PDA

View Full Version : Will there be static idiot enemies in the game?

MagixJonsn
04-26-2013, 03:22 PM
One thing I dislike in many RPG is, that enemies always stay on certain places. They just guard the squaremeter grass they are standing on and do nothing else - waiting for the player to attack him. At best they walk around 2 meters and then back again. Dragon Age is a perfect example for this malpractice.

How will MMX handle this?

narupley
04-26-2013, 03:55 PM
One thing I dislike in many RPG is, that enemies always stay on certain places. They just guard the squaremeter grass they are standing on and do nothing else - waiting for the player to attack him. At best they walk around 2 meters and then back again. Dragon Age is a perfect example for this malpractice.

How will MMX handle this?

Generally, M&M is known for dynamic idiot enemies, not static idiot enemies. They'll pretty much follow you wherever you go, so long as you don't stray outside their interest bubble. You can fly over several groups of enemies in concentric circles until they're all in one big orgy and then slam them all with meteor shower. You can even lure an enemy into town and let the guards take care of it.

GrakorTheOrc
04-27-2013, 12:10 AM
Since the game uses the same movement system as World of Xeen, enemies will probably act in a similar fashion, though it's hard to say right now since it's still early. In WoX, enemies moved towards you every "round" (that is, whenever you moved) until they were in melee range of you in order to lock you in place. If they had ranged attacks, they'd shoot and move towards you at the same time.

As I recall, WoX enemies would chase you relentlessly unless you somehow got outside of the distance where enemies would be drawn (which I believe in that game was three tiles in any direction, possible to escape if you're on the edge of their range or if you use teleport magic or something.)

We'll see exactly how MMX does it.

MagixJonsn
04-27-2013, 09:44 AM
In combat - yes. But what's the behavior outside combat? Will enemies just stand around like statues in the environment doing nothing or will the enemies move around so you need to to be careful where you're walking?

Btw. I don't why I am aksing in here anyways... we've never received an official answer yet...

GrakorTheOrc
04-27-2013, 05:41 PM
That actually was out of combat. There was little distinction for being "In combat" In WoX, just that once an enemy entered the same tile as you, you couldn't move. Everything else was "out of combat," including ranged combat and monsters moving every time you take a step.

Of course, don't know if MMX is going to work the same way, but it looks like it'll at least be similar, with all the nods to the previous game it's making.

Ravens Klaws
05-12-2013, 12:04 AM
naruplay:Generally, M&M is known for dynamic idiot enemies, not static idiot enemies. They'll pretty much follow you wherever you go, so long as you don't stray outside their interest bubble. You can fly over several groups of enemies in concentric circles until they're all in one big orgy and then slam them all with meteor shower. You can even lure an enemy into town and let the guards take care of it.
cheers might and magic 7 for teaching us that one at the beggining of the game.think im joking?nope. its the best way to get all the stuff without the negative side effects later(if the second wand spawns, or if you enter the temple first you can kill the dragon with both wands in the unpatched cd game version)

it all depends how they have been programmed. in the early part of mm7 the recommended way is to lead the dragonflies into town to get the staff without its negative side effect quest.(using fire resistance and day of the gods pedastals helps, but the haste pedastal was never programmed in properly and doesn't work and the spell is a bit 50/50)id call them idiotic. actually all of the AI in this game is pretty dim.
in mm6 and mm8 however they will most of the time ignore the townfolk and keep going after you.although i will say in mm8 they where never playtested, monsters get stuck in corridoors if they are too large(druid circle in murmurwoods for easy kills and a big example) and will often attack and even sometimes kill each other and almost all of the time walks over traps. but to be honest the AI has one job to do, so what does it matter?
kinda looks like it won't matter as you might be locked in combat, but all the footage is old so who knows.

LE-Larissa
06-19-2013, 02:42 PM
Hi guys,

Interesting discussion!

We'll have some more info about the battle system of MMX on the blog (https://mightandmagicx-legacy.ubi.com/opendev/blog) soon. We'll also keep this question in mind, when revealing details.

However if I had to pick one of your descriptions, that's the most similar to ours, I'd say that GrakorTheOrc's description comes closest:

Since the game uses the same movement system as World of Xeen, enemies will probably act in a similar fashion, though it's hard to say right now since it's still early. In WoX, enemies moved towards you every "round" (that is, whenever you moved) until they were in melee range of you in order to lock you in place. If they had ranged attacks, they'd shoot and move towards you at the same time.

As I recall, WoX enemies would chase you relentlessly unless you somehow got outside of the distance where enemies would be drawn (which I believe in that game was three tiles in any direction, possible to escape if you're on the edge of their range or if you use teleport magic or something.)

We'll see exactly how MMX does it.

Stay tuned ;)

LE-Larissa
08-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Hi guys,

As promised, please find some details on the combat system on the blog (https://mightandmagicx-legacy.ubi.com/opendev/blog/post/view/520375a2e754b62e12000000) now!

Looking forward to your thoughts and feedback!

Anna (LE-Larissa)

windezz
08-19-2013, 10:56 PM
Spent couple hours killing stuff outside the first town - some mobs roamed a little bit when they weren't aggroed, and they did pursue once you were spotted, but somehow I was able to get away after staying out of their line of sight for a couple turns. Although a lot of groups were still static idiots who just stood there until you aggro them.

In combat the melee mobs generally would charge to melee range, no surprise there, but some archers seemed to take a few shots and then charged into melee... You can also just aggro, and move around the corner so that they move up and stop right before you.

I'm not sure if it's bug or not, but some of the archer mobs had the skill "Retaliation," the skill description seems to suggest that they could retaliate against the first melee attack per round, but they were actually retaliating against every single melee hits. They did more damage via Retaliation than shooting arrows or attacking in melee!