PDA

View Full Version : New Ability: Swift!

Aza404
05-16-2013, 03:05 PM
The key to combat is survival, and the key to survival is the ability to evade those who might defeat you.

http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/MM-DOC/Griffin_Spearman.jpg

Inspired by the spell, Lightning Speed, creatures with Swift are able to both move and attack each turn, and can do so in any order. The normal rules for moving and attacking still apply.

This opens the way for offensive strategies, like moving from a safe position to launch an attack against a creature in a different row, and defensive strategies, like chipping away at an enemy then staging a retreat.
Stacking some buffs on top of creatures with Swift can make for a deadly combination!

epicafricantoad
05-16-2013, 03:07 PM
Horses are griffins, griffins are horses lol!
cheers
Toad

trupiciel
05-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Uncommon? :o

Rysikoss
05-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Make haven stronger pls, it's unplayable atm

nutlamb
05-16-2013, 03:20 PM
http://thumbsnap.com/i/dC4X2WqD.jpg
LightingSpeed saying: "Hello, my OP brother."
Now Haven is way beyond the rules

h3at88
05-16-2013, 03:21 PM
this is definitely strong creature..no one doubt about it...haven more OP? :D

kirnon
05-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Have to say "Why is the Griffin mounted spearman on a horse? At best that would be a Hippogriff but it isn't even that so - WHY!!!!!????!!!!!

Is it wrong that this has upset me somewhat? I am not usually prone to Interweb rage.

Frozen-Drake
05-16-2013, 03:31 PM
wow, imo most cost-effective creature from new expansion showed till now, considering lightning speed alone costs 3

CytherSlash
05-16-2013, 03:31 PM
this Ability was 100% expected.
I Already play "Swiftness" Creatures offline :)
(with self Created Cards with my Friends)

E: But how can a Rider have more Reteliation, than Attack?!

Tibnt
05-16-2013, 03:49 PM
100% overpowered :(

Hantziie
05-16-2013, 03:53 PM
meh... i don't know if it worth. But haven already have good cards. So i don't expect more good cards for haven.

NorsemanXXI
05-16-2013, 04:09 PM
I don't get the drama on this comments. T4 creatures are not very used in Haven decks.

Wolf Praetorian and Warrior Seraph have a residual use but we don't usually see them in high end decks.

Wolf Praetorian will probably get in disuse because of this card.

PS: Griffin probably is just the Order like Imperial from the base set and Wolf from Void Rising.... he is not meant to actually ride a griffin -.-

Quarison
05-16-2013, 04:38 PM
really good ability. I like it.

MamuzShah
05-16-2013, 06:17 PM
Is it an horse or a joke ? :)

Anyway, except for the atmosphere of the game, this card has good statistics. Swift is powerful.

Dalakor
05-16-2013, 06:23 PM
Maybe it's just me but the synergy between everything on that card seems really lacking:
1. It has 2 attack at 4 mana while a big part of that ability has offensive use. Sure 6 HP/3 retal is ok for a "tank" but with no regen he's not going to have many chances at using swift for defensive purposes
2. It's melee => only 4 available spots, but between all the Melee/Ranged Guards, tithe collector, sun rider, WC, DA, Pao you'll be hard pressed to actually use him properly since you won't have spots to move him around. If he was flying he would have had a lot more potential.

Swift in itself seems to be pretty cool as an ability not sure if it's worth it cost wise though: 1 extra retal is usually a wash so(from comparing it to griffin) you're basically getting swift=Charge+Immune to retal. You can probably do some buffing shenanigans with it and gain a greater value than you could with charge in this meta, but again, if this will be a melee only ability it looks like it'll be pretty weak.

It also feels inferior to the ranged equivalent, attack anywhere.

Uraxor
05-16-2013, 06:29 PM
Maybe it's just me but the synergy between everything on that card seems really lacking:
1. It has 2 attack at 4 mana while a big part of that ability has offensive use. Sure 6 HP/3 retal is ok for a "tank" but with no regen he's not going to have many chances at using swift for defensive purposes
2. It's melee => only 4 available spots, but between all the Melee/Ranged Guards, tithe collector, sun rider, WC, DA, Pao you'll be hard pressed to actually use him properly since you won't have spots to move him around. If he was flying he would have had a lot more potential.

Swift in itself seems to be pretty cool as an ability not sure if it's worth it cost wise though: 1 extra retal is usually a wash so(from comparing it to griffin) you're basically getting swift=Charge+Immune to retal. You can probably do some buffing shenanigans with it and gain a greater value than you could with charge in this meta, but again, if this will be a melee only ability it looks like it'll be pretty weak.

It also feels inferior to the ranged equivalent, attack anywhere.

Think I agree with this the most from all the remarks in here so far :D

Maybe the *true* Haven will finally see play - lots of healing and tanking, 5 might with Eleonore and Guards?
Especially if late game becomes viable by some miracle.

Devoted Sisters and their bigger version should be good with this, eh?
+ Ward Against Darness..

think I like this card the most so far...

Dalakor
05-16-2013, 07:01 PM
The way i see it, if you use swift creatures you're probably going to be running mostly backliners and flyers (which isn't that big of a problem for haven). Problem is that with a half empty front and backline spots used by 1-2 healers you're really short on spots for actual damage creatures so i can't see how that would be viable. Imo for this style of play to actually work you'd need higher tier guards (holy praetorian is ok-ish, but 4 hp is still too low for turn 4+) and some kind of "magic damage" guard.

Also now that i think of it swift is as anti-heaven mechanics as it gets: most of their abilities encourage you to get into a formation (healers, guards) and melee swift works against that :(

hydramarin
05-16-2013, 07:14 PM
Maybe another faction will get that ability, too. (yes it is me, having account troubles :D)

Kwasowy
05-16-2013, 07:23 PM
ye this 2dmg is very op.... stop complaining about something if you dont have a clue about game/cards.

Yazmiel
05-16-2013, 07:25 PM
Have to say "Why is the Griffin mounted spearman on a horse? At best that would be a Hippogriff but it isn't even that so - WHY!!!!!????!!!!!

Is it wrong that this has upset me somewhat? I am not usually prone to Interweb rage.

Griffin refers to the Haven (human) duchy where the unit originates from, as in "Mounted spearman from Griffin duchy", in a similar way that Wolf captain is from Wolf duchy.

Hope it lessens the rage a bit :)

kirnon
05-16-2013, 08:20 PM
Griffin refers to the Haven (human) duchy where the unit originates from, as in "Mounted spearman from Griffin duchy", in a similar way that Wolf captain is from Wolf duchy.

Hope it lessens the rage a bit :)

Yes, yes it does. Many thanks.

Harmbringer
05-16-2013, 08:24 PM
ye this 2dmg is very op.... stop complaining about something if you dont have a clue about game/cards.

Haen isnīt known for spells like bless...
stop complaining abo...

Shadowelf32
05-16-2013, 08:34 PM
Love it...i guess it has a rare/epic cousin somewhere in the set ?

Ursburs
05-16-2013, 09:46 PM

"Isabel Greyhound is the main protagonist of Heroes of Might and Magic V, the former Queen of the Holy Griffin Empire who succeeded her husband, King Nicolai Griffin (after he was mortally wounded by the Demon Lord Agrael). Marked at birth to act as a pawn in Kha-Beleth's schemes, she is also the mother of the Dark Messiah, Sareth. "
http://mightandmagic.wikia.com/wiki/Isabel
:p

r3tsa
05-17-2013, 12:00 AM
Yeah swift ability was expected, card seems okish, I need to see more Haven cards before deciding if I really want to play them. xD

Blastofek
05-17-2013, 12:33 AM
Well:
+ 6HP,
+ 3Retaliate,
+ Swift,

- 2 DMG,
- no Retaliaton,
- no Charge for a SPEARMAN ON A GRIFFIN (real?),

For me going 4Might is lame thing in Heaven atm.
IMO bad card. Next please.

unprepared4u
05-17-2013, 12:44 AM
Those beanz r kool.

Psychobabble.au
05-17-2013, 01:26 AM
spoiler season is so funny. You can almost guarantee that most cards spoiled will have someone saying "omg broken" and someone else saying "it sux". My guess is that this is neither, it has some advantages and some disadvantages relative to other options and will take the right synergestic deck to make it work. My guess is that the fact that the haven melee line (esp seigfried) tends to get pretty full will work against this pretty severely as its value is entirely dependent on it having a good position to move to. My guess is that this will work better in a spell-based deck, maybe a sort of slower kieran, but faster kierans are probably better than slower kierans so it's going to have a hard time earning its spot.

heiames1
05-17-2013, 02:16 AM
It's a lazy design feature.http://gawab.anvtech.com/4.jpg

Psychobabble.au
05-17-2013, 02:29 AM

why do you say that? this comment makes no sense. The battlefield and positioning is one of the central elements of this game, it would be remis of the designers to not explore such an interesting design space further.

DarkAutist666
05-17-2013, 06:36 AM
Kappa+Lighting speed for 4 mana? Seems like pretty balanced. Mb with this card heaven will be competitive finally.

DragoAskani
05-17-2013, 07:43 AM
Mb with this card heaven will be competitive finally.
hahahahahahahahahaha Kieran Time cop said to say Hi!

Frozen-Drake
05-17-2013, 11:09 AM
Kappa+Lighting speed for 4 mana? Seems like pretty balanced. Mb with this card heaven will be competitive finally.

http://forgifs.com/gallery/d/129150-3/Tom-Cruise-crazy-laugh.gif

Thanisse
05-17-2013, 07:50 PM

I like the card , not sure if it's properly balanced , then again the spell was very underwhelming to begin with :) .

I like the keyword , but maybe less stats would be great , especially HP since siegfried and the + atk spells :P

sickq2
05-17-2013, 09:24 PM
this is 2/3/6 uncommon
im afraid like a rare/epic version would looks like
u could make it 2/2/5 EPIC and still every single haven deck with 4 power would love to have 4 of them like wolf captains
i think u should be very careful with stats and swift in general

r3tsa
05-17-2013, 11:22 PM
How people forget about retaliation damage. xD It's fine as uncommon. in a sense haven was lacking such unit.

Dalakor
05-18-2013, 08:46 AM
Another 4 AP 2 attack creature is not what the haven lineup needs. He's a defensive unit in a faction filled to the brim with defensive units; i'd take the 4 AP griffin or the angel almost any day over this.

Also people are forgetting retaliation damage because it's not 4, and thus is of really low value compared to the standard 2 of the others: it does the same thing vs incorporeals, most creatures you'll be retaliating have either 2 either 4 hp.

r3tsa
05-18-2013, 09:31 PM
Now imagine that's the best 4 drop for 4/4 Kieran and Spellfried. Also pretty interesting with new hero.

Dalakor
05-19-2013, 12:28 AM
Where do you expect to stick a melee 4 drop in any of those decks? You have at least 20 other creatures until t4 (WC, DA, PAO, Sunrider, tithe collector). If you want to remove sunrider you'll actually lose attack power.

It might work better with the new haven hero indeed, because she's basically a control hero and control decks run few creatures so he'd have room to move; couple that with inner fire and bless you might have something, though i don't know, angel still seems more juicy due to the higher attack (and they both die to lightning anyway)

r3tsa
05-19-2013, 01:19 PM
Ugh, Kieran with DAs is a bad Kieran, and 4/4 Kieran(did you read that part?) runs at least one 4 drop I would rather play Mounted Spearman over any other 4 cost Haven creature in that particular deck.

hydramarine
05-20-2013, 12:02 PM
I would like to see a weaker stat version of this card (1/2/6) with Jousting ability in Haven (in epic rarity). With Jousting, It gets up to +3 attack for each row it moves before attacking until end of your turn (3 row moved = +3 attack, 1 row moved = +1 attack. Doesnt affect retaliation). Cost can stay at 4 resource.

So, in theory it can become 4 attack by going from corner to corner each turn (while your Wolf Captains sit in the middle 2 row). A little bit power creep of course, but new win conditions never hurt as long as they are balanced with other cards.

I think Jousting should be in the game in some way or the other. It is very ..... HOMAMy.

Quarison
05-20-2013, 12:17 PM
I would like to see a weaker stat version of this card (1/2/6) with Jousting ability in Haven (in epic rarity). With Jousting, It gets up to +3 attack for each row it moves before attacking until end of your turn (3 row moved = +3 attack, 1 row moved = +1 attack. Doesnt affect retaliation). Cost can stay at 4 resource.

So, in theory it can become 4 attack by going from corner to corner each turn (while your Wolf Captains sit in the middle 2 row). A little bit power creep of course, but new win conditions never hurt as long as they are balanced with other cards.

I think Jousting should be in the game in some way or the other. It is very ..... HOMAMy.

make that creature 0/2/6 and rare, that ok for me :D