PDA

View Full Version : Plead for revolutionary changes in AC4 campaign

Thorr Lucky
04-19-2013, 01:45 AM
While you read, please play THIS (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW93CV6m-JU) in a separate tab.

but alone.
You explore vast oceans, visited caves at the ends of the world, and have been to the depths of the jungles
but alone.
Spending a mind-numbing amount of time, you have built an empire
but alone.
You have seen things so beautiful that words could not do justice in describing
but alone.
You've conquered, mastered, annihilated, destroyed, healed, bettered, and liberated everything that has crossed your path
but alone.
alone.
You've done what there is to do, but there's still an eerie lonely aspect to every part of it all
Alone!
You can't find the joy of sneaking around, or assassinating someone that you once had

You boldly walk the streets, you know every place inch by inch now, and there's nothing to do

Once you've done what you can, that's it. Nothing else. You have nothing more to do, and the game is done.

For a game that relies so heavily on it's single player, I feel like there's an enormous lack of replay-ability.

Games are changing.

So must Assassins Creed.

I propose two things.

First off, I know there's been rumors about this, but from what I've heard, it sounds like it will be extremely limited. There needs to the ability to allow people to have their friends join during campaign mode. Everything I've heard just sounds like more wolfpack. I'm talking open world. Everything. The whole shebang. Allow us to sneak around and kill with our friends. Allow us to visit the great depths of the Forrest with our fellow assassins on an dark night(please let there be more extreme day/night cycles). Let us search for treasure, conquer, and assassinate with our friends. Let us.... not be alone.

Secondly, randomness. Randomness is great. Allow events to happen in game. Now add a vast variety of aspects to these events. Maybe a camp that might spawn on land that you can raid, and de-spawns afterwards, or maybe occasionally a convoy, and maybe you can choose to help them for a reward, or rob them for a different kind of reward. Add variety and randomness. There should be an algorithm that creates an unlimited amount of contracts to kill. These contracts are maybe found by talking to random people. And the contracts could be a range of things. OR what about randomness in weaponry? Maybe create a stockpile of swords, and each sword is assembled by picking a random handle from a variety of handles, and the stats are picked from a variety of stats, and same with the name, and blade, etc. Same with guns, and knifes. What if there were an efficient way to make this work with citizens? Of course, you'd have to prevent the child's head from appearing on a lady's body with harry man-legs, but it would add an amazing feel to the game. This could be applied to all sorts of things, the costumes, an array of other weapons, people, ships, events, fish, nearly anything that variety worth with.

Im talking about the plunder coming in random assortment so there's always, or a majority of the time, there is new and never before seen booty to plunder.

poptartz20
04-19-2013, 02:22 AM
This sounds like an Assassins Creed version of Skyrim?

Thorr Lucky
04-19-2013, 02:42 AM
AC4 is going to have a vast open world with 50 different explorable islands, they aim for far less canned animation, i read somewhere that you can build your own town or there were plans to beable to build and customize as own. You will beable to swim underwater, or atleast this is shown in the trailer. It looks liek theyre going for a much more of a vast open worlds, there will be no more "invisible barriers".

STDlyMcStudpants
04-19-2013, 02:52 AM
we are sailing the ocean..there has never been invisible walls..the AC series does a great job of making glowing walls not a part of the ancestors memory ;D

warner4692
04-19-2013, 03:06 AM
The first thing I'd say is, to be able to sneak around and kill with our friends, first they'd really have to nail the sneaking around and killing part. So far, unfortunately, they seem to have lost sight of that. (For example, the next game is about being a pirate; what the hell?).

But, I'd agree with you on these things! Some local co-op would be fantastic. My girlfriend and I frequently play AC games together and think it would be great if we could play them co-operatively.

Randomness I also agree about, because ACR promised random events, and they didn't really happen. And once you replayed the game, you started to notice they were all pre-programmed. The type of random events you're describing are good ideas.

CalledChip4200
04-19-2013, 03:22 AM
I agree. There are so many great suggestions on forums. I really do hope Ubisoft regularly reads forums. I know they reply to posts left on their Facebook page but that doesn't give you the freedom to be anonymous...

STDlyMcStudpants
04-19-2013, 03:22 AM
While you read, please play THIS (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW93CV6m-JU) in a separate tab.

but alone.
You explore vast oceans, visited caves at the ends of the world, and have been to the depths of the jungles
but alone.
but alone.
but alone.
You've conquered, mastered, annihilated, destroyed, healed, bettered, and liberated everything that has crossed your path
but alone.
alone.
You've done what there is to do, but there's still an eerie lonely aspect to every part of it all
Alone!
You can't find the joy of sneaking around, or assassinating someone that you once had

You boldly walk the streets, you know every place inch by inch now, and there's nothing to do

Once you've done what you can, that's it. Nothing else. You have nothing more to do, and the game is done.

For a game that relies so heavily on it's single player, I feel like there's an enormous lack of replay-ability.

Games are changing.

So must Assassins Creed.

I propose two things.

First off, I know there's been rumors about this, but from what I've heard, it sounds like it will be extremely limited. There needs to the ability to allow people to have their friends join during campaign mode. Everything I've heard just sounds like more wolfpack. I'm talking open world. Everything. The whole shebang. Allow us to sneak around and kill with our friends. Allow us to visit the great depths of the Forrest with our fellow assassins on an dark night(please let there be more extreme day/night cycles). Let us search for treasure, conquer, and assassinate with our friends. Let us.... not be alone.

Secondly, randomness. Randomness is great. Allow events to happen in game. Now add a vast variety of aspects to these events. Maybe a camp that might spawn on land that you can raid, and de-spawns afterwards, or maybe occasionally a convoy, and maybe you can choose to help them for a reward, or rob them for a different kind of reward. Add variety and randomness. There should be an algorithm that creates an unlimited amount of contracts to kill. These contracts are maybe found by talking to random people. And the contracts could be a range of things. OR what about randomness in weaponry? Maybe create a stockpile of swords, and each sword is assembled by picking a random handle from a variety of handles, and the stats are picked from a variety of stats, and same with the name, and blade, etc. Same with guns, and knifes. What if there were an efficient way to make this work with citizens? Of course, you'd have to prevent the child's head from appearing on a lady's body with harry man-legs, but it would add an amazing feel to the game. This could be applied to all sorts of things, the costumes, an array of other weapons, people, ships, events, fish, nearly anything that variety worth with.

I was feeeling you until you got to weapon customization..i just want to rob rape and pillage (not really rape LOL) But I hope they scrap crafting completely in the game...no need for it.
We're pirates..we dont make stuff..we steal it
I have a feeling we will have a robbin hood type feel to us though
hhahaha Assassin Pirate - Robbin Hood

Thorr Lucky
04-19-2013, 05:19 AM
Im talking about the plunder coming in random assortment so there's always, or a majority of the time, there is new and never before seen booty to plunder.

Sushiglutton
04-19-2013, 08:15 AM
Imo AC suffers from overambition. The devs try to do everything instead of getting the core things right. Therefore what you are suggesting is exactly what they should not do imo. Adding a co-op mode would consume pretty much all gameplay resources. Then on top adding a bunch of generic content in terms of mini-missions and customization would be a disaster imo :(.

CalledChip4200
04-19-2013, 10:21 AM
Imo AC suffers from overambition. The devs try to do everything instead of getting the core things right. Therefore what you are suggesting is exactly what they should not do imo. Adding a co-op mode would consume pretty much all gameplay resources. Then on top adding a bunch of generic content in terms of mini-missions and customization would be a disaster imo :(.

That's true but over-ambition leads to great things. See how much AC has evolved. From collecting 480 flags to naval missions

xx-pyro
04-19-2013, 10:25 AM

While I agree with the latter point, you are in no place to say how much effort a co-op system would or would not take away from the game in term of resources. It would likely be a part of the multiplayer studios duties, meaning it would take absolutely nothing from the game, or they'd just add another studio in to work on it if they thought it was important enough to the game or they had a really great design idea.

Sushiglutton
04-19-2013, 10:38 AM
While I agree with the latter point, you are in no place to say how much effort a co-op system would or would not take away from the game in term of resources. It would likely be a part of the multiplayer studios duties, meaning it would take absolutely nothing from the game, or they'd just add another studio in to work on it if they thought it was important enough to the game or they had a really great design idea.

I have never claimed to be an expert, just a happy amateur who likes to speculate :). The way I see it a campaign co-op mode would require far more than just MP resources. There are an insane amount of gameplay systems in the campaign. The devs would have to go through all of them and think about what would happen if another player was introduced. What if one player is discovered by the guards and not the other? What if one player kills the other ones horse (fall animation). What if one player is locked in a QTE with a bear and the other is shooting on the ber with a bow?

Then there are things like combat. Since slow-mo doesn't work in Co-Op (time has to move the same for both players) they would have to rebuild the combat system from scratch. And also solve things like both players attacking the same villain, one player caught in a double take down animation etc etc.

Exactly how much resources this would all take is obv speculations. But I think it's clear that a co-op mode would require substantial efforts.

pacmanate
04-19-2013, 12:31 PM
You can plead all you want but they aren't going to change their formula

Thorr Lucky
04-19-2013, 11:31 PM
The randomness that Im talking about eliminated the "generic" feeling you are talking about. And the major reason so many things have failed, is simply because after you've done waht you can, theres just no incentive to stay playing until the next game comes out.

xx-pyro
04-19-2013, 11:59 PM
I have never claimed to be an expert, just a happy amateur who likes to speculate :). The way I see it a campaign co-op mode would require far more than just MP resources. There are an insane amount of gameplay systems in the campaign. The devs would have to go through all of them and think about what would happen if another player was introduced. What if one player is discovered by the guards and not the other? What if one player kills the other ones horse (fall animation). What if one player is locked in a QTE with a bear and the other is shooting on the ber with a bow?

Then there are things like combat. Since slow-mo doesn't work in Co-Op (time has to move the same for both players) they would have to rebuild the combat system from scratch. And also solve things like both players attacking the same villain, one player caught in a double take down animation etc etc.

Exactly how much resources this would all take is obv speculations. But I think it's clear that a co-op mode would require substantial efforts.

It's unlikely that that's how they would go about implementing a co-op system (especially in the way OP describes it) at all. It just doesn't make any sense storywise either. More likely than not, entering co-op would have its own set of side missions or main missions to complete, which would take time in themselves to make but there are really no new mechanics being introduced so all it takes is some writing and and method for implementation. As for your bear example, that's quite simple, just make the bear unable to be targeted while it is in a QTE.

tinrisky
04-20-2013, 12:52 AM
The song was over before i finished reading

SuizideKing
04-20-2013, 07:03 AM

but alone.
but alone.
but alone.
but alone.
but alone.
alone.
Alone!

Games are changing.

So must Assassins Creed.

I propose two things.

I am a huge supporter of drop in drop out co op. I also agree about the random events but I'm not too worried about the "booty" system.