PDA

View Full Version : Historian question for Developers

snowbro6
05-13-2013, 06:44 PM
This question is for the developers. I should first note that I have both my undergraduate degree in history and a masters degree in liberal arts. Both of which utilized colonial American piracy as the topic for my major thesis papers.

Why is it that you chose 1713, in other words, why so late in the 'Golden Age of Piracy'? Typically I've read that the 'Golden Age' lasted from about 1680 to 1720, give or take a few years on either end. Captain Kidd was shipped back to England in chains and met the gallows in 1701, and even Captain Morgan died in 1688. Sure there was the Treaty of Utrecht, but as I'm sure you know, pirates were pirates whether they had a piece of paper saying they were legally allowed to pillage or not. Also, in 1713 Blackbeard only had 5 years to live before a raid organized by Governor Spotswood finally killed Mr. Teach.

Basically what I'm asking is what factored into your decision to focus on the Treaty of Utrecht? Will Blackbeard be killed in 1718 in the game? Also, please tell me that Port Royal is not a major port city in this game, considering it was largely destroyed/submerged by an earthquake in 1692.

I know it might not seem like much, and I realize it's a game. But to a historian these large details mean everything, so please forgive my concerns.

SixKeys
05-13-2013, 06:48 PM
My guess is they chose this period because if they started in an earlier period, Edward would have been too old to become Haytham's father. They wanted to create the Kenway family saga to show how different Edward was from Haytham and Haytham from Connor.

ze_topazio
05-13-2013, 06:56 PM
Same reason AC2 takes place in the final days of the Renaissance, besides they wanted to use Connor's grandfather and have historical characters like Blackbeard, etc..., XVII pirates aren't as famous as the the ones from the final days of the golden age of piracy.

BATISTABUS
05-13-2013, 08:18 PM
Not only does this age have all these crazy characters, but it also gives them a chance to show the spectacular end of this era. Just my guess.

Rugterwyper32
05-13-2013, 08:23 PM
I also think it has to do with the usage of Nassau. By this point, unlike any other time before, Nassau was pirate paradise since it was abandoned by the British. Havana could have worked either way. And it'd have been Port Royal instead of Kingston, but maybe they could have run with issues handling the timeframe seeing how Port Royal was, by all means, obliterated.
And then there's all the characters from this point of the Golden Age of Piracy which are very much recognizable by many.

lothario-da-be
05-13-2013, 08:41 PM
I guess it mainly was because the most interesting targets were later in the golden age of piracy. And because of Edward being too old to be the father of Haytham then.