PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed IV Customization

Wolfmeister1010
05-09-2013, 01:35 AM
Hello all!! I am starting a new poll/thread regarding a topic that I don't believe has been discussed yet. But, before I start. I would like to first apologize for my remarks about The Ubisoft/Desilets incident. My facts were not all right, and it was not my place to defend Desilets so vigorously.*

Moving on, this thread is about customization!!! I believe that customization has gotten progressively more boring and lazy since after AC2. The outfits, armor pieces, and dyes all felt amazing in AC2. The dyes were expanded in Brotherhood, but the armor was not as good looking as in AC2. In Revelations, all the armor options were pretty bland and boring, and it made it even more boring that many of the outfits and armor pieces could be unlocked very very quickly. In AC3, there is virtually no customization at all, save for a few dyes. AC4 needs to change things. Armor, clothing, and dyes would be hugely important, especially in AC4, because it takes place in an area where dozens of cultures and people's mix.*

1. Put armor back in and make it better looking. The great thing about the armor in AC2 was that all,of them looked good, must they also looked relatively easy to move in. The armor in Brotherhood and Revelations was very bulky and strange. How can an assassin move in that? The armor options in AC4 don't have to be full on plates of metal, but rather, make it different styles and forms of leather. It can be completely aesthetic only for all I care. Although Connor's outfit is my favorite, I still wish I could upgrade it.

2. Allow customization of specific parts. In past Creed games, the parts of the outfits that could be customized were the braves, bracers, chest, and shoulders. However, on top of these parts, I think more extensive customization should be featured. You should have the option to customize things like the shape of your hood, the color of your sash, the design of your belt, the color of your holsters, and more. you should be able to swap your good for a captain hat, or just lower the hood. You know how you can customize extremely specific parts of your animi avatar in multiplayer? It should be at least as extensive as that.

3. Allow us to de-equip parts of armor as we please. For the love of G_d!!

4. Allow the option to have different sets of robes. All the armor and dyes in previous ACs went on the same pair of robes. I think in addition to changing armor, we should have the option to choose what style of robes go underneath them. There should be at least a few options. For example, you could have set of robes that looks like assassin robes, and another*

5. Allow us to wear regular clothes, like sailor clothes, noble clothes, and the like. It would help us feel more immersed in the crowd, if not actually affect the gameplay. It would just be a fun thing to have.

6. For the love of G_d and all that is holy, please let us have the option to make Edward's hood beaked. Without the beak hood, Edward just looks like a fool. All assassins need the beak hood, and if ubisoft does not change his default appearance to have a beak hood, then at least give us the option to add one.

7. Ummmm, last time I checked, flintlock pistols were not attached to your waist by magnets in the 18th century. Why does Edward have no holsters?? I like the look of bare pistols on his chest, but the pistols just floating by his waist just does not work or look right. Please put holsters on him like Connor does or like in the CGI trailer.

8. There needs to be way more weapons to choose from. Way more types and styles of swords, knives, axes, and pistols than there were in AC3.

9. There is another thread here talking about a cape/long coat that Edward is showed wearing in magazine covers, and figurines. I assume that it will be featured in the game, but just in case I will also suggest it here. IT IS FREAKING AWESOME LOOKING. I literally can not express how bad *** and perfect it looks on Edward. I hope we have the option to wear it in freeroam and place it over any outfit.

10. Better unlockable outfit. In AC2, we got Altair's armor after 6 missions across italy. And that set of armor was freaking awesome. In Britherhood, we got Romulus armor, which in my opinion was pretty ugly. In revelations, we got Ishak Pasha armor, which was just one big metal plate. We need a better main unlockable outfit in AC4. It should be a cool looking pirate outfit. Not like the one in AC3, though. That one looked bad. Really spend some time designing and creating the perfect unlockable outfit.

Well? What do you think? Please comment on what you think about specific parts of my ideas, or participate in the poll to let me know what you think on a broader scale. Thanks.

Rugterwyper32
05-09-2013, 02:08 AM
1. No thanks. I want no more armor in the series. Besides making the series even more ridiculously easy than it already was, and I found it ridiculous to have this tank with armor walking around nonchalantly. And I honestly don't see the appeal of changing armors around. I liked the idea AC3 had, it just lacked a certain cool factor. And I'd like them to go back to the sync-based health style of AC1.

2. Now this I can agree with more. I'm not a fan of armor, but being able to modify outfits like that would be rather interesting. Reminds me of how in AC:B I could have an outfit/cape combo that I wanted even if it didn't fit or looked weird. Some more variety with that wouldn't hurt. And if you could also modify outfits you got, that could be kinda cool. Though I think having a basic outfit and a few others that are also customizable (and a few unlockables that can't be modified) would work.

3. Back to point 1

4. Back to point 2. I think that having the main robe and two similar Assassin robes that are customizable too sounds cool.

5. Fully agreed. Whenever I play AC:B I walk around with the Florentine Noble outfit. And with AC3, it's usually the Captain of the Aquilla outfit, since there's none that seems more fitting to roam around (I still wish the Mercenary outfit was usable)

6. I don't know why people make such a big deal about the beaked hood, so disagreeing there. But that's just me.

7. Agreed there. That looks, admittedly, ridiculous.

8. Unless they actually have an impact gameplay-wise, I don't really see the point of more and more weapons. I still think they should scale back. Pistols were probably the best at actually working differently with gameplay, but I don't see any big difference in combat with any other weapons.

9. Would be cool to have. Being able to put it on and remove it at will would be neat.

10. While I love Captain Kidd's outfit, a neater reward would be cool. I think that it also has to do with the detatchment story-wise that it has compared to the Armor of Altair. The other two I wasn't a fan of, admittedly, so yeah.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-09-2013, 03:44 AM
I say no to all customization....It just isnt needed and isnt something i care for at all...
An Assassin has a White Robe..when youre old and grey its a dark robe
Not only does it take away from the looking like an assassin part...but cut scenes its just like ew..
It could have worked in a game like AC 1 where cut scenes were live action that you controlled..but with built in cut scenes no...
I loved Connors alternate color changes but I didnt like the feel of looking different running around than i did in a cut scene..it kind of pulled me out of the game and spoiled the experience a bit.... needless to say the bad *** color changes went back to normal after 30 min of cringing haha

As for #6..its pretty well established that the beak is a ranking thing.
Only Master Assassins get the beak

and not caring isnt cool....we both know everyone cares about the hood...its more symbolic than the A

Silly hipsters -_-

projectpat06
05-09-2013, 03:53 AM
we'll prob get a new set of assassin robes at the end of the game once Edward has moved on from piracy and fully devoted himself to the order as seen in Forsaken. They will prob have an entire set of missions like the homestead missions that we will be able to acquire this

Wolfmeister1010
05-09-2013, 04:45 AM
I am very surpriepsed I was so badly recieved in the poll......

HisSpiritLives
05-09-2013, 08:12 AM
I agree with you on most points,especialy on 5,8 and 9.

montagemik
05-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Hello all!! I am starting a new poll/thread regarding a topic that I don't believe has been discussed yet. But, before I start. I would like to first apologize for my remarks about The Ubisoft/Desilets incident. My facts were not all right, and it was not my place to defend Desilets so vigorously.*

Moving on, this thread is about customization!!! I believe that customization has gotten progressively more boring and lazy since after AC2. The outfits, armor pieces, and dyes all felt amazing in AC2. The dyes were expanded in Brotherhood, but the armor was not as good looking as in AC2. In Revelations, all the armor options were pretty bland and boring, and it made it even more boring that many of the outfits and armor pieces could be unlocked very very quickly. In AC3, there is virtually no customization at all, save for a few dyes. AC4 needs to change things. Armor, clothing, and dyes would be hugely important, especially in AC4, because it takes place in an area where dozens of cultures and people's mix.*

1. Put armor back in and make it better looking. The great thing about the armor in AC2 was that all,of them looked good, must they also looked relatively easy to move in. The armor in Brotherhood and Revelations was very bulky and strange. How can an assassin move in that? The armor options in AC4 don't have to be full on plates of metal, but rather, make it different styles and forms of leather. It can be completely aesthetic only for all I care. Although Connor's outfit is my favorite, I still wish I could upgrade it.

2. Allow customization of specific parts. In past Creed games, the parts of the outfits that could be customized were the braves, bracers, chest, and shoulders. However, on top of these parts, I think more extensive customization should be featured. You should have the option to customize things like the shape of your hood, the color of your sash, the design of your belt, the color of your holsters, and more. you should be able to swap your good for a captain hat, or just lower the hood. You know how you can customize extremely specific parts of your animi avatar in multiplayer? It should be at least as extensive as that.

3. Allow us to de-equip parts of armor as we please. For the love of G_d!!

4. Allow the option to have different sets of robes. All the armor and dyes in previous ACs went on the same pair of robes. I think in addition to changing armor, we should have the option to choose what style of robes go underneath them. There should be at least a few options. For example, you could have set of robes that looks like assassin robes, and another*

5. Allow us to wear regular clothes, like sailor clothes, noble clothes, and the like. It would help us feel more immersed in the crowd, if not actually affect the gameplay. It would just be a fun thing to have.

6. For the love of G_d and all that is holy, please let us have the option to make Edward's hood beaked. Without the beak hood, Edward just looks like a fool. All assassins need the beak hood, and if ubisoft does not change his default appearance to have a beak hood, then at least give us the option to add one.

7. Ummmm, last time I checked, flintlock pistols were not attached to your waist by magnets in the 18th century. Why does Edward have no holsters?? I like the look of bare pistols on his chest, but the pistols just floating by his waist just does not work or look right. Please put holsters on him like Connor does or like in the CGI trailer.

8. There needs to be way more weapons to choose from. Way more types and styles of swords, knives, axes, and pistols than there were in AC3.

9. There is another thread here talking about a cape/long coat that Edward is showed wearing in magazine covers, and figurines. I assume that it will be featured in the game, but just in case I will also suggest it here. IT IS FREAKING AWESOME LOOKING. I literally can not express how bad *** and perfect it looks on Edward. I hope we have the option to wear it in freeroam and place it over any outfit.

10. Better unlockable outfit. In AC2, we got Altair's armor after 6 missions across italy. And that set of armor was freaking awesome. In Britherhood, we got Romulus armor, which in my opinion was pretty ugly. In revelations, we got Ishak Pasha armor, which was just one big metal plate. We need a better main unlockable outfit in AC4. It should be a cool looking pirate outfit. Not like the one in AC3, though. That one looked bad. Really spend some time designing and creating the perfect unlockable outfit.

Well? What do you think? Please comment on what you think about specific parts of my ideas, or participate in the poll to let me know what you think on a broader scale. Thanks.

You seem fixated on 'Dress up' with Armours ..................... None of which are really needed as a pirate .
Leather armour is the only practicle option for the Carribbean - Metal armour & Salt water = bad idea .

But we already know Edward has different colour DYES available & different styles of outfit to some extent .
So 'IS ANY MORE DRESS UP NEEDED' ? = Not really .

BATISTABUS
05-09-2013, 10:12 AM
1. Armor is completely useless, and just makes the game easier. It should never have been in the game.
2. Waste of development time IMO.
3. Refer to 1.
4. Also pointless. Does this really add anything to the game? Does it matter of we can change the color of the sash?
5. Would you really prefer time be devoted to this than something else?
6. What? Why? His hood isn't beaked...Aveline didn't even have a hood.
7. This is certainly odd, but weapons have always kind of floated there. I suppose I agree with this one the most so far.
8. Completely disagree. Three weapons with specific purposes are better than dozens of pointless variations, especially when upgrades just make the game easier.
9. If he doesn't wear it, he doesn't wear it. I don't care.
10. Fine.

Well...most of your suggestions are aesthetic modifications, and I say those should be the absolute BOTTOM priority for an Assassin's Creed game. It also doesn't help that I never modify the costume anyway. I'm also against all that AC2/B/R bullcrap of pointless weapon and armor upgrades.

Sushiglutton
05-09-2013, 12:23 PM
1. Armor is completely useless, and just makes the game easier. It should never have been in the game.
2. Waste of development time IMO.
3. Refer to 1.
4. Also pointless. Does this really add anything to the game? Does it matter of we can change the color of the sash?
5. Would you really prefer time be devoted to this than something else?
6. What? Why? His hood isn't beaked...Aveline didn't even have a hood.
7. This is certainly odd, but weapons have always kind of floated there. I suppose I agree with this one the most so far.
8. Completely disagree. Three weapons with specific purposes are better than dozens of pointless variations, especially when upgrades just make the game easier.
9. If he doesn't wear it, he doesn't wear it. I don't care.
10. Fine.

Well...most of your suggestions are aesthetic modifications, and I say those should be the absolute BOTTOM priority for an Assassin's Creed game. It also doesn't help that I never modify the costume anyway. I'm also against all that AC2/B/R bullcrap of pointless weapon and armor upgrades.

Pretty much agree with this tbh, sorry TC :(. Especially 8). Combat is too shallow and I think one of the reason is that for every move they add they must make an animation for tons of different weapons that does the same thing. Better to get one weapon right instead. Personally I wouldn't mind if double cutlasses was the only close combat alternative and hidden blades were the stealth one.

AherasSTRG
05-09-2013, 04:25 PM
I only want the Long coat and the cape. Mostly the Long Coat, I love it... 0.0

montagemik
05-09-2013, 04:34 PM

The LONG COAT IS The CAPE .

Pay attention people . :p

prince162010
05-09-2013, 05:33 PM

I certainly agreed :rolleyes::rolleyes:

AssassinHMS
05-09-2013, 10:26 PM

Why would you want more weapons? I'd rather less but more effective equipment. Besides it's also due to the big variety of weapons we don't have a sword sheath since AC1.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-10-2013, 03:50 AM
Why would you want more weapons? I'd rather less but more effective equipment. Besides it's also due to the big variety of weapons we don't have a sword sheath since AC1.

Exactly!
They just take up space..Every AC game i use 2 swords
#1 what you start with
#2 either what i find with my dlc or i take a 5 star weapon from a templar

Farlander1991
05-10-2013, 07:24 AM
Plus, there needs to be a variety between weapon types from game mechanics perspective... Sure, heavy weapons are somewhat slower than hidden blades, but there has to be more than that.

Like, imagine if Brutes in AC2 could've been killed ONLY with Heavy Weapons and spears, for example? (I mean, LOOK at their armor! Alright, you can kill them with hidden blade if you go for a weak spot between its connection points, sure, but penetrating the armor itself with throwin knives/crossbows (I'm looking at you, ACB! Killing with a crossbow in one shot? It should be like several for brutes) and other lighter weapons?

And maybe the only way to kill with a hidden blade would be to distract them with taunts or something. It would also make brutes more menacing and automatically encourage use of variety of weapons.

And stuff like that.

Sushiglutton
05-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Plus, there needs to be a variety between weapon types from game mechanics perspective... Sure, heavy weapons are somewhat slower than hidden blades, but there has to be more than that.

Like, imagine if Brutes in AC2 could've been killed ONLY with Heavy Weapons and spears, for example? (I mean, LOOK at their armor! Alright, you can kill them with hidden blade if you go for a weak spot between its connection points, sure, but penetrating the armor itself with throwin knives/crossbows (I'm looking at you, ACB! Killing with a crossbow in one shot? It should be like several for brutes) and other lighter weapons?

And maybe the only way to kill with a hidden blade would be to distract them with taunts or something. It would also make brutes more menacing and automatically encourage use of variety of weapons.

And stuff like that.

Exactly, they should only have as many weapons as they can create meaningful gameplay differences for. Every new weapon means they have to replicate all combat animations one more time. Which is probably why there are so few moves in AC's combat. The variation keeps the combat shallow. Therefor I hope dual cutlasses+hidden blades will be the only melee weapons in AC4 and that they can be combined with tools to create variety in combat.

Farlander1991
05-10-2013, 12:00 PM
Every new weapon means they have to replicate all combat animations one more time.

If you mean 'every new type of weapon', (i.e. sword, heavy weapon, small weapon) then yes, new sets of animations have to be created for each, but if you mean 'every new weapon of a type (i.e. five swords)', then, no, you don't have to do that, you just replace the weapon itself, you don't have to create/replicate a new animation for it.

Though, the issue I have with multiple amount of weapons of the same class is that right now the only notable difference (in terms of the stats they have, i.e. combo/block/damage) is between the worst and best weapon of a type, all the ones in the middle are kinda samey because the difference is not noticeable.

*looks at your new avatar*

I see what you did there :p

Sushiglutton
05-10-2013, 12:21 PM
If you mean 'every new type of weapon', (i.e. sword, heavy weapon, small weapon) then yes, new sets of animations have to be created for each, but if you mean 'every new weapon of a type (i.e. five swords)', then, no, you don't have to do that, you just replace the weapon itself, you don't have to create/replicate a new animation for it.

Though, the issue I have with multiple amount of weapons of the same class is that right now the only notable difference (in terms of the stats they have, i.e. combo/block/damage) is between the worst and best weapon of a type, all the ones in the middle are kinda samey because the difference is not noticeable.

*looks at your new avatar*

I see what you did there :p

Yeah I meant "type" (I mean the daggers have the same animations as the tomahawk for one :p). I like my new skin, matches well with the more colorful AC4:BF game ;).

Farlander1991
05-10-2013, 12:32 PM
Yeah I meant "type" (I mean the daggers have the same animations as the tomahawk for one http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20120411.419/images/smilies/tongue.png)

Okay, well... no, in case of daggers and tomahawks (and swords btw, because I think they use the same animations too), you still don't have to replicate sets of animations.

Think about it this way, you have a class of objects: weapons. And this class has child classes: i.e. daggers, swords, tomahawks, heavy weapons, muskets (for this example, though there are more). And you have only two sets of animations (again, for this example, since there are more). So, what you do, is you add a variable (probably to the player class, I don't think it would be wise to add it to the weapon class) which set of animation is used depending on what child class of weapon is equipped. If it's a dagger, sword or tomahawk: set of animations #1, if it's heavy weapons and muskets: set of animations #2.

And what you do with the weapons themselves now (since they're all different sizes and forms and stuff like that) is that you add coordinate offsets to each weapon itself (which could be implemented as a variable in the child of the weapon child classes :D Or maybe there's a switch in the child class that sets the offset, or smth). so during animations themselves they would be in the right position.

This is all generally speaking, btw, it could be implemented in a different manner, but still the principles are the same: OOP (Object-Oriented Programming). It's about making a flexible system, much better than hardcoding everything for everything or duplicating the same stuff for different classes.

AssassinHMS
05-10-2013, 01:08 PM

And stuff like that.

Imagine an AC game where you can only cary two weapons: a ranged weapon for long distance kills (throwing knives or darts) and a melee weapon for stealthy assassinations (hidden blade or a knife). Direct combat would be a last resort and the focus would be to stun opponents and flee rather than killing all of them.
The outfit and the equipment would be customizable in order to blend better and become deadlier. For example:
- long sleeves (like prowler's, the ACB multiplayer character) hide the hidden blade bracer making it harder for enemies to spot;
- a special coat that covers gun holsters or the crossbow;
- different hidden blade designs that allow for different types of assassinations and effects.

What do you think? Some say Assassin's Creed should have a big variety of weapons but I like this idea nonetheless.

Sushiglutton
05-10-2013, 01:32 PM
Okay, well... no, in case of daggers and tomahawks (and swords btw, because I think they use the same animations too), you still don't have to replicate sets of animations.

Think about it this way, you have a class of objects: weapons. And this class has child classes: i.e. daggers, swords, tomahawks, heavy weapons, muskets (for this example, though there are more). And you have only two sets of animations (again, for this example, since there are more). So, what you do, is you add a variable (probably to the player class, I don't think it would be wise to add it to the weapon class) which set of animation is used depending on what child class of weapon is equipped. If it's a dagger, sword or tomahawk: set of animations #1, if it's heavy weapons and muskets: set of animations #2.

And what you do with the weapons themselves now (since they're all different sizes and forms and stuff like that) is that you add coordinate offsets to each weapon itself (which could be implemented as a variable in the child of the weapon child classes :D Or maybe there's a switch in the child class that sets the offset, or smth). so during animations themselves they would be in the right position.

This is all generally speaking, btw, it could be implemented in a different manner, but still the principles are the same: OOP (Object-Oriented Programming). It's about making a flexible system, much better than hardcoding everything for everything or duplicating the same stuff for different classes.

I was more thinking of the kill animations in my head. But you are right that they are seperate from the ingame moves (or wtf you guys call them lol). The latter can in large be the same with small adjustments. So they def don't have to redo all animations as I said, thanks for that correction! I still think combat should become narrower and deeper though.

I'm aware of the object-oriented way of thinking as I have worked some in Java and also sold a couple of Excel macros ;)