PDA

View Full Version : Best Assassin Mentor? Spoilers

Wolfmeister1010
05-06-2013, 03:02 AM
Here is a NEW discussion that I don't believe has been on this forum yet. This poll is about who you think is the best assassin mentor. Our candidates are...

Al Mualim (mentor of Altair)

Mario Auditore ( mentor of Ezio)

Achilles (Mentor of Ratonhnketon)

Even though Ezio and Altair were "mentors" themselves, I am not including them because this is about the non protagonist mentors of our beloved assassins.*

Here are my personal opinions.

Al Mualim:

Al Mualim was supposedly a very wise, and true mentor, and only after his contact with the apple did he become corrupt and evil. From the "Secret Crusade" novel, it seems that Al Mualim was very serious and strict, but also honorable, and acted as a father to Altair. As seen in AC1, Al Mualim basically knows everything about everything about everything, and has a philosophical view on just about any issue, regarding tyrants, to Templars, to the meaning of life. He can also be acknowledged as the puppet master behind one of the most insane and unbelievable plot twist betrayals in gaming history.*

Summary: He is a very wise and honorable man, and only after his corruption from the apple did he become hated by me.*

Rating: 7.75/10

Mario:

This flamboyant Uncle of Mario was introduced to us in a funny Super Mario Bros easter egg in AC2, and stuck around until his death in Brotherhood. Upon meeting him, he seemed like a cool dude, but after a series of events, I began to hate him. First of all, not only did he let his entire town fall apart, but his greatest nemesis is a 17 year old rich boy, Vieri! Really Mario? Kinda lame. *Also, after bringing Ezio (who is exhausted and devastated by his Family's death) to his Villa, he should have just helped him and his family get recovered, and help get them to safety. But NOOOOO, Mario immediately wants his nephew to do all his dirty work and kill Vieri for him. When Ezio understandably refuses, saying he just needs to get his family to safety, Mario starts *****ing about how his father would be ashamed of him, and how he is so selfish, and then proceeds to run off to his room in his crumpling house LIKE A *****. He is risking the lives of his exhausted and devastated sister in law, niece, and nephew, just because he is mad that Ezio wont do his work for him. Then, after Ezio finally joins Mario in his fight, Mario gets dollar signs in his eyes, and forces Claudia to run the town and villa. So, he can have Ezio fighting his battles, Claudia bringing in the money and fixing the town, and he can just bask in his easy life. The only thing he ever did good was teach Ezio how to dodge.*

Rating: 1.5/10

Achilles:

Achilles was the wise old master of the colonial assassins until his order was destroyed by Haytham and his pals. Thus, Achilles was left to live in shame in his crumpling house, having to deal with the loss of his order, and the loss of his wife and son, Connor. Unlike Mario, Achilles had an excuse to not renovate the manor, because he was like 80. When Ratonhnketon comes, Achilles at first denies to mentor him, because of all the bad memories it brings back. But after seeing Ratonhnketon camp out and fight off some bad guys, Achilles has a change of heart, and realizes that the young native boy might be able to help put a stop to the templars. He demonstrates his bad assery and fighting abilities by killing the rest of the bad guy bandits.*He then proceeds to take in the boy and treat him*like a son, and train him in all forms of education, from history, to fighting, to stealth, over the course of a few years. He gradually grows to love Ratonhnhketon as his own, and even bestows him as Connor after his dead son in a subtle moment that made me cry. He stands by Connor for the rest of his life, and deals with Connor's struggles, insults, and anger, and helps Connor learn and become more mature. He then dies in a heart breaking moment, and leaves behind a letter proclaiming that he was proud of Connor. He spent the whole rest of his life helping Connor become the man he was. He lived his while life in hardship and suffering. He also can be credited for being hilarious. Since he was born in the Caribbean and lived during the time of Edward Kenway, I sincerely hope that he appears in Black Flag.

Rating: 10/10

Thanks guys, please comment and participate in the poll!

Assassin_M
05-06-2013, 03:07 AM
I swear to god if Rosa wins this...

Megas_Doux
05-06-2013, 03:16 AM
i swear to god if rosa wins this...

lol.....
I would not underestimate trolls or fanboys. though.....

x___Luffy___x
05-06-2013, 03:19 AM
Achilles definitely.

shobhit7777777
05-06-2013, 04:54 AM
Rosa - Taught Ezio to jump higher

OF COURSE she wins "Mentor of the Year"

Assassin_M
05-06-2013, 05:09 AM
Rosa - Taught Ezio to jump higher

OF COURSE she wins "Mentor of the Year"
You voted Almualim you liar

I-Like-Pie45
05-06-2013, 05:13 AM
Yusuf deserves the award.

He after all, mentored Ezio in the ways of putting a manly man's blade in the hook.

ZeSpecter
05-06-2013, 07:50 AM
I voted Al Mualim, but after reading this:

Achilles was the wise old master of the colonial assassins until his order was destroyed by Haytham and his pals. Thus, Achilles was left to live in shame in his crumpling house, having to deal with the loss of his order, and the loss of his wife and son, Connor. Unlike Mario, Achilles had an excuse to not renovate the manor, because he was like 80. When Ratonhnketon comes, Achilles at first denies to mentor him, because of all the bad memories it brings back. But after seeing Ratonhnketon camp out and fight off some bad guys, Achilles has a change of heart, and realizes that the young native boy might be able to help put a stop to the templars. He demonstrates his bad assery and fighting abilities by killing the rest of the bad guy bandits.*He then proceeds to take in the boy and treat him*like a son, and train him in all forms of education, from history, to fighting, to stealth, over the course of a few years. He gradually grows to love Ratonhnhketon as his own, and even bestows him as Connor after his dead son in a subtle moment that made me cry. He stands by Connor for the rest of his life, and deals with Connor's struggles, insults, and anger, and helps Connor learn and become more mature. He then dies in a heart breaking moment, and leaves behind a letter proclaiming that he was proud of Connor. He spent the whole rest of his life helping Connor become the man he was. He lived his while life in hardship and suffering. He also can be credited for being hilarious. Since he was born in the Caribbean and lived during the time of Edward Kenway, I sincerely hope that he appears in Black Flag.

I'm pretty sure I would have voted Achilles if I could cange my vote.

LoyalACFan
05-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Al Mualim was probably the most effective (in that he radically changed Altair's view on life in a span of a few months) but I absolutely love Achilles for the fact that he's flawed. He DID let the Order crumble on his watch. He DID wrongly tell Connor that in helping the colonists, he would help his people. And, perhaps most of all, he failed to tell Connor how much he loved him before he died. So Achilles gets my vote, perhaps not as the most effective mentor, but the best character.

Oh, and his cane is total badassery. That gets him a bonus point :p

Sushiglutton
05-06-2013, 10:47 AM
Mario because he understood that there is nothing wrong with enjoying yourself every now and then, even if you take your mission seriously. More often than not the overall performance will get better if you know how to relax and have a good time. I guess Mario is one of the reasons Ezio turned out to be such a great chap, while the other two were kind of miserable.

roostersrule2
05-06-2013, 10:55 AM
What you said about Mario is arguably one of the stupidest things I'v ever read.
1. He did not just let his village get destroyed, he died trying to save it actually.
2. His greatest nemesis's were the Templars, Vieri was one. In saying that it he was wealthy, had power and was protected by a plethora of guards.
3. All he wanted was for Ezio to continue his fathers work and do some good in this world, if Mario didn't pressure him into being an Assassin, well then the Templars would have had control for centuries and there would have been no hope of saving the world.

Sushiglutton
05-06-2013, 11:01 AM
What you said about Mario is arguably one of the stupidest things I'v ever read.
1. He did not just let his village get destroyed, he died trying to save it actually.
2. His greatest nemesis's were the Templars, Vieri was one. In saying that it he was wealthy, had power and was protected by a plethora of guards.
3. All he wanted was for Ezio to continue his fathers work and do some good in this world, if Mario didn't pressure him into being an Assassin, well then the Templars would have had control for centuries and there would have been no hope of saving the world.

Have no idea how those three points is related to what I said, but good read.

roostersrule2
05-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Have no idea how those three points is related to what I said, but good read.
I wasn't talking to you?

Sushiglutton
05-06-2013, 11:06 AM
I wasn't talking to you?

And suddenly it becomes a lot clearer ;)

ACfan443
05-06-2013, 11:27 AM
Why is Rosa even included in the poll...

roostersrule2
05-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Why is Rosa even included in the poll...She taught Ezio how to jump higher.

montagemik
05-06-2013, 12:28 PM
Sorry , i can't vote until Altair is included in the line up ............a greater influence over the Assassin order than any other 'Mentor'

pacmanate
05-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Al Mualim had a great impact on Altair, he helped shape him into what we now know him as. If it wasn't for Al Mualim teaching Altair the error of his ways he would probably stay as reckless as he was at the start of AC1.

montagemik
05-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Al Mualim had a great impact on Altair, he helped shape him into what we now know him as. If it wasn't for Al Mualim teaching Altair the error of his ways he would probably stay as reckless as he was at the start of AC1.

And without Altair the Order would still be following the corrupted orders/influence of Al mualim .......... Altair was a pawn for a time - But a king for far longer .

xboxauditore
05-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Mario, He taught Ezio how to fight, how to carefully an an attack and taught him that killing a target isn't something you should enjoy, it's something you do because it's part of being an assassin.

SixKeys
05-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Al Mualim had the best understanding of the creed, even though he turned his back on it eventually. I still love his discussions with Alta´r. Mario was a bit too brash, he could sometimes let his emotions get the better of him. Achilles annoyed me (from a mentor perspective, not as a character) because he had given up on the brotherhood entirely. He was constantly discouraging Connor from even trying to make a difference. So my vote goes to Al Mualim.

AvK KiNgKoBrA
05-06-2013, 04:52 PM
Wow how Biased can the OP be:confused:

Bastiaen
05-06-2013, 05:05 PM
Achilles was by far the most complex/ interesting character as a mentor. While Mario had some good moments, he was mostly just kind of annoying (I still love his Mario Bros. Reference).
Al Mualim is a close second behind Achilles.

lothario-da-be
05-06-2013, 05:57 PM
This was a very hard choice, took Achillis because he feels the most human.

SleezeRocker
05-06-2013, 07:35 PM
Hmmm despite Al betraying his own Order, I think he was good mentor. Had good wise knowledge and understanding. Personality-wise he's more like your maybe hated Math teacher or something: You do the work but will keeping stabbin your back (literally?) to MAKE you do better lol

Whereas Achilles, though defeated, his was very calm and very human. Kind of like the old man you'd want to know history stories from. though I'll be honest, we don't get to see too much Achilles mentoring Connor, but he still did his best to keep his cool even when Connor bit the hand that fed him. Plus achilles did burn Connor several times (You think you can just wear those robes and call yourself an Assassin?....*I forget the lines but it's among:* Oh sure you can go, just leave the hidden blades, the Rope dart, the robes....oh and the years of training)

Mario had an understanding of the Creed...but I don't think he really acted on it (kind of think about, it seems with age, the Creed starts kind of dying out). Plus he was primarily a Mercenary, with just some Creed behind his actions.

Rosa...well w/o her Ezio could never reached those routes up in case should he fall XDD

Sigh.....in the End.....I think I'd want Achilles as my instructor and had the best personality so I choose Achilles ;)

hlms-4896
05-06-2013, 08:23 PM
I dont know except mario and al-muliam only played ac1 and ac2 so far

between the 2, gotta go with al-muliam