PDA

View Full Version : How is Forsaken?

jamgamerforever
04-19-2013, 11:51 AM
So I've tried to read both "Renaissance" and "The Secret Crusade", and found both of them to be rather lackluster, so much so that I didn't finish either.

I'm aware that "Forsaken" is actually not a novelisation like the others, and instead focuses on the entirety of Haytham's life (a character I very much enjoy). Does Bowden's style improve due to the fact he's not straight up adapting a video game to paper?

Also, how much does the novel cover Edward's life? If it's going to cover a lot of what happens in AC4, I'd rather just read it after October.

Thanks in advance.

pacmanate
04-19-2013, 12:27 PM
GOOD. Read it, I have just gotten half way into the book where Haytham goes to Boston and meets Charles. I think I got bored with one chapter, but it was only like 7 pages long. I would recommend reading it.

CalledChip4200
04-19-2013, 12:34 PM
I've read the other books but I haven't read Forsaken yet but I've seen a lot of quotes from the book. From what I've read, it does cover Edward's life to some extent and (I think) Connor's too. But I've seen how it is written to cover Haytham's life and if you're a fan of his, I think it's definitely worth reading now. From what I've read it does seem far more interesting than the other books. However, if you don't like spoilers, I think it's best to save it till after October

pacmanate
04-19-2013, 12:36 PM
I've read the other books but I haven't read Forsaken yet but I've seen a lot of quotes from the book. From what I've read, it does cover Edward's life to some extent and (I think) Connor's too. But I've seen how it is written to cover Haytham's life and if you're a fan of his, I think it's definitely worth reading now. From what I've read it does seem far more interesting than the other books. However, if you don't like spoilers, I think it's best to save it till after October

Nope. It doesn't cover Edwards life at all, sure hes in it, but he dies very early on anyway. Its more about Haytham as a child and how he feels secluded from people, no friends etc. Ive only read half the book so far, but Connor doesn't pop up until the end. Its Haythams diary.

Kaschra
04-19-2013, 01:01 PM
It's written in first person, from Haytham's point of view. Haytham didn't know anything about Edward's former life, so there aren't any spoilers for AC4.

The other Assassin's Creed book i read was Renaissance, and I didn't like it that much. All that Cristina drama just annoyed me, and Ezio seemed really OOC.
So it was a real surprise that I liked Forsaken so much. Seriously, I couldn't stop reading xD
The bigger part of the book is not covered in AC3, so you learn a lot about Haytham's life and what changed him later on. A lot of things in AC3 make more sense after reading the book.

jamgamerforever
04-19-2013, 01:19 PM
Alright, thanks guys. Looks like I'll pick this up!

silvermercy
04-19-2013, 01:22 PM
I haven't read it yet but I keep hearing this is one of the best AC books yet. Also I've heard people claiming it's quite emotional for them.

poptartz20
04-19-2013, 08:41 PM
Yes! It is a good read! I enjoyed it since I first off enjoyed the game and the character of Haytham. I haven't read the other books so I can't say much for Bowden's writing style but there are some parts that are jumpy in the book. and there are also some large time span gaps. (which is alright considering the length of the book as it is) overall I would say it's a solid 7/10 writing wise and well... considering I love Haytham the book is a 9/10. haha.