PDA

View Full Version : About the free roaming/affects my previous posts.

Ravens Klaws
04-17-2013, 09:17 PM
post deleted due to trolls attacking it.

cragthehacker
04-17-2013, 11:04 PM
see according to unspecified sources, free roaming in the game did not occour until might and magic 6, all of its predeccesors where apparntly turn based

I don't know what you mean exactly by 'free-roaming', but anyone familiar with the earlier M&M games will recall that while they may have had step-movement, you COULD travel to *every* place you could see in the environment.

This is a BIG difference from what has been proposed for the design of Might & Magic X.

this would make sense, since even the tech today has problems with free roaming

No, it doesn't - this can be accomplished in *any* competently coded 3D engine, trivially(I can give specific details, as my brother is a programmer and well acquainted with the Unity engine).

And again, free-roaming to me implies that there are no/minimal restrictions of movement for the purposes of exploration.

The apparent decision to restrict exploration with invisible walls in a 3D environment is a strategic design consideration more than a technical one.

And one which I(and others) strongly disagree with.

ghandimcfarland
04-18-2013, 12:04 PM
I disagree.

Heck, you said it all in your post:
"i started on 7,then played 8 and then 9(which isn't as bad as people keep claiming"

It's "Legacy" and the grid based movement is a throwback to the original Might and Magics. If you think a game like this won't work, just go and play Legend of Grimrock. It works...its fun...it sold a lot of games. You go on to say that 9 wasn't that bad which is shocking. I realize it wasn't finished...well then they shouldn't have released it and killed Might and Magic. I just don't understand what you want? Its like me going to a Call of Duty forum and complaining that there are guns in the game. The grid movement is a core game mechanic.
You act like modern games don't use it. How about XCOM? Should that be "free-move" because it looks pretty good to me.

cragthehacker
04-18-2013, 02:46 PM
I disagree.

"i started on 7,then played 8 and then 9(which isn't as bad as people keep claiming"

It's "Legacy" and the grid based movement is a throwback to the original Might and Magics. If you think a game like this won't work, just go and play Legend of Grimrock. It works...its fun...it sold a lot of games.

Using that logic, one can make the (justified) counter-claim that smooth-scrolling movement games work as well AND sell more units(of which both claims are verifiably true).

You go on to say that 9 wasn't that bad which is shocking. I realize it wasn't finished...well then they shouldn't have released it and killed Might and Magic. I just don't understand what you want? Its like me going to a Call of Duty forum and complaining that there are guns in the game. The grid movement is a core game mechanic.

No it isn't.

But, I guess you aren't familiar with Might and Magic VI - IX.

You act like modern games don't use it. How about XCOM? Should that be "free-move" because it looks pretty good to me.

XCOM employs turn-based combat.

And no one here(myself included) is arguing AGAINST step movement while in combat.

narupley
04-18-2013, 04:37 PM
I disagree.

It's "Legacy" and the grid based movement is a throwback to the original Might and Magics. If you think a game like this won't work, just go and play Legend of Grimrock. It works...its fun...it sold a lot of games. You go on to say that 9 wasn't that bad which is shocking. I realize it wasn't finished...well then they shouldn't have released it and killed Might and Magic. I just don't understand what you want? Its like me going to a Call of Duty forum and complaining that there are guns in the game. The grid movement is a core game mechanic.

I think we can all agree that if MMX is grid-based turn-based only, it will still be a great game. However, if it had free-roaming and RT/TB toggling like MMVI+ had, it would be an even better game.

narupley
04-21-2013, 10:50 PM
post deleted due to trolls attacking it.

No, you deleted your post because you were bested intellectually, and instead of admitting your logical mistakes, you decided to take the cowardly way out.

Ravens Klaws
04-22-2013, 02:29 PM
@narupley.
yeah im not interested in your childish desire for attention you troll. seriously why are you attacking all my posts? i just regard you as some childish troll now because youve done nothing to prove me otherwise.

Ubi-MoshiMoshi
04-22-2013, 07:33 PM
I'm closing this due to the insults.