PDA

View Full Version : Connor in French Revolution in Future AC

Bastiaen
04-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Here's what I expect:
Connor will be back in a future AC game.
It will be French Revolution.
Here's the hook:
In AC3, Connor has a conversation with LaFayette, in which the latter says that after the war is over, he'll invite Connor to France. In real world history, Lafayette was executed during the French revolution and his family fled to the U.S.
Could this be a lead for Connor?

Sushiglutton
04-22-2013, 09:16 PM
I think that is a really bad idea tbh, sorry. Connor would be so out of place in the French revolution. Connor is at home in the wild. Running around Paris and dealing with French politicians and aristocats would feel awkward to say the least. I would love a French revolution game, but I want to play as a French assassin. I don't really want another Connor game, but if Ubi makes one I think it should take place in US (Connor could go West) or maybe South America.

Bastiaen
04-22-2013, 09:18 PM
Honestly, I would prefer for Connor to do something in South America, I"m just pointing out that they left this lead in the game.

Assassin_M
04-22-2013, 09:23 PM
I want this...out place plot themes can be pretty interesting...they had a chance with this in ACR, but that was pretty much brushed aside....this can show Connor learning french and understanding their customs...i`d love it...a totally new atmosphere for Connor. Something that can truly bring out a new element in his character. Him remaining in the US will only be marred by tragedy and more loss which wouldn't really do anything to advance his person. I also liked Lafayette...he was pretty cool guy and more face time with him can be pretty intriguing, also, something with Stephan.

Stephan comes with Connor and he`s too reckless which causes some tragedy and he and Connor learn and teach other some subtlety....I swear this can be awesome if done right

Sushiglutton
04-22-2013, 09:27 PM
Honestly, I would prefer for Connor to do something in South America, I"m just pointing out that they left this lead in the game.

I think your reason (Lafayette) for bringing Connor to FR is fine, but like I said I would prefer if he went elsewhere :). I was actually pretty hyped for that Brazil game that was rumoured lol.

Bastiaen
04-22-2013, 09:30 PM
I think your reason (Lafayette) for bringing Connor to FR is fine, but like I said I would prefer if he went elsewhere :). I was actually pretty hyped for that Brazil game that was rumoured lol.

Me too. Tree running through the Amazon would be a dream come true for me. I really, really wanted this. Maybe we'll still see it.

Sushiglutton
04-22-2013, 09:37 PM
Me too. Tree running through the Amazon would be a dream come true for me. I really, really wanted this. Maybe we'll still see it.

A fully detailed Amazonas on next gen systems, with treerunning would indeed be real yummy :)!

guardian_titan
04-22-2013, 10:24 PM
Lafayette didn't die during the French Revolution. :confused: He was banished and his family's estate was taken over by the rebelling people. Lafayette actually returned to the United States to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the American Revolution. Lafayette didn't die until 1834 in Paris, France (from the flu) so well after the French Revolution. He actually returned to France after the French Revolution and was part of the new government after Napoleon got trounced at Waterloo. And believe it or not, Lafayette was barely 20 during the course of the game (he was born in 1757) so he's actually younger than Connor. Also another interesting fact, Lafayette was recently made an honorary US citizen. About 200 years late, but late is better than never given what the guy did for the United States. :p

As for the French Revolution, how many big events really take place from 1782-1830? Beyond having Connor fight a losing battle to protect the Native Americans from being displaced by the US government, the only real option (that isn't massively depressing) is for him to take on the French Revolution and possibly the War of 1812. The War of 1812 being another US vs Britain war, I can see Connor or his son/daughter participating in that just because his home is threatened. Suppose that'd be 2 more games for Connor right there. French Revolution for AC3.2 and War of 1812 for AC3.3. :)

If you follow the chatter between Connor and the assassin recruits, Duncan Little also says he wants to take Connor to Ireland if only for a laugh. So Connor would have two possible places he could go if he went to Europe. Then he could go to England as well to see Jenny if she still lives. There's no mention of her death in Forsaken despite her being around 66-67 when Haytham died.

There's certainly places for Connor to go and character development he could get. I think it'd be amusing to listen to Connor try to learn French and Lafayette get flustered when he can't pronounce it right. :p

TheHumanTowel
04-22-2013, 11:22 PM
I would hate Connor in the French Revolution. Don't tell me no one would notice a bloody Native American who doesn't speak French or know anything about french culture and customs having a pivotal part to play in the Revolution. The french revolution is just far far more suited to an actual french assassin who has a personal stake in the revolution. Connor has no stake in France other than "muh freedom" and "gotta get those templars". Also it opens the door for Stephane to come back and he's the worst AC character of all time.

BATISTABUS
04-23-2013, 12:25 AM
My problem with Connor going to France for the French Revolution has nothing to do with his ethnicity (at least, not that alone). It has to do with his motivations and his duty. His primary responsibilities are (1) to his people and (2) to the Assassins. His people (the Kanienke'ha:ka) have absolutely NOTHING to do with France. They are still alive and struggling, and it would not serve them better if he aided the cause. EVERYTHING he does, he does through the lens of the well-being of his people. As for the Brotherhood, Connor has a primary responsibility to the American Brotherhood, which is in an extremely fragile state. The direction of the American Brotherhood in AC3 and moving forward more or less depend on the will of Connor alone. If anything, it would make more sense for an awesome French mentor to come to him to help him along. If the French Revolution took place when Connor was much older, then fine, but it's 6 years after the events of AC3. This would not be enough time for him to build up the Brotherhood to a point where it could be left alone, especially with the nation constantly gaining territory.

Also, if the French Assassins somehow needed a single person to aid in their conflict, wouldn't Aveline be a better candidate, considering she...you know...speaks French? Furthermore, what do Connor or Aveline have to offer the French to begin with? They don't have secret Brotherhood wisdom, and they don't have decades of experience with training. They're not such unstoppable forces that their involvement would seem so significant to the French Assassins. Connor was "involved" in the American Revolution, but as far as helping the French goes, there are much better political (non-Assassin) candidates.

The only thing that makes the French Revolution appealing to me is the architecture. I didn't think I was going to miss it as much as I did in AC3. Maybe it had to do with how inaccessible roof-running was...either way, I'm up for a visual change of pace. If they could make it a sweet co-op adventure in France with Connor and Aveline, it might end up pretty cool...as long as they find a way to keep tree-running in.

killerman_2012
05-15-2013, 10:18 AM
I would hate Connor in the French Revolution. Don't tell me no one would notice a bloody Native American who doesn't speak French or know anything about french culture and customs having a pivotal part to play in the Revolution. The french revolution is just far far more suited to an actual french assassin who has a personal stake in the revolution. Connor has no stake in France other than "muh freedom" and "gotta get those templars". Also it opens the door for Stephane to come back and he's the worst AC character of all time.

mmm... do you know about the miscegenation in France? France had colonies in Africa. BTW it would be funny seeing how Connor learns french language and culture xD
I really hope Ubisoft makes an AC placed in the French Revolution after Black Flag with Connor as protagonist, or at least, as a side character...

How about if we play as Connor's wife? it would be a chance to have a female character (on main consoles). Connor's wife could be french, it would be nice :D

MasterAssasin84
05-15-2013, 01:10 PM
I think that is a really bad idea tbh, sorry. Connor would be so out of place in the French revolution. Connor is at home in the wild. Running around Paris and dealing with French politicians and aristocats would feel awkward to say the least. I would love a French revolution game, but I want to play as a French assassin. I don't really want another Connor game, but if Ubi makes one I think it should take place in US (Connor could go West) or maybe South America.

Which does bring me to my next question is it safe to say we have seen the last of Connor now the DLC has finished ! :( sad times to say the least )

Spider_Sith9
05-15-2013, 01:16 PM
Which does bring me to my next question is it safe to say we have seen the last of Connor now the DLC has finished ! :( sad times to say the least )

Possibly.

MasterAssasin84
05-15-2013, 01:23 PM
Possibly.

What a bummer !! i enjoyed tree running through the beautiful secenery of the Frontier ! oh well such as life

AherasSTRG
05-15-2013, 01:28 PM
Seeing a native American in Europe, now that would need some good orchestrating in part of the writer... I do not see it as much of an option. Aveline would be more fitting in such a setting.

dxsxhxcx
05-15-2013, 01:48 PM
IMO this excuse that Connor would be out of place in France is so weak, it's said in AC3 that Achilles taught Connor many things, including philosophy and literature, it's not like Connor is only a savage like many people may think he's just because of his heritage, also different customs and language didn't seem to be a problem when Ezio was in his quest for knowledge in Constantinople during ACR, IMO Connor in France would make a great game (much better than AC3), there they would be able to expand his character further and show us what he learned from his past mistakes in AC3, Connor look a lot more like Altair than Ezio did and I can see him following Altair's footsteps showing us a lot of wisdom that wasn't explored in AC3 due to his naivety...

MasterAssasin84
05-15-2013, 01:54 PM
IMO this excuse that Connor would be out of place in France is so weak, it's said in AC3 that Achilles taught Connor many things, including philosophy and literature, it's not like Connor is only a savage like many people may think he's just because of his heritage, also different customs and language didn't seem to be a problem when Ezio was in his quest for knowledge in Constantinople during ACR, IMO Connor in France would make a great game (much better than AC3), there they would be able to expand his character further and show us what he learned from his past mistakes in AC3, Connor look a lot more like Altair than Ezio did and I can see him following Altair's footsteps showing us a lot of wisdom that wasn't explored in AC3 due to his naivety...

I agree, its a very week argument that the Assassin is only prominent in a place that fits their heritage and birth right.. whats to stop Connor going to Europe to discover my about his family ties ? The Assassins was a global entitiy with a presence in most major events in history... Were there are Templars there will always be Assassins .

Funbun777
05-15-2013, 10:22 PM
It could work but the whole Lafayette's family fleeing after he was executed thing is wrong he died in 1834 from disease

Funbun777
05-15-2013, 10:25 PM
Also I once read of a Native American woman who became part of European nobility soo a half native could fit in he could easily pass as italian

Assassin_M
05-15-2013, 10:25 PM
he could easily pass as italian
Achilles.....you`re supposed to be dead :P

TheHumanTowel
05-15-2013, 11:02 PM
mmm... do you know about the miscegenation in France? France had colonies in Africa. BTW it would be funny seeing how Connor learns french language and culture xD
I really hope Ubisoft makes an AC placed in the French Revolution after Black Flag with Connor as protagonist, or at least, as a side character...

How about if we play as Connor's wife? it would be a chance to have a female character (on main consoles). Connor's wife could be french, it would be nice
The large majority of French people, particularly people involved in the revolution, were white. A strange native american being heavily involved in the revolution would obviously draw attention.

Ezio was a mediterranian man in a mediterranian country. Constantinople was an important trading hub. Italians would have been extremely common there. It's not remotely comparable to Connor coming to France.

Assassin_M
05-15-2013, 11:11 PM
A strange native american being heavily involved in the revolution would obviously draw attention.
Connor going around France: "vivent la révolution!! je suis un indigène d'Amérique, tout le monde d`accord ?"

I-Like-Pie45
05-15-2013, 11:12 PM
They'll find a way to get around that.

Maybe Connor will dye his skin white to blend in.

Assassin_M
05-15-2013, 11:14 PM
They'll find a way to get around that.

Maybe Connor will dye his skin white to blend in.
Parisian powder

GreySkellig
05-15-2013, 11:16 PM
Votre français est très bon, l'homme loup. Mais pourquoi êtes-vous ici?

Assassin_M
05-15-2013, 11:19 PM
l'homme loup.
you made me spill pepsi from my nose

Sigv4rd
05-16-2013, 04:31 AM
At this point are people really concerned about Connor fitting in with French society considering the fact that he dresses like a Giant White Eagle Warrior Commando Pimp He-Man and still somehow manages to blend in with 18th century colonial society. If anything in France he will blend in as an eccentric nobleman who collects weapons and likes the color white a little too much... So Ezio logic :cool:
VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!!

floydmerry
05-16-2013, 05:12 AM
Sounds right on. It is strange that the AC serious would visit another character before continuing Connor's story, but the setting historically sounds solid.

GreySkellig
05-16-2013, 05:19 AM
Personally, I'm ready to move back in time, not forward. 1715 Caribbean is a step in the right direction (backwards) and is sufficiently different from AC3 that I'm okay with it. (Tropical, probably a heavier emphasis on melee enemies, diverse cities.) But I really want the next game to take us back in time and out of the western world.

shop5107FB585
05-16-2013, 07:56 AM
Haven't read the whole thing, but OP, Lafayette wasn't executed during the French Revolution he died in 1834.

MasterAssasin84
05-16-2013, 02:45 PM
Personally, I'm ready to move back in time, not forward. 1715 Caribbean is a step in the right direction (backwards) and is sufficiently different from AC3 that I'm okay with it. (Tropical, probably a heavier emphasis on melee enemies, diverse cities.) But I really want the next game to take us back in time and out of the western world.

I agree with this i do not want Assassins Creed to go any further than the 17th century.

Spider_Sith9
05-16-2013, 03:29 PM
I agree with this i do not want Assassins Creed to go any further than the 17th century.

Firearms?

GreySkellig
05-16-2013, 04:04 PM
During the 17th century firearms were still fairly uncommon off the battlefield. The Swiss and Swedes were the main advocates of their use, and employed them in military formations, but most city watch etc. would still have carried swords and pikes. Which I miss, by the way. Was playing AC:R the other day and remembered how much more of a challenge those pike enemies were. You had to get the right move in quick or they'd jab you a bunch of times.

Really though, I'm thinking farther back. I'd like to cross the 1000 AD line at the very least, and I'd really like to get out of Southern Europe/the Mediterranean world. Either Northern Europe or the Eastern hemisphere. Norway, England, China, Russia. The important thing to me is getting away from Renaissance and Post-Renaissance Europe.

MasterSimaYi
05-16-2013, 04:58 PM

And yet AC3, AC3L and AC4BF are set in the 18th century.

Anyway, I share HumanTowel's opinion. It would make for bad storytelling; just dumping Connor in the French Revolution because they can, not because it's the most logical thing to do. Also the amount of times I've heard this 'idea' is off-putting.

And it really makes no sense to think "Oh, the well-known French politican Robespierre? Yeah, he was actually killed by a foreign young Native American who spearheaded the French Revolution."

GreySkellig
05-16-2013, 05:09 PM

In my book it's one too many in that century. Stick around in one locale/time period too long and it starts to wear out. I'm okay with the foray into more recent history, but I think it's time to turn around and head back in time. That said, Black Flag looks different and exotic enough that I'm still interested.

Spider_Sith9
05-16-2013, 06:04 PM

Anyway, I share HumanTowel's opinion. It would make for bad storytelling; just dumping Connor in the French Revolution because they can, not because it's the most logical thing to do. Also the amount of times I've heard this 'idea' is off-putting.

And it really makes no sense to think "Oh, the well-known French politican Robespierre? Yeah, he was actually killed by a foreign young Native American who spearheaded the French Revolution."
Then where do you think Connor should go?

MasterSimaYi
05-16-2013, 06:12 PM

Nowhere, let him stay in North America. Finish his story via a novel or comics. I'm no fan of having one character's story spread out over multiple games or reusing the same setting. As someone on the Wiki suggested, he can somehow be involved in the Northwest Indian War, and I think that's about as far as misery should go for Connor. Let him focus on rebuilding his Brotherhood from the lovely manor he inherited.

GreySkellig
05-16-2013, 06:15 PM

Personally, I think we've seen the last of Connor. Much as I hate to say it (I did like him) I don't think it makes sense to try and cram him into world events just to bring him back. I mean, you could maybe try to do something with the War of 1812, but I don't think we need another "old assassin" game, and this period will be kinda petered out after AC4.

MasterSimaYi
05-16-2013, 06:18 PM
Personally, I think we've seen the last of Connor. Much as I hate to say it (I did like him) I don't think it makes sense to try and cram him into world events just to bring him back. I mean, you could maybe try to do something with the War of 1812, but I don't think we need another "old assassin" game, and this period will be kinda petered out after AC4.

Novels are a perfect medium to conclude storylines and to explain unexplored secondary plot points. I'd love to read a novel to see the know the rest of Connor's story, but I really don't want another Connor game. Ubisoft should release more unique novels. I think those would sell better than the game novelizations we've had so far.

Rugterwyper32
05-16-2013, 06:21 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't mind if they made another Connor game set in the Northwestern Indian War SO LONG as it was a portable spinoff (Vita or 3DS) and not made into a main game. Lost Legacy was cannibalized by Revelations and we ended up having a game that I'm sure took resources and time that could have been used for AC3. And I personally saw it as one more reason to get a 3DS (which I'll be getting soon enough as I want Fire Emblem Awakening now and Zelda: Alttp2 once it's out, among other games). So I think I'd appreciate if they made a smaller-scale portable game based on Connor during those times while focusing on new games for other consoles. Better if it's for the 3DS in my opinion, as I have many more reasons to want it than a Vita, but that's me.

MasterSimaYi
05-16-2013, 06:24 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't mind if they made another Connor game set in the Northwestern Indian War SO LONG as it was a portable spinoff (Vita or 3DS) and not made into a main game. Lost Legacy was cannibalized by Revelations and we ended up having a game that I'm sure took resources and time that could have been used for AC3. And I personally saw it as one more reason to get a 3DS (which I'll be getting soon enough as I want Fire Emblem Awakening now and Zelda: Alttp2 once it's out, among other games). So I think I'd appreciate if they made a smaller-scale portable game based on Connor during those times while focusing on new games for other consoles. Better if it's for the 3DS in my opinion, as I have many more reasons to want it than a Vita, but that's me.

Better it be on the Vita, because I really enjoyed Assassin's Creed III: Liberation. :p

Spider_Sith9
05-16-2013, 07:22 PM
Nowhere, let him stay in North America. Finish his story via a novel or comics. I'm no fan of having one character's story spread out over multiple games or reusing the same setting. As someone on the Wiki suggested, he can somehow be involved in the Northwest Indian War, and I think that's about as far as misery should go for Connor. Let him focus on rebuilding his Brotherhood from the lovely manor he inherited.

Then no one would buy it/scrap it as it sucks. People will judge Connor by his AC3 incarnation and nothing more. You saw what happened to Altair. People only think he's better/decent because of Revelations. Not AC, Bloodlines or TSC. No one even cares about Aveline (granted the game had a boring story and was more of a reskinned AC2 than anything so they lied. Not to mention the Continue Bug).

People hated Altair's Chronicles? Why would a linear 2.5D game work for Connor? I mean it'd make since for swinging (Altair having a Grappling Hook was bizarre) since he has a Rope Dart but still.

Rugterwyper32
05-16-2013, 07:30 PM
People hated Altair's Chronicles? Why would a linear 2.5D game work for Connor? I mean it'd make since for swinging (Altair having a Grappling Hook was bizarre) since he has a Rope Dart but still.

Not thinking much about Altair's Chronicles style, but thinking about something closer to Bloodlines which I'm sure the 3DS could handle. I definitely would get that. Not sure what they were aiming for with Lost Legacy, but I'm thinking it might have been Bloodlines style? The world may never know.
There was also Discovery which admittedly felt more like a Sonic game with an Assassin's Creed skin, but that's a whole other story.

MasterSimaYi
05-16-2013, 07:45 PM
Then no one would buy it/scrap it as it sucks. People will judge Connor by his AC3 incarnation and nothing more. You saw what happened to Altair. People only think he's better/decent because of Revelations. Not AC, Bloodlines or TSC. No one even cares about Aveline (granted the game had a boring story and was more of a reskinned AC2 than anything so they lied. Not to mention the Continue Bug).

I didn't mean for that to be in a game, but to be explored via another medium. If people don't buy other media, that doesn't change my opinion on that I think it would be the best thing for Ubisoft to do in regards to Connor's story. Most fans I know have read or at least read up on the novels and comics, so I don't see how that is much of a problem. I tend to just mentally block all the people on YouTube who are completely ignorant or oblivious to the existence of Assassin's Creed media aside from the games. It's been a franchise for quite some time; I think it should explore it's full potential as one.

killerman_2012
05-18-2013, 12:35 PM
All of you forget that Connor is half english. Achilles said that his skin is white enough to pass off as being Spanish or Italian. I'm still believe that would be a good idea seeing Connor in the French Revolution. Or at least his hypothetical french wife as I said before.

Also you have to think that people mature when the years pass. Connor in the French Revolution would have 33 yo at the begining and 44 at the end. He would be wise and more intelligent.