PDA

View Full Version : So why did Abstergo need Altair's map?

lonelygod91
04-29-2013, 04:01 PM
Hey everyone, new member here but long-time AC fan. Hello to you all :)

I just wanted to share a plot point about the AC games that still bugs me, concerning Desmond's time in Abstergo during AC1. We're told by Lucy that her and Vidic were given a one-week deadline to get Altair's map and hence discover the Pieces of Eden scattered around the globe. However, after playing the Lost Archive, we know now that Vidic wanted Ezio's Apple to place onto the satellite, having discovered this through 16's memories and the codex Daniel Cross found in the Chain comic. My question is, why then did Abstergo need Altair's map if they just wanted this one apple? Why not just start with Ezio? I know Project Siren was designed to trick Desmond into handing Lucy the Apple but it still baffles me as to why they didn't just start with Ezio anyway while Desmond was held prisoner. It would have saved Abstergo a lot of time. Obviously some of the Lucy/Vidic rows in AC1 were faked for Desmond's benefit but Vidic's frustration and impatience about the delay getting to the map seems genuine. I find it hard to believe Vidic and Lucy acted out every emotion in the first game. That just seems kinda silly.

So fundamentally if Ezio's Apple was all they wanted why bother with the map? Backup, in case Project Siren failed?

SaintPerkele
04-29-2013, 04:08 PM
Short answer? Because the developers invented the Project Siren/Brotherhood-twist after AC1 and 2 :D

Long answer, yeah, they probably used it as some backup-plan. Considering that Project Siren could fail (just as it did), Abstergo needed other PoEs to fulfill their plans. We know that they already have a couple of them (Crystal Skulls, the Shroud and maybe some other ones), so we can naturally assume that they want more of them. A map with each location (despite being from the 12th century) was one of the best aids to get more of them. They already did quite a lot of research, as shown in AC1, so the map is probably their way of discovering more about the ones they don't know anything about so far.

But honestly, the short answer is probably what actually happened.

AvK KiNgKoBrA
04-29-2013, 04:11 PM
They wanted it cause one of Abstergo's main goals is to acquire all the POE's they could find, mainly the apples(there's six of them). Also Altairs actions had major effects on Ezio's story, an if we started there would've been so many things untold

lonelygod91
04-29-2013, 07:24 PM
They wanted it cause one of Abstergo's main goals is to acquire all the POE's they could find, mainly the apples(there's six of them). Also Altairs actions had major effects on Ezio's story, an if we started there would've been so many things untold

Didn't they already have four of the Apples though, aside from Ezio's and No. 2, Altair's, which was destroyed in the Denver incident? And yes, Altair's life did impact on Ezio's story but that was years later, when he passed on the memory seals, memories which Desmond could only access through Ezio given that Altair had children by then. I'm guessing the map was a backup but it all comes across a bit strange. Playing the first game again, you can tell the developers hadn't fully mapped out Desmond's story arc yet.

Krayus Korianis
04-29-2013, 07:40 PM
Abstergo did not have Ezio's Apple of Eden. That was safely in Desmond's hands.

Abstergo did try to take the apple by way of Lucy Stillman, their agent on the inside.

lothario-da-be
04-29-2013, 08:05 PM
I think that they also try to collect as much POE as possible to prevent others from finding them. But i'am not completly sure about this.