PDA

View Full Version : Realy, Ubisoft?

thecodeman715
05-05-2013, 03:19 PM
http://www.oxm.co.uk/53346/features/assassins-creed-4-ubisoft-talks-next-gen-versions-dlc-and-new-combat-tactics/?page=2

"[Q:]What defines Edward Kenway as a character? What makes him stand apart from Ezio, Altair and Connor?

[A:] Previous assassins have always been driven by a sense of duty or revenge, or sometimes even both. Edward's motivations are purely selfish: he fights for glory. He has the skills of an Assassin, but he doesn't use them for the Creed. He is, at heart, a pirate. And he's not a "good" pirate like you see in children's tales - he is a criminal with a taste for infamy.

Couple that with the fact that he is trained by the Assassins, and you can see that there is a lot to explore here. How does a criminal, who is only looking out for himself, reconcile these two different philosophies? The clash between these two ideologies within Edward is one of the most exciting things about him."

Okay, so Edward is a Pirate trained by Assassins, so not an Assassin, but has their skills. Doesn't go by the Creed, does what he wants for selfish reasons, doesn't that sound like a Templar? Do what they want to better themselves. Am I reading this wrong, can someone clear this up? So, to me, It sounds like Ubisoft is just trying be popular by putting out a game that would be full of action, and screw over the fundimentals of the franchise just for a couple of new fans, leaving the life-time fans to suffer. Thoughts? Don't starting hating, if you have a different opinion say it, please without insulting people.

ProletariatPleb
05-05-2013, 03:27 PM
When was the last time one of them actually worked for the creed and didn't have a personal agenda? 2007?

silvermercy
05-05-2013, 03:30 PM
I kinda agree...

To date it seems he's the least... assassin-like Assassin. Most immoral, too. It would be nice to see the battle between the two conflicting ideologies but I think we play as a pirates for most of the game, so the maturation process I'm hoping to see won't happen until the very end, which I find sad...

thecodeman715
When was the last time one of them actually worked for the creed and didn't have a personal agenda? 2007?

But they still followed the Creed, apparently unlike Edward, who just screws it over.

Farlander1991
And the problem is...?

I personally don't see the issue here.
Point a) Edward Kenway as we know him from the Forsaken novel is a wise mentor to young Haytham.
Point b) Edward Kenway as he starts out in Black Flag a decade prior to Haytham's birth is a selfish person trained by Assassins but caring only about personal glory.
Ergo:
We're going to see what **** in his life is going to happen that is going to realign his priorities and change him as a person and find out what his personal interpretation of the Creed is going to be and how he is going to fight for it (because, let's face it, each Assassin has his own personal interpretation of the Creed).

thecodeman715
05-05-2013, 03:34 PM
And the problem is...?

I personally don't see the issue here.
Point a) Edward Kenway as we know him from the Forsaken novel is a wise mentor to young Haytham.
Point b) Edward Kenway as he starts out in Black Flag a decade prior to Haytham's birth is a selfish person trained by Assassins but caring only about personal glory.
Ergo:
We're going to see what **** in his life is going to happen that is going to realign his priorities and change him as a person and find out what his personal interpretation of the Creed is going to be and how he is going to fight for it (because, let's face it, each Assassin has his own personal interpretation of the Creed).

I just feel like if we are playing an Assassin's Creed game, the character would, I don't know, Follow the Creed.

dxsxhxcx
05-05-2013, 03:37 PM

that's true (and a shame), I miss those days, it seems we'll have to wait a little longer to have a "proper" Assassin as protagonist again.

thecodeman715
05-05-2013, 03:40 PM
that's true (and a shame), I miss those days, it seems we'll have to wait a little longer to have a "proper" Assassin as protagonist again.

I just wish Ubisoft would stop listening to their already full wallets, and listen to the fans they already have!

Farlander1991
I just feel like if we are playing an Assassin's Creed game, the character would, I don't know, Follow the Creed.

Well, he will follow it eventually.

I don't see the problem in having a multiple array of characters with different personalities and approaches to the Creed (including the 'screw the Creed', which we know already is not going to be Edwards constant state).

Besides, it's not like Ezio cared THAT much about the Creed for a greater part of his own main title (it was more about his personal vendetta), and yet people don't seem to see an issue with that. (Although, I will agree that even then Ezio was more of a Creed-follower than Edward in his prime was, but... still).

Hell, AC1 starts out with a character who totally screws the Creed over for his own arrogant selfish purposes.

Megas_Doux
Wait and see, it is all I have to say...

thecodeman715
05-05-2013, 03:41 PM
Well, he will follow it eventually.

I don't see the problem in having a multiple array of characters with different personalities and approaches to the Creed (including the 'screw the Creed', which we know already is not going to be Edwards constant state).

Besides, it's not like Ezio cared THAT much about the Creed for a greater part of his own main title (it was more about his personal vendetta), and yet people don't seem to see an issue with that. (Although, I will agree that even then Ezio was more of a Creed-follower than Edward in his prime was, but... still).

Hell, AC1 starts out with a character who totally screws the Creed over for his own arrogant selfish purposes.

Haha, yep. But all we can do is wait for the game to be released...

Megas_Doux
05-05-2013, 03:43 PM
But they still followed the Creed, apparently unlike Edward, who just screws it over.

Ezio did the following:

1 Killed MANY civilians during his Capadoccia infiltration.
2 Ezio has been the most "notorious" assassin feautured in the series, he revealed his alliegiance to many people he had just been introduced to aka AC2. Live at this very prominent villa decorated with HUGE assassin banners all over the place. Yealed "vittoria agli assassini" in the middle of the city, at noon...
2 AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND, compromised the brotherhood my having Yusuf, a leader or the order,to protect the girl he loved "just because", and then almost lost a VERY important asset, the masyaf keys a potential war turning object, in the process....

See????

And in fact I like it that way, it makes all of them DIFFERENT! And at the same time, it allows us, the fans, to have their own favorite, mines are Altair and Connor, by the way...

Sushiglutton
05-05-2013, 04:07 PM
If the assassins followed the creed like robots the game would be kind of dull I think. I'm looking forward to follow rebel-Edward and his adventures. Also this: "The clash between these two ideologies within Edward is one of the most exciting things about him." means the creed will play a big role as one of the two conflicting ideologies.

ACfan443
05-05-2013, 04:08 PM
This has been my biggest problem with BF ever since it was mentioned in a video interview. I feel like the series is losing its direction, it should first and foremost be an ASSASSIN'S CREED game, and have primary focus on assassins, and the protagonist should be an assassin, not just 'a pirate trained by them'. With how they've described the plot so far, the 'Assassin's Creed' title on the box art feels incredibly out of place.

ArabianFrost
05-05-2013, 04:20 PM
Basically, he is saying we have a moral conflict between Edward and The creed; and another moral conflict with the creed and Templar ideology, possibly with Edward's greed negatively affecting his belief in the creed and causing a double moral clash. Are you people serious? This sound extremely exciting. Rather than starting as a goody two shoes, we gradually progress with Edward as he finds the path he finds correct: ACTUAL complete character development rather than the abruptly cut character development of AC3. I am actually excited for this, especially that it is similar to how Alta´r progresses and we all liked it.

Remember, no assassin starts an assassin, they gradually become one and this is the story of how Edward does so.

ze_topazio
05-05-2013, 05:57 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0h7phLrAv1qe9lpso1_500.gif

Remember, Altair put an end to the old ways of the Assassin order, so, emotionless assassins that follow the creed blindly, after the time of Altair, won't happen, only if the game takes place before Altair.

rileypoole1234
05-05-2013, 06:08 PM
He's a pirate... They don't like rules. They prefer guidelines...

STDlyMcStudpants
05-05-2013, 06:28 PM

Altair didn't follow the Creed.
I love how this story has been laid out so far, and it is all making sense, the hood though people like to give me grief for bringing it up because they just don't care..actually tells a hell of a lot more than you may think.
We know by the beakless hood that he is not a master assassin in the game and that he didn't inherit his robes. He is simply a recruit that caught the eye of an assassin and or is saved by an assassin and is in debt to them.
He is out to prove himself of value to his wife. He's basically a scum bag.
All of this being said, it seems he wont become an actual assassin until the end of the game. (THEORY)That Assassins Creed IV Black Flag was titled to signify a 4th assassin BUT is a prequel to Assassins Creed IV when he actually is a master Assassin fighting for the creed and dive deeper into haythens story a little.
I'm excited to see how it all goes. The only thing that crushes my theory of this being a prequal to AC 4 is the size of the game.
BUT could point to an assassins creed IV Genesis ;D Where we travel to africa for 1 last treasure hunt..for the apple and go back and forth between Edward and Adam/or Eve like we did in Revelations with Ezio and Altair.

PS All of the Assassins were trained by another assassin. we got about an hr of Ezios training and 3 to 4 of Conors Training. We are just getting the full transition in this game..which I think is a good thing

dxsxhxcx
05-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Altair didn't follow the Creed.
I love how this story has been laid out so far, and it is all making sense, the hood though people like to give me grief for bringing it up because they just don't care..actually tells a hell of a lot more than you may think.
We know by the beakless hood that he is not a master assassin in the game and that he didn't inherit his robes. He is simply a recruit that caught the eye of an assassin and or is saved by an assassin and is in debt to them.
He is out to prove himself of value to his wife. He's basically a scum bag.
All of this being said, it seems he wont become an actual assassin until the end of the game. (THEORY)That Assassins Creed IV Black Flag was titled to signify a 4th assassin BUT is a prequel to Assassins Creed IV when he actually is a master Assassin fighting for the creed and dive deeper into haythens story a little.
I'm excited to see how it all goes. The only thing that crushes my theory of this being a prequal to AC 4 is the size of the game.
BUT could point to an assassins creed IV Genesis ;D Where we travel to africa for 1 last treasure hunt..for the apple and go back and forth between Edward and Adam/or Eve like we did in Revelations with Ezio and Altair.

PS All of the Assassins were trained by another assassin. we got about an hr of Ezios training and 3 to 4 of Conors Training. We are just getting the full transition in this game..which I think is a good thing

acording to that Game magazine someone posted the cover in another thread:

"He doesn't really know who he is or what he wants", game director Ashraf Ismail tells "Games"...

"He's a british guy who had a very poor upbringing, Because of this, he's a bit selfish and a bit reckless, but at the same time he's a very charismatic guy. Early in life he decides to become a sailor and goes to the West Indies, where the lure of piracy is too strong for him to resist - given that selfish side of him, the idea of fame, riches and gold pulls him in pretty powerfully."

It's not until a chance to encounter with a member of the Assassin's Order that Kenway's penchant for life's excess is called into question, which is where his story begins.

"He meets an Assassin at an early point in the story", Ismail continues...

"They start to train him because they need something from him and he starts learning about the Creed. This is where he has this deep internal struggle - the Creed is really a selfless philosophy about letting humanity grow without necessarily controlling it, whereas Edward begins the game really just wanting fame and gold. But no matter how much he gets, he doesn't find happiness. If anything, he's losing the people around him. His main motivation is trying to figure out who he is in life."

ArabianFrost
05-05-2013, 07:04 PM

"He doesn't really know who he is or what he wants", game director Ashraf Ismail tells "Games"...

"He's a british guy who had a very poor upbringing, Because of this, he's a bit selfish and a bit reckless, but at the same time he's a very charismatic guy. Early in life he decides to become a sailor and goes to the West Indies, where the lure of piracy is too strong for him to resist - given that selfish side of him, the idea of fame, riches and gold pulls him in pretty powerfully."

It's not until a chance to encounter with a member of the Assassin's Order that Kenway's penchant for life's excess is called into question, which is where his story begins.

"They start to train him because they need something from him and he starts learning about the Creed. This is where he has this deep internal struggle - the Creed is really a selfless philosophy about letting humanity grow without necessarily controlling it, whereas Edward begins the game really just wanting fame and gold. But no matter how much he gets, he doesn't find happiness. If anything, he's losing the people around him. His main motivation is trying to figure out who he is in life."

This just sounds down-right interesting. I can already see Edward getting the best character development of all assassins.

dxsxhxcx
05-05-2013, 07:09 PM
This just sounds down-right interesting. I can already see Edward getting the best character development of all assassins.

I confess after I read it I thought it was interesting as well, but Connor also had a lot of potential that in the end (IMO) was poorly used by Ubisoft, I hope they do it right this time...

Kaschra
05-05-2013, 07:17 PM

Now this sounds really interesting. Really looking forward to AC4 now.

ArabianFrost
05-05-2013, 07:24 PM
I confess after I read it I thought it was interesting as well, but Connor also had a lot of potential that in the end (IMO) was poorly used by Ubisoft, I hope they do it right this time...

I don't think the potential was poorly used, it's just that it didn't have time to show. With AC4, you have 1 big game ONLY for Edward, with the benefit of a hasty start. AC4's historical setting does not have as many noticeable events as AC3, therefore, when you have a full game with plenty of time to develop character and a historical setting that truly is ONLY a background due to its lack of events, then we tend to have a game with a great focus and utilisation of the main character's struggle. Again, this is only speculation, but with all of that under Ubisoft's control, they would be idiots not to be able to develop Edward. Not saying that they weren't idiots before, but they can't stoop that low.

silvermercy
05-05-2013, 07:30 PM
That is my hope, too. Will he though? We play as a pirate for most of the game according to Ubi. Where will that character development start? That's my fear: we "suddenly" get a wiser Edward towards the end. But the impression i get so far is that he will be a pirate brat for the majority of the game... His character development should start from at least the middle of the game IMO.

ArabianFrost
05-05-2013, 07:42 PM
That is my hope, too. Will he though? We play as a pirate for most of the game according to Ubi. Where will that character development start? That's my fear: we "suddenly" get a wiser Edward towards the end. But the impression i get so far is that he will be a pirate brat for the majority of the game... His character development should start from at least the middle of the game IMO.

"Deep internal struggles" "No matter how much be gets, he never finds happiness. If anything at all, he is losing the people around him"

This doesn't seem like a sudden change. You don't suddenly lose people and since he is seeking riches throughout the game from the start, then this feeling of emptiness is by no means a sudden one, one the contrary, his soul-searching experience is one that starts from the beginning of the game, when he sets for gold at the Carribean. When he turns out to be wise will probably be at the end, but it will probably not be sudden at all, but on a gradual trail, with great pacing.... I hope

Dag_B
05-05-2013, 07:55 PM
I think the idea sounds pretty good.
Edward, somebody who, so it seems, does not fit into the assassins order, gets somehow involved with them. There is a lot of potential in there as this brings up a lot of questions and conflicts. And the question how a rough pirate fits into the order and why they should even care to train him is just the start...

thecodeman715
05-05-2013, 08:03 PM

That is a great Idea by Ubisoft... Now it makes sense to me.

Gi1t
05-05-2013, 08:10 PM

Well. in theory, he will eventually, just like how not all Prince of Persia main characters started the game as the Prince of Persia; the story was about how they attained that title and grew into the role. This could be interesting if the redemption is handled well.

Unfortunately, I can't blame you for expecting a rather cheap result. I'm guessing they probably will just make it about getting attention and the devs trying to tell a story of redemption will have their work largely drowned out by the 'exciting pirate life' etc. because of their company's money-grubbing attitude toward games.

thecodeman715
05-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Well. in theory, he will eventually, just like how not all Prince of Persia main characters started the game as the Prince of Persia; the story was about how they attained that title and grew into the role. This could be interesting if the redemption is handled well.

Unfortunately, I can't blame you for expecting a rather cheap result. I'm guessing they probably will just make it about getting attention and the devs trying to tell a story of redemption will have their work largely drowned out by the 'exciting pirate life' etc. because of their company's money-grubbing attitude toward games.

Yep, I just wish for once that big name companies would stop listening to their bank accounts and start listening to their die-hard fans, who they will eventually let down.

poptartz20
05-05-2013, 08:39 PM
I just wish Ubisoft would stop listening to their already full wallets, and listen to the fans they already have!

Honestly I feel if Ubisoft truly listened to the fans, We would have one mess of a game. Ha! There are not many things that we all agree on except:

1. Customization
2. No hand holding missions
3. Open Assassinations

Other than that I can't think of too many other things. I think we all need to stop jumping the gun with this game since we honestly know nothing about it other than what we have read about the character and a handful of trailers I mean we don't even have a solid Idea on who the voice actor is lol. I'm starting to think this will be the game that shines in the franchise but then again I don't want to get my hopes up to high.

As far as the creed and Edward, I think his character will have in interesting dynamic considering his background and personal conflicts.

ArabianFrost
05-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Honestly I feel if Ubisoft truly listened to the fans, We would have one mess of a game. Ha! There are not many things that we all agree on except:

1. Customization
2. No hand holding missions
3. Open Assassinations

Other than that I can't think of too many other things. I think we all need to stop jumping the gun with this game since we honestly know nothing about it other than what we have read about the character and a handful of trailers I mean we don't even have a solid Idea on who the voice actor is lol. I'm starting to think this will be the game that shines in the franchise but then again I don't want to get my hopes up to high.

As far as the creed and Edward, I think his character will have in interesting dynamic considering his background and personal conflicts.

Those three things are exactly what Ubisoft is doing with AC4, so in a way, they listened to the fans thoroughly. There are still some other things like combat and stealth mechanics that people unanimously agree on improving, but for the most part, at least we know a dev bothered to browse the forums for 5 seconds, like that McDevitt dude who goes through here sometimes, but never talks.

thecodeman715
05-05-2013, 08:45 PM
Open Assassinations meaning A) No Optional Objectives?! I hope so, I liked having one back in AC:B, 2 or 3 is a pain in the ***, or B) out in the open like in AC1?

Bashilir
05-05-2013, 08:52 PM
I'd love to have no optional objectives. Why? In ACB, if you didn't do an optional objective you got a huge "50% FAIL" or whatever it was. Just, no big red text if I don't do it how Ubisoft wants me to do it.. Oh and, better rewards please. AC3= Altair robes that are glued to Connor's legs. Yay...

montagemik
05-05-2013, 08:58 PM
Now this sounds really interesting. Really looking forward to AC4 now.

Have you considered .............. Although we're following the Kenway history in AC-IV via Abstergo , We may be reliving a subject's memories other than Desmond's - maybe William or Clay perhaps, ........ Edward does resemble Clay more than Desmond.

lothario-da-be
05-05-2013, 09:06 PM
This story has the potential to be the best and worst in the series.

dxsxhxcx
05-05-2013, 11:30 PM
I'd love to have no optional objectives. Why? In ACB, if you didn't do an optional objective you got a huge "50% FAIL" or whatever it was. Just, no big red text if I don't do it how Ubisoft wants me to do it.. Oh and, better rewards please. AC3= Altair robes that are glued to Connor's legs. Yay...

in AC3 they were capable to do worse, at the end of a mission the screen freezes and we get our "score" and then the player is teleported to the next part of the game (most part of the time far away from where we were), totally immersion breaking, sometimes it looked like I was playing a game separated by stages instead of an open world game where progression should feel natural like it was in the previous games..

Legendz54
05-06-2013, 01:03 AM
Now a story I would really like to see... What people mentioned above, Edward starting the game selfish but through the Creed he becomes Selfless. This was mentioned in some interview.

bveUSbve
05-08-2013, 09:09 AM
My main concern is that Edward's dubious character at the start of the game is mostly a cheap excuse to let the central "pro"-tagonist act "pure badass". What really seems to be the a preferred recipe (preferred by publishers) for quite some time now to attract the gaming masses. (And to attract these masses is the main concern of Ubisoft.)

But when considering what previous titles, including ACIII, really presented, I'm cautiously optimistic that we will see an acceptably multi-faceted character.

pacmanate
05-08-2013, 09:12 AM
Personally, I think it would be a nice change to have a wreckless selfish protagonist who only cares about himself. Would make a nice change...

ProletariatPleb
05-08-2013, 09:24 AM
My main concern is that Edward's dubious character at the start of the game is mostly a cheap excuse to let the central "pro"-tagonist act "pure badass". What really seems to be the a preferred recipe (preferred by publishers) for quite some time now to attract the gaming masses. (And to attract these masses is the main concern of Ubisoft.)

But when considering what previous titles, including ACIII, really presented, I'm cautiously optimistic that we will see an acceptably multi-faceted character.
Well you'd rather have a non-badass wimp pirate? 0_o

bveUSbve
05-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Well you'd rather have a non-badass wimp pirate? 0_o
I'd have rather not a one-dimensional-appealing-mostly-to-not-yet-grown-up-males character. Badassery typically is nothing I appreciate in any protagonist. It's for kids.

ProletariatPleb
05-08-2013, 10:17 AM
I'd have rather not a one-dimensional-appealing-mostly-to-not-yet-grown-up-males character. Badassery typically is nothing I appreciate in any protagonist. It's for kids.
But he's a pirate, and an assassin, I don't think anything much could be changed about him.

And while I too dislike 'wide appealing' prots added for ***** teenagers(a la Ezio), I don't think what we've been told so far qualifies as one.

bveUSbve
05-08-2013, 03:39 PM
And while I too dislike 'wide appealing' prots added for ***** teenagers(a la Ezio), I don't think what we've been told so far qualifies as one.
Ezio had his "badass" moments (which I generally disliked), but over all I don't see him as the type of hero-for-kids I rather don't want to be a game protagonist. He was okay - good enough for my taste.

Typical for the type of "badass" I decidedly dislike is the guy shown in the first AC4-trailers: over-confident, overly cool, grim looking - like some never growing up rock star.
Can a pirate who is an assassin only be characterized in one way? Certainly not.

ProletariatPleb
05-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Can a pirate who is an assassin only be characterized in one way? Certainly not.
Didn't say that, just saying it would lose the pirate charm and wouldn't feel authentic IMO.

bveUSbve
05-09-2013, 02:36 PM
Didn't say that, just saying it would lose the pirate charm and wouldn't feel authentic IMO.
Of course there is a stereotypical way of depicting a pirate, and it may appeal to you (--> "charm") or it does not (rather the latter for me).
But a good writer should be able to deliver something else - without the result losing it's (stereotypical) charm completely. I think.

As I said, I'm cautiously optimistic that AC4's writers can pull it off. Since the previous games did it, or at least tried it...

ProletariatPleb
05-09-2013, 02:43 PM
Of course there is a stereotypical way of depicting a pirate, and it may appeal to you (--> "charm") or it does not (rather the latter for me).But a good writer should be able to deliver something else - without the result losing it's (stereotypical) charm completely. I think.As I said, I'm cautiously optimistic that AC4's writers can pull it off. Since the previous games did it, or at least tried it...Well he's supposedly an anti-hero that's what excites me, so far we've had all these typically 'good' guys, that fight for and believe in a noble cause and noble ways and that difference is what excites me, plus I'm beyond caring for Assassin's Creed tbh, I'm just looking at this as a pirate game where I have my own ship.

montagemik
05-09-2013, 04:48 PM
The Guy is described as a 'Pirate trained by Assassins' ..................So personally - i want to see some 'Pirate' aspect to his personality & methods ........... More Haytham than Connor. - Unleashed rather than Restrained in our actions. Could make a nice change TBH.

Carnage / Chaos & freedom to do as we please - Desyncing for harming civilians ...........Should be dropped for a start.

Bastiaen
05-09-2013, 05:12 PM
The narrative is about his journey from a selfish pirate to a mature Assassin.

montagemik
05-09-2013, 05:18 PM
The narrative is about his journey from a selfish pirate to a mature Assassin.

That's Fine , I don't mind being 'Noble' at the End ................Just let me be a B****** for at least half the game - i fully accept all consequences of my actions .