PDA

View Full Version : PC Version Questions: Quicksave? Always-Connected?

Flatfingers
05-11-2013, 07:05 AM
I like many of the things I've heard so far about Watch Dogs, starting with its initial development platform being PC (and PS4).

To see whether I should continue to be interested, I have a couple of questions about the PC version of this game, whose answers will help me make that decision.

1. Will players of the PC version of Watch Dogs be able to save their game when they want to (quicksave), rather than only being given checkpoint saves under someone else's control?

This matters for exploration gameplay. Being able to save freely supports exploration-oriented play by making it safer to try different ideas. Losing 30 minutes of progress by being sent back to a checkpoint save discourages exploration.

Watch Dogs is being described as being similar in some ways to open-world games. That's one of the reasons I'm interested in it. I hope the play experience this openness provides will be further supported by enabling quicksave in the PC version.

2. Will players be forced into an "always-connected" (to Ubisoft servers) mode?

Some of what's been said so far suggests this may be the case. The "massively single-player" feature of players being able to affect the game of other players is interesting, and it sounds like a clever addition to the kind of world that has been described for Watch Dogs. I'm glad to see Ubi trying new ideas like this.

However, it's very important to be able to disconnect. Any primarily single-player game should be fully playable offline. The inclusion of a nice-to-have-for-those-who-want-it but otherwise unnecessary "multiplayer" feature in a single-player game should absolutely not be used as an excuse to impose the always-connected leash that publishers want for obvious reasons. The real problem with the recent Sim City was not that there wasn't enough server bandwidth; it is that the game did not need and should never have been forced to include an always-connected-to-servers requirement.

Watch Dogs Creative Director Jonathan Morin has been quoted as saying about the sort-of-multiplayer component, "You can switch that off, you don't have to do it." So that's good... but does that mean that players will not be forced to be always-connected?

To sum up, as a potential customer for Ubisoft, I'm asking for clear yes/no responses to these two questions about the PC version of Watch Dogs:

1. Will it allow quicksave?

2. Will it require being always connected?

I certainly wouldn't object if details/explanations for the answers to those questions are also given. But ultimately it's an unequivocal "yes" or "no" that I'd appreciate being trusted to know.

Thanks!

dex3108
05-11-2013, 10:13 AM
I will try to answer those questions (based on many previews and inte. iews that I saw) until you get official answers.

1. I think that saving will be like Assassin's Creed save game system. Main missions will use checkpoint system, but free roam will be saved every time when you do something (find collectable, finished side mission etc.).

2., Game will be playable offline. One time uplay activation will be required. But there will be some content that will use online like gameplay feature. For example if you are playing in online mode you can leave messages for other players around city, track other players to gather info about them etc.If you have more questions be free to post them :D

Flatfingers
05-11-2013, 06:20 PM
Thanks, woodexx.

What you're thinking seems plausible. I'm hoping to see a response from an Official Ubi Person ;), but speculation on these questions is welcome!

--Bart

pacmanate
05-11-2013, 09:15 PM
"Everything is Connected"

dxsxhxcx
05-11-2013, 09:29 PM
"Everything is Connected"

the people who bought the new SimCity may disagree with you... lol

SoulAsylumFan
05-12-2013, 12:40 PM
I had already asked the same question a couple months back; you can see the official answer here:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/758317-quot-Everything-is-Connected-quot-Even-to-Ubisoft-Servers

VaasCARV3R
05-12-2013, 05:41 PM
Nothing personal all, but there are always some people that are half-blinded and don't know what the "Search" option is for...

That's all I can say here.

SoulAsylumFan
05-12-2013, 06:42 PM
I understand that but I mostly provided the link I did since I asked the same question.;)

pacmanate
05-12-2013, 07:05 PM
Nothing personal all, but there are always some people that are half-blinded and don't know what the "Search" option is for...

That's all I can say here.

Trust me, you go to the AC boards then come back here and start talking about the search function :P

Flatfingers
05-13-2013, 02:45 AM
For what it's worth to those who like to assume things instead of asking politely, I did search here before posting my questions.

I missed the answer on the "always-connected" question, though. Thanks for posting that link, SoulAsylumFan.

To the question about whether a proper quicksave feature will be part of the PC version of Watch Dogs, I don't think an official answer to that has been posted anywhere. If it has, then I'd appreciate any pointers to that.

If not, then I hope that information will be available before the game is released.

GuZZ33
05-13-2013, 08:47 AM
To the question about whether a proper quicksave feature will be part of the PC version of Watch Dogs, If not, then I hope that information will be available before the game is released.Wait for the reviews to come out, someone will inform us if the game will feature a quick save system. All Ubisoft PC games use the Uplay client (even if purchased on steam) and the Uplay client has an offline mode that you can switch to.

Mr_Shade
05-13-2013, 03:49 PM
indeed - remember though - that some of the gameplay shown - does hint at extra gameplay features being online.. ;)

So, while you should be able to enjoy the game offline - some gameplay features - maybe won't be available - such as ones concerning other players.. so you may miss out on some important features.

Details of any online features - are to be announced.

Re save games - I will see what I can find out.

Flatfingers
05-14-2013, 02:12 AM
Re save games - I will see what I can find out.

Very much appreciated.

Allidoizwin
05-16-2013, 03:43 PM
Sir. Can You help me for getting serial number for my Watch Dogs :)