PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else want Ubisoft to go way back in time for the next AC game?

pacmanate
05-09-2013, 05:03 PM
I am replaying AC1 and I now remember why I started to love this game.

1. The outfit, its nothing fancy, its just a white robe of sorts with a red belt thing and pouches.
2. The setting, how its set really far back in time.

Now I know these are only 2 points, I could talk about gameplay mechanics but I just want to focus on settings, reflecting on outfits.

As AC games have moved further into the future, my belief in Assassin's existing in the time period just decreases. For AC1, I thought it was very believable due to the time period and hassansins etc. Not to mention that the dull colour pallet and architecture in AC1 gives it a really gritty feel. Altairs outfit is also the most believable for me, as its not trying to be fancy like Ezio's and Connor's outfits.

In AC2 I loved the game a lot, however my belief of Assassin's existing in that time period was less than AC1. Maybe it was because everything was really vibrant and there were loads of colours unlike AC1....

In AC3, my belief of Assassin's existing then was just gone. The setting was too modern, the buildings were boring to climb as they were just like modern houses and Connors outfit stuck out so much that he was an Assassin. At least Ezio's AC2 outfit could be seen as a noble outfit... if he took all the swords off.

In my opinion, the further AC games go into the future the less believable they get. Sure the stories can be good and the combat can be great, but for me AC1 will always be the true Assassin's Creed game as the Time Period and Outfit make me feel like an Assassin. Personally, I hope that they go back to the last 1200's or at least have more buildings like AC1 that aren't modern house designs.

Does anyone else feel this way or is it just me?

lothario-da-be
05-09-2013, 05:06 PM
I feel just like you, i would love the roman empire, greece Egypt,inia, Babylon and China.I actualy want one before ac1 period. with A LOT of creed and rules, real assassin bases and without fancy gadgets.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-09-2013, 05:26 PM
I was hoping for america revolution - got it
I was hoping for pirates - got it.
All that is left on my list of wants are Civil/Pre Civil war - playing as an African Assassin that gets brought over on a slave ship...
and Biblical times.

I just pray we never see anything in japan, china or past 1885...

dxsxhxcx
05-09-2013, 05:30 PM
it's about time for them to come back in time, I would like to have a game in a time period between Altair's and Ezio's time, with a well estabilished Order still under the influence of the old ways (the military feeling it used to have when Al Mualim was the Mentor) but at the same time more relaxed due to the changes proposed by Altair, it would be nice to have a strong and independent Mentor like Al Mualim was again, I also miss the Bureaus..

silvermercy
05-09-2013, 05:30 PM
I feel just like you, i would love the roman empire, greece Egypt,inia, Babylon and China.I actualy want one before ac1 period. with A LOT of creed and rules, real assassin bases and without fancy gadgets.
Yes! Those would be my choices, too.

As much as I loved AC3, and it's still my fave, I will admit the location and buildings were not my most favorite. I was also expecting more Native American villages and bigger immersion into that culture.

lothario-da-be
05-09-2013, 05:38 PM
Yes! Those would be my choices, too.

As much as I loved AC3, and it's still my fave, I will admit the location and buildings were not my most favorite. I was also expecting more Native American villages and bigger immersion into that culture.
Me too, i expected Connor to have more contact with his people.

montagemik
05-09-2013, 05:45 PM
Nope , I'd prefer the series to progress Forward , moving closer to modern times . For the whole story & concept of AC to be believable they have to move to modern day eventually.

Nothing to say we can't go further back in time further down the series
( Rebuild the modern day Assassin order - Using the Animus to train new recruits )

& Sorry to upset the 'purists' But Japan or China's Westernisation has to be used as a time period & setting at some point ..............
It just seems Utter nonsense with the heritage/History & potential those locations hold , That Ubisoft opt for anything but those locations so far .

( Japan does not have to = Ninja mode , Our Ancestor wouldn't even have to be Japanese - just as Ezio wasn't Turkish.)

hoodrat94
05-09-2013, 05:58 PM
World war 2 assassin's creed would be nice! WW2 games are decreasing in number!

ze_topazio
05-09-2013, 06:04 PM
I'm replaying AC1 too, first time i'm replaying an Assassin's Creed game, something i decide to do after that "how many time have you replay the games" thread, since i had never replayed the game i was quite surprised when i realized i couldn't simply start a new game without erasing the previous save file, so i'm just replaying Altair missions since i don't want to erase my save file.

Sushiglutton
05-09-2013, 06:16 PM
I'm doing a no-HUD replay of AC1 atm (it's actually almost as cool as u guys said) and I realized how much I want to go back to middle ages again. The entire thing makes so much more sense in that setting imo. I would also LOVE Egypt. Do something completely different from the other games.

pacmanate
05-09-2013, 07:30 PM
I'm doing a no-HUD replay of AC1 atm (it's actually almost as cool as u guys said) and I realized how much I want to go back to middle ages again. The entire thing makes so much more sense in that setting imo. I would also LOVE Egypt. Do something completely different from the other games.

^ I am also doing a no HUD one and the rest of what you said is what spawned this thread

Assassin_M
05-09-2013, 07:32 PM
Seeing as AC IV went back, I don't see why future wouldn't go farther...

misterB2001
05-09-2013, 07:35 PM
some time before guns were invented would be lovely.

projectpat06
05-09-2013, 07:40 PM
I've been thinking about this for a while now as well. The next game can be a true PS4 and nextbox game to really refresh the series. Go back to the middle ages. The game could be much longer than the previous ones where you start off as an Assassin from Masayaf who goes to England to start a brotherhood there during the crusades. We learn of that guild's origins and later on play as a younger assassin born into that brotherhood and able to travel to cities all throughout Europe in the middle ages. As the assassin progresses, he learns new skills from other assassins he comes in contact with in various cities or out in the wilderness. Things would be like the use of the bow, climbing in trees, throwing knives, jousting?, etc

silvermercy
05-09-2013, 07:41 PM
some time before guns were invented would be lovely.
Even better... pre-historic AC! :D (well they did have spears and clubs I suppose...)

Sushiglutton
05-09-2013, 07:50 PM
Even better... pre-historic AC! :D (well they did have spears and clubs I suppose...)

We could start as the first cell. Then play as the first fish who crawled out of the ocean. Then play as a dinosaur. Then a caveman. Then we meet TWHCB. A real epic 2001-style opening.

pacmanate
05-09-2013, 07:55 PM

Good lord :|

A Next Gen PS4 game going back to middle ages or something would look amazing. I would also like the progression system back from AC1 and actually getting gear as you progress and not being unstoppable from the start.

Assassin_M
05-09-2013, 07:56 PM
We could start as the first cell. Then play as the first fish who crawled out of the ocean. Then play as a dinosaur. Then a caveman. Then we meet TWHCB. A real epic 2001-style opening.
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6356564736/h7A3D156A/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0i6YFrSs6c

watch and be amazed

Sushiglutton
05-09-2013, 08:01 PM
Haha fits perfectly with that music :D ^^. The eagle is the sworn enemy of the fish, didn't think of that.

Was thinking more of this though :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM6OIlreneA

Assassin_M
05-09-2013, 08:12 PM
^ crazy firggin bastard :|

That`s Charles Lee right there

Sushiglutton
05-09-2013, 08:24 PM
You mean the skeleton :confused:. This scene takes place fifty years after the events of AC3 when Connor, now a hermit, digs up Charles Lee for a final "discussion".

Assassin_M
05-09-2013, 08:26 PM
You mean the skeleton :confused:. This scene takes place fifty years after the events of AC3 when Connor, now a hermit, digs up Charles Lee for a final "discussion".
The discussion didn't go too well, but it makes for a magnificent opening; nonetheless..

silvermercy
05-09-2013, 08:37 PM
OMG that is genius!!!! *cries*

Prehistoric assassins *cries again* http://a.deviantart.net/avatars/w/o/wormhappy35plz.gif?1

(OP, you asked for it. ;p)
http://www.filmcritic.com/assets_c/2010/02/10,000-BC-thumb-560xauto-22974.jpg?AMCN

LoyalACFan
05-09-2013, 08:42 PM
I don't want it to go too far back, as I'm a huge fan of the fact that AC winds itself around real historical events. Go too far back, and there are no records. So no prehistoric AC for me.

That said, anything after (or concurrent with) the time of Darius would be great. Because you can't have AC without a hidden blade...

D.I.D.
05-10-2013, 02:55 AM
As AC games have moved further into the future, my belief in Assassin's existing in the time period just decreases. For AC1, I thought it was very believable due to the time period and hassansins etc. Not to mention that the dull colour pallet and architecture in AC1 gives it a really gritty feel. Altairs outfit is also the most believable for me, as its not trying to be fancy like Ezio's and Connor's outfits.

In AC2 I loved the game a lot, however my belief of Assassin's existing in that time period was less than AC1. Maybe it was because everything was really vibrant and there were loads of colours unlike AC1....

Assassination was rife in the 15th and 16th centuries. It made perfect sense to make ACII. If anything they can plunder that period repeatedly in different countries.

It actually makes more sense to hit the period from the 1500s to the 1900s. The general historical record is better, and we have a wealth of information about real assassinations.

Megas_Doux
05-10-2013, 03:15 AM
Even tough I love "classic antiquity", I would prefer other settings for an AC game.

Rugterwyper32
05-10-2013, 03:22 AM
Now, I made a list of locations I've thought of for the series (or that others have and I've agreed they work) that I've posted before in the Future AC titles thread, but I think it could come relevant to this thread so I'll post it here:

"
Event (Cities)

EUROPE

+Dutch Revolt (Amsterdam, Brussels, Maastricht)
Thirty Years' War (Copenhagen, Prague, Heidelberg, Nordlingen)
Moorish Spain/Portugal (Toledo, Lisbon, Sevilla, Salé)
100 Years War, France (Chinon, Orleans, Rouen)
French Revolution and Revolutionary Wars (Paris, Toulon, La Rochelle, Zurich, Luxembourg)
Tudor England (London, Yorkshire, Dublin, Waterford)
Peloponnesian Wars (Athens, Sparta, Potidaea)
-Long War (Vienna, Bratislava, Zagreb)

AFRICA:

Rozwi Empire, Zimbabwe (Great Zimbabwe, Danamombe, Khami, Mapungubwe)
+Byzantine Egypt (Alexandria, Memphis, Oxyrhynchus)
-Difaqane in South Africa (Cape Town, Grahamstown, Port Elizabeth)

ASIA:

-Khmer Empire in Cambodia (Angkor, Lamphun, Vijaya)
+Achaemenid Empire Persia (Babylon, Persepolis, Susa)
India under Company Rule (Calcutta, Pune, Agra, Madras)

AMERICA:

+Classical Maya period (Tikal, Chichen Itza, Palenque, Uxmal)
Inca Empire (Machu Pichu, Cusco, Ollantaybo)
Federal Republic of Central America (Quetzaltenango, Guatemala City, San Cristobal de las Casas, San Salvador)
South American Wars of Independence (Lima, Quito, Caracas)
-American Civil War (Washington DC, Philadelphia, Richmond, Atlanta)

+ is the location I'd be more hyped about in each, - the least. So yeah, that's neat "

Now, I think you can tell that pretty few of these actually go further than AC3 did. So yes, I do agree that going back in time could work, but not TOO far.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-10-2013, 04:00 AM
& Sorry to upset the 'purists' But Japan or China's Westernisation has to be used as a time period & setting at some point ..............
It just seems Utter nonsense with the heritage/History & potential those locations hold , That Ubisoft opt for anything but those locations so far .

( Japan does not have to = Ninja mode , Our Ancestor wouldn't even have to be Japanese - just as Ezio wasn't Turkish.)
NO it doesnt have to go there and I hope it never does...I dont know why gamers are so obsessed with China and Japan...it's played out and boring!!
There are a billion games in these settings!
AC Devs agree and have said that Feudal Japan will never happen as well as WW 2 and Egypt.
They want to go places no one has gone before in gaming...In terms of location (ac 1 and 2), a moment in history (AC 3) or to tell the true story of a fabricated tale (AC 4)
The whole idea of China and Japan just puts me to sleep.... -_-

Assassin_M
05-10-2013, 04:03 AM
NO it doesnt have to go there and I hope it never does...I dont know why gamers are so obsessed with China and Japan...it's played out and boring!!
There are a billion games in these settings!
AC Devs agree and have said that Feudal Japan will never happen as well as WW 2 and Egypt.
They want to go places no one has gone before in gaming...In terms of location (ac 1 and 2), a moment in history (AC 3) or to tell the true story of a fabricated tale (AC 4)
The whole idea of China and Japan just puts me to sleep.... -_-
actually they never said that..Alex just called these setting boring...never specified a time period and never said they`d never happen....so

Also....tons of games take place in America....so that`s irrelevant...the excuse that tons of games take place in Japan and China....

STDlyMcStudpants
05-10-2013, 04:07 AM
Also....tons of games take place in America....so that`s irrelevant...the excuse that tons of games take place in Japan and China....
Must have skipped my 2nd to last sentence.

Assassin_M
05-10-2013, 04:09 AM
Must have skipped my 2nd to last sentence.
Still irrelevant...a lot of games took place during the American Revolution, golden age of piracy and the crusades...

Rugterwyper32
05-10-2013, 04:14 AM
Still irrelevant...a lot of games took place during the American Revolution, golden age of piracy and the crusades...

The issue at hand is not much the location either, but the genre. Before AC, I had not seen one game that took a look at the Crusades the way AC1 did, and much less an action-adventure game the way AC1 was. Same for the American Revolution and the Golden Age of Piracy. I have seen them in strategy games, sure, they have been in RTS games many, many times, and sometimes in other genres, but I feel the way AC looks at them brings something completely new to the table. It's a fresh take on these environments that haven't been explored the way this series does. That's one of the things that keeps bringing me back to the series.

Assassin_M
05-10-2013, 04:23 AM
The issue at hand is not much the location either, but the genre. Before AC, I had not seen one game that took a look at the Crusades the way AC1 did, and much less an action-adventure game the way AC1 was. Same for the American Revolution and the Golden Age of Piracy. I have seen them in strategy games, sure, they have been in RTS games many, many times, and sometimes in other genres, but I feel the way AC looks at them brings something completely new to the table. It's a fresh take on these environments that haven't been explored the way this series does. That's one of the things that keeps bringing me back to the series.
Exactly...

Basically what i`m trying to say..i was just waiting for further replies to capitalize :P

montagemik
05-10-2013, 06:37 AM
I was hoping for america revolution - got it
I was hoping for pirates - got it.
All that is left on my list of wants are Civil/Pre Civil war - playing as an African Assassin that gets brought over on a slave ship...
and Biblical times.

I just pray we never see anything in japan, china or past 1885...

So your wish list for the AC Series was .......................

USA war
CARRIBBEAN PIRATES
USA war
BIBLICAL TIMES

An extremely varied choice of dream locations / settings you selected there . So much more potential for a rich deeply historical storyline involving Assassins than somewhere like China or Japan .
I mean we have 200 yrs + of American history to use compared to a petty 1000 yrs or so of Chinese / Japanese real historical events that have never been depicted in games.

But bless my barnacles & Shiver me timbers you're right - It'd be just awful if they used some Cliche backdrop as a location/time period.

pacmanate
05-10-2013, 12:45 PM
I just want something with a really old setting, where cities are not developed, where there are tyrant rich guys and where buildings are just build really crap (like AC1). I also want a more gritty feel, maybe more screams from the enemies like in AC1 when they are dying. Just something more gritty.

Legendz54
05-10-2013, 01:15 PM
Agreed, They need to hit us with something fresh, Something way back in time with interesting architecture and rich history. Personally I think Greece would be Good. I agree with the above i want something gritty too, I remember cringing when Garnier orders the Guards to break that poor guys legs and i was all hidden in the crowd really glad that wasn't me.

http://youtu.be/qAL2KutSx4Q

AssassinHMS
05-10-2013, 01:29 PM
I just want something with a really old setting, where cities are not developed, where there are tyrant rich guys and where buildings are just build really crap (like AC1). I also want a more gritty feel, maybe more screams from the enemies like in AC1 when they are dying. Just something more gritty.

That would be awesome! I'd also like a more refined setting such as London with a dark, yet fresh atmosphere full of tension and fear. Where you can explore the calm and dangerous streets but also the rich and stunning buildings filled with aparently joyful people but also with conspiracies and secrets.

pacmanate
05-10-2013, 02:29 PM
Agreed, They need to hit us with something fresh, Something way back in time with interesting architecture and rich history. Personally I think Greece would be Good. I agree with the above i want something gritty too, I remember cringing when Garnier orders the Guards to break that poor guys legs and i was all hidden in the crowd really glad that wasn't me.

He is my one of my favourite templars, can't wait to get to this mission again V soon!

That would be awesome! I'd also like a more refined setting such as London with a dark, yet fresh atmosphere full of tension and fear. Where you can explore the calm and dangerous streets but also the rich and stunning buildings filled with aparently joyful people but also with conspiracies and secrets.

I would love that, maybe even have Jack the Ripper and make it super gritty! What I don't want though, are bogs and loads of puddles and mud and crap though.

stingray110
05-10-2013, 05:56 PM
I feel just like you, i would love the roman empire, greece Egypt,india, Babylon and China.I actualy want one before ac1 period. with A LOT of creed and rules, real assassin bases and without fancy gadgets.

This, please.

dragondox10
05-10-2013, 06:06 PM

Idem, but I wouldnt like China as setting and the India setting shouldnt be too far back, maybe the struggle to get independent of the British empire?
I also like the major revolutions as potential settings. So the Industrial revolution in England, Batavian revolution, French revolution, Russian revolution.
But yeah, Roman Empire, Biblical settings, Ancient greece, Egypt would be sooooooo awesome!

Rugterwyper32
05-10-2013, 06:13 PM

I've mentioned the Thirty Years' War time and time again, a lot because man that would be one dark and gritty setting. Some places in Germany lost over 50% of their population, there was an outbreak of witch hunts (which could work well with the storyline), and it was rather chaotic. Honestly, that would make for a really amazing setting, if you ask me

STDlyMcStudpants
05-10-2013, 07:05 PM
So your wish list for the AC Series was .......................

USA war
CARRIBBEAN PIRATES
USA war
BIBLICAL TIMES

An extremely varied choice of dream locations / settings you selected there . So much more potential for a rich deeply historical storyline involving Assassins than somewhere like China or Japan .
I mean we have 200 yrs + of American history to use compared to a petty 1000 yrs or so of Chinese / Japanese real historical events that have never been depicted in games.

But bless my barnacles & Shiver me timbers you're right - It'd be just awful if they used some Cliche backdrop as a location/time period.

Um yeah, A kick *** Runaway slave, a fierce pirate, a brute native, or meeting Jesus is much more bad *** than boring *** china...Not to sound racist but...every character is going to look exactly the same...talk about blending into a crowd. -_-
Even the asian culture is aware of this..they have to give their characters different colored hair to make them distinct ....
Just way too bland..i have no urge at all to play as an asian...

ze_topazio
05-10-2013, 08:09 PM
I have heard Asian and Black people saying that White people all look the same, so i guess that all ethnicities think the other ethnicities look exactly the same, and so perhaps you just need to get used to it.

pacmanate
05-10-2013, 08:15 PM
I have heard Asian and Black people saying that White people all look the same, so i guess that all ethnicities think the other ethnicities look exactly the same, and so perhaps you just need to get used to it.

WHAT. Who?!

montagemik
05-10-2013, 09:15 PM
Um yeah, A kick *** Runaway slave, a fierce pirate, a brute native, or meeting Jesus is much more bad *** than boring *** china...Not to sound racist but...every character is going to look exactly the same...talk about blending into a crowd. -_-
Even the asian culture is aware of this..they have to give their characters different colored hair to make them distinct ....
Just way too bland..i have no urge at all to play as an asian...

I Don't recall ever mentioning playing AS an Asian Assassin .................... You hear JAPAN & jump away at conclusions..

America
America
Carribbean
Holy Land ..................................... So revisiting the holy land for a 2nd time is fine - Italy for 2 games is fine - America for 2 games is fine - Pirates of the carribbean Cliche forcefeed , They've been ramming this blatant P.O.T.C movie influence into AC series since AC-R DLC - Because it's a personal fave movie of the Devs no doubt .
( Blows the 'overused in other media ruling out a scenario / setting' excuse out of the Water really )

But an AC in the orient JUST ONCE at any point in history over the last few thousand years depicting events never used in games before 'would be boring' you say ............Yeah / Kay . :confused:

Like i originally posted - It's utter nonsense to avoid the Orient as a location in the AC series.
If they can make an AC from Pirates of the Carribbean movies .................... They could make a far better one from the events of 'The Last Samurai' movie - Japanese / English / American NPC's .......... 'Talk about blending into a Crowd' !! ? - Wouldn't be a problem as i see it.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-10-2013, 09:32 PM
But an AC in the orient JUST ONCE at any point in history over the last few thousand years depicting events never used in games before 'would be boring' you say ............Yeah / Kay . :confused:

Like i originally posted - It's utter nonsense to avoid the Orient as a location in the AC series.
I'm a very visual person. This opinion of mine is coming strictly from a design perspective. I believe the setting would be extremely dull and boring..it would be AC 3 minus the frontier but I truly believe evn more dull than Boston or new York was...it just doesn't excite me just as Ww2 and future or modern AC doesn't excite me...we've just seen these settings far too much in both video games and culture...I almost rolled my eyes at pirates..but I never got into pirates of the Caribbean so I'm not burnt out on the pirate theme in culture, but I really love pirates and think it would be cool to play a good game as a pirate....the excoticness will be beautiful and thrilling

montagemik
05-10-2013, 09:54 PM
I'm a very visual person. This opinion of mine is coming strictly from a design perspective. I believe the setting would be extremely dull and boring..it would be AC 3 minus the frontier but I truly believe evn more dull than Boston or new York was...it just doesn't excite me just as Ww2 and future or modern AC doesn't excite me...we've just seen these settings far too much in both video games and culture...I almost rolled my eyes at pirates..but I never got into pirates of the Caribbean so I'm not burnt out on the pirate theme in culture, but I really love pirates and think it would be cool to play a good game as a pirate....the excoticness will be beautiful and thrilling

I could use those exact words alone to justify China or Japan.

People don't have to like the idea of the Orient as a suitable location - But i've yet to hear or read a sound arguement for why it wouldn't work for an AC game .

Rugterwyper32
05-10-2013, 10:02 PM
I could use those exact words alone to justify China or Japan.

People don't have to like the idea of the Orient as a suitable location - But i've yet to hear or read a sound arguement for why it wouldn't work for an AC game .

Personally, the one reason it bothers me is because a lot of people seem to think that an Asia based game is necessarily set in Japan or China. I would appreciate either as a setting so long as they go for an unusual time period, though. But we've admittedly seen Asia (seeing how the Middle East is part of it) and I'd hope to see less explored parts of Asia. That's why one of the locations that I've though of it the Khmer Empire in Cambodia, that would be a different experience. Or a mix between the British controller parts of India and the ones untouched by them.
I would still appreciate a game set wherever they choose to, though, so long as good research is done. Except probably for the World Wars, I'm tired of seeing games related to those.

silvermercy
05-10-2013, 10:03 PM
He is my one of my favourite templars, can't wait to get to this mission again V soon!

I would love that, maybe even have Jack the Ripper and make it super gritty! What I don't want though, are bogs and loads of puddles and mud and crap though.
I would love that, too! Right now I think Dishonored is the closest game to this gritty London atmosphere we want...

Rugterwyper32
05-10-2013, 10:31 PM
I would love that, too! Right now I think Dishonored is the closest game to this gritty London atmosphere we want...

Personally, I think even better than Victorian England would be Tudor England during the reign of Henry VIII. Besides him being an interesting character who could make for a great final target ("Henry's paranoia and suspicion worsened in his last years. The total number of executions during his 38-year reign numbered in the tens of thousands. He died in January 1547 at the age of 55 and was succeeded by his son, Edward VI.") we could have cities in both England and Ireland. Give me London, Yorkshire, Kilkenny and Dublin and we're set. It would make for something amazing, if you ask me.

SixKeys
05-10-2013, 10:52 PM

Translation: "Not to sound racist, but I am incredibly racist."

STDlyMcStudpants
05-10-2013, 11:35 PM
Translation: "Not to sound racist, but I am incredibly racist."

sorry my eyes work...

DTfunjumper
05-10-2013, 11:59 PM
been reading this and i feel tempted to throw it in: INDIA
Love indian architecture and lifestyle, might bring SOMETHING ELSE THAN THE BRITISh, sorry for capslocking that but i wouldn't like an indian bollywood connor. Someone who meets Alexander the great or something equivalent. might aswell include it's golden age, as it was the most flourishing country during the middle ages. it hasn't been mentioned often in games yet, which would make it interesting if ubisoft kept their word. just something to throw in.

TheHumanTowel
05-11-2013, 01:00 AM
sorry my eyes work...
Your eyes probably don't work properly if you can't tell the difference between asian people to the extent that it would stop you playing a game.......

Megas_Doux
05-11-2013, 01:35 AM
I dont care what others say, I would love an AC game set during the Opium Wars.....

SixKeys
05-11-2013, 01:35 AM
sorry my eyes work...

Clearly they don't if you think all Asian people (including Chinese, Japanese, Indians, Iraqi, Afghans, Israelites and Turks, to name a few) look alike. I advise you to invest in a new pair of glasses post-haste before embarrassing yourself further.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-11-2013, 01:43 AM
Clearly they don't if you think all Asian people (including Chinese, Japanese, Indians, Iraqi, Afghans, Israelites and Turks, to name a few) look alike. I advise you to invest in a new pair of glasses post-haste before embarrassing yourself further.

They do...Japanese are a spitting image of Indians....

Megas_Doux
05-11-2013, 01:44 AM

You are just.....WRONG!

SixKeys
05-11-2013, 02:11 AM

http://wheesung.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/junsu.jpg http://www.asiancelebrityupdate.com/india-indian-male-guy.jpg

Clearly.

Assassin_M
05-11-2013, 02:19 AM
Something`s wrong...there`s clearly something wrong...I hope he`s joking..please tell me he`s joking ?? please be joking...i refuse to believe you`re human....or maybe it all makes sense :|

thecodeman715
05-11-2013, 02:25 AM
I am totally against anything closer than the American Civil War... Unless we get a Nikolai Orleov game... If we go back in time, I'd like to learn about the six assassins in the Villa, or maybe European Feudalism.

thecodeman715
05-11-2013, 02:26 AM
Oh, and If anyone wants a Modern-day game, just play Hitman.

I-Like-Pie45
05-11-2013, 05:18 AM
What makes the American Civil War a better scenario for an AC game than the multiple Chinese civil wars that have been fought?

montagemik
05-11-2013, 08:01 AM
What makes the American Civil War a better scenario for an AC game than the multiple Chinese civil wars that have been fought?

Absolutely Nothing at all ............... U.S Civil war has been used in many fiction & non-fiction Books , Many movies or Dramatisations.......... ( as have Pirates )
The 'Overused in other media' Excuse is just that - An Excuse. .

The Assassin Order has already depicted connections to the far east - The ancestors statues in Villa Auditore depict assassin ancestors from across the globe.
Any of their country of origins should be more than just suitable - They should be used at some point in the series.

Far East at many points in history - highly suitable .
Rome at other points in history - highly suitable
Greece at many points in history - highly suitable........................(Continental europe in general is a feast of locations/ periods)
Egypt - Insert ancient legends/Gods here - So suitable
England - Suitable all the way up to modern times ...................Lack of 'widespread Gun use' makes modern setting more plausible for an Assassin at least.

USA - Limited history available by comparison - Relatively young country ............But was acceptable enough for the Devs creativity .
Carribbean ........ (Tropical islands & pirates .........periods & locations not remotely highly used before in other media) But again = Anchors away & off we go.

Setting seems entirely dependant on where the Devs want to go play next - rather than any other deciding factor .............

shop5107FB585
05-11-2013, 08:05 AM
Definitely.

poptartz20
05-11-2013, 09:01 AM
I'm waiting for a game in England still... Medieval Times, Since we had Haytham do a reversal I would like to see the reverse of the reverse. More or less you have a Squire boy trained as a Templar turn into Assassin, struggling with the fact that he has to kill the ones he loves, maybe even letting them live or some that actually change their way of thinking, along the time you get to climb into Gigantic Castles, jousting, archery, and you can recruit slaves or surfs from the castle as people in your brotherhood. Go up against a raising king or queen of the time and fully participate in a war.

That or they take it south/ Central America would be nice. Mayans, Inca's, so on so forth.

I'm skeptical on Japan. It would be cool but just so freakkin typical. : / it's just one of those things I would have to try it and see more before I'm sold on the idea.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-11-2013, 06:32 PM
Something`s wrong...there`s clearly something wrong...I hope he`s joking..please tell me he`s joking ?? please be joking...i refuse to believe you`re human....or maybe it all makes sense :|

The beauty of sarcasm lol...the key is to sound as dumb as the assumption made...
;D

STDlyMcStudpants
05-11-2013, 06:58 PM
I'm waiting for a game in England still... Medieval Times, Since we had Haytham do a reversal I would like to see the reverse of the reverse. More or less you have a Squire boy trained as a Templar turn into Assassin, struggling with the fact that he has to kill the ones he loves, maybe even letting them live or some that actually change their way of thinking, along the time you get to climb into Gigantic Castles, jousting, archery, and you can recruit slaves or surfs from the castle as people in your brotherhood. Go up against a raising king or queen of the time and fully participate in a war.

That or they take it south/ Central America would be nice. Mayans, Inca's, so on so forth.

I'm skeptical on Japan. It would be cool but just so freakkin typical. : / it's just one of those things I would have to try it and see more before I'm sold on the idea.
AC 1 through Revelations was medieval times...
I'm suprised that they did the middle ages and skipped the Age of Discovery though..
This game though most of us miss it is highly religion based at its core.
We start in the holy land during the crusades..when preaching first began from the Western Europeans.. 1095-1291
Then we went to Renaissance which lasted until the 17th century
but within the renaissance age was the age of discovery...which was triggered after the fall of Constantinople just 2years after ezio was born (15th century)(1450s), even ezio hints to land masses that dont exist yet when he sees the map

WE could literally brush past Ezio going into africa as its exploration started in the 1480s.. Ezio would have been 27-mid 30s
or we could even fast forward to the 1490s with the discover of the americas (west indies, brazil..etc..)
Ir even to the conquistadores in the 1520s with the incan and aztec empire...

I can literally go on and on..The age of discovery is SO large and varied

SixKeys
05-11-2013, 07:05 PM
The beauty of sarcasm lol...the key is to sound as dumb as the assumption made...
;D

http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/thumb/7/73/Trollface.png/500px-Trollface.png

lothario-da-be
05-11-2013, 07:33 PM
AC 1 through Revelations was medieval times...
I'm suprised that they did the middle ages and skipped the Age of Discovery though..
This game though most of us miss it is highly religion based at its core.
We start in the holy land during the crusades..when preaching first began from the Western Europeans.. 1095-1291
Then we went to Renaissance which lasted until the 17th century
but within the renaissance age was the age of discovery...which was triggered after the fall of Constantinople just 2years after ezio was born (15th century)(1450s), even ezio hints to land masses that dont exist yet when he sees the map

WE could literally brush past Ezio going into africa as its exploration started in the 1480s.. Ezio would have been 27-mid 30s
or we could even fast forward to the 1490s with the discover of the americas (west indies, brazil..etc..)
Ir even to the conquistadores in the 1520s with the incan and aztec empire...

I can literally go on and on..The age of discovery is SO large and varied
We can't have more then 3 games in 1500-1700 That would be too much the same.

Rugterwyper32
05-11-2013, 07:50 PM
We can't have more then 3 games in 1500-1700 That would be too much the same.

I think the best way to avoid that and to have many games set in the various eras would be to jump around all over the place, not just in terms of geographical location, but era. Jump from ancient times in one place to 18th century in another and then back to 12th century in another and so on. That could keep things fresh and unpredictable

lothario-da-be
05-11-2013, 07:53 PM
I think the best way to avoid that and to have many games set in the various eras would be to jump around all over the place, not just in terms of geographical location, but era. Jump from ancient times in one place to 18th century in another and then back to 12th century in another and so on. That could keep things fresh and unpredictable
This, from the Caribean to the Roman empire to medieval Japan to India 1600-1800 to the persian empire or Babylon to The Russian revolution... now its already 4 games with non automatic guns.

Rugterwyper32
05-11-2013, 08:02 PM
This, from the Caribean to the Roman empire to medieval Japan to India 1600-1800 to the persian empire or Babylon to The Russian revolution... now its already 4 games with non automatic guns.

Man, they could even go to more unexpected settings. How about suddenly something set in the Inca Empire? And then we move on to Egypt during its time under the Roman empire, or to Greece during the Peloponesian wars? And then suddenly the Thirty Years' War followed by something else entirely, like India during that same timeframe? One of the fun things is that with so many things constantly happening in the world at the same time, there are some locations that could be during the exact same timeframe as another game yet they can be different enough because of the local culture. Or places that could even be revisited later on and they would be different enough for a whole new game (people still ask for the Roman Empire after having Rome in a game and having this different version of Rome would be such a different experience from Brotherhood that it would work perfectly)

pacmanate
05-11-2013, 08:14 PM

Yup, was thinking about this today. They would also run out of stuff to do if they hug around the 12th century. I want them to skip, but skip backwards by a lot, and forward by a lot. Not just moving Forward a little, then back a little. Say we got one in 1300 in Syria again, they could do one in 1500's but the archieture could still be gritty and old depending on location, like Egypt or Persia.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-11-2013, 09:08 PM
IF they did one in India it would make most sense to do so in the 1450s when the "Templar" started expanding for trade routs...which doesnt work bc ezio was born in 1452 lol
The Americas make most sense if they are going to pick a spot in between ezio and edward to go back to..i dont think we will see anything in between Altair and Ezio, because nothing significant really happened history wise in those 300 years..besides the black death and other plagues....
IF we go into the 1800s it would be for an African Slave setting in North America..which I still think would be pretty cool being a runaway assassin slave
I understand now that our creed does not command us to be free. It commands us to be wise.
as for the 1600s...1666 drop was either a large indicator that Ubi DOESNT want to go there OR!!! that they are already planning it.
1500s discovery or biblical 10 /20 to 30/50 AD or maybe even 586 BC with the fall of Jerusalem

Rugterwyper32
05-11-2013, 09:23 PM
IF they did one in India it would make most sense to do so in the 1450s when the "Templar" started expanding for trade routs...which doesnt work bc ezio was born in 1452 lol
The Americas make most sense if they are going to pick a spot in between ezio and edward to go back to..i dont think we will see anything in between Altair and Ezio, because nothing significant really happened history wise in those 300 years..besides the black death and other plagues....
IF we go into the 1800s it would be for an African Slave setting in North America..which I still think would be pretty cool being a runaway assassin slave
I understand now that our creed does not command us to be free. It commands us to be wise.
as for the 1600s...1666 drop was either a large indicator that Ubi DOESNT want to go there OR!!! that they are already planning it.
1500s discovery or biblical 10 /20 to 30/50 AD or maybe even 586 BC with the fall of Jerusalem

Well, there's one important thing that happens between Altair and Ezio that could be really relevant to the series of the storyline:

"1307 Muslims have driven "Crusaders" from the Middle East, including the order called the Templars. Templars have arrived in France. They are wealthy, and King Philip accuses them of magic and heresy – the only way he can lawfully seize Templar assets. For good measure the Templars are accused also of sodomy and of being in league with the Muslims. Philip has the Templars arrested on Friday the 13th (giving Friday the13th its reputation as a day of bad luck). Some Templars are tortured and executed. "

Though honestly, they have tons of options everywhere and I think it could be cool if they went to places that are not as relevant historically, as those could still make for really, really interesting settings. And there's also relevant stuff, like the Hundred Years War and the Reconquista in the Iberian peninsula progressed, with Portugal being retaken and pushing the moors all the way back to southern Spain

Spider_Sith9
05-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Can I have a Modern Day game? And no Hitman like that guy said. I want the same lore as AC.

pacmanate
05-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Can I have a Modern Day game? And no Hitman like that guy said. I want the same lore as AC.

Until they get the stealth right, Watch_Dogs is a modern day AC game.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-11-2013, 10:59 PM
Well, there's one important thing that happens between Altair and Ezio that could be really relevant to the series of the storyline:

"1307 Muslims have driven "Crusaders" from the Middle East, including the order called the Templars. Templars have arrived in France. They are wealthy, and King Philip accuses them of magic and heresy – the only way he can lawfully seize Templar assets. For good measure the Templars are accused also of sodomy and of being in league with the Muslims. Philip has the Templars arrested on Friday the 13th (giving Friday the13th its reputation as a day of bad luck). Some Templars are tortured and executed. "

THAT is a game i want to see ;D

STDlyMcStudpants
05-11-2013, 11:00 PM
Until they get the stealth right, Watch_Dogs is a modern day AC game.

Exactly..from view points to feel..it is modern day ac :D
I believe the ac3 team worked on it if im not mistaken

Spider_Sith9
05-12-2013, 07:47 PM
I know! :D But it won't be the same without the Sci-Fi elements of the Modern-Day and the Historical Elements of the past. It feels like I'm a hacker in a Bourne movie in Watch_Dogs. :P

lothario-da-be
05-12-2013, 08:48 PM
Exactly..from view points to feel..it is modern day ac :D
I believe the ac3 team worked on it if im not mistaken
How is that possible? AC3 had a dev time of 3 years, i don't think they started working on WD then.

Syler99
05-13-2013, 02:54 AM
I don't know how far back I'd want them to go but at this point it makes no sense unless its a brand new character ie not Desmond's bloodline. However this then brings up the issue of why should we go backwards that far in time anyway? Why do I need to go back to the Celtics when Desmond already gave me all the relevant apples I needed? What more can Jane or John Doe's ancient ancestors give me Abstergo or me the Assassins?

This is one of those it would be sooo cool to do but I can't make this make sense in the overall plot of what AC is.

I'm actually more worried about them going into the future at some point we're just gong to have to play our hero in the real world/ modern times and to me this will be quite boring. Even if they sent me over to some far flung place like Vietnam or older portions of Japan where many of the ancient buildings are still standing I'll at somepoint have to come into larger cities and then I can't use the rooftops or stealth my way around in any real fun manor as I could in ancient times which ruins alot of the fun factor for me. I didn't like the wrestling game, I didn't like the office buildings, I didn't like parachuting from the crane its all modern, done, and boring to me.

Bashilir
05-13-2013, 03:12 AM
I don't know how far back I'd want them to go but at this point it makes no sense unless its a brand new character ie not Desmond's bloodline. However this then brings up the issue of why should we go backwards that far in time anyway? Why do I need to go back to the Celtics when Desmond already gave me all the relevant apples I needed? What more can Jane or John Doe's ancient ancestors give me Abstergo or me the Assassins?

This is one of those it would be sooo cool to do but I can't make this make sense in the overall plot of what AC is.

I'm actually more worried about them going into the future at some point we're just gong to have to play our hero in the real world/ modern times and to me this will be quite boring. Even if they sent me over to some far flung place like Vietnam or older portions of Japan where many of the ancient buildings are still standing I'll at somepoint have to come into larger cities and then I can't use the rooftops or stealth my way around in any real fun manor as I could in ancient times which ruins alot of the fun factor for me. I didn't like the wrestling game, I didn't like the office buildings, I didn't like parachuting from the crane its all modern, done, and boring to me.

At some point, Ubisoft is going to have to either: 1. Dump the modern storyline altogether or, 2. Make it to where's just you, as a consumer, who is enjoying the animus by conveniently having a significant ancestor or someone else's that's important. *cough*Subject 16*cough*

GreySkellig
05-13-2013, 05:16 AM
At some point, Ubisoft is going to have to either: 1. Dump the modern storyline altogether or, 2. Make it to where's just you, as a consumer, who is enjoying the animus by conveniently having a significant ancestor or someone else's that's important. *cough*Subject 16*cough*

It seems like what you're suggesting is kind of the direction they devs are talking about with all the "the modern protagonist is you" stuff. I think it could be interesting--a (possibly) first-person perspective might really get me re-involved with the modern, alien conspiracy aspect of the game. I haven't really been that hooked into that portion of the plot since Brotherhood, with the exception of the end scene of Revelations. TBH I never really liked Desmond and the gang. They grated on me...in particular Desmond and Rebecca seemed like 2D American stereotypes, loud not a whole lot of personality going on. I know there are folks who will disagree, and I'm not looking to get into an argument here, just expressing my feelings about the Desmond plotline. I always kinda felt like he got in between me and the story, whereas the historical protagonists have been a great way to experience the unfolding story. Suffice it to say I'm interested to see how this part pans out.

That said, on a more on-topic note, I'm somewhat leery of going too far back. I'm a student of history and archaeology, so obviously there are lots of eras which intrigue me and which I think could be fun for a AAA game. But I don't know if all of those periods would be suitable for an AC game. The devs have to (and presumably will) consider how much we now about the period, what the architecture was like, whether assassination makes sense historically as a theme for that location. Heck, you even have to wonder whether the technology existed to manufacture gadgets like the hidden blade. So while I can see the appeal, some suggested locations/periods seem like a stretch.

Also, my first post! Ya, happy to be here, kiss some babies, so on and so forth.

montagemik
05-13-2013, 05:54 AM

Desmond & the Animus So far have only given us the knowledge & P.O.E we needed to gain access to the temple & Free Juno .
The potential for discovery hasn't ended .
We ( as Abstergo ) could have every reason to think some other 1st civilisation technology could be used to stop Juno .
Abstergo have desmond's genetic memory line fully synced .............He's all they need to travel back as far as the Animus will allow to play as any number of ancestors. (so far we've only visited specific memories ).

But the Assassins group William & Co .......Could equally seek out a new protagonist to find similar useful technology or info to use against Juno , maybe even propose an alliance with Abstergo . ( AC4 - White Flag ?? just a thought )

This simplistic idea could easily work within the overall plot of AC .
And when the Juno saga ends ...........

If the Templars are the final victors ........We'll eventually be playing the 'Abstergo Entertainment Ancestors' gaming series ........A much more Arcade feeling game, more emphasis on Action & being amazing - less emphasis on Plot or Story . A limitless supply of archive ancestors & simulated creations .

If the Assassins are the final victors ...........We could rebuilding the Assassin order worldwide - Training new recruits within the Animus ..........A never ending series of games - each one a new recruit & ancestor.

It Could be milked forever in theory .

STDlyMcStudpants
05-13-2013, 06:29 AM
How is that possible? AC3 had a dev time of 3 years, i don't think they started working on WD then.

The entire team isnt needed for the entire process..at least i dont believe so.
I'm sure assassins creed 3 took 2 years to actually make and 1 year to clean up (they are still patching lol)
But by clean up time, the artists and designers are done with their part..the rest is up to the programmers etc to make it work.
The Far Cry 3 team worked on assassins creed 4 also a game released a year after

maxi97ski
05-14-2013, 06:22 PM
If the Templars are the final victors ........We'll eventually be playing the 'Abstergo Entertainment Ancestors' gaming series ........A much more Arcade feeling game, more emphasis on Action & being amazing - less emphasis on Plot or Story . A limitless supply of archive ancestors & simulated creations .

If the Assassins are the final victors ...........We could rebuilding the Assassin order worldwide - Training new recruits within the Animus ..........A never ending series of games - each one a new recruit & ancestor.

It Could be milked forever in theory .
Nope only till history ends ;)