PDA

View Full Version : Best Assassins Creed Assassin protagonist?

Wolfmeister1010
05-04-2013, 05:18 AM
This is sort of similar to the other recent best character thread, but this one has more options, a poll, and. My own personal opinion. If you dont want to reas this thread, then dont read it.

Hello all! Wolfmeister here! I know I have done a character comparison thread before, but now, since Ac3 is no longer new to me, I feel I can give a fair comparison. I am comparing Altair, Ezio, Connor, Desmond, and Edward. I am not including aveline because I have never even seen any footage of her. Please know that my opinions are just MY opinions, and I am sure all of you will have different opinions. I am simply interested in knowing what you all think. Thanks.*

Rating will be from 1 (terrible) to 10 (perfect)

Altair:

Main notes: Altair was the original assassin. The original badass. In AC1, we see him grow from an immature brat to a respectful, humbled warrior. Through written AC novels as well as through Revelations, we see even more of him. As far as his personality, I think is....so so. Although he does fix his attitude, he is always so dull and monotonic. He also never seems to be motivated....ever. He always seems to do his job because he is required to, or because he has nothing to but that. The unique thing about altair is that he was the only protagonist other than Desmond, technically, who was an assassin from birth. Thus, assassin-hood is the only thing he has ever known. I love his stoic attitude, and his simple badassery, but I never felt connected to him in any of his games,

Summary: Altair is the most downright "badass" of all the assassins. But, I cant help feeling that this is his only standout trait. He has basically no passion, except for when Maria is killed, but his seriousness helps to craft him into a no nonsense *** kicker. He also holds the right as one of the most wise of the assassins, in his old age particularly.*

Rating: 6/10

Desmond:

Main notes: Desmond's story was gradually fed to us through the course of 5 games. Basically, he was raised an assassin, but he ran away from his assassin life an community at 16, and tried to live a normal life as a bartender, regardless of the fact that the templars would try to find hi,, which he KNEW. Also, he did not do a very good job at all hiding from them, even going so far as to name his signature drink "the Shirley Templar". Not very inconspicuous. Just as Shawn says in AC2, is almost seems like he didn't want to escape. In AC1, he is immature, whiny, and never shuts the **** up.I think he forgot that his captivators could kill him at anytime, yet he still needed to ask and retort and talk every waking second, instead of quietly planning ahead, like subject 16 did. As the games go by, he does get gradually less *****y, to the point in AC3, in which he is most tolerable. By AC3, he is significantly more serious, deadly, and less of a ******. He ends his story in a heroic and painful sacrifice, which I believe makes up for a lot of his faults.

Summary: Desmond started off as a character I wanted to punch in the face, and ended as a person I would nod respectfully to if I met him on the street. I still don't really like him, mainly because of his lack of the ability to shut the **** up concentrate, like when he kept on yammering to Lucy during their escape in AC2. Luckily, she responded with a very satisfying "Shut the **** Up.....please". All in all, I respect Desmond as a character and admire his combat skills in the later games.*

Rating: 5/10

Ezio:

Main notes: in the beginning of AC2, Ezio was also a character I wanted to punch in the face. He was immature, childish, arrogant, and he only cared about sex and disobeyed his parents. Even after his family's death, he almost right off the bat attempts to get in bed with multiple chicks, from christina, to the thief chick in venice, to the horse lady in Forli, and even fantasizing about Caterina on the boat to Venice. He also makes a few unbearable sex puns throughout his journey. I personally felt that Ezio was a huge ****** through all of AC2, and that he really only cared about sex,and himself, rather than his family. However, by the end of AC2, he had matured enough to be tolerable. In Brotherhood, he is more mature, and in Revelations, he grows to be almost as wise as Altair. But, one thing that bothers me about Ezio is that his motivations (other than those in Revelations) were bad. He fought for revenge in AC2 and brotherhood, and only began to fight for justice in Revelations, ten years before his death. Rome was already under the Borgia's tyranny way before Ezio got there, and the only reason Ezio went there at all was to get revenge for the death of Mario.I just feel that he never had the best motivations. Ezio is by far the most charming and easily lovable character out of all the others. While you must really relate to the other characters to like them, it is very easy to like ezio just because of his charm and wit. However, on the opposite end of the spectrum, I never felt that Ezio was a bad *** at all. Because of all his joking around, I never could take him seriously as a warrior until Revelations. He also only learned to fight well in his forties. Something about Ezio just is not that badass.*

Summary: Ezio is a colorful and charming character who was a pleasure to play as for three games. His charm, wit, and agility is matched by no other assassins. However, his personality was always the non serious, joking, womanizing Italian guy that never felt like a badass. He could fight pretty well, but he is nowhere near as downright badass as altair or Connor. Despite his faults, he is a very hard character to hate and rounded out most of his faults by the time he was 52.*

Rating: 8/10

Connor:

Ahhhh, here we are, at the most controversial character of the AC universe. Basically, people either loved him, or hated him. It seems that many people tended to be haters. Connor had trouble, despair, and hardship around him from the very start of his life. He lived in the wilderness for his entire childhood while the colonists threatened his people every day. This, coupled with the Mohawk people's generally serious attitude and lifestyle, molded Connor into a stoic and serious character by the time he was in his teens. He definitely is the most noble and righteous of all the characters, fighting only for justice since the beginning of his fight, for his people, and for the colonists. Sometimes he showed to be even naively righteous, like when he was trying to clear his name of murder with Sam Adams, and he pointed out that the bribing and vandalism they were doing was wrong. He believed that he could just explain his innocence. This goes to show that he was very unfamiliar with colonial life in his earlier years. What sets him apart from the other assassins is that his goal was very clear from the beginning. He needed to defeat the templars in any way possible in order to save his people. He had a very strict sense of good and evil. His goals only faltered when his father showed up, after which he naively believed that an alliance between the assassins and templars could occur. However, thanks to the wisdom of Achilles, he was set back on track. Also, Connor is in my opinion the best fighter of all the assassins, and the best warrior. He is also the best at climbing and freerunning, being able to run through trees and vault over objects. His only physical fault is that he is a slower runner than Ezio and Altair. Connor, despite his noble attitude, could be a bit of a **** sometimes. He was particularly rude to Achilles, going so far as to threaten him, and go against his wishes. Connor also made some very rash decisions. However, all of his mistakes and insults towards Achilles were apologized for by Connor, and Achilles died as a proud and happy mentor. some say that he has no personality, but I dont think so. Sure, he is very serious when conversing with strangers or associates, because he is focusing on his struggle, and his mission. but his personality really comes out when interacting with his homesteaders. There, he smiles, laughs, and helps everyone there. He has a very strong sense of responsibility for his Homestead. The homestead is where the true Connor emerges.

Summary: Connor had to kill his best friend, and his father. He lost his mother, his people, and his mentor. Whenever things seemed to go right for him, things always go wrong later. Unlike all the other assassins' stories, Connor's story ended BADLY, with all of his struggles resulting in him losing everything he fought for. He ****ing earned the right to be ******* serious. While he could be a **** and immature sometimes, he was the noblest and relatable of all the assassins, and he did not get the credit he deserved. His story ended right at the point where he would have really begun to develop character wise. He is hard to like at times, and requires much more work and thought to like and appreciate, unlike Ezio, but if you really do sit down and think about him, he really is a good character. He doesnt have NO passion. He simply hides his pain behind a serious attitude. Sometimes his passion leaks out, like when his mother died in TOKW, and when he fought his father. I hope that we have another game with him. I am sure that if he got more screen time like Ezio, he would be more liked. There is a speech by Connor that was cut from the game, that would have been said at the end of the game. I,call it his "compromise" speech. He talks about his compromise in life, how he must sacrifice his well being for the well being of others, and that feeling of helping others is enough for him. That is his compromise. All of the commenter of the video agreed that if that speech was in the game thousands of people would like him more. All you haters of Connor, please take the time to search the video.

Rating: 8.75/10

Edward:*

Main notes. In the forsaken novel, Edward appeared to be a very noble, polite, and wise man. I was very surprised to find out that he was also a pirate obsessed with glory, money, and sex. Even Ubisoft has said that his main goal is for glory and fame. He is a bit of an alcoholic too. However, since he started as an drunken pirate and ended as a respectful and wise assassin, there has to be some MAJOR character development in AC4. I am frankly excited for his story, I believe he will begin to become more wise and noble when he becomes an assassin. Apparently, his main story arc will be based on his conflicting goals and duties of a pirate and assassin, and his issues with his wife and family. I believe that Edward's story will be the most vibrant yet. While I believe ezio was a ****** because he was obsessed with women and wine, that is because he still was obsessed with women and wine even during his missions, and the vengeance of his assassin career. Edward seems to be a drunk and glory hound because he has not a care in the world. While Ezio stayed the same immature self even during his assassin career, I believe that Edward will go from foolish and drunk, to serious and determined whenever his family or his assassin brotherhood comes up.*

Summary: I believe that I will love Edward, and he might perhaps be my favorite. However, if he turns out as good as I think he will, I think I will like him just as much as Connor because they are both good and unique in their own ways. It is just like sating that you can't compare far cry 3 to assassins creed 3 because they are totally different types of games and are good in their owns ways. I guess we will see.

Rating: pending

note: I dont consider myself to be a Connor "fanboy". I simply feel that he did not get nearly the amount of respect he deserved. Regardless of my opinion, I am completely open to any possible opinion you have on him, or any of the other characters as well. Thanks!

Don't forget ti participate in the poll and comment too!

Assassin_M
05-04-2013, 05:22 AM
So...let me ask you this, but do not take it as an insult, i`m just curious...

You exclude Aveline, because you`v seen nothing of her....cool, but....you not only include Edward based on 2 trailers (none that have him speak), but you even gave him a high score (i`m not arguing the high score) and I know how I`ll be called hypocritical, but...ignorance is bliss...(not aimed at you, OP)

how does this make sense ?? xD optimism ?? or ? I think it`s pretty unfair for Edward....he may be higher than 8.5

btw.....I detest the low Altair score :|

Wolfmeister1010
05-04-2013, 05:25 AM
I have seen footage and articles about edward, but have not seen one piece of info on aveline. I dont even know what she looks like. I am simply refering to my knowledge.

P.S alatir will always be the legendary and most badass assassin ever. It is just his personality I dont really care for

Wolfmeister1010
05-04-2013, 05:30 AM
AssassinM,

You are right, it is unfair for me to give any sort of rating in edward. I have changed it to pending. Also, please, i am very curious to hear your reasoning for Altair being better than I portrayed him.your opinion is eagerly wanted

roostersrule2
05-04-2013, 05:52 AM
AssassinM,

You are right, it is unfair for me to give any sort of rating in edward. I have changed it to pending. Also, please, i am very curious to hear your reasoning for Altair being better than I portrayed him.your opinion is eagerly wantedI'm no M (I'm better) but Altair was a great character. He gave off the no nonsense I'm just here to get things done look, but he was deep, very deep. His life had the most tragedies and it affected him. He was the wisest assassin but showed naivety at times in the death speeches. He gave almost every moment of his life to the Assassins and rebuilt them so that they could survive longer, I would even go as far to say he is the most important Assassin ever.

Assassin_M
05-04-2013, 07:57 AM
I have seen footage and articles about edward, but have not seen one piece of info on aveline. I dont even know what she looks like. I am simply refering to my knowledge.

P.S alatir will always be the legendary and most badass assassin ever. It is just his personality I dont really care for
well, fair enough...

I`ll give scores by games...

Altair (AC I)
Starts as a spoiled brat. he`s like the teacher`s favorite in cla- ahhh feck this
10/10

Ezio 0/10

Connor anything above/ 10

:P

i`ll make a bigger post tomorrow...need sleep now :|

ProletariatPleb
05-04-2013, 08:17 AM
God Tier
Alta´r

Meh/Okayish Tier
Connor

Pleb/GTFO Tier
Ezio

catkiller97
05-04-2013, 08:30 AM
Ezio 9/10
Altair 8/10
Connor 7/10

jayjay275
05-04-2013, 09:26 AM
Ezio Auditore Da Firenze 9.5/10
Altair Ibn-La-Ahad 9/10
Ratonhnhake;ton 8.5/10.

Legendz54
05-04-2013, 11:29 AM
Connor kenway 10/10
then... Connor kenway 10/10
finally... Connor kenway 10/10

Honourable mentions to Altair and Ezio... GTFO!

Edward looks more of a street smart Assassin then an honourable one, will be an interesting change. From what i have seen he looks 7/10 to me. (this may change later on)

x___Luffy___x
05-04-2013, 11:36 AM
for me

1. connor
2. altair

liking edward too .. too soon to say now.

SixKeys
05-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Not sure what the rating system is supposed to be based on. 10 = Perfect assassin? Perfect AC protagonist? Perfect video game character? No matter how much I like Alta´r (my favorite), I couldn't possibly justify giving him a 10/10 because as a character he is clichÚ as hell. None of the AC protagonists we've had so far have even come close to a truly well-rounded and deep character. Some are simply more likable or badass than others, but none of them compare to someone like John Marston from RDR, for example.

jayjay275
05-04-2013, 12:07 PM
I do not understand why people say there are many Ezio fanboys no here, there seems to be more Connor fanboys. :|

lothario-da-be
05-04-2013, 01:02 PM
Connor is the most interesting for me, ezio the most entertaining and Altair is the wise mysterious mentor.

ProletariatPleb
05-04-2013, 01:03 PM
I do not understand why people say there are many Ezio fanboys no here, there seems to be more Connor fanboys. :|
That keeps changing with whenever a new game with new prot is introduced.

*insert new AC prot name here* fanboys.

Not sure what the rating system is supposed to be based on. 10 = Perfect assassin? Perfect AC protagonist? Perfect video game character? No matter how much I like Alta´r (my favorite), I couldn't possibly justify giving him a 10/10 because as a character he is clichÚ as hell. None of the AC protagonists we've had so far have even come close to a truly well-rounded and deep character. Some are simply more likable or badass than others, but none of them compare to someone like John Marston from RDR, for example.
Geralt!

jayjay275
05-04-2013, 01:05 PM
That keeps changing with whenever a new game with new prot is introduced.

*insert new AC prot name here* fanboys.

Geralt!

I see now. :P

lothario-da-be
05-04-2013, 01:06 PM
I think John isn't a that good character actualy, but thats my opinion.

nitres15
05-04-2013, 01:15 PM
I think John isn't a that good character actualy, but thats my opinion.

define what a good character is to you.

lothario-da-be
05-04-2013, 01:17 PM
define what a good character is to you.
A character is good for me when i care about him or realy like him, and or has a well written ( complex?) personality.
It depens on the character itself.

nitres15
05-04-2013, 01:23 PM
A character is good for me when i care about him or realy like him, and or has a well written ( complex?) personality.
It depens on the character itself.

And John Marston wasn┤t written well ? ***** please !

lothario-da-be
05-04-2013, 01:30 PM
And John Marston wasn┤t written well ? ***** please !
I clearly said thats my opinion, i just didn't like him that much, the last 20 minutes of the main game i cared about him, but before he was meh for me.

nitres15
05-04-2013, 01:39 PM
I clearly said thats my opinion, i just didn't like him that much, the last 20 minutes of the main game i cared about him, but before he was meh for me.

so what you┤re trying to say is that you didn┤t like John, and therefore he┤s a bad character. Excuse me but, what kind of logic is that ?

ProletariatPleb
05-04-2013, 01:41 PM
so what you┤re trying to say is that you didn┤t like John, and therefore he┤s a bad character. Excuse me but, what kind of logic is that ?
No, what he's trying to say is he thinks John was badly written.

AssassinHMS
05-04-2013, 01:41 PM

Yeah I wonder that too. I've seen so many people here complaining about Ezio fanboys but I never actually spoted one. On the other hand I see Connor fanboys at every corner. But I get it a little. Right now it's considered cool to defend Connor because he's been quite bashed by people who call him plain and dull. If you notice, people tend to defend the minorities. The wierd thing is that if you say something bad about Ezio (he's a bad assassin or whatnot) you won't hear many complains but if you say Connor is reckless or something, you must be ready for angry posts and people bashing your comment.

I can easily say I don't care much about any of the main AC protagonists so far. First of all they're fictional characters and secondly I haven't really connected with any of them in terms of personality or looks.
Now look at this thread... if you played all main AC games it's obvious Altair is the most commited assassin, the one who learned the most and basicaly the best assassin. (This is a racional statement)
And yet Connor is winning with a big advantage...

nitres15
05-04-2013, 01:44 PM
No, what he's trying to say is he thinks John was badly written.

bad characters = badly written characters.

ProletariatPleb
05-04-2013, 01:51 PM
bad characters = badly written characters.
I missed the part where I said otherwise?

dxsxhxcx
05-04-2013, 01:53 PM
Yeah I wonder that too. I've seen so many people here complaining about Ezio fanboys but I never actually spoted one. On the other hand I see Connor fanboys at every corner. But I get it a little. Right now it's considered cool to defend Connor because he's been quite bashed by people who call him plain and dull. If you notice, people tend to defend the minorities. The wierd thing is that if you say something bad about Ezio (he's a bad assassin or whatnot) you won't hear many complains but if you say Connor is reckless or something, you must be ready for angry posts and people bashing your comment.

I can easily say I don't care much about any of the main AC protagonists so far. First of all they're fictional characters and secondly I haven't really connected with any of them in terms of personality or looks.
Now look at this thread... if you played all main AC games it's obvious Altair is the most commited assassin, the one who learned the most and basicaly the best assassin. (This is a racional statement)
And yet Connor is winning with a big advantage...

that's because you probably wasn't here before the annoucement/release of AC3 when all we had was AC1~ACR (Altair and Ezio)

xboxauditore
05-04-2013, 02:05 PM
Edward Kenway, Because Pirates.

ze_topazio
05-04-2013, 02:44 PM
Assassin's Creed XVI protagonist will be the best ever.

Sushiglutton
05-04-2013, 02:55 PM
Voted Edward because I don't think I have voted for him in any of the other polls.

AssassinHMS
05-04-2013, 03:00 PM
that's because you probably wasn't here before the annoucement/release of AC3 when all we had was AC1~ACR (Altair and Ezio)

Hmm... Those must have been dark times. But where did those Ezio fanboys go? Did they turn into Connor fanboys??

Sushiglutton
05-04-2013, 03:03 PM
Hmm... Those must have been dark times. But where did those Ezio fanboys go? Did they turn into Connor fanboys??

"Ezio fanboy" is something people who thought Connor was kind of dull gets called. Has nothing to do with Ezio. I'm not sure there ever were any real Ezio fanboys. I guess future historians will tell.

Rugterwyper32
05-04-2013, 03:05 PM

I know many are still around in Gamefaqs. Not liking Connor because he's "not Ezio" basically, and mentioning how Ezio was superior every time. Saw a few back when I lurked the forums before joining, too. They've become a lot more quiet lately, though.

TinyTemplar
05-04-2013, 03:12 PM

We tired voting in the same poll over and over and over and over again.

Megas_Doux
05-04-2013, 03:16 PM
I know many are still around in Gamefaqs. Not liking Connor because he's "not Ezio" basically, and mentioning how Ezio was superior every time. Saw a few back when I lurked the forums before joining, too. They've become a lot more quiet lately, though.

A comment I made on a youtube video saying that "Connor is underrated" received too many negative votes.... And to me, an Ezio fanboy is someone who thinks like this "Connor is dull, he makes no jokes, there are no innovations in AC3", like one I remember similar to this "Hidding/assassinating behind a column is not an AC3┤s improvement, it was possible since ACB" LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOL, or tree running, weather, seasons are "no big deal" etc etc.

And most of them always "forget" about Ezio┤s mistakes such a almost setting a city on fire killing many innocents in the process, compromising the brotherhood by making an important assassins leader protect the girl he loved "just because" and almost losing an important asset as well, exposing himself publicly aka "VITTORIA AGLI ASSASSINI" in the middle of the city, at noon...... etc etc etc.

In fact, and I will have to say it, to me most of Ezio/AC2/ACB "fanboys" are casuals!!!!!!

Sushiglutton
05-04-2013, 03:23 PM
And to me, an Ezio fanboy is someone who thinks like this "Connor is dull, he makes no jokes blah blah blah"

This seems to be the general definition around here. To me it seems more logical that an Ezio fanboy would be someone who, you know, liked Ezio. I thought Connor was dull, but I don't think Ezio was that great either. I'm an Alan Wake fanboy.

Rugterwyper32
05-04-2013, 03:27 PM
This seems to be the general definition around here. To me it seems more logical that an Ezio fanboy would be someone who, you know, liked Ezio. I thought Connor was dull, but I don't think Ezio was that great either. I'm an Alan Wake fanboy.

I actually see a line that divides fan from fanboy. It's all fine and dandy liking Ezio and not Connor but so long as it's not irrational hate because "he doesn't crack jokes and he's just no Ezio" and point out the flaws in one while praising the other like some perfect being.
I think so long as you aren't driven by some insane bias that leads you to hate one character because he's not that other character you see as perfect, it's all good. It's more about the line between rational fans and crazed fanboys.

Megas_Doux
05-04-2013, 03:29 PM

I like Ezio, but I am willing to acknowledge MANY of his mistakes as an assassin, such as some I stated above......For example Connor is my favorite assassins, but I have no problem in terms of "admitting" him being reckless and naive.

Wolfmeister1010
05-04-2013, 05:26 PM
I have seen WAY too many comments on forums or youtube videos or threads calling connor a whiny little ***** with no personality. I can totally acknowledge all of his faults. I can totally agree that he could be a **** sometimes. But I dont like Connor the best just because he is the "Newest protagonist". I really do feel a connection with him. From what I can tell so far, I will love Edward because he is entertaining, but not as much as Connor, becuase Connor doesnt have to be cliche or funny or so on to be a good character. Frankly the only other character I have ever seen ever before in a game that has the same serious charm as Connor was John Marston. In response to all the John Marston comments above, I will give my opinion too.

I think John Marston is one of the greatest videogame characters of all time, better than master chief, better than nathan drake, and just as good as Connor. This is because, just like Connor, he didnt have to crack a pun, or have sex every second in order to be a deep, interesting character. I think that shows amazing writing.

silvermercy
05-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Altair: 10: Just because he was the original assassin.
Connor: 10000000000000000000000000000000 (I swear I'm not a big fangirl, I am not!! :D)
Edward: pending... (it will all depend on if he significantly redeems himself by the end of the game (starting with his wife) and generally leaves all pirate lifestyle behind him for good. His whole arc and initial immoral character would be a good base for a great character development).

I think I'm forgetting someone....

Bashilir
05-04-2013, 05:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6d79JHh3cU

This video made me like Connor even more. I bolded that so you can see that I'm a fan of Connor before the video. >.> I give Connor a 8. Ezio a.. 2. and Altair a 7. I feel like Connor's story had the most meaning. That is all.

Wolfmeister1010
05-04-2013, 05:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6d79JHh3cU

This video made me like Connor even more. I bolded that so you can see that I'm a fan of Connor before the video. >.> I give Connor a 8. Ezio a.. 2. and Altair a 7. I feel like Connor's story had the most meaning. That is all.

That is the vieeo,I was talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I swear it makes me cry. It really does make you like Connor so much more!!!!! This needs to be seen by everyone

Assassin_M
05-04-2013, 07:16 PM
John Marston is my favorite video game character of all time..

1- John Marston
2- Niko Bellic
3- Vito Scaletta
4- Connor/Altair
5- (well not really hate them, but...) Nathan Drake/ Ezio Auditore

And I don't like Connor, because he`s a new toy, i disliked Ezio in AC II, liked the most in ACR...i`ll be rating by enjoyment based on each`s first game only.

Altair
well he gets an extra point for being an Arab :| *ding* 1/10

in Actuality, you don't really have time to hate Altair, because of what he says and his skill, true, he starts by killing an innocent old man with his "lesser" colleagues berating him for it, but hey, me and Altair were superior, eff this little guy what`s he know ?? probably jealous anyway..one more point for quick relation 2/10

as the game goes forward, you start seeing the teacher`s favorite become an Idiot....he`s thrown out, he fails his colleagues, he`s stripped of his honor and accessories and is demoted to a child. You start seeing Altair the Jerk...the ****head that everyone else sees, because when Rank, honor and respect are gone, all that remains is that rotten gold apple...well, not completely rotten, because there`s still hope and even though the guy`s been slapped in front of everyone. Women and Children...yet, he`s still showing off, dropping words of arrogance every now and then..1.5 points for persistence... 3.5/10

Altair is in action. a blade in the crowd. he`s impatient at first regarding the gathering of information, but he does it....adeptly. you`d not suspect this white hooded, quite badass...moving between the crowds with finesse and then BAM...he strikes, after watching cruelty and slaughter of innocents...He`s as arrogant to his targets as he is to everyone else, but he sees humility...he sees conviction from his victims, but how ?? why ?? who was he that I killed ? I can`t be wrong...a point for Relevance 4.5/10

Altair starts becoming confused, each target he slays tells a story...outlandish schemes and plots, not inherently evil, but require evil...a sacrifice. the stories each victim relays are different...each a part of something and each of them unhinged and undeterred. Altair questions his master which makes for AWESOME writing..3 points for the damm writing 7.5/10

finally, the realization of betrayal, the moment Altair learns of this, you can hear it in his voice... "But he is the master of the assassins", desperation and disbelief and then acceptance..his final exchange of words with Richard show how absent his mind is...how it`s swimming with thoughts and questions, but he need not ask his Master for answers this time around. only downfall of this is that....I saw it a mile away for some reason...a point for plot twist and voice acting 8.5/10

Ezio
Playboy in Italia OHHHHH YEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHH, extra point for Italy 1/10

We see this street smarts teen punk start a fight for family honor, he`s leader material since 17..charismatic and well liked by friends..smart with words and knows which buttons to click, unfortunately he clicks too many buttons and ends up with a scar to the lip..0.5 a point for this event 2.5/10 (backstories are always a joy)

after sexing a Cristina, Ezio starts his day, happily doing errands for his father and helping his mother and that`s where we learn how terrible at lying Ezio is...or at least in hiding something, because his mother obviously knows his outlets which leads to some funny convos with both parents...a point for interaction 3.5/10

Auditore family is hanged, but for some reason, I wasn't...shocked...or emotionally touched, everyone was superb, from the executioner to the victims to Ezio...great voice acting and emotion there, he`s ready to sacrifice a finger...1 point for voice acting 4.5/10

quickly taking responsibility of revenge, Ezio trains to reach his target, kill and escape...he`s successful and manages to send a powerful message. He takes his remaining family and leaves Florence...some of the details missed that i would`v loved to see where the burial of his father and brothers, oh well...Ezio doesn't know what to do....A BIT, I didn't feel he was as confused and scared as he should`v been, but the arrival of Mario makes Ezio look weak and scared which a plus, since it`s a vital part of change..0.5 a point for that 5/10

Ezio is more serious, but he still has this pampered attitude from somewhere...he wants to escape and live a quite life again, but he trains and is convinced to continue his father`s work..he starts with Vieri then Francesco, Ezio is at first angry with brilliant voice acting and then more calm and serious towards his fight with Francesco...1.5 points for progression 6.5/10

too bad....that`s the last bit of progression we see from Ezio and he`s back to the playboy attitude, except now, he has a hood and knives....MEEEEEEEEH, the only real change is in the final sequence, he`s an old, Veteran Assassin..calm and adept, but still...no planning and 40, but I liked 40 Ezio more than 20s Ezio, so....0.5 for better characterization 7/10

I wont talk about Connor again....i`v done it too much times to remember

ProletariatPleb
05-04-2013, 07:17 PM
^ Niko Bellic? Lmao

Assassin_M
05-04-2013, 07:19 PM
^ Niko Bellic? Lmao
Yes :|

He`s awesome...leave me alone

ProletariatPleb
05-04-2013, 07:21 PM
Yes :|

He`s awesome...leave me alone
Lmfao this is the first time I'm hearing that. i don't dislike him but I never thought he was anything special, but 2nd in your list yeah that I find odd.

Assassin_M
05-04-2013, 07:29 PM
Lmfao this is the first time I'm hearing that. i don't dislike him but I never thought he was anything special, but 2nd in your list yeah that I find odd.
Well, I was.....Uhh...13 when I played GTA IV <_< and I thought the writing was pretty good...Niko is pretty different from past GTA characters, he has some good in him...he readily helps people in need with anything...he has a conscience and feels guilt and whenever he has a chance to atone, he does...like how he helps Mikhail`s wife and daughter..he also has pity for people who sink low and becomes genuinely happy when they change for the better...the guy has some pretty strict principles and is always angry when his loyalty is questioned, otherwise he`s always cool...

He`s this rough, angry individual, but only because life took a **** on him...He hides the fact that roman`s mom was raped and then had her throat slit from Roman, he saw it himself and he thought it was too painful to tell it to Roman...

I thought he was a pretty complicated character...

ProletariatPleb
05-04-2013, 07:31 PM
Well, I was.....Uhh...13 when I played GTA IV <_< and I thought the writing was pretty good...Niko is pretty different from past GTA characters, he has some good in him...he readily helps people in need with anything...he has a conscience and feels guilt and whenever he has a chance to atone, he does...like how he helps Mikhail`s wife and daughter..he also has pity for people who sink low and becomes genuinely happy when they change for the better...the guy has some pretty strict principles and is always angry when his loyalty is questioned, otherwise he`s always cool...

He`s this rough, angry individual, but only because life took a **** on him...He hides the fact that roman`s mom was raped and then had her throat slit from Roman, he saw it himself and he thought it was too painful to tell it to Roman...

I thought he was a pretty complicated character...
It's fine, I'm not criticising you, just found it funny cause nobody mentions him and suddenly out of the blue you do. I liked him as well but I would probably not count him in the top 5.

Assassin_M
05-04-2013, 07:34 PM
It's fine, I'm not criticising you, just found it funny cause nobody mentions him and suddenly out of the blue you do. I liked him as well but I would probably not count him in the top 5.
Nah I was just explaining why I like him :P

Out of curiosity, who`re your top 5 ??

ProletariatPleb
05-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Nah I was just explaining why I like him :P

Out of curiosity, who`re your top 5 ??
Let's see..hmmm

1.Geralt of Rivia
2.Alta´r
3.Sam Fisher(till Chaos Theory)
4.Max Payne
5. Adam Jensen?

Can't really think of a proper 5th right now.

Rugterwyper32
05-04-2013, 08:03 PM
Unfortunately, all the games you've mentioned fall against the master of all storytelling. Tetris.

It’s like the most artistic form to tell a story. It really shows politically how corrupt a government can be in maintaining our crumbling economy. It also involves the outlook on how overpopulated the human race has become, consuming all the space we can take up. All the colors show the different diverse characters colliding together in forced conflict and unable to break apart unless they reunite with others they can relate to. The pace starts out slow until it speeds up at just the right time to cause a great deal of tension.

In the end, the outstanding performance of the “L block” has really given a sense of purpose in what it takes to be a top notch videogame character.

In Silent Hill you get characters in monotone. In RE you get cliche’d generic characters. Mario is just a mess from the start for being an Itallian plumber who takes shrooms and trips out in his “mushroom kingdom”. MGS goes all over the place too. Solid Snake is getting too old now to move on and his time in videogames is coming at an end.

Which is why the “L block” is so special. He’s timeless. He relates to major events in our past, present, and future.

WarriorAegis
05-04-2013, 08:09 PM
How many threads like this have we had? :P

nitres15
05-04-2013, 08:10 PM
Let's see..hmmm

1.Geralt of Rivia
2.Alta´r
4.Max Payne
5. Adam Jensen?

all of those games have sold over 1 million units, you can┤t like them anymore... filthy...mainstream... casual... BLEH !!!

ProletariatPleb
05-04-2013, 08:14 PM
all of those games have sold over 1 million units, you can┤t like them anymore... filthy...mainstream... casual... BLEH !!!
They're characters, not games smartass.

nitres15
05-04-2013, 08:16 PM
They're characters, not games smartass.

those characters are in the games aren┤t they ? You know what i mean.

ProletariatPleb
05-04-2013, 08:19 PM
those characters are in the games aren┤t they ? You know what i mean.
Ofcourse I do, doesn't stop me from toying with you :P

nitres15
05-04-2013, 08:21 PM
Ofcourse I do, doesn't stop me from toying with you :P

Whatever... casual...

ProletariatPleb
05-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Whatever... casual...
You're not very good at it :P

thecodeman715
05-05-2013, 02:00 AM
Where is Nikolai in all of this?

Megas_Doux
05-05-2013, 03:17 AM
Let's see..hmmm

1.Geralt of Rivia
2.Alta´r
4.Max Payne
5. Adam Jensen?

Pretty recent ones, I find the lack of old school and classic characters disturbing....

And well, my list:

1 The Big efffffing boss!!!!!!
2 Solid Snake/Liquid Snake/Solidus Snake.
3 John Marston.
4 Sephiroth.
5 Cloud.
6 Haytham Kenway.
7 Altair/Connor.
8 Kratos
9 Scorpion.
10 A K U M A from street fighter.

Splinter Cell is a HUGELY watered down version of the ALMIGHTY Metal Gear Series, and Sam Fisher would be owned by any of the "snake" guys within 3 seconds.....

ProletariatPleb
05-05-2013, 06:02 AM
Pretty recent ones, I find the lack of old school and classic characters disturbing....

And well, my list:

1 The Big efffffing boss!!!!!!
2 Solid Snake/Liquid Snake/Solidus Snake.
3 John Marston.
4 Sephiroth.
5 Cloud.
6 Haytham Kenway.
7 Altair/Connor.
8 Kratos
9 Scorpion.
10 A K U M A from street fighter.

Splinter Cell is a HUGELY watered down version of the ALMIGHTY Metal Gear Series, and Sam Fisher would be owned by any of the "snake" guys within 3 seconds.....
I do believe it said...5 :P

And the only 'old school' character that had a sort of chance in my list was J.C. Denton but it was rather hard to pick him. Plus Geralt is more than a videogame character.

LoyalACFan
05-05-2013, 06:43 AM
I like all of the AC protagonists, but I feel like none of them really fulfilled their potential. AC1's story took pretty big risks with the religious and political themes, but the "brash young pupil who gradually comes to understand the wisdom of his mentor" thing couldn't be more cliche. Same could be said for Ezio, although he at least had the personal charm to back up his recklessness, and we had the advantage of seeing him grow into old age and develop a more matured personality. As for Connor... I'm not even sure you could call what he had "character development", since nobody could go through the series of relentless tragedies he experienced and still come out as painfully naive as he was in ACIII. He actually seemed to get MORE naive as the game went on; remember the "we have to stop the colonists from encroaching on our land" 15-year-old Connor? Yeah, what happened to that guy? And where did the "I should help the colonists even though I know they're slaveowners and their main general killed my mother" guy come from?

Ugh... And Desmond sucked. Generic everyman game protagonist, whose uber-anticipated modern-day segments in AC3 turned out to be a gigantic kick in the collective balls of the AC fanbase. And he was ludicrously unfazed when he found out he had to die, especially for a guy who "didn't want any of this".

Anyway, in summation;

Altair: 8/10
Ezio: 9/10
Connor: 8/10
Desmond: 2/10 (and he only gets that much because of Nolan North)
Edward: ?/10
2012 Animus user: lol/10

ProletariatPleb
05-05-2013, 06:47 AM
Desmond: 2/10 (and he only gets that much because of Nolan North)

I have to heavily disagree!

I have to disagree, I can't control it anymore! Where do I do it? behind the bush?
Desmond: 1.2/10

Assassin_M
05-05-2013, 06:54 AM
poor Des :/

ProletariatPleb
05-05-2013, 06:59 AM
poor Des :/
Yeah well that's what you get for trying to make a random guy the 'ultimate assassin' and give him no personality.

projectpat06
05-05-2013, 07:29 AM
My list of fav protagonists:

New School:
1. Nathan Drake
2. John Marston
3. Arkham's Batman
4. Booker DeWitt (bioshock infinite was very impressive for a first person shooter)
5. Connor
6. Ezio (mostly from ac2)
7. My skyrim character (honestly this should be higher up bc whats more fun than literally creating or choosing everything about your character and his or her story)

Old School (ps2 and N64):
1.Link
2. Sam Fisher
3. Sora (Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2)
4.Tidus
5. Prince of persia
6. Star Fox

On topic: I voted for edward. I just have a good feeling about his character. Sometimes it's a character's flaws that make them human that can also make them the most intriguing. One of the reasons why I'm also excited about arkham origins. We'll see a more flawed and brash batman.

I also think Aiden Pearce from watchdogs and Joel from The last of us will make their way into my list

poptartz20
05-05-2013, 09:00 AM
Umm.. I'm not sure what this has exactly turned into but if we are just alking about favorite overall characters...

I would say, in no particular order

1. Laharl -- Disgaea Series
2. Haytham Kenway
3. Nathan Drake
4. Kratos -- Tales of Symphonia
5. Kilik -- Soul Calibur. (haha... this is totally random)
6. I would say John M. but I'm actually really late and just started playin RDR 2 days ago. -_-
7. Connor (Kenway)

And this is all I can think of for now. Umm.

Now as far as assassins go, If we look at the games assuming 10/10 is a perfect assassin in every way, none of them actually reach this potential. : | (when you take everything in their lives into account... not just the end of life) Altiar was an original, focused fulfilled by duty, didn't question his cause for this he easily gets an 8.75/10.

Ezio really cleaned up his act by the end of revelations.. not so revenge focused and put things in perspective so Ezio stands at 6.5/10.

Now as for Connor he was the closest thing back to Altair that we could get without going back to the actual character.. haha he was focused, justice was his cause, he endured, and was a brutal machine. On the down side he was naive and the only time he wavered was when he met his father... which was with good reason. I felt as a player I had wavered as well. which ultimately led me to side with the templars at the end of everything but after all that he came back and stood for himself. Connor truly stands by himself with a score of 8.5/10