PDA

View Full Version : The best boss fight in the AC history. [TOKW SPOILERS]

OSantaClownO
04-29-2013, 12:08 PM
I am not sure about you, But I think that the Tyranny of Washington Boss fight (Washington "death") was kinda the best, and a great ending to it.
Good job ubisoft!

SaintPerkele
04-29-2013, 12:43 PM
It could have been the best one, if there was a health bar. Instead the only way to die was getting too close to the edge which was easy to avoid. Wasted potential, but with each AC game it just becomes more and more casual. Shame, because fighting in ToKW was actually pretty challenging now and then, so I expected an epic, rather difficult boss fight - but no.

AC1 is probably still my favourite one. Sliiiiightly challenging at least, classic boss fight (boss has different 'stages', each has to be fought differently, just like King George) and pretty cool setting and atmosphere. AC2 was.. weird (fighting against Rodrigo with your clones was cool, but easy. Also, Rodrigo didn't use any special effects which was sad - fighting Rodrigo with your fists was just outright hilarious and somewhat stupid). ACB was alright, but too easy when you used your gun. I was expecting Cesare to have some other cool moves besides the basic stuff, but it was okay and slightly challenging without medicine. ACR was no bossfight, just a stupid falling-cutscene. ACIII, a chase, that's it.

So yeah, from the very few true boss battles we had, ToKW could have been the best one. You are on top of a huge pyramid, there's a mad guy in the middle who spams different things, from magic balls (ehehe) to clones of himself (classic, but love it), there is some cool dialogue, you have to tackle him with different tactics and you have some pretty cool powers as well. BUT THERE IS NO HEALTH BAR. That ruined it entirely.

Abeonis
04-29-2013, 12:47 PM
It could have been the best one, if there was a health bar. Instead the only way to die was getting too close to the edge which was easy to avoid. Wasted potential, but with each AC game it just becomes more and more casual. Shame, because fighting in ToKW was actually pretty challenging now and then, so I expected an epic, rather difficult boss fight - but no.

AC1 is probably still my favourite one. Sliiiiightly challenging at least, classic boss fight (boss has different 'stages', each has to be fought differently, just like King George) and pretty cool setting and atmosphere. AC2 was.. weird (fighting against Rodrigo with your clones was cool, but easy. Also, Rodrigo didn't use any special effects which was sad - fighting Rodrigo with your fists was just outright hilarious and somewhat stupid). ACB was alright, but too easy when you used your gun. I was expecting Cesare to have some other cool moves besides the basic stuff, but it was okay and slightly challenging without medicine. ACR was no bossfight, just a stupid falling-cutscene. ACIII, a chase, that's it.

So yeah, from the very few true boss battles we had, ToKW could have been the best one. You are on top of a huge pyramid, there's a mad guy in the middle who spams different things, from magic balls (ehehe) to clones of himself (classic, but love it), there is some cool dialogue, you have to tackle him with different tactics and you have some pretty cool powers as well. BUT THERE IS NO HEALTH BAR. That ruined it entirely.

Well, the idea of having no synchronisation bar stems from the fact that Connor cannot be killed by the Apples' powers, unlike his Mother or your other average humans. He can be killed indirectly (e.g. launched off the roof, manipulated into physically (not mentally) shooting himself), but not killed by the Apple blasts themselves.

ProletariatPleb
04-29-2013, 12:50 PM
Depends how you mean, in terms of how it played out, none.

In terms of how the plot brought it up and it was glorious, the AC1 ending battles - Robert and Al Mualim.

SaintPerkele
04-29-2013, 01:33 PM
Well, the idea of having no synchronisation bar stems from the fact that Connor cannot be killed by the Apples' powers, unlike his Mother or your other average humans. He can be killed indirectly (e.g. launched off the roof, manipulated into physically (not mentally) shooting himself), but not killed by the Apple blasts themselves.
Wait, was Connor shooting himself just an example or can that actually happen?

Also, yeah, it makes sense storywise. But sometimes story should be sacrificed for gameplay.

waynedavies89
04-29-2013, 02:05 PM
Sorry, but as far as gameplay goes, it no the best. Why? because you do the same "boss battle" twice before hand in the first 2 DLC's, the only difference is you need to use the Power of the Bear

ArabianFrost
04-29-2013, 02:29 PM
I don't really know if a stealth, parkouring game with no proper jump action should have a boss with this generic, jump-based layout. Maybe it was the best in the series, but it was pretty mediocre compared to other boss fights from different games.

AjinkyaParuleka
04-29-2013, 03:34 PM
how the hell did washington survived that fall which was directly on his spine.

Toa TAK
04-29-2013, 03:47 PM
For me, it's second next to AC1. I think the nail was hit on the head that there was very little challenge and we've been prepped for the boss in previous parts of the DLC before part 3.

AvK KiNgKoBrA
04-29-2013, 03:56 PM
HOLY SH*T!! The part where the clones spawned was so epic! BTW were they modeled after the captain?

AjinkyaParuleka
04-29-2013, 05:35 PM
Washington vs Connor was one the best boss fight I ever saw in the history of AC.The most creepiest thing was when Rahtonhake:ton was reaching for the apply and the person sitting on the throne changed constantly,the most creepy was Connor's,the way he was sitting,that was the most amazing thing ever.

lothario-da-be
04-29-2013, 08:07 PM
There should be no bossfigts in ac, they are easy and stupid, i want assassinations! Only in this dlc i liked the bossfigts.

Shahkulu101
04-29-2013, 08:27 PM
Oh those were Washington's clones that spawned all I got was a plain grey human manicans, a lot on the streets of NY too. Very disappointed with this!

Megas_Doux
04-29-2013, 10:43 PM
There should be no bossfigts in ac, they are easy and stupid, i want assassinations! Only in this dlc i liked the bossfigts.

Al Mualim and Robert De Sable were pretty solid, at least to me.

ze_topazio
04-30-2013, 12:22 AM
We could use some Metal Gear Solid style boss fights in this series, not many, but occasionally we could have a target as skilled as us that would require us to use all our assassination skills to find him and kill him, something like the fight against The End in MGS3 for example.

SixKeys
04-30-2013, 12:34 AM
We could use some Metal Gear Solid style boss fights in this series, not many, but occasionally we could have a target as skilled as us that would require us to use all our assassination skills to find him and kill him, something like the fight against The End in MGS3 for example.

AC2's lead-up to the Rodrigo boss fight was pretty good. You got to sneak around and fight guards in equal measure. The only thing it could have used as an extra would have been some investigation skills, like using Eagle Vision or eavesdropping on guard conversations to track down Rodrigo's whereabouts. The build-up was great, only the fight itself was lame.

Megas_Doux
04-30-2013, 12:43 AM
AC2's lead-up to the Rodrigo boss fight was pretty good. You got to sneak around and fight guards in equal measure. The only thing it could have used as an extra would have been some investigation skills, like using Eagle Vision or eavesdropping on guard conversations to track down Rodrigo's whereabouts. The build-up was great, only the fight itself was lame.

Indeed!

Jesper Kyd did his best job ever, at least to me, on AC2. However that "battle" music was also lame, a letdown from AC1.

SixKeys
04-30-2013, 03:06 AM
Indeed!

Jesper Kyd did his best job ever, at least to me, on AC2. However that "battle" music was also lame, a letdown from AC1.

You mean this one? Seriously? It's one of my favorite AC tracks of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-11s1rWrH9o

Megas_Doux
04-30-2013, 03:35 AM
You mean this one? Seriously? It's one of my favorite AC tracks of all time.

Out of all the "boss battles" tracks such as Access the animus, Battle in Spain/villa under attack and Breaching Walls, that is probably my least favorite!

I think this one is much more epic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dsLck3vfxI

Quirky Jezza
04-30-2013, 11:38 AM
Tyranny of King Washington had some amazing soundtracks. I really loved the ones before the first Boss FIght :D. I like how they kept the same theme during boss fights through all episodes. I just wish they were longer :(.

Lead up to the boss fight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYiZ52LX5bY&list=PLQFYo6DJYOeanyUC1W8A6K0Jin2fM6ssZ

Boss arrival:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo3yYsopVns&list=PLQFYo6DJYOeanyUC1W8A6K0Jin2fM6ssZ

Boss Fight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWlogZ18LAA&list=PLQFYo6DJYOeanyUC1W8A6K0Jin2fM6ssZ

AssassinHMS
04-30-2013, 12:00 PM

Exactly. No more boss fights. A clean and swift assassination has more impact than a fight ever would.

pacmanate
04-30-2013, 01:25 PM
I think the Boss fight worked well in this DLC. But never do it again plz.

SixKeys
04-30-2013, 02:48 PM
Exactly. No more boss fights. A clean and swift assassination has more impact than a fight ever would.

I dunno, I think the endings would be lame if all we had to do was sneak our way into some fortress and kill the big bad with one jab of the hidden blade. How boring would AC1's ending have been if Al Mualim's assassination played out exactly like William de Montferrat's? In AC2, what if the game had ended after you air-assassinated Rodrigo?

ProletariatPleb
04-30-2013, 02:54 PM
I dunno, I think the endings would be lame if all we had to do was sneak our way into some fortress and kill the big bad with one jab of the hidden blade. How boring would AC1's ending have been if Al Mualim's assassination played out exactly like William de Montferrat's? In AC2, what if the game had ended after you air-assassinated Rodrigo?
A boss fight, if any should still use the game's main mechanics, not add something new randomly, for example in Brotherhood we have to tap button to strike off piece of armour of Cesare, that was ******ed, lol.

Or Revelations' battling in mid-air.

SixKeys
04-30-2013, 02:59 PM
A boss fight, if any should still use the game's main mechanics, not add something new randomly, for example in Brotherhood we have to tap button to strike off piece of armour of Cesare, that was ******ed, lol.

Or Revelations' battling in mid-air.

Agreed, but AC1's boss fight was pretty good in that regard. No QTEs, just plain old fighting and using Eagle Vision to identify your real target. ToKW was the first boss fight since AC1 to come close to a proper end battle as you had to use all the skills you had gained throughout the DLC to fight the boss. I prefer an epic boss fight (cheesy or not) to a lame QTE like almost all the assassinations in AC3 or a fist fight like AC2 (seriously, while the idea of punching the Pope is funny, it was still embarrassing).

ProletariatPleb
04-30-2013, 03:03 PM
Agreed, but AC1's boss fight was pretty good in that regard. No QTEs, just plain old fighting and using Eagle Vision to identify your real target. ToKW was the first boss fight since AC1 to come close to a proper end battle as you had to use all the skills you had gained throughout the DLC to fight the boss. I prefer an epic boss fight (cheesy or not) to a lame QTE like almost all the assassinations in AC3 or a fist fight like AC2 (seriously, while the idea of punching the Pope is funny, it was still embarrassing).
Yeah I'm fine with AC1 style boss fights. Dislike when they introduce a new mechanic suddenly which is completely unrelated and not needed(cannons for example or commanding troops to fire.) that just breaks the game for me.

Assassin_M
04-30-2013, 09:05 PM
I disagree, personally, my favorite boss fight is Almualim`s...mainly because there was actually health there

Toa TAK
04-30-2013, 09:26 PM
So we can all agree that AC1 and TOKW-styled boss fights are good? I loved them.

Assassin_M
04-30-2013, 09:32 PM
So we can all agree that AC1 and TOKW-styled boss fights are good? I loved them.
provided each has a unique flavor....ToKW had those animal powers and AC I had the Apple`s illusions from making clones to searching for Almualim and draining his power

Farlander1991
04-30-2013, 09:46 PM
I would say ToKW boss fight is the best AC boss fight so far.

AC1 boss fight has a good concept, but it suffers from the broken combat system (i.e. counter as dominant strategy and having to purposely restrain yourself from using it to make the battle more interesting).

ToKW boss fight has almost everything. It's got a difficulty curve, clear visualization of what the boss is going to do (and a bit of trial and error learning curve to understand said visual signs), you have to use your abilities to defeat him and from a narrative perspective it's a really good juxtaposition to the fight with Washington from the first episode.

However, it suffers from not being able to fail (except when falling down from a VERY large arena).

But, ToKW doesn't use any of the core AC concepts (just the ones created specifically for the DLC), and I would really like to see a good core-based AC boss battle.

ProletariatPleb
04-30-2013, 09:54 PM
I liked that we had to use everything we learned, but the 'boss' fight TOKW as easy as hell, everything was predictable and I had no trouble with it, the only thing I felt was that it was oddly longer than it should be, repeating the same moves for a while before Washington changed his strategy.

AssassinHMS
04-30-2013, 11:10 PM

Even though I enjoyed Al Mualim's boss fight I would have prefered to inflitrate Masyaf, reach Al Mualim undetected through the fortress' dark and dangerous paths and linger on a beam above Al Mualim watching him cotroling the citizens until I decided to put an end to it and air assassinate him or perform a leap of faith and finish him with a running assassination.
As for AC2 I personaly think air assassinating Rodrigo right before he said "Amen" in front of all the Vaticano would be perfect.

Megas_Doux
04-30-2013, 11:28 PM
Even though I enjoyed Al Mualim's boss fight I would have prefered to inflitrate Masyaf, reach Al Mualim undetected through the fortress' dark and dangerous paths and linger on a beam above Al Mualim watching him cotroling the citizens until I decided to put an end to it and air assassinate him or perform a leap of faith and finish him with a running assassination.
As for AC2 I personaly think air assassinating Rodrigo right before he said "Amen" in front of all the Vaticano would be perfect.

Well, Al Mualim was the "master" of the assassins for Horus knows how many years!!!!!!!!!! He was skilled to the point of fooling both orders too, and almost succeeding in his scheme, I think AC1īs battle was the "correct way" to finish it.

Rugterwyper32
04-30-2013, 11:30 PM
One of the things I liked about TokW's final boss is that you have this whole last area before it that uses all the elements the DLC introduced and puts you to the test using them in a last area before the end. AC2 ALMOST has that, except that the final boss is pathetic (though hilarious).

I think those should be good bases for future bossfights. An entire area before the boss that puts your stealth and navigation skills to the test and a test of your combat skills against the boss. In a way, Haytham in AC3 kinda fits that to a degree, except for the fact it's not the final battle and the fight itself is rather weak.

WarriorAegis
05-01-2013, 06:33 PM
I personally thought the fight with Washington was epic. And I agree with sidspyker that using all the animal powers we had was awesome.

I really do wish there had been a health bar, but instead of Animal powers draining health, you only lost health from Washington, just to make it possible.