PDA

View Full Version : Just a quote / comment that i thought i would share with you...

stingray110
05-15-2013, 09:18 PM
"As long as empires generate wealth and riches... We will be there to bleed them dry"
'In my opinion, pretty much sums up Ubisoft's attitude towards the franchise and its fans' (Youtube quote)

Do you guys agree? Or do you think that Ubisoft will change over due course and change the way it operates with fans and therefore as a business?

pacmanate
05-15-2013, 09:20 PM
This is every companies motto... Not just Ubisofts. What about EA, Activision?

Assassin_M
05-15-2013, 09:22 PM
Uhh Business?? EVERY business?? even the beggars on the street?? everyone you make a transaction with??

these, as long as you have, they will take....it`s not just Ubisoft

SixKeys
05-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Just because everyone does it doesn't mean everyone should.

Assassin_M
05-15-2013, 09:32 PM
"What`s true and what IS, aren't always the same" -Achilles

it`s actually the opposite now....if everyone`s doing it, that`s quite an excuse for me or anyone else to do it...

Sushiglutton
05-15-2013, 09:39 PM
A bit overdramatic lol. I believe especially story and mission design would benefit from longer development cycles so they could put a bit more thought into them. Also some mechanics have been meh since day 1 (or 2) and need fixing.

SixKeys
05-15-2013, 09:40 PM
If everyone is just copying one another, there will never be true innovation. Instead of trying to be EA and doing what EA Is doing, Ubisoft should try to come up with a new business model that might become even more successful.

Sushiglutton
05-15-2013, 09:44 PM
If everyone is just copying one another, there will never be true innovation. Instead of trying to be EA and doing what EA Is doing, Ubisoft should try to come up with a new business model that might become even more successful.

Take two seems to have a great attitude. They let Sid Meier, Houser Brothers (GTA) and Ken Levine (Bioshock) more or less work on their games until they are done. Means many years of development but the quality is awesome.

AherasSTRG
05-15-2013, 09:44 PM
"For as long as the economic system allows profit greater than that of the antagonist from a certain aspect of the market, the bussiness should keep trying to harvest that profit"
Every bussiness does that. Bussinesses' and companies' primary goal is profit. There is no such thing as "passion for the fans" or "crowd loving company". The only thing we can argue about is the quality of the given product (or service) in conjuction with the money we pay for it.

Abeonis
05-15-2013, 10:26 PM
Sod the quotes. Does anybody know the voice actor yet?

GreySkellig
05-15-2013, 11:10 PM
I'm kinda sick of people expecting Ubisoft to behave like an indie studio. They're an enormous company. Yes, they rush some games. Yes, sometimes they keep their project heads on too short a leash. That's part of making the incredibly ambitious games they put out.

Sure, those games would benefit from a longer development cycle. But they can only afford to devote 7 studios and 1200 people to a project for so long when they're working on multiple AAA games a year. Maybe Take2's model is better--after all, they too have multiple AAA franchises, but it's still about half as many as Ubisoft.

I get frustrated with how they run the business, yes. But ultimately, they still put out excellent games, and I won't fault them for trying to make an extra buck. Greedy? Sure, but they're certainly no EA, and I won't join in with all those who act like Ubi is some kind of money vampire bleeding their wallets dry. If you don't think the game is worth it, put your money where your mouth is and walk away. Nobody forces you to buy a substandard product.

pineal_gland
05-15-2013, 11:57 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0l33vMDRA1qai6zio1_500.jpg

Bashilir
05-16-2013, 02:38 AM
I'm kinda sick of people expecting Ubisoft to behave like an indie studio. They're an enormous company. Yes, they rush some games. Yes, sometimes they keep their project heads on too short a leash. That's part of making the incredibly ambitious games they put out.

Sure, those games would benefit from a longer development cycle. But they can only afford to devote 7 studios and 1200 people to a project for so long when they're working on multiple AAA games a year. Maybe Take2's model is better--after all, they too have multiple AAA franchises, but it's still about half as many as Ubisoft.

I get frustrated with how they run the business, yes. But ultimately, they still put out excellent games, and I won't fault them for trying to make an extra buck. Greedy? Sure, but they're certainly no EA, and I won't join in with all those who act like Ubi is some kind of money vampire bleeding their wallets dry. If you don't think the game is worth it, put your money where your mouth is and walk away. Nobody forces you to buy a substandard product.

http://memecrunch.com/meme/2FTP/amen/image.png

tinrisky
05-16-2013, 02:53 AM

'Tis the way of the world. In time you'll turn.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-16-2013, 03:45 AM
Ubisoft is one of the few gaming companies I have respect for.
Ubi is one of the few companies that give us a full game with the option of dlc.
Others like Activision EA and THQ (RIP) give us partial game and force dlc for full experience.
Companies are there for profit, to meet a demand.
Im pleased with a yearly Assassins Creed (as this is everyones complaint)
Ubisoft makes quality games! No matter how frequent they are in the series! (Revelations was a little weak in comparison to the rest) but I'll give them $60 for an AC, a Fry Cry, a Rayman, and a Watch Dogs every time.

And there is nothing greedy about being a successful business.
Wealth and greed aren't the same thing.

Wealth - spin offs and frequent/additional content
Greed - lets sell them a disc for $60 and have them buy the actual game for $30..just. incase that disc is used.

It's like getting mad at a super market for having oranges every time you want one!

"That greedy *** store, always having oranges that I want to buy..tastes just as good as the orange i had last year..I hate consistency"

Gi1t
05-16-2013, 07:45 AM
Ubisoft is one of the few gaming companies I have respect for.
Ubi is one of the few companies that give us a full game with the option of dlc.
Others like Activision EA and THQ (RIP) give us partial game and force dlc for full experience.
Companies are there for profit, to meet a demand.
Im pleased with a yearly Assassins Creed (as this is everyones complaint)
Ubisoft makes quality games! No matter how frequent they are in the series! (Revelations was a little weak in comparison to the rest) but I'll give them $60 for an AC, a Fry Cry, a Rayman, and a Watch Dogs every time.

And there is nothing greedy about being a successful business.
Wealth and greed aren't the same thing.

Wealth - spin offs and frequent/additional content
Greed - lets sell them a disc for $60 and have them buy the actual game for $30..just. incase that disc is used.

It's like getting mad at a super market for having oranges every time you want one!

"That greedy *** store, always having oranges that I want to buy..tastes just as good as the orange i had last year..I hate consistency"

But they haven't been consistent. They've been getting steadily worse and passing it off as better, refusing to address problems or even acknowledge that they exist sometimes. Not to mention their relationships with fans and their own developers seem to be deteriorating as well, with them getting more and more distant and arrogant. Back in 2008 I had a lot of respect for them and since 2009, they seem to have been doing everything in their power to turn that opinion around. There are still people there working to make things better, but their influence seems to be diminishing.

Also, if everyone's doing something, you do one better. If you don't, someone else will and people will realize there are better things out there than what you're shoveling out. If that sounds appealing, then enjoy the dust...XD

GreySkellig
05-16-2013, 07:58 AM
Lot of grumpy gamers on this forum. I've gotta wonder why ya'll don't just wash your hands of Ubisoft if they're such a letdown/horrible to deal with.

SixKeys
05-16-2013, 11:39 AM
Lot of grumpy gamers on this forum. I've gotta wonder why ya'll don't just wash your hands of Ubisoft if they're such a letdown/horrible to deal with.

Oh believe me, I'm seriously considering it. Especially after the whole fiasco with Patrice Desilets.

montagemik
05-16-2013, 11:49 AM

If you have such respect for Ubisoft or AC - I've got to wonder why you only joined in MAY 2013 ...................... Their previous games not interest you enough ??

We're all here because we like AC Games ....................Doesn't mean we have to ignore the blunders / poor directions the Developers have steered this franchise towards as we followed the past 5 games in the last few years.

See how optimistic you remain after the next 5 games ........................ We are doing our best to remain optimistic - But ubisoft do make it harder than it should be .

Farlander1991
05-16-2013, 11:53 AM
If you have such respect for Ubisoft or AC - I've got to wonder why you only joined in MAY 2013 ...................... Their previous games not interest you enough ??

Even though it's not targeted to me... I have to point out, that's a very irrelevant question. I've joined the forums in 2010, but visited them one or two times at most before the end of 2012 when I became active here. Did I have any less interest or respect in UbiSoft and AC before that? No.

Date of registration doesn't mean a single thing.

montagemik
05-16-2013, 12:31 PM
Even though it's not targeted to me... I have to point out, that's a very irrelevant question. I've joined the forums in 2010, but visited them one or two times at most before the end of 2012 when I became active here. Did I have any less interest or respect in UbiSoft and AC before that? No.

Date of registration doesn't mean a single thing.

Date of registration wasn't my point - How long they've followed the franchise was .

How long we've actually followed & supported the series & how dis-illusioned we've become with certain aspects is very relevant .
If i'd picked up the series at christmas 2012 with AC3 & then a bunch of discounted / pre-owned previous titles ................I'm sure my views on the franchise would be a lot more forgiving.

Now i don't regret a single launchday purchase - But long term fans have overall invested more so feel they've been let down more throughout the series over the years .

Farlander1991
05-16-2013, 01:39 PM
Date of registration wasn't my point - How long they've followed the franchise was .

Ok, now THAT makes sense :D

pacmanate
05-16-2013, 01:45 PM

How long we've actually followed & supported the series & how dis-illusioned we've become with certain aspects is very relevant .
If i'd picked up the series at christmas 2012 with AC3 & then a bunch of discounted / pre-owned previous titles ................I'm sure my views on the franchise would be a lot more forgiving.

Now i don't regret a single launchday purchase - But long term fans have overall invested more so feel they've been let down more throughout the series over the years .

And it shows in the user scores on Metacritic, a slow decline for every AC game, minus AC3, which is so low it might as well not exist.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-16-2013, 06:29 PM
But they haven't been consistent. They've been getting steadily worse and passing it off as better, refusing to address problems or even acknowledge that they exist sometimes. Not to mention their relationships with fans and their own developers seem to be deteriorating as well, with them getting more and more distant and arrogant.
Thats a matter of opinion.
In my eyes, they are getting better every year.

pacmanate
05-16-2013, 06:43 PM

Pretty much everything anyone says is their own opinion when it comes to games, same with reviews.

GreySkellig
05-16-2013, 06:47 PM

We're all here because we like AC Games ....................Doesn't mean we have to ignore the blunders / poor directions the Developers have steered this franchise towards as we followed the past 5 games in the last few years.

See how optimistic you remain after the next 5 games ........................ We are doing our best to remain optimistic - But ubisoft do make it harder than it should be .

I've been following the series since the beginning, and I've played all but AC1 (watched a friend play it, haven't gotten around to my own playthrough). Some pretty poor inductive reasoning to assume that because I just joined the forums now, I'm a series newcomer. So you can ditch the snark.

My point is this: like Studly, I have enjoyed all of the games, and I think that, while some aspects could be improved, the games have been getting better, not worse. That's just my opinion. But I've stuck with the series because I like all the games. Seems like a lot of folks don't, and it's surprising to me that they stick around when it obviously drives them up the wall to see the series they love going down the tubes. Somebody on this forum recently said AC1 was the only good game in the series. Period. I'm just saying if tI held that opinion, I'd have stopped buying the games/visiting the forums.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-16-2013, 06:51 PM
Pretty much everything anyone says is their own opinion when it comes to games, same with reviews.

Of course

montagemik
05-16-2013, 08:02 PM
I've been following the series since the beginning, and I've played all but AC1
(watched a friend play it, haven't gotten around to my own playthrough). Some pretty poor inductive reasoning to assume that because I just joined the forums now, I'm a series newcomer. So you can ditch the snark.

My point is this: like Studly, I have enjoyed all of the games, and I think that, while some aspects could be improved, the games have been getting better, not worse. That's just my opinion. But I've stuck with the series because I like all the games. Seems like a lot of folks don't, and it's surprising to me that they stick around when it obviously drives them up the wall to see the series they love going down the tubes. Somebody on this forum recently said AC1 was the only good game in the series. Period. I'm just saying if tI held that opinion, I'd have stopped buying the games/visiting the forums.

LOL Sorry , i think i'll keep my 'pretty poor Inductive' / deductive reasoning & the Snark :p .if that's all the same to you .
Not sure your definition of following the series from the beginning & my definition are the same thing ..............Obviously.

Followed since Beginning = You Played all games Except AC1 ............. watched a friend play AC 1 rather than played it personally in last 5 years.
Next paragraphs you again say You've '"enjoyed all games "' .................... Nahhh you've enjoyed some & watched parts of 1 ............

Like studly - You haven't experienced the full series since the beginning Launch Day- AC1 ................So your perception of the series decline may be different to players who have. (& Yes , call that my opinion if it helps )

So my original 'Wonder' still stands ..............I Wonder why a long term follower of the series with such respect for AC & Ubisoft only joins the official forum in 2013.
And has only completed 45% of AC3 - 21% AC-R since Nov 2012 & nothing installed for any other AC game .
(there's my poor deductive reasoning about long term fans & players again)

Gi1t
05-16-2013, 11:09 PM

Granted.

Nonetheless I'm still on the opposite side of that argument. To me it's becoming a more generic and content-heavy game and the company doesn't seem interested in doing anything but cranking them out. -__- I agree with Montagemik that the series seems to have wandered from what made it distinctive early on.

So my original 'Wonder' still stands ..............I Wonder why a long term follower of the series with such respect for AC & Ubisoft only joins the official forum in 2013.

Forum lurker. :) I read the pages on the PoP forum for a while before deciding I wanted to start posting myself. It's not that unusual.

GreySkellig
05-16-2013, 11:46 PM
LOL Sorry , i think i'll keep my 'pretty poor Inductive' / deductive reasoning & the Snark :p .if that's all the same to you .
Not sure your definition of following the series from the beginning & my definition are the same thing ..............Obviously.

Followed since Beginning = You Played all games Except AC1 ............. watched a friend play AC 1 rather than played it personally in last 5 years.
Next paragraphs you again say You've '"enjoyed all games "' .................... Nahhh you've enjoyed some & watched parts of 1 ............

Like studly - You haven't experienced the full series since the beginning Launch Day- AC1 ................So your perception of the series decline may be different to players who have. (& Yes , call that my opinion if it helps )

And has only completed 45% of AC3 - 21% AC-R since Nov 2012 & nothing installed for any other AC game .
(there's my poor deductive reasoning about long term fans & players again)

You're free to discount me and my opinion as you like. You have some of your details about me wrong, but I honestly don't care to correct you at this point.

montagemik
05-17-2013, 12:03 AM
You're free to discount me and my opinion as you like. You have some of your details about me wrong, but I honestly don't care to correct you at this point.

Really - which sequence are you up to in AC Revelations & AC3 ? , Please correct me .

GreySkellig
05-17-2013, 12:21 AM
I've finished both and am on my second attempt at a full completion playthrough of AC3. All the other games I played on my friend's Xbox.

montagemik
05-17-2013, 01:12 AM
I've finished both and am on my second attempt at a full completion playthrough of AC3. All the other games I played on my friend's Xbox.

So you began by stating you don't understand why people stick with the series if they don't like it ................
& Then say you've been ""following the series since the beginning"" & You "" stuck with the series because I like all the games.""

You're questioning reactions From genuine long term fans/supporters of the AC franchise - When the reality is ............... You've only owned (2 games) AC-R & AC-3 since Nov 2012.
You only watched a friend play AC1 on his X360
You only played a friends copy of AC-2 on his X360
You only played a friends copy of AC-Brotherhood on his X360

You're only up to DNA 8 on AC-Revelations (funny definition of completed 'both games')
And while now going for your 2nd attempt at 100% AC-3 playthrough ..........
You haven't managed your 1st 100% AC3 playthrough yet Perfectionist/Completionist or completed any Clubs sidequests / synced with Animus cloud . :confused:

Easy to take a casual view of the series or it's fans reactions - When you've personally invested so little througout the series.

GreySkellig
05-17-2013, 02:08 AM
Alright, let me go through carefully, so that when you tell me I'm "not a fan" one last time, you can at least be basing it on correct information.

First off, please note that my definition of "completion" here means completion of all story missions and all (significant) side missions, not the percentage ticker. That means finishing every story mission, and all side missions excluding busywork stuff like brawls/flags/feathers/other assorted trophies that do nothing but up your completion percentage or unlock an outfit. I'm a full time student with a job and social life on the side, I don't have time to scurry all over picking up bits and bobs that don't add anything substantial to my appreciation of the game. If you can balance your life better than I can, great.

By this definition of completion, which I fully expect you to reject, I have completed every game except AC1, which I watched through the end of the story. AC2 and ACB I played to completion on an the friend's xbox (I bought them), ACR and AC3 on my PS3. I have synced with the cloud, though it's true that I haven't completed club quests, because they don't add much for me. If it shows you something different when you (in something resembling overkill for a simple discussion) look up my PSN stats/uplay stats, I can't explain that.You don't have to take my word for it if you don't want to, and I expect you won't.

What I don't accept, however, is that somehow this makes my original comment out of line. I simply pointed out that, if I were in the position you and others are--and I didn't claim I was--I probably would have left the series. You could fairly say "Well, you're not in my position" or "That makes you less dedicated of a fan." Those are both perfectly true. But to argue that I am somehow not a "genuine long term fan/supporter of the AC franchise" is unfounded and unnecessary. I put more hours than I care to think about--over 40 on my first playthrough of AC3--into four games over a number of years. I went out and bought my PS3 when my friend graduated largely to be able to play this series.

I guess it's possible that doesn't satisfy your notion of a fan. If so...oh well. I guess I'll have to live with that.

By the way, to answer your curiosity about why I joined so recently: I had stayed out of the forums because they seemed crammed with aggressive chip-on-the-shoulder superfans. I figured I didn't need that stress, so I stayed on the sidelines. All the speculation over the upcoming game finally suckered me in this time around, but I'm discovering my intuition about forum nastiness was pretty spot-on. Congrats, you're such a loyal fan of the series that it's actually off-putting.

montagemik
05-17-2013, 04:16 AM
Alright, let me go through carefully, so that when you tell me I'm "not a fan" one last time, you can at least be basing it on correct information.

First off, please note that my definition of "completion" here means completion of all story missions

ACR and AC3 on my PS3. I have synced with the cloud, though it's true that I haven't completed club quests, because they don't add much for me. If it shows you something different when you (in something resembling overkill for a simple discussion) look up my PSN stats/uplay stats, I can't explain that.
You don't have to take my word for it if you don't want to, and I expect you won't............................................. .................................................. ...........................
.................................................. .................................................. ..............................................
By the way, to answer your curiosity about why I joined so recently: I had stayed out of the forums because they seemed crammed with aggressive chip-on-the-shoulder superfans.

# 1 .. When do i 'Say' you're ""Not a Fan"" in my posts ...............Care to quote me ?
# 2 My definition of completion includes 'All Story missions too' ...............ACR has 9 DNA story sequences though & 5 mandatory Desmond missions (you've not done these) . :confused:

http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz113/montagemik/ACRCOMPLETE.jpg

# 3 I Can't explain that either ....... ACR DNA 8 & 9 should display before any AC3 trophies . As you've completed all games including ACR .
You're Not synced to the Animus cloud with all pivots either. ..........Head in the Cloud trophy = not done.

Contact Sony - looks like your PS3 is syncing false information or it's faulty. All the info it states seems to be wrong.

GreySkellig
05-17-2013, 04:25 AM
Weird that it displays old information, but oh well. As mentioned, I don't really care about trophies/achievements, so I'm not going to bother contacting Sony over a detail of how my stats are displayed.

Assassin_M
05-17-2013, 04:29 AM
Grey, we remain here and criticize, because we love the series...if we kept thanking the lord for the blessing that is Ubisoft every friggin day, we wont get anywhere...we criticize to see improvements...we love the series..criticism is dynamism..op sorry, CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is dynamism..to ensure we get quality products..more than a few people were disappointed by the latest games and I believe it`s their right to voice concern and dissatisfaction...they are customers after all, but the difference here is that they`re also fans...

they want to LOVE the games

montagemik
05-17-2013, 04:32 AM
Weird that it displays old information, but oh well. As mentioned, I don't really care about trophies/achievements, so I'm not going to bother contacting Sony over a detail of how my stats are displayed.

Didn't think you would somehow . ;)

Though it could be a sign your HDD is failing to register data in some way .........Considering many unavoidable trophies earned on basic playthroughs of ACR & AC 3 Just aren't in your list - As if never completed . :confused:

GreySkellig
05-17-2013, 04:40 AM
It is a second-hand PS3, so that might be something worth looking into.

Now for all other skepticism, I'll refer you back to "You don't have to take my word for it if you don't want to and I expect you won't" and go back to watching Whose Line. If you figure I'd wade through this much BS over a game I haven't finished...that's your issue.

Also, I'm dying to know why your elipses are so long.

GreySkellig
05-17-2013, 04:48 AM
Grey, we remain here and criticize, because we love the series...if we kept thanking the lord for the blessing that is Ubisoft every friggin day, we wont get anywhere...we criticize to see improvements...we love the series..criticism is dynamism..op sorry, CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is dynamism..to ensure we get quality products..more than a few people were disappointed by the latest games and I believe it`s their right to voice concern and dissatisfaction...they are customers after all, but the difference here is that they`re also fans...

they want to LOVE the games

That makes sense. I would never try to argue that negative opinions shouldn't be expressed. My initial post was merely meant to say I personally wouldn't have that level of dedication. It's commendable, though. And thanks for treating this as a conversation, not a duel to the death.