PDA

View Full Version : best in might and magic main series?

Ravens Klaws
05-06-2013, 09:35 PM
which do you think was the best in the might and magic main numbered series and why?
also ill reserve my thoughts about 10 until after the games released,as its only fair.
also this is ONLY the main games 1-9(well you can say 10 if you want but it hasnt been released) variant games such as might and magic heroes or the game they are based off,kings bounty or the various console based rpgs under the might and magic name i am not interested in reading about.

narupley
05-06-2013, 10:01 PM
Objectively, this is probably going to only pertain to M&M 5-7. In my mind it's clearly 7 because up until and including 7 the entries only got better, and NWC continually improved the gameplay / skills / etc.

Though, I'm sure nostalgia will play a role in a poll like this. Some people just have a soft spot for the first entry they started with (be it MM2, or 4, or 6, or whatever).

GrakorTheOrc
05-07-2013, 04:18 AM
Depends on what you mean by "best."

World of Xeen (4-5, I'll count them as one game since they were practically made to be played together) was the best of the turn-based games. Lots of stuff to do, puzzles to solve, and it was just a fun romp all the way through. It's probably my subjective favorite of the series, all told, just for its world.

MM6 gets top ranking in a lot of polls. The one thing that it has going for it is a huge world that allows a lot of exploration. The skill system is better than WoX's, but also stands as MM6's biggest flaw, being the extremely unbalanced gameplay and the very limited character options. No races, six classes, and most people will tell you that the best parties for MM6 have three sorcerers in them. Not counting MM9, I'd actually say MM6 is my least favorite of the real-time titles.

MM7 is my vote for the best of the real-time titles, since it distilled what worked in MM6's gameplay and changed what didn't. Lots more character options, improved the skill system, and so on. There were still balance issues (I simply don't understand what the devs were thinking with how they designed Rangers and Druids...) but it's much better on that front, and the good/evil mechanic allows for parties that play quite differently.

MM8 was...unusual. I felt the whole "recruit party members rather than make them" felt out of place in a Might and Magic title. The character variety was nice in this one, at least. I'd rank it over 6, though I'm sure lots of folks would argue that one.

So, for me...4-5 is my favorite, though I would say 7 is probably the "best."

forgottenl
05-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Of the old games I like MM3 the best. Of the new ones I have trouble picking from 6-8. I think from the overall world with its sense of unity, I liked might and magic 6 the best, I also thought although it had the least number of classes, they were the best internally balanced in mm6. I liked the variety of charachters in MM7. I also like the story the best. I like MM8 because it was different with its wierd race-classes, power struggles and what not. It was also strangely dark, despite the colourful graphics. It suffered from the worst internal balance though.

marcsm2008
05-21-2013, 05:29 PM
My favorite game in the series is Might and Magic 3. I loved the challenge, the world map and the variety of enemies. Most dungeons where just fun to explore, and the power orb colecting thingy made exploring the game a bliss. :)

Might and Magic 4 + 5 is also amazing, with that huge world map and all. But it felt easier than MM3, and the world map is more boring-looking.

MM6 onwards are great (up until 8, that is....), but I hated the free movement. I LOVED the step-based movement from MM 3-5, and I felt that MM6 onwards removed some strategic elements by adding free movement. They are still awesome, but too different. My fave of them is 6 thougs. :) It felt longer than 7.

And MM9... That game doesn't even count. It has some nice elements, but the game feels like an early beta version. Its incomplete, bugged, and the world seems to bland.

IronM0nkey
05-21-2013, 10:21 PM
M&M VII all the way. I still have this game installed on my pc. I love every single pixel of this game. The story was awesome and the references from older M&M titles are all over tha place, you see the heroes from Terra, the Lincoln and I can see my beloved Corak one last time.

Urieldagda
05-22-2013, 05:48 AM
I played through Might and Magic: World of Xeen repeatedly back in the day. Trying to play today sucks though, since I can't get a modern computer to reproduce the SoundBlaster AWE32 music. The non-midi SB16 music ruins the atmosphere, lol.

Kalthean
05-24-2013, 03:33 AM
I played through Might and Magic: World of Xeen repeatedly back in the day. Trying to play today sucks though, since I can't get a modern computer to reproduce the SoundBlaster AWE32 music. The non-midi SB16 music ruins the atmosphere, lol.

Same, World of Xeen is the one M&M game that I played repeatedly and enjoyed the most.

RDMKR777
06-04-2013, 10:30 AM
I've tried to play Xeen but I'm sorry, it was just too dated. MM6 is what I would call the cutest and most mysteriously attractive; I keep getting back to it. MM7 is the most reliably good and "mature" feeling game, whereas MM8 is the one with the most unrealized potential. IDK which I would choose as the "best". I don't think that label is very useful.

iprigg
06-04-2013, 01:17 PM
World of Xeen was fantastic back then. The best of the series for me.

Gribbish
06-04-2013, 08:43 PM
I actually Liked M&M II the best.. I actually managed to get it to run on my new PC in dos-emulation mode recently, but I need to find a way to ramp down the speed A LOT before it will be actually PLAYABLE :P

M&M III was my 2nd favorite. I've played the whole series from 1-7. 6 and 7s "free movement" turned me off of the series entirely,so I never tried 8 and 9.

Looking forward to a proper tile-based, turn-based M&M title in X a LOT.

--Gribbish (Yeah, I'm old-school, I like tactics over reflexes.)

supamancam
06-05-2013, 02:01 AM
I've never played MM1-3, so can't comment on those. As much as I loved WoX, I still can't go past 6-7. I mean, obviously there are some massive imbalances in both, but that's not even a slight issue to me.

I truly believe that if developers didn't focus so much on balancing every combination to the thousandth degree and focusing more on giving players options, games today would be a hell of a lot better.

Want to play a full melee party in MM6? Go ahead. Good luck without vampiric weapons. Want to play a 4 sorc party? Sure, enjoy nothing in the game being a challenge whatsoever. God i love Shrapmetal spam vs dragons. Want a further challenge? Sure, kill off any surplus characters.

It's just so.. gripping, enthralling, exciting to me to be in a big game world with so many options to choose, and I for one infinitely prefer free movement/combat over turn-based. And I'm not even an amazingly skilled twitch/reflex gamer, it's simply what I prefer - dodging arrows and spells, trying to keep distance between me and an angry horde, using terrain/corners to my advantage without purposely exploiting etc etc.

Anyways, on topic - MM6/MM7 for me. MM7's skill system made so much more sense to me than 6's. Seemed silly that just because you can learn a skill, you can automatically master it, i.e Sorcerers becoming master bodybuilders. MM6's world was infinitely more delightful to me - I still get shivers every time I zone into Darkmoor+Castle, I still get that awe-inspired feeling when I look at the architecture of VARN and Alamos. MM7 had some great dungeons but none of them felt anywhere NEAR as epic as MM6s. Not to mention I found MM6s characters to be slightly more endearing for whatever reason.

I never liked MM8, for some reason. Something just felt.. off to me, and I can't put my finger on it. My first playthrough, I remember randomly running into that Bone Dragon dungeon in the necromancer area, forget the name. Was running around like a madman trying to avoid being one-shot. Somehow ended up recruiting a level 50 Knight into my 10-12ish party, and that kinda killed the game for me. First impressions do count, after all. The absurd variation between zones kinda killed the immersion for me too.

TheMoorkh
06-06-2013, 11:20 PM
That would clearly have to be World of Xeen for me. Combining two games into a greater whole was part of the appeal, but I liked how - despite some clear shortcomings - everything seemed to fit together so well in this; gameplay, art design, plotline, tone, music, scope and atmosphere. While I was extremely excited about part 6 at the time (at the time I considered its landscape just one step from photorealism, mind!), I must say that it has not nearly aged as well, neither in my mine nor from the screenshots.

Mind7z
06-08-2013, 02:44 PM
MM3 on my Amiga was my favourite. After that MM7 ^^

Through you had free movement but you could just pause the game, which was very cool.

Ironfist84
06-17-2013, 05:47 PM
Without a doubt MM6 followed closely by MM8. New Sorpigal, Castle Ironfist and the big city of Free Haven you'd get lost in at first looked stunningly beautiful. And then the first in-game encounter with skeletons and sceptres in the foggy Myre of the Damned, creeped me out back then. MM8 had Murmurwood, "widescreen"-mode, great music and a cool beginning, good times fighting unicorns in the enchanted woods...

MM7 was a huge disappointment to follow-up on MM6 and i couldn't get into it back in the day, while it had not a bad storyline and I enjoyed arcomage as much as the next guy, there were no such cities or maps in MM7 that were even remotely good-looking or memorable. it was graphically pale and much less inspired, went with a dull soundtrack compared to the masterly crafted score of The Mandate Of Heaven and I always found it remarkable how the character portraits looked much less realistic, while the portraits in MM6 had almost a real-life picture feel to it (which was quite an amazing accomplishment for a game anno 1996). I wonder if there's anyone else who agrees with me, seems like MM7 is always hyped to the max in the series.

MM9 was barely playable but had a great soundtrack though, featuring some of the best in the entire series (opening theme track 6, track 12 and 14)

MM1-MM5 is for the real and original RPG-fans I guess, never tried it so I cannot judge.

1. MM6 5/5
2. MM8 4.5/5
3. MM7 3/5
4. MM9 2/5

narupley
06-17-2013, 09:24 PM
Without a doubt MM6 followed closely by MM8. New Sorpigal, Castle Ironfist and the big city of Free Haven you'd get lost in at first looked stunningly beautiful. And then the first in-game encounter with skeletons and sceptres in the foggy Myre of the Damned, creeped me out back then. MM8 had Murmurwood, "widescreen"-mode, great music and a cool beginning, good times fighting unicorns in the enchanted woods...

MM7 was a huge disappointment to follow-up on MM6 and i couldn't get into it back in the day, while it had not a bad storyline and I enjoyed arcomage as much as the next guy, there were no such cities or maps in MM7 that were even remotely good-looking or memorable. it was graphically pale and much less inspired, went with a dull soundtrack compared to the masterly crafted score of The Mandate Of Heaven and I always found it remarkable how the character portraits looked much less realistic, while the portraits in MM6 had almost a real-life picture feel to it (which was quite an amazing accomplishment for a game anno 1996). I wonder if there's anyone else who agrees with me, seems like MM7 is always hyped to the max in the series.

MM9 was barely playable but had a great soundtrack though, featuring some of the best in the entire series (opening theme track 6, track 12 and 14)

MM1-MM5 is for the real and original RPG-fans I guess, never tried it so I cannot judge.

1. MM6 5/5
2. MM8 4.5/5
3. MM7 3/5
4. MM9 2/5

You should really play the old games, especially IV and V. Poll after poll continues to reveal that after VI and VII, WoX (IV and V) is the most popular entry, for good reason.

Ironfist84
06-18-2013, 07:59 AM
You should really play the old games, especially IV and V. Poll after poll continues to reveal that after VI and VII, WoX (IV and V) is the most popular entry, for good reason.

fact is it's the MM atmosphere I've been a fan of and I was introduced to MM6 at the time. As I'm not a hardcore RPG player, the graphic gap between MM5 and MM6 is just too big for me and it doesn't appeal to me anymore anno 2013.
My statement here was about the downsides of MM7 however

eobet
06-18-2013, 10:59 AM
MM2 has a special kind of atmosphere that's still very dear to me (aging characters and also infinite level ups and 255 monsters in a battle), but World of Xeen is simply a masterpiece.

Is there any other game out there which lets you combine it's sequel to form a new game and wander freely between them?

HEF2011
06-18-2013, 12:19 PM
Is there any other game out there which lets you combine it's sequel to form a new game and wander freely between them?

Yes, they're called expansion packs.

narupley
06-18-2013, 02:24 PM
fact is it's the MM atmosphere I've been a fan of and I was introduced to MM6 at the time. As I'm not a hardcore RPG player, the graphic gap between MM5 and MM6 is just too big for me and it doesn't appeal to me anymore anno 2013.
My statement here was about the downsides of MM7 however

Well regarding your statement about the "downsides" of MM7, you're probably one of the only people in the world who holds that opinion. MMVII improved upon nearly everything from MMVI, including the turn-based movement system, skill system, better mob placement (*shudders* Darkmoor...), etc. The vast majority of people choose MMVI as the best entry in the series with MMVII as a close second, and I wouldn't be surprised if nostalgia was a primary factor in that. Objectively, I think most will agree that MMVII is the best entry.

Still though, your opinion as a Might & Magic fan means nothing unless you've at least played IV-VII. It's as if you're trying to give us your opinion on rock music without even having listened to The Beatles.

eobet
06-19-2013, 10:43 PM
Yes, they're called expansion packs.

Haha, no. Swords of Xeen was maybe an expansion pack to World of Xeen, but that game in itself was really the whole of MM4 and the whole of MM5 combined into a seamless experience.

Also, expansion packs can seldom be played without the original game, and even "stand alone" expansions of late can't be combined back into the main game!

HEF2011
06-20-2013, 11:36 AM
'Expansion pack' is merely a marketing term. Not all expansion packs have to adhere to strict rules in its combination to the original title.
The goal is to get the consumer excited about wanting to play an extended version of a video game.

eobet
06-20-2013, 07:56 PM
'Expansion pack' is merely a marketing term. Not all expansion packs have to adhere to strict rules in its combination to the original title.
The goal is to get the consumer excited about wanting to play an extended version of a video game.

Ok, but that wasn't my question, was it?

HEF2011
06-21-2013, 01:11 AM
I have absolutely no idea what your question was.

solohanssolo
06-23-2013, 04:39 PM
XEEN is best.

Kmanfree
06-23-2013, 06:09 PM
I one up the Xeen games, they were very well done, but past them Might and Magic 7 was good in it's own right, but still not as good as the Xeen games.

Ironfist84
06-24-2013, 01:44 PM
Well regarding your statement about the "downsides" of MM7, you're probably one of the only people in the world who holds that opinion. MMVII improved upon nearly everything from MMVI, including the turn-based movement system, skill system, better mob placement (*shudders* Darkmoor...), etc. The vast majority of people choose MMVI as the best entry in the series with MMVII as a close second, and I wouldn't be surprised if nostalgia was a primary factor in that. Objectively, I think most will agree that MMVII is the best entry.

lol... already one example of the many

I've never played MM1-3, so can't comment on those. As much as I loved WoX, I still can't go past 6-7. I mean, obviously there are some massive imbalances in both, but that's not even a slight issue to me.

Anyways, on topic - MM6/MM7 for me. MM7's skill system made so much more sense to me than 6's. Seemed silly that just because you can learn a skill, you can automatically master it, i.e Sorcerers becoming master bodybuilders. MM6's world was infinitely more delightful to me - I still get shivers every time I zone into Darkmoor+Castle, I still get that awe-inspired feeling when I look at the architecture of VARN and Alamos. MM7 had some great dungeons but none of them felt anywhere NEAR as epic as MM6s. Not to mention I found MM6s characters to be slightly more endearing for whatever reason.

also you said

Still though, your opinion as a Might & Magic fan means nothing unless you've at least played IV-VII. It's as if you're trying to give us your opinion on rock music without even having listened to The Beatles.

thank you for your input. it's clear then I am not directing my comments to hardcorefans like you but to the many other players that were introduced to post mm5-era. So it would be like giving your opinion about alt.rock music to a Beatles-fan that never grew out of it and had never even heard of Pavement. I'm not going to argue about how much better MM6 was than MM7, to each his own. most reviews i've seen hold mm6 higher than mm7
peace out

forgottenl
06-24-2013, 03:18 PM
most reviews i've seen hold mm6 higher than mm7
peace out

Its amusing you point this out, because I just read a Might and Magic retrospective in Gamestar. There the reviewer argues that Might and Magic 6 was "better" because it was a milestone, both graphically and systematically, while Might and Magic 7 was technologically outdated when it came out and had far fewer innovations. Still he says more or less that Might and Magic 7 was the more refined game. Just when looking at it in comparison to other games of its time it was worse. Hopefully that makes sense.

Ironfist84
06-24-2013, 03:23 PM
yeah indeed, that's what I meant in my original comment, mm7 was graphically disappointing to play after the epic world of mm6

forgottenl
06-24-2013, 03:27 PM
I can agree with that. I did find part 7 the more interesting game in terms of gameplay, though, with its factions and having the rebuild your castle as central features. This has been reused countless times in more modern games, but at the time, I think it was pretty unusual.

narupley
06-24-2013, 04:09 PM
yeah indeed, that's what I meant in my original comment, mm7 was graphically disappointing to play after the epic world of mm6

Don't you think it's wrong to judge a game based on what the current level of graphical capabilities happens to be? For an example, Capcom released Mega Man 9 in 2008, keeping the same look and feel as the previous main entry, despite being 12 years later. And it was awesome.

If NWC had released MMVII before MMVI (or if you had played VII first), you would be saying the opposite (ignoring other improvements to movement/skills/etc). Your perspective on video games is, sadly, representative of many other children these days.

Ravens Klaws
06-24-2013, 09:29 PM
all i can say to anyone arguing with the point of graphics on a might and magic game is lmao. really? might and magic games are well known to be rubbish in the graphics department!
sides the graphics didn't change much 6-8, same engine.
though i will say 7 looks far more cleaned up from 6, as 6 looked like a mess, and still resembled its predecessors a lot.

Ironfist84
06-25-2013, 12:57 PM
Don't you think it's wrong to judge a game based on what the current level of graphical capabilities happens to be? For an example, Capcom released Mega Man 9 in 2008, keeping the same look and feel as the previous main entry, despite being 12 years later. And it was awesome.

I think you didn't get my comment, I played MM7 in 2000 and I found it back then graphically disappointing after having played mm6

Ironfist84
06-25-2013, 12:59 PM
I can agree with that. I did find part 7 the more interesting game in terms of gameplay, though, with its factions and having the rebuild your castle as central features. This has been reused countless times in more modern games, but at the time, I think it was pretty unusual.

I agree, that was the good and innovative part of mm7, the gameplay was surely excellent

Gwyndion
06-25-2013, 05:50 PM
I would have to go with Might & Magic 2 simply because it was the first one in the series I actually played. At the time I was convinced that the game was performing some sort of black magic because I had never seen a game look so good on my Apple IIe. It's difficult to believe that this was the same machine I played Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord (with black and white line-drawn dungeons) on. I remember I got the game for my birthday just before going on vacation. I brought the book and map with me and just poured over that stuff for hours and days. I couldn't wait to get home and tear into it. Sadly, I never did finish that game... back in those days I rarely did finish games. But I had a blast playing it!

But MAN, games were hard back then! In that game, similar to Wizardry.. it was not unusual to just lose your entire part out in the middle of nowhere... are have something horrible happen to a main character and have to make the call to just let it be! It was difficult... but it sure put the sense of adventure into you! Good times... good times...

QueHegan
06-30-2013, 12:31 PM
The best part of this Series?
Might & Magic 7...For Blood and Honor !

The possibility of the character development, by the decision to good or evil, with graphically changed UI, has looked already very good only. Nevertheless, the great classes in addition and the separation also in the play expiry then, were authoritative.
The atmosphere was dense and round.
Ok, the M&M row was always strongly laid out on the magicians, because these were with her spells, at the end the highlight. Because close fighters supplied practically only figures and one saw no manoeuvres real.

M&M lived practically always on the character development, new magic learns, points distribute, Quets solve around an improved class to have and for it bulky monsters finish and comb gloomy Dungeons.
The main story pushed only more by the end before the motivating contents development.

Fun made which one was not able to do also immediately immediately everywhere there. One had to struggle only by a tunnel to go through an even heavier Dungeon then still to be then in the legendary areas, this was in part 6 also thus with the paradise valley etc.

This was also excellent of course.

However, I was rather sad always then that I was already so far, because then the best lay behind me from the play to become a powerful Lich and to make my group members zombies.

I hope one can play through his character in a higher degree of difficulty with improved magic versions (also optically) then over again, nevertheless, this would be what.
Immediately still with new areas in the Dungeons which were closed in the degree of difficulty Normally.

M&M looked always very mysterious anyhow, I hope one gets also with part 10 to catch again this atmosphere and gives to us to fantastic character development and to great magic effects. Well and Bad separation also after classes I would be completely inspired and not all magic simply with the guild shops, but in play find, somewhere by chance hidden, what would also be;)

Greetings

Willey
06-30-2013, 03:59 PM
The first MM I had was MM3, but it didn't run on my A500 back then - I still think it didn't run because I didn't have a HDD, but IIRC the manual said it would run without HDD... weird :D
The first MM I played was MM5, without Clouds. Later I bought 3, 4 and 5 in a magazine called "Bestseller Games" and so I was able to finally play MM3 and World of Xeen.

MM3 is great on it's own... Xeen has the better world & quests and nicer graphics. Back then I missed having the 2 extra chars in Xeen, but actually they're really hard to pay at higher levels, so it's better not to have them at all in MM3 :D
I think MM5 was the hardest, but also the most rewarding of the three. Remember those Armadillos before reaching Standcaster? Those buggers gave me nightmares... My best tactic against them was to pull them to a river, get across and kill them with ranged weapons and magic, but this took ages :D And I never managed to kill the Mega Dragon... :( Also I've never beaten the crossword riddle, but if I've seen it right, there were one or two questions with unlogical answers in the German Version. Looks like I have to play it again (have started and stopped at level 10 already like 2 years ago after finishing MM3 again :D)
By the way, the Xeens (also Swords of Xeen which I just had a quick peer at, after getting it via GOG.com) run quite well on Android phones with Dosbox Turbo (Galaxy S3 here, the music lags a tiny little bit, but otherwise it's perfect). MM3 doesn't because of the control bug/feature that lets you hold the left mouse button to run through the world or attack until you release the button.

Then came MM6... I was looking forward ti it and I loved it when it has been released, even though my rig had a hard time with it (Win 95 on a 486DX2 80MHz). The soundtrack was (and still is) really awesome and does a lot for the atmosphere. I didn't like that the tracks were not in repeat (at least an option would have been great) so I often just saved an reloaded :D
I like the overall world design... even the dungeons. Actually back then, I reallay hated them for being so huge... but they're quite fancy and some are just epic. Back then the last zones gave me a hard time. I don't know why, but all the dragons and titans respawned after 3-7 ingame days, which made it impossible to clear the areas... in my later playthough some years ago it was all OK.

MM7 was geat... it was OK for me that the graphics weren't better (still bilinear filter and some other effects had been added), but that game made good things of MM6 better. I haven't beaten it because I had skilled my party badly (like one mage having all elements at the same level) and had no chance against the titans... BTW, MM7 had a very huge drawback... the first German pressing came without soundtrack... Epic Fail :D
Arcomage was great fun... I really loved to just go in a tavern and play :)

I still don't know why, but I haven't had MM8... bought it afterwards (original box and on GOG.com), but I still have to play it.

MM9 was kind of different... a bit like HoMM4... it was good, but not the same. Haven't beaten it, too :D But in that case IIRC because it got boring some time :D

And now I'm waiting for MM X :)

I could play Xeen, Swords, 7 and 8 or even try 1 and 2 in meatime :D

In my opinion World of Xeen is the best, closely followed by MM3 and MM7. It's hard to tell... 4+5 is better than 3 and 7 is better than 6... I don't know 8 yet. But it's hard to compare 3-5 to 6-8, they're like different games in the same universe which are all great. But the best fact is: They're not mainstream :)

WTFisthisubi
07-01-2013, 11:34 AM
MM7 was the pinnacle of the series for me. The earlier games were wonderful but MM6 gave the series a modern game engine and brilliant music. Its only real flaw was that it took its time getting started on the plot. MM7 built on that with a strong plot from the outset, plus creative level design and even better music - oh and Arcomage! MM8 seemed a little bit too much "more of the same" and while they tried to inject even more creativity into the level design, they were fighting against the fact that the engine was really showing its limitations.

xapharblock
07-01-2013, 09:57 PM
I'd have to say Might and Magic VII was the best, they really nailed all the elements of what an RPG should be. The exploration, the item variety, the combat, the music, the story, etc. At the time it really was something special. 1-3 are meh. 4,5, and 6 are good but lacked the content and polish of 7. 8 is just a bad version of 7. Might and Magic 9 was a total disaster and was universally despised. I sincerely hope they plan on bringing back the in game card game Arcomage, or something similar. For inspiration they really need to take a close look at 7.

Ravens Klaws
07-02-2013, 10:15 PM
regarding arcomage check out my thread about the game.
to put it short they can't bring arcomage back as the place where 6-8 took place was destroyed, but theres an upgraded form of arcomage called archmage on the android.
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/777731-regarding-arcomage

Zaboron1979
07-03-2013, 06:34 PM
For me MM7 is the best. The good/evil choice, arcomage and the skill system are realy nice.

Ravens Klaws
07-03-2013, 08:33 PM
if anyone wonders why i haven't answered my own question its because i can't.
i haven't finished 6 yet due to only getting it recently.
7 is awesome and probably my vote as best.
8 is the eisiest. get dragon=win.
9 is alright, but mostly more of an introduction to might and magic than an actual entry.

dbouya
07-07-2013, 10:24 AM
I'd say it's only fair to count 4/5 as one game, and it was my favorite, I've played it through so many times even years after I last play I still have memorized all the riddle answers. it's just fabulous so much charm, such great pacing.

mm6 is a really fabulous game but being the first "3d" game I think the engine suffered a bit in that mm6 actually looks worse to me than mm5. then there's 8, I like 8 better than 7, yeah it was poorly balanced and cheesy but the world really just popped for me. so my favorites in order are world of xeen, 8, 6. I've never played 1-3 though.

Synthets
07-09-2013, 11:18 PM
should have been a pool . but 7 was by far the best mm.
Wasnt restricted to turn based but still had the option. Decent story. good classes. Good spells and by far the best dungeons of any of the series.

Ravens Klaws
07-10-2013, 02:39 PM
id thought about putting it as a poll, but i want to hear peoples thoughts on why it was their fav game as apposed to simply clicking an option.
i figured it would help the devs a little as well, give them something to work with as to why the general m&m populus like those games or complain about things they didn't like.

xotrem13
07-11-2013, 06:44 PM
4 and 5 were the best and you could combine them to make a third storyline

qwertyabcdefg
07-26-2013, 09:41 PM
MM 6 was the best no doubt about that. Was it perfectly balanced? Of course not but it was the best might and magic game. I still play it once in a great while to this day and I swear it has optional grid based or free move as an option.

NIJAN123
07-26-2013, 10:46 PM
I'd say 7. I also enjoyed 6 and 8 alot, each for their own reasons. 8 had been great if not for the somewhat poorly thought through party swap system, and of course.. dragons.

Ironfist84
08-15-2013, 05:26 PM
also the music from mm6 (and even mm8) felt more memorable than mm7: the themes, the melodies, I can still recall them up till now. When replaying mm7 recently, I changed the music files by a compilation of the best of the mm6, mm8 and mm9 soundtrack to make it epic

jparsons1111
08-16-2013, 04:47 AM
My first Might and Magic was 4 and 5. I thought they were great. I have played 3-9, I think MM6 was by far the best game ever of any series. My least favorite entry was MM7. I absolutely despise MM7 and I think that in a sense, MM7 was for me the end of the series.

Let me explain. In MM6, as in 3 4 and 5, players were allowed to make tons of in game decisions. True, you were limited in races and classes, but once the game began, there were so many in game decisions to be made. You could decide how quickly you wanted to explore the world, if it was worthwhile to make your sorcerer a body building expert, when to do promotion quest, and even if you wanted to have a sci-fi ending in the game. In MM7. all those choices were taken away from the player and made by the programmer in advance

For example, in MM6, players were allowed to choose how quickly they wanted to explore the world. When I first played the game, I decided to beat all the quests in New Sorpigal, Castle Ironfist, and Mist, before moving on to Free Haven. My characters were 40th level when they arrived at White Cap for the first time The second time I played the game, I was in Silver Cove at level 10, and tried to found a way to do the Priest promotion quests. As a player, I was not forced to explore the world at once, I could choose to explore the world as quickly or as slowly as I wanted to.

In MM7 there was no choice. Every quest seemed to be as far from the quest giver as possible, forcing the player to explore quickly. There was no possibility of exploring the world slowly, as there had been in MM6. In MM6, the player had a choice, in MM7, the choice was taken away from the player.

In MM6, the player was allowed to develop and master almost any skill they wanted to. In MM6, the player had a choice. In MM&, the choice was taken away from the player.

In MM6, there were large dungeons with shortcuts; giving the player the option of fighting all the creatures or of taking the shortcut. For example, when I first played MM6, it took me an entire weekend to complete Castle Darkmoor. The second time I played the game, it took me only 40 minutes to get the item from Darkmoor. The large dungeon with a shortcut concept was cut from MM7.

In MM6, the player could choose to do a second promotion quest before another character had received the first promotion, In MM7, that choice was taken from the player.

And finally, at the end of the game, the player was given the choice of having a sci-fi ending. If the player liked the sci-fi ending, the player could use blasters. If the player thought that the sci-fi element was out of place, the player was able to use his swords, spells, etc. to fight in the final dungeon. In MM7, that choice was taken from the player, the player had to go to a spaceship filled with robots.

A few comments about the earlier games. I think the thing that made me want to play Word of Xeen (the game I played first) was that there were so many choice. What skills did I want, what spells did I want to buy for my archer (buying spells for anyone but a sorcerer or cleric was expensive) what areas did me want to explore, or not want to explore? I felt that Might and Magic 6 was the climax of the Might and Magic experience. MM6 gave the player many in game decisions. Then, in Might and Magic 7, the in-game decision making was dramatically curtailed.

By the way, the story of MM7 is not very good. The primary quests in MM7 seemed to be to go into a secured area invisibly and steal something or kill someone. But, if every sorcerer has the invisibility spell, don't you think there would be invisibility detectors for all secure areas?

Sorry for going on for so long, As you can tell, I really enjoyed Might and Magic 6 and I did not like how Might and Magic 7 changed the series.

deadlybunny
08-16-2013, 08:16 AM
Might and Magic VI : The Mandate of Heaven, hands down. This game is on my 10 greatest games of all time.

del180824051615
08-17-2013, 05:06 PM
Best Might and Magic for me is MM III: Isle of Terra!. That is the best Might & Magic memories i ever had :). Might & Magic is really an awesome franchise. I really hope to see a Might & Magic franchise branch out to be honest. Top down action RPG, or first person open-world (not MMO) Might & Magic.

Too bad Ubisoft too blinded with milking the Creeds. They failed to see Might & Magic universe potential ala Skyrim. They didnt know how much copies Skyrim sold though.

narupley
08-17-2013, 07:35 PM
Best Might and Magic for me is MM III: Isle of Terra!. That is the best Might & Magic memories i ever had :). Might & Magic is really an awesome franchise. I really hope to see a Might & Magic franchise branch out to be honest. Top down action RPG, or first person open-world (not MMO) Might & Magic.

Too bad Ubisoft too blinded with milking the Creeds. They failed to see Might & Magic universe potential ala Skyrim. They didnt know how much copies Skyrim sold though.

I hope Might & Magic NEVER becomes anything like Skyrim. That game is a CRPG for people who suck at CRPGs (and/or don't know what CRPGs should be). Everyone and their grandma can play it because it requires so little brain power. If Ubisoft/Limbic ever starts implementing things like a quest marker/compass or level scaling, that will be the indomitable end of the series, even more so than MMIX was.