cheers
Toad

Elementalist.
05-17-2013, 02:46 PM
Sweet! So there will be no new faction after all?

Frozen-Drake
05-17-2013, 02:51 PM
Okana no Okane seems a temptative to stop OTK, or to delay it by 1 turn...
the abilities seem cool but very costly (6 resources, wow), the only barely cost-effective is stronghold's one and necro
the inferno one would be perfect if it was affecting even cards on the deck like garant's purge...
regarding the 2/1/4 shooter, it's a water elemental, so it's ok since it will be neutral

p.s. i've seen 2 t2 creatures of sanctuary, woot!

edit: wat, unique spells? O.o that'd be cool

Dalakor
05-17-2013, 02:59 PM
regarding the 2/1/4 shooter, it's a water elemental, so it's ok since it will be neutral
Sure but who uses it? What's the point of a tankier shooter when all factions have strong 3 drops? Haven has rider and glory, necro has lamashtu and zombie, inferno has juggernaut and cerberus which are really strong 3 drops, sanctuary has all the facncy stuff: maiden (which is for all intents and purposes a better water ele), priestess and even the guard and stronghold's shooter is miles above water ele (3/2/4 vs 2/1/4)

NorsemanXXI
05-17-2013, 03:01 PM
Are you aware that sanctuary has a bunch of t3 and t5 creatures with this ability?

I am.

Inferno also has a lot of cheap discarding spells. That doesn't make the Inferno hero ability less powerful. Having the possibility of displacement in your hero for late game seams very good (in theory), even if you have a outmaneuver card in the hand, doesn't matter, you can potentially displace two enemy creatures, that can make serious damage.

While I think the Inferno hero ability is also good, it shines mostly against a specific type of deck, like I said, those are late game abilities, and in late game is not very normal for -most- decks to keep spells or fortunes in their hands.

epicafricantoad
05-17-2013, 03:14 PM
Compare the costs of Belias and that hero ability:)

cheers
Toad

hydramarine
05-17-2013, 03:30 PM
Hellfire Bloater. Watch for that one.

As for the new heroes. They all have very good schools. So they will make good control decks, and their abilities can only be used in late game. So I think good school / good abilities / high Cost for ability is good for the game. Stronghold's charge will be SWEEEET with the fatties. All of them has their uses really.

Also, nice trolling on Uraxor, SpaceElephant. I LOL'ed at that one. :D

svilleneuve
05-17-2013, 03:33 PM
The one thing to remember when you're comparing an ability to a card effect, is that the Hero ability doesn't cost you a card. Yes it might cost you your draw, but you still can do it with an empty hand and you can rely on it every turn, you don't have to get the card in question in your hand to play the effect. That counts in the balance of the Hero as well.

Also some school combos are better than others, which might explain why some abilities aren't as good as the others.

Hantziie
05-17-2013, 03:37 PM
No spectator mode? :( Anyway... the Sanctuary hero doesn't look that good... I expected more.

Frozen-Drake
05-17-2013, 03:48 PM
i've also seen quite a lot of new creatures, so no new faction it seems... 6 months and no faction means they are really sure of the new cards.

hydramarin
05-17-2013, 04:25 PM
http://o1305.hizliresim.com/19/k/n4wtf.png

Description for the quick attack is changed. Now it can quick attack when Puppet Mastered as well.

Dalakor
05-17-2013, 04:56 PM
The one thing to remember when you're comparing an ability to a card effect, is that the Hero ability doesn't cost you a card. Yes it might cost you your draw, but you still can do it with an empty hand and you can rely on it every turn, you don't have to get the card in question in your hand to play the effect. That counts in the balance of the Hero as well.

Also some school combos are better than others, which might explain why some abilities aren't as good as the others.

There are a few things here that are worth mentioning:

1. Action economy. This high of an AP cost means these abilities diminish your impact on the board by quite a huge margin in the turn they're used. You need to "do stuff" to gain an advantage, and the more stuff you do(or the "better" stuff you do) the bigger an advantage you get. 6 AP cost means that usually you're forfeiting your entire impact on the board (for a large part of the game at least), but the problem is, with the exception of the stronghold hero none of those are even worth the actions lost.

2. Cost. As far as i've seen neutral card draw is worth about 2AP per card. Most of the heroes don't have cumulative cost on their effects worthy of 6 AP:
Haven: 3 AP for the heal all effect, 2 for the card draw that's 5 (with a huge condition attached to it: have multiple creatures that are worth healing and that's really hard in today's meta)
Inferno: 2AP discard effect, 2 AP draw => 4 mana.
Necropolis: 1 AP return to hand effect + 2AP draw= 3 mana. The only thing that makes this worth it is the fact that necropolis has 2 good "comes in play" epics.
Sanctuary: 2AP move + 2 AP draw=4 mana. for an effect that's quite situational
Stronghold: 3 AP effect + 1 AP conditional double DPR + 2 draw effet=6. Only one that seems to be worth it from a cost PoV

3.Card Advantage, how much are you supposed to gain (or opponent lose) by using this ability. Realistically i cannot see any of these abilities saving more than 2 maybe 4 (inferno's case vs combo decks) cards in a deck due to the absolutely huge AP cost.

svilleneuve
05-17-2013, 05:01 PM
Makes more sense doesn't it? It's not because you're controlled by someone else that you lost your speed and agility!

CytherSlash
05-17-2013, 05:16 PM
Earth + Light wil be so awesome!

svilleneuve
05-17-2013, 05:17 PM
There are a few things here that are worth mentioning:

1. Action economy. This high of an AP cost means these abilities diminish your impact on the board by quite a huge margin in the turn they're used. You need to "do stuff" to gain an advantage, and the more stuff you do(or the "better" stuff you do) the bigger an advantage you get. 6 AP cost means that usually you're forfeiting your entire impact on the board (for a large part of the game at least), but the problem is, with the exception of the stronghold hero none of those are even worth the actions lost.

2. Cost. As far as i've seen neutral card draw is worth about 2AP per card. Most of the heroes don't have cumulative cost on their effects worthy of 6 AP:
Haven: 3 AP for the heal all effect, 2 for the card draw that's 5 (with a huge condition attached to it: have multiple creatures that are worth healing and that's really hard in today's meta)
Inferno: 2AP discard effect, 2 AP draw => 4 mana.
Necropolis: 1 AP return to hand effect + 2AP draw= 3 mana. The only thing that makes this worth it is the fact that necropolis has 2 good "comes in play" epics.
Sanctuary: 2AP move + 2 AP draw=4 mana. for an effect that's quite situational
Stronghold: 3 AP effect + 1 AP conditional double DPR + 2 draw effet=6. Only one that seems to be worth it from a cost PoV

3.Card Advantage, how much are you supposed to gain (or opponent lose) by using this ability. Realistically i cannot see any of these abilities saving more than 2 maybe 4 (inferno's case vs combo decks) cards in a deck due to the absolutely huge AP cost.

Don't forget that while comparing Hero abilities to a card with a similar effect, you have to factor in that you can use the ability any time, you don't need the card in your hand. Plus you don't need additional copies to repeat the effect.

For example, an effect that lets you get a creature from your graveyard each turn is a dangerous potential for combo if its repeatable in a control deck. Its much harder to repeat each turn if the cost is High. We decided to leave those Heroes as is because some of them were interesting with their combination of Schools. We preferred to put the emphasis on that new thing first and then see how a high cost ability fares.

r3tsa
05-17-2013, 05:28 PM
I really like idea of restraining things a bit in order to see how it fares.

Dalakor
05-17-2013, 05:45 PM
Don't forget that while comparing Hero abilities to a card with a similar effect, you have to factor in that you can use the ability any time, you don't need the card in your hand. Plus you don't need additional copies to repeat the effect.
I would agree in general, but since we're talking about these 5 particular heroes this is almost a non-issue. It's 6 AP per ability, using ANY of those abilities 2 times in a row in mid-game will get you killed if the board position is uncertain due to the lack of actions. To use any of those abilities you already need to be ahead, none of those actually helps you get ahead; they're great if you're already ahead and help you secure an even greater lead, but if you're behind/neutral none of them help you in any way because they're replicating cheaper cards that you'd already have in your deck if you wanted the effects (due to the cost). Compare any of those with siegfried's "hey look my 1 costs don't die to a firebolt", kelthors "hey i can reuse this nuke over and over if i'm smart", ishuma's 0 mana 2 damage conditional nuke etc.

For example, an effect that lets you get a creature from your graveyard each turn is a dangerous potential for combo if its repeatable in a control deck.
I'm curious here, are we speaking of the "endless fog effect" control (which in all honesty i hope you addressed this expansion)? In any other case it's not dangerous at all, because that's all your doing that turn. For 6 AP i can reclaim and play a 4-5 cost creature, reusability is a wash if i forfeit the game while" mid-combo". To bring back a banshee i need a whooping 12 AP, to bring back atropos i need 11 and if i don't have that i need to settle for "2 turn reuse" which is a huge huge cost. 1 turn with bad board position in turn 6 can mean death from any of the aggro decks. There are very few other creatures that are worth bringing back in hand for 6 mana mid and early late.

On the other hand i agree with you: in the current meta, the one where i can stall for 20 turns if i want to, it is dangerous (but it's not the ability that's at fault ;) )

We decided to leave those Heroes as is because some of them were interesting with their combination of Schools.We preferred to put the emphasis on that new thing first and then see how a high cost ability fares.
Oh. So you're basically giving them mostly worthless abilities because the school combos are quite potent. I can see where you're coming from and seems reasonable but i can't help but notice that you could have spent the dev time on anything else and left them ability-less (you'll market these new heroes the same even if they have 6 ap abilities or not :p)

Frozen-Drake
05-17-2013, 05:46 PM
They all have very good schools. So they will make good control decks

that's what i fear

xVeRox
05-17-2013, 05:59 PM
But think, these neutral monsters will be cheaper on Crag Hack, so this monster for 1 will be for 0, yay :D

svilleneuve
05-17-2013, 06:27 PM
I would agree in general, but since we're talking about these 5 particular heroes this is almost a non-issue. It's 6 AP per ability, using ANY of those abilities 2 times in a row in mid-game will get you killed if the board position is uncertain due to the lack of actions. To use any of those abilities you already need to be ahead, none of those actually helps you get ahead; they're great if you're already ahead and help you secure an even greater lead, but if you're behind/neutral none of them help you in any way because they're replicating cheaper cards that you'd already have in your deck if you wanted the effects (due to the cost). Compare any of those with siegfried's "hey look my 1 costs don't die to a firebolt", kelthors "hey i can reuse this nuke over and over if i'm smart", ishuma's 0 mana 2 damage conditional nuke etc.

I'm curious here, are we speaking of the "endless fog effect" control (which in all honesty i hope you addressed this expansion)? In any other case it's not dangerous at all, because that's all your doing that turn. For 6 AP i can reclaim and play a 4-5 cost creature, reusability is a wash if i forfeit the game while" mid-combo". To bring back a banshee i need a whooping 12 AP, to bring back atropos i need 11 and if i don't have that i need to settle for "2 turn reuse" which is a huge huge cost. 1 turn with bad board position in turn 6 can mean death from any of the aggro decks. There are very few other creatures that are worth bringing back in hand for 6 mana mid and early late.

On the other hand i agree with you: in the current meta, the one where i can stall for 20 turns if i want to, it is dangerous (but it's not the ability that's at fault ;) )

Oh. So you're basically giving them mostly worthless abilities because the school combos are quite potent. I can see where you're coming from and seems reasonable but i can't help but notice that you could have spent the dev time on anything else and left them ability-less (you'll market these new heroes the same even if they have 6 ap abilities or not :p)

I didn't say that those abilities were worthless though :) They have their use and I'm fairly confident that they'll see play. Now if we're talking about competitive play, that's another story.

Also consider that a repeatable effect, with the right cards can create a lockdown that could could kill the meta. In early design, we had such an issue and we fixed it, but we saw it fast because it was obvious.

It's nice to have this kind of discussions with the players :D

s1m0n17
05-17-2013, 06:31 PM
i find that the description of 3 hero's skill are different.siegfried,keiran and akane

CytherSlash
05-17-2013, 06:44 PM
the hero abilitys are not there to spam guys. They are just Finisher.

Mikesak1983
05-17-2013, 07:03 PM
Do you think that new faction will be including in this expansion?

r3tsa
05-17-2013, 07:16 PM
the hero abilitys are not there to spam guys. They are just Finisher.

Yeah I perceive them myself as finishers also.

Ursburs
05-17-2013, 07:18 PM
There wasn't any new faction symbol in the movie. It looks like this expansion will be giant power creeping and "must have" category.

Dalakor
05-17-2013, 07:49 PM
Yeah I perceive them myself as finishers also.
All those 2 AP value finshers that cost 6 AP :))) . Unless you were talking about the stronghold one of course :)

I didn't say that those abilities were worthless though They have their use and I'm fairly confident that they'll see play. Now if we're talking about competitive play, that's another story. [...] It's nice to have this kind of discussions with the players
Yeah i understand, we're on the same page :), and yeah it is indeed nice you're doing it :p.

renders7
05-17-2013, 08:14 PM
Aza if you moved my thread here why did you made this thread after I just made on like this already?

AlexMC1978
05-17-2013, 08:32 PM
I think a new faction is necessary and if ultimately not included, this expansion will remain incomplete.

I have been collecting seals in order to buy several boxes and to prepare a deck with minotaurs, beholders, dark elves ... The truth is that is left very disappointed if only new dudes are incorporated to the existing factions

svilleneuve
05-17-2013, 08:58 PM
All those 2 AP value finshers that cost 6 AP :))) . Unless you were talking about the stronghold one of course :)

In a way Noboru's ability is a finisher. It doesn't matter how much it costs if you win the game and Outmaneuvering whenever you want might help you get that vistory. Of course, doing his ability without winning is a huge gamble. But with Light and Dark as his School, you could build some really funky decks and rarely use his ability. I assure you one thing though, you're going to win games with that ability, because people tend to forget about it or they just can't protect themselves from it.

Alia though, that ability can't be a finisher... but Fire and Light... that's just excessively good.

Elementalist.
05-17-2013, 10:44 PM
I'm more concerned about the necro raising special. I can see many potential abuses with it.

r3tsa
05-17-2013, 11:15 PM
That was always the case if necro got to live long enough, now you just can't hope for opponents not having proper cards on his hand.

DragoAskani
05-18-2013, 04:50 AM
Aza if you moved my thread here why did you made this thread after I just made on like this already?

Don't be dense, the obvious answer is that this is the Official announcement thread. You just happened to create your own thread before they came and made theirs.

Oblit3rate
05-18-2013, 09:42 AM
After watching the video, i think the following heroes have their ability changed:

* Siegfried
* Kieran
* Mother Namtaru
* Arianna
* Akane

Will shake the meta a bit, always good.

Acros12
05-18-2013, 11:36 AM
Alia - Martyr + Armagedon :D
Zardoc -best for OTK , celestial armors + stone shields

SarethITA
05-18-2013, 12:36 PM
5 Heroes only 4 schools of magic? a lot strange....

Frozen-Drake
05-18-2013, 01:13 PM
5 Heroes only 4 schools of magic? a lot strange....

this is the 'light-based expansion', void rising was 'primal-based expansion'

i don't know how much these heroes will get used beside control-based decks btw, they seem to exist just to give sense on particular spell schools combos (good combos but they seem forced)
i rlly don't get the sanctuary hero btw, light + dark seems terrible (but again new cards can make it work), and i rlly don't get his ability at all, 6 resources for outmaneuvre is kinda too expensive

mby the costs are high on purpose and just need to be tweaked by time, better an UP hero that is gonna be buffed slightly than the opposite

renders7
05-18-2013, 01:20 PM
Don't be dense, the obvious answer is that this is the Official announcement thread. You just happened to create your own thread before they came and made theirs.

official?rofl
i don't see the point in them making this thread if i already made one about it before them

Hantziie
05-18-2013, 09:39 PM
official?rofl
i don't see the point in them making this thread if i already made one about it before them

Why are you so worried? Isn't the same thing?

DragoAskani
05-19-2013, 05:47 AM
official?rofl

There doesnt have to be a point. Yours wasn't the official one created by the ubisoft appointed staff member. See your signature and compare it with this statement.

Elementalist.
05-19-2013, 11:41 AM
Let's face it, announcements carry a lot more weight when posted by a dev. Think nothing of it, it's just the way things work.

SpaceElephant
05-22-2013, 09:39 PM
I thought there would be at least one comment about my suave deep FM Radio voice...

:P

r3tsa
05-22-2013, 10:06 PM
Sry SpaceE, Aza took all the glory for himself already. ^^

Elementalist.
05-22-2013, 10:13 PM
That was very nicely presented admitedly. Nice and clear.