PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed an Prince of Persia?

AvK KiNgKoBrA
05-16-2013, 05:07 PM
This may have been posted before or not but here's my point.

One thing that I've always had a problem with or seemed gimmicky to me is the supposed 'Free-Running'. If u think about it its not really free-running, ur jus climbing up a building an shimming across ledges. Even the 'Free-Running' sequences during missions are really scripted to the point where it even shows u where to go an how to get there. Even during the Lairs or Tombs it shows u wat to do. There isnt a feeling of 'how do ii get there or Will this work'. The puzzles are pretty simple too. Not sure bout AC1 but all other titles since then have been like this.

So my solution is this, wat is they made an AC with Prince of Persia mechanics? In PoP there is actual Free-Running an the scenes are so scripted that it bascilly walks u thru it(i.e. AC). This way our Assassins would be able to pull off some major moves such as the wallrun! An the 'Free-Running would be an feel alot more fluid an not as annoying as it has been in past AC games, AC3 made some great improvments but more could be done.

So thoughts? Could this work? Would it even matter?

AjinkyaParuleka
05-16-2013, 05:11 PM
The wall run thingie were you can climb infinitely...?No thanks it seems....unrealistic.

lothario-da-be
05-16-2013, 05:15 PM
The wall run thingie were you can climb infinitely...?No thanks it seems....unrealistic.
This, POP isn't realsitic enough.

Farlander1991
05-16-2013, 05:27 PM
I once addressed why I don't think this is going to work, I'll just link to that post. (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/753473-One-Button-Freerunning?p=8930184&viewfull=1#post8930184) (I also suggest to read a few of posts by me and other forummers after that one :) )

Sushiglutton
05-16-2013, 05:44 PM
I once addressed why I don't think this is going to work, I'll just link to that post. (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/753473-One-Button-Freerunning?p=8930184&viewfull=1#post8930184) (I also suggest to read a few of posts by me and other forummers after that one :) )

Thank god you posted that link before I made my long "why the freerunning in AC isn't interactive enough to be fun in dedicated missions"-speech ;). I really need to take a break from this forum as I start to repeat myself more and more lol.

Spider_Sith9
05-16-2013, 06:04 PM
You realize AC is a spiritual successor to PoP right?

GreySkellig
05-16-2013, 06:10 PM
You realize AC is a spiritual successor to PoP right?

Eh...sort of. In the sense that it's a freerunning Ubisoft game. But there is way more going on with AC that makes it unique.

pacmanate
05-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Wait.. you are saying wall running horizontally isn't possible? I would like more PoP sequences for every tomb, I hate that it shows me where to go, wheres the fun?

Locopells
05-16-2013, 06:55 PM
Eh...sort of. In the sense that it's a freerunning Ubisoft game. But there is way more going on with AC that makes it unique.

What he means is that it started life as a PoP spin-off...

Spider_Sith9
05-16-2013, 07:16 PM
What he means is that it started life as a PoP spin-off...

And started out in the middle-east. You had Deserts, Swords, Parkour. It started getting more and more Sci-Fi/Historical and Gumpy though.

Farlander1991
05-17-2013, 11:36 AM
It has always baffled me why AC is widely considered to be PoP's spiritual successor.

Maybe it's because I view spiritual successors mechanically. I.e., BioShock is System Shock's spiritual successor, Bayonetta is a DMC spiritual successor (I think they shared the same designers too), etc.

But Assassin's Creed, even though started out as a PoP spin-off, is TOO different mechanically to be considered a spiritual successor, in my opinion. Watch Dogs is more of an AC spiritual successor than AC is of PoP.

But maybe that's just me :D

montagemik
05-17-2013, 01:42 PM
It has always baffled me why AC is widely considered to be PoP's spiritual successor.

Maybe it's because I view spiritual successors mechanically. I.e., BioShock is System Shock's spiritual successor, Bayonetta is a DMC spiritual successor (I think they shared the same designers too), etc.

But Assassin's Creed, even though started out as a PoP spin-off, is TOO different mechanically to be considered a spiritual successor, in my opinion. Watch Dogs is more of an AC spiritual successor than AC is of PoP.

I Haven't seen enough unique features in the AC series yet to convince me that AC ISN'T the successor of Tenchu : stealth assassins series ...................many many gameplay elements & features throughout AC series are identical to features / mechanics & plot elements from Tenchu .
( yet AC avoids Japan with a vengeance - trying to distance itself. )

pacmanate
05-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Really? Cause stealth really isn't a thing for AC anymore...

Gi1t
05-17-2013, 03:34 PM

It's because of how it started, not what it became. It's true that other games have probably inherited a lot more from Prince of Persia than AC did. (Darksiders 2 for example), but AC has a historical connection with the series since it started out as a Prince of Persia project and was worked on by many developers who worked on Sands of Time.

Personally, I'd rather they just got off their lazy ***** and made an actual Prince of Persia game...
but that sentiment has been echoed for years now... -__-

Farlander1991
05-17-2013, 04:02 PM
It's because of how it started, not what it became.

So? Devil May Cry started out as Resident Evil 4 and was worked on by people who worked on RE series before that (including the lead designer), nobody calls DMC the spiritual successor to Resident Evil.

Sushiglutton
05-17-2013, 05:13 PM
AC is based around freerunning, acrobatic movements, stylish combat and has a middle eastern setting similar to Persia (to me as a western at least). Makes a lot of sense to call it a spiritual successor imo. There is nothing negative about that. I mean it's not like AC just stole PoP without siginficant additions. If after playing AC for the first time someone told me the ones who made it also made PoP I wouldn't have been suprised the slightest. On the contrary it would have made perfect sense.

Farlander1991
05-17-2013, 06:13 PM
I'm not saying it's a negative thing, but it still baffles me. (Though I seem to be the odd one here :D )

It's just, if we take the mechanics and settings in a more generalized way, then a whole bunch of games can be labelled as spiritual successors even when they're not.

Sure, both PoP and AC have freerunning/acrobatics. Only in PoP freerunning is about navigating through a set of challenges and traps, in AC it's about effective pathfinding. While both games have stylish combat, the combat in PoP is about fast-paced agressive attacks, dodging and crowd-control (I can't find a better term than that, but I have in mind this thing about stunning enemies or bringing them down and taking sand before they get up), while the combat in AC (and I mean the first AC here) is about being methodic (even with simple attacks you still have to click at the correct time to initiate a combo) and using correct moves in a correct situation (and I'll just pretend here that counter-attack doesn't break the whole system here :D ). To me, those are widely different concepts.

And I don't feel that 'the same team worked on it' and 'originated as a PoP' game argument is entirely valid, because RE4/DMC example is not the only case of stuff like this happening (project starting out as one thing, turning out something different... and it happened to games that take place in the same world too, and still people would not be calling them spiritual successors), and yet with PoP/AC it's a thing. The point of a spiritual successor, in my opinion, is if you liked the game A (the original) then you will like the game B (the successor). But people who like PoP won't necessarily like AC.

But, heck, the matter of definition of a spiritual successor is not that important, so I think I'll stop talking about it now :D

TinyTemplar
05-17-2013, 06:35 PM
Am I really the only one who chose the third option?? I feel embarrassed.

Actually I don't care, I love Prince of Persia and want him come back. And Elika, especially. Btw, I don't feel that AC is too scripted. Nothing is more scripted than PoP.

pacmanate
05-17-2013, 06:56 PM
Am I really the only one who chose the third option?? I feel embarrassed.

Actually I don't care, I love Prince of Persia and want him come back. And Elika, especially. Btw, I don't feel that AC is too scripted. Nothing is more scripted than PoP.

Eh, PoP trilogy was the best. The reboot was good, but it lacked in combat variety a lot, something the PoP trilogy excelled in.

TinyTemplar
05-17-2013, 07:05 PM
Eh, PoP trilogy was the best. The reboot was good, but it lacked in combat variety a lot, something the PoP trilogy excelled in.

Nevertheless, I liked an idea of a smart partner like Elika (and even Farah was good in SoT) and I wish they developed it.

Gi1t
05-18-2013, 01:56 AM
So? Devil May Cry started out as Resident Evil 4 and was worked on by people who worked on RE series before that (including the lead designer), nobody calls DMC the spiritual successor to Resident Evil.

Not every situation is the same. AC and PoP are certainly more similar to one another than DMC and RE ended up being. (I'd be surprised if you said they weren't.) But it seems like a rather insignificant thing either way; many games can be accurately described as spiritual siblings or progeny for various reasons.

Which is exactly why I really hate them for abandoning it. They barely scratched the surface of what they could easily have done wuth the first one and then they act like 'oh, the idea itself didn't work' and they just quit right in the middle of the story (actually the beginning more like). That's bull**** the success the game did have was almost entirely DUE to its story and concept. It would have been spectacular if they had actually made the effort to continue development of the gameplay from the base elements they started with.

BATISTABUS
05-18-2013, 07:11 AM
I feel plenty liberated with AC's free-running system, thank you.

AvK KiNgKoBrA
05-19-2013, 07:29 PM
My point was that the frre-running in AC was kinda boring an repitive, an wit PoP's free-runnng would make it alot more fun. I do agree wit the whole spritual succesor thing tho, my best example would be Minecraft an Terraria.....same game jus different things to do. Thats the same way ii feel bout AC an PoP

Ureh
05-19-2013, 07:54 PM
I don't like the "autopilot" feeling to ACR either (just sprint and it almost seems like the game is playing itself) - haven't played AC3 yet but I have this foreboding feeling that it's even more autopilot oriented. But PoP wallrunning doesn't feel like it belongs in an AC game.

Bashilir
05-19-2013, 08:15 PM
I don't like the "autopilot" feeling to ACR either (just sprint and it almost seems like the game is playing itself) - haven't played AC3 yet but I have this foreboding feeling that it's even more autopilot oriented. But PoP wallrunning doesn't feel like it belongs in an AC game.

The sad fact is that, you're right. The climbing animations are 10x better but, you don't even have to use the high profile button to increase climbing speed anymore. You can get on a wall, push up on the analog stick and you're climbing fast.