PDA

View Full Version : How was AC3 Disappointing to you??

Legendz54
04-17-2013, 09:14 AM
I always hear everywhere that people were disappointed with AC3 and that it disappointed them in so many ways, but I never hear them say why or how.. only 1 or 2 word explanations like "Dull" and "boring"or "AC2 was better!!". Everyone here! This is your chance to explain in deep detail why AC3 did not meet your expectations.

And for those who really liked AC3 please explain why you think it does not Deserve the negativity it is getting.

Assassin_M
04-17-2013, 09:17 AM
You know.....If you wanted to read why some think AC III is disappointing in detail, all you had to do was just go the feedback thread:p

roostersrule2
04-17-2013, 09:31 AM
I was far from disappointed by AC3, but it just felt like I had been promised a whole lot more.

pirate1802
04-17-2013, 09:48 AM
I was far from disappointed by AC3, but it just felt like I had been promised a whole lot more.

This post accurately sums up my view on AC III. Poor mission structure, surprisingly few actual free-form assassinations, no escape sequences (you escape in cutscenes LOL).

And oh yeah.. RANDOM EVENTS! I'll never forgive that!

ProletariatPleb
04-17-2013, 09:51 AM
I'm too lazy to type, so I'll just screenshot my response from somewhere else:

http://puu.sh/2BCRP

Link if it's too blurry (http://puu.sh/2BCRP)

Sushiglutton
04-17-2013, 09:54 AM
Have explained this in detail a billion times but whatever lol:

The gameplay was not lifted to modern standards as I had hoped. Combat and stealth are still real mediocre if you compare to other games imo. The climbable world is cool, but the parkour is too automated to work as a foundation for chase/platforming missions. Old sins like clumsy horses and random AI still persists. This was not the jump in terms of gameplay quality as I had hoped for :(.

As for missions they were more handholdy than ever. A lot of walking/running/riding from green marker to green marker, tapping a button to interact. The assassination missions were too few and there was a clear, cinematic, route that the game wanted you to take. The game treated me like an imbecille/child, which isn't very fun. Combine this with an extremely slow beginning from a gameplay pov, with loads of tutorial missions and you end up with a game that just isn't that appealing to play.

My theory is that people who liked AC3 are primarily story/character/world focused, while those who found it disapointing are more gameplay/challenge oriented :).

Assassin_M
04-17-2013, 10:00 AM
My theory is that people who liked AC3 are primarily story/character/world focused, while those who found it disapointing are more gameplay/challenge oriented :).
I`ll be glad to be the first to prove this theory wrong..

Admittedly, the lack of time is apparent, but we can`t hang every flaw on that...there was an obvious detraction in focus and direction...there was no clear vision, I`d say it would`v ruined AC III, for me, AC III was ALMOST ruined by the some of the horrendous decisions in design and mechanics, true it`s my favorite game, but the reasons it is my favorite are not the reasons I like AC I for....a game like AC is supposed to shine through its gameplay, if something else shines, then THERE`S CLEARLY something wrong

My favorite games are AC I and III

ProletariatPleb
04-17-2013, 10:02 AM
I am pretty story focused(doesn't mean I don't focus on other things) and I think the execution of the story was utter horse****. So yeah, I don't know why I don't like AC3 because apparently I'm one of those people...

Sushiglutton
04-17-2013, 10:06 AM
I`ll be glad to be the first to prove this theory wrong..

My favorite games are AC I and III

I should have added something like "the majority of people" just to prevent my theory from being proven wrong by just one example lol ;). But my experience from reading your posts is that you in general are more fascinated by story than gameplay. I have seen you discuss story details a lot more than gameplay details.

I am pretty story focused(doesn't mean I don't focus on other things) and I think the execution of the story was utter horse****. So yeah, I don't know why I don't like AC3 because apparently I'm one of those people...

Obv it's a generalisation. It's just that I have seen lots of posts praising AC3 that lists characters, story etc witout ever saying a word about gameplay. I have never seen someone just talk about gameplay and then end up saying something positive about AC3 lol.

ProletariatPleb
04-17-2013, 10:09 AM
Honestly AC doesn't have that much in the gameplay sector, it all feels...arbitrary, all gimmicky and automatic. I'm supposed to be playing a game not a movie yet...there is very little player feedback.

Assassin_M
04-17-2013, 10:14 AM
But my experience from reading your posts is that you in general are more fascinated by story than gameplay. I have seen you discuss story details a lot more than gameplay details.
Regarding AC III, I mostly talk about story, because that`s the point, that`s what shined in AC III, when I talk about AC I I talk about the investigations, the freedom and the tactics..i.e gameplay, because that`s what shined with AC I, and with the post I quoted, it shows my whole point..i WANTED gameplay to shine in AC III, but it didn't and that shows that something was wrong

Sushiglutton
04-17-2013, 10:19 AM
Regarding AC III, I mostly talk about story, because that`s the point, that`s what shined in AC III, when I talk about AC I I talk about the investigations, the freedom and the tactics..i.e gameplay, because that`s what shined with AC I, and with the post I quoted, it shows my whole point..i WANTED gameplay to shine in AC III, but it didn't and that shows that something was wrong

I don't think that you fit into any generalisation ever, so I'm not that disapointed that this one also failed to capture you ;).

ProletariatPleb
04-17-2013, 10:20 AM
I don't think that you fit into any generalisation ever
>_>

ACfan443
04-17-2013, 10:37 AM
The modern day story. I was looking forward to this the most. Admittedly, it's the main reason I've been investing in the franchise. It had so much promise, so much potential, but fell extremely flat in the end

Ambient music. Or lack there of. The world in AC3 is desperately crying out for music, as mundane as the cities already are, lack of music only accentuates this.

MasterAssasin84
04-17-2013, 10:41 AM
For me AC3 was far from a let down, i really enjoyed roaming the frontier all the sights and sounds was extemely atmospheric and i loved the hustle and bustle of Boston roaming the harbour, i really loved the combat system and climbing mechanics and tree running.. the only gripe i had was the bugs which once the fixes was deployed was not much of an issue for me.

shobhit7777777
04-17-2013, 10:42 AM
OP should search the forums for the "Why"...more than a fair share of well articulated and thought out arguments

I'll just say this -

It is disrespectful of the player's time and his/her intelligence.

Assassin_M
04-17-2013, 10:44 AM
It is disrespectful of the player's time and his/her intelligence.
Basically sums up everything wrong with the Game lol

ProletariatPleb
04-17-2013, 10:48 AM
Basically sums up everything wrong with the Game lol
That's been there since AC2, lol since they decided to make Assassin's Creed PG13.

monster_rambo
04-17-2013, 10:50 AM
^ACR or ACIII kills weren't brutal enough for you or do you like God of War style ripping out organs and eyes and ****?

Assassin_M
04-17-2013, 10:51 AM
That's been there since AC2, lol since they decided to make Assassin's Creed PG13.
Well, I didn't want to "turn this thread into an AC2 sucks thread" so I refrained from mentioning AC II since this is dedicated to AC III

ProletariatPleb
04-17-2013, 10:53 AM
^ACR or ACIII kills weren't brutal enough for you or do you like God of War style ripping out organs and eyes and ****?
I'm not talking about the killing animations but the plot and setup, etc and no the kills felt flashy to me that is all, happy now?

Well, I didn't want to "turn this thread into an AC2 sucks thread" so I refrained from mentioning AC II since this is dedicated to AC III
been there "since"

monster_rambo
04-17-2013, 10:59 AM
I'm not talking about the killing animations but the plot and setup, etc and no the kills felt flashy to me that is all, happy now?

NOO!! I'm NOT happy. U must be an AC HATER...I'm Joking. I see what you mean but I thought ACR story was quite decent even though is my least favorite AC along with ACIII. Is just the modern story became messed up...etc.etc Yeah we know the rhetoric.

ProletariatPleb
04-17-2013, 11:02 AM
NOO!! I'm NOT happy. U must be an AC HATER...I'm Joking. I see what you mean but I thought ACR story was quite decent even though is my least favorite AC along with ACIII. Is just the modern story became messed up...etc.etc Yeah we know the rhetoric.
I'm not saying the stories were bad. I'm trying to say they treat us like idiots like explaining little things or hand holding through things instead of letting us figure out how to use what is given.

monster_rambo
04-17-2013, 11:08 AM
^do you think they will finally address the issues or is it going to be downhill from now on?

ProletariatPleb
04-17-2013, 11:10 AM
^do you think they will finally address the issues or is it going to be downhill from now on?
Downhill is what I think...

Legendz54
04-17-2013, 11:10 AM
Just something about the beginning of AC3 that i thought i should mention... I mean... what happened!! at the end of ACR it showed Desmond waking up from the animus and opening the door... At the beginning of AC3 it shows Desmond awake and then they arrive at the cave... so they just change the ACR ending because they think its no big deal lol....with different teams on different games communication isn't good between them.

monster_rambo
04-17-2013, 11:13 AM
Just something about the beginning of AC3 that i thought i should mention... I mean... what happened!! at the end of ACR it showed Desmond waking up from the animus and opening the door... At the beginning of AC3 it shows Desmond awake and then they arrive at the cave... so they just change the ACR ending because they think its no big deal lol.... It should all just be one team, with different teams on different games communication isn't good between them.

^u sure? I think it was a cave. The camera pans and zooms in on the cave's/ temple's entrance and the key glows. I think you got it wrong. He didn't open the door yet.

Legendz54
04-17-2013, 11:15 AM
^u sure? I think it was a cave. The camera pans and zooms in on the cave's/ temple's entrance and the key glows. I think you got it wrong.

Sorry i meant Desmond wakes up from the Animus and William opens up the van door, then it zooms in on the cave, Then with AC3's beginning it shows Desmond fully awake when they arrive and open the van door.. whats with that?

monster_rambo
04-17-2013, 11:18 AM
Sorry i meant Desmond wakes up from the Animus and William opens up the van door, then it zooms in on the cave, Then with AC3's beginning it shows Desmond fully awake when they arrive and open the van door.. whats with that?

Oh I see, yeah I know but is a minor detail, there are far bigger things that made the story convoluted and incoherent.

AssassinHMS
04-17-2013, 01:00 PM
This is why AC 3 was disappointing:
-Countless interesting features were teased in trailers or mentioned by the developers but never made it to the final product
-The game was all about being the biggest assassin's creed title yet and not the best
This is why AC 3 was a bad assassin's creed game (the worst so far in my oppinion)
-AC 3 despised everything that made this franchise interesting (the feeling of being an assassin): open ended meaningfull assassination missions, stealth, navigation, combat and atmosphere (music, lively cities with good side missions)
-Instead AC 3 focused on things that have nothing to do with the franchise (I don't consider them bad but if the devs had focused instead on the core elements, the game could have been much better): naval gameplay, hunting, crafting
AC 3 is all about quantity over quality...

sexypro
04-17-2013, 01:39 PM
I think it has with the unhappy ending [spoiler]. killing of two of the main carracters and not get why. I mean luke in Starwars kills his father but the father did atleast do something good in the end.
Here it's just mehh. why kill his own son for a looser like Lee.
I wonder how Ezio culd know about Desmond... It might be something in the Kenway family that could change the outcome in a future game to the better...

lothario-da-be
04-17-2013, 01:53 PM
I am dissapointed in:
- The modern day part
-The mission design
-lenght of story, there were less missions then revelations!
-SOME of the side quests
-the hype, it made me expect this game to be completly revolutionary, it totaly wasn't. Thanks to the devs for exagerating so much.

silvermercy
04-17-2013, 02:16 PM
The only thing that disappointed me in AC3 was that Connor did not have more sequences (not that I didn't enjoy my time with Haytham). I would have added at least 5 more FULL Connor sequences to make it feel like I was playing a Connor game.

SixKeys
04-17-2013, 02:27 PM
My main problems with AC3:

-Lackluster side missions - everything was "go here, press a button" when in previous games we at least got a semi-detailed background story for each side mission. It felt like they really didn't want to spend any effort on making proper side missions so they just hastily threw something together.
-Terrible, terrible stealth. In previous games enemies were sometimes unrealistically obtuse, but at least the detection system made sense. Don't perform high-profile actions in their line of sight and you won't be detected. In AC3, during the mission where young Connor has to learn about ripping down posters, no matter what I did, someone was ALWAYS detecting me. I tried going on the rooftops, some guard on street level, behind several houses, 100 yards away starts detecting me. I try to sneak behind guards' backs in low profile, they magically detect me. There's no logic behind stealth so it becomes a useless and frustrating mechanic.
-Pointless hangover mechanics. The devs claimed to have ditched everything from previous games that wasn't absolutely essential, yet they brought back things like assassin recruits and ripping down posters with no proper justification.
-Disappointing pay-off for Desmond after building him up for five games. The ending was rushed and anti-climactic.
-The locations were dull and empty. Amerian architecture at the time simply wasn't very fun for freerunning, too many wide streets and gaps between houses, too much grey and brown everywhere. The Frontier looked nice, but there was little to do there besides hunting and a couple of forts.
-Apart from Haytham, Ziio and Lee most of the characters were pretty boring. Connor was okay but I couldn't get behind his monotonous voice-acting. I just didn't feel as deep a connection to the characters as in previous games.
-The Homestead people's interactions with Connor were painful to watch. No effort put into the animations at all, they all just stood there like zombies. As a result, I never grew attached to any of them.
-Bad pacing. The first three sequences with Haytham take forever, then we have to wait until sequence 6 to get to play as the badass assassin we all saw in the trailers, then the last 2-3 sequences are extremely linear and rush from one event to the next. It takes a lifetime for New York to open up and the moment it does, we don't get a chance to explore it for an entire sequence.
-Linear assassinations with little to no freedom. Three of the major assassinations are done in a QTE and the post-kill escape happens in a cut scene.
-Lack of tutorials or badly implemented ones. The trading/crafting system was poorly explained, we didn't get to see Connor train with Achilles, the recruit managing system was confusing, clubs and challenges weren't explained at all (I never even found out there was such a thing as a Thieves' Club until I read about it somewhere because I never stole from anyone in the game).

There are many other things that drag the game down in my estimation, but these were my biggest complaints.

AssassinHMS
04-17-2013, 02:40 PM

-Lackluster side missions - everything was "go here, press a button" when in previous games we at least got a semi-detailed background story for each side mission. It felt like they really didn't want to spend any effort on making proper side missions so they just hastily threw something together.
-Terrible, terrible stealth. In previous games enemies were sometimes unrealistically obtuse, but at least the detection system made sense. Don't perform high-profile actions in their line of sight and you won't be detected. In AC3, during the mission where young Connor has to learn about ripping down posters, no matter what I did, someone was ALWAYS detecting me. I tried going on the rooftops, some guard on street level, behind several houses, 100 yards away starts detecting me. I try to sneak behind guards' backs in low profile, they magically detect me. There's no logic behind stealth so it becomes a useless and frustrating mechanic.
-Pointless hangover mechanics. The devs claimed to have ditched everything from previous games that wasn't absolutely essential, yet they brought back things like assassin recruits and ripping down posters with no proper justification.
-Disappointing pay-off for Desmond after building him up for five games. The ending was rushed and anti-climactic.
-The locations were dull and empty. Amerian architecture at the time simply wasn't very fun for freerunning, too many wide streets and gaps between houses, too much grey and brown everywhere. The Frontier looked nice, but there was little to do there besides hunting and a couple of forts.
-Apart from Haytham, Ziio and Lee most of the characters were pretty boring. Connor was okay but I couldn't get behind his monotonous voice-acting. I just didn't feel as deep a connection to the characters as in previous games.
-The Homestead people's interactions with Connor were painful to watch. No effort put into the animations at all, they all just stood there like zombies. As a result, I never grew attached to any of them.
-Bad pacing. The first three sequences with Haytham take forever, then we have to wait until sequence 6 to get to play as the badass assassin we all saw in the trailers, then the last 2-3 sequences are extremely linear and rush from one event to the next. It takes a lifetime for New York to open up and the moment it does, we don't get a chance to explore it for an entire sequence.
-Linear assassinations with little to no freedom. Three of the major assassinations are done in a QTE and the post-kill escape happens in a cut scene.
-Lack of tutorials or badly implemented ones. The trading/crafting system was poorly explained, we didn't get to see Connor train with Achilles, the recruit managing system was confusing, clubs and challenges weren't explained at all (I never even found out there was such a thing as a Thieves' Club until I read about it somewhere because I never stole from anyone in the game).

There are many other things that drag the game down in my estimation, but these were my biggest complaints.

Couldn't have said better.

Sushiglutton
04-17-2013, 02:42 PM
Couldn't have said better.

Agreed, that list nails it! Now if we could only transfer it to the devs through hypnosis...

AssassinHMS
04-17-2013, 02:45 PM
Agreed, that list nails it! Now if we could only transfer it to the devs through hypnosis...

If only we had the Apple...

kriegerdesgottes
04-17-2013, 03:51 PM
No random events
No ambient music which kills the soul of the whole game and makes it boring
No canoes
Connor is always angry and kind of a jerk to everyone for no apparent reason
I personally do not care at all for the new navigation controls
The weapon wheel is just awful
The naval missions are just kind of meh
The game was pretty ridiculously glitchy
The setting (although interesting) is kind of boring
The Desmond ending was an absolute joke after 5 years of waiting

ToniTorsi
04-17-2013, 04:24 PM

Are you serious!?!

I have not finished AC3 yet, and you just gave off GIGANTIC spoiler right there.

Wow, Oh my god.

I'm really furious right now.

AssassinHMS
04-17-2013, 04:25 PM
Connor is always angry and kind of a jerk to everyone for no apparent reason

yeah, sometimes I didn't fully understand his reactions towards other people. As an assassin it's easier if you are social and I think Connor never did an effort to blend with people around him but again he was never one for the creed.

montagemik
04-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Ancestor story - Lots of Creed & Duty - Almost NO Assassin ............... ( Connor was great - The story & missions he was given were the problem )
Modern story - WASTED Desmond potential ..........His AC3 death was planned/likely from day 1 - ok always been fine with that .
But don't Bang on throughout the series about Desmond gaining 'a Lifetimes' experience from multiple ancestors & Then proceed to kill him off after a few scrapes a NOVICE could've handled .
I Hoped at least for some epic / genuinely challenging modern day infiltration of Abstergo ( This IS desmond's Finale after all ) - But instead we had a few slaps with Rent-a-Cop & held the all powerful apple for a casual escape ( CHEAP BEYOND BELIEF )

So overall , AC3 just felt like wasted potential for desmond & many aspects for Connor's portion . .

VitaminsXYZ
04-17-2013, 04:34 PM
Are you serious!?!

I have not finished AC3 yet, and you just gave off GIGANTIC spoiler right there.

Wow, Oh my god.

It's probably best to avoid forums for any game you haven't finished yet. There's bound to be spoilers.

yeah, sometimes I didn't fully understand his reactions towards other people. As an assassin it's easier if you are social and I think Connor never did an effort to blend with people around him but again he was never one for the creed.

And I think that's because he didn't know how. He was raised in a completely different culture, and his life with Achilles was pretty secluded as well. I understand that not everyone will like that he's so socially awkward, but that's one of the things I liked about him. His flaws are what made him seem more human and realistic to me.

montagemik
04-17-2013, 04:36 PM
Are you serious!?!

Wow, Oh my god.

LOL I understand the thread isn't sub titled with Spoilers
But Coming into a thread titled "How WAS AC3 dissapointing ..............." & NOT expecting any spoilers is kind of Unrealistic .

Hard to mention what people didn't like - without mentioning what happens in many instances .

ACfan443
04-17-2013, 04:41 PM
I Hoped at least for some epic / genuinely challenging modern day infiltration of Abstergo ( This IS desmond's Finale after all )

I REALLY wanted this :(

Some well developed gameplay and lengthy cutscenes would have been nice.

MasterAssasin84
04-17-2013, 04:54 PM
I REALLY wanted this :(

Some well developed gameplay and lengthy cutscenes would have been nice.

The Historical aspect did exceed my expectations ie the core gameplay with Connor and Haytham but i do agree with you that the Desmond scenes should have had a little more care and attention.

AssassinHMS
04-17-2013, 05:08 PM
And I think that's because he didn't know how. He was raised in a completely different culture, and his life with Achilles was pretty secluded as well. I understand that not everyone will like that he's so socially awkward, but that's one of the things I liked about him. His flaws are what made him seem more human and realistic to me.

I didn't have a problem with Connor (though I wont compare him to Altair or Ezio since they're all different) but I didn't like him as an assassin:
-First he didn't care about the creed or about the brotherhood);
-He cared about his village and his people (it was the reason he became an assassin and hunted people who happened to be Templars);
-He couldn't blend. Come on, he was the only person with a bow (how could he look more notorious?) He moved and looked like a predator which was strange when roaming in a city. And basicly everything in him screamed "outcast";
-He was hasty, he didn't really reflect about things;
-He doesn't think like an assassin, he doesn't plan missions. Connor is all about brute force , one man army as the ridiculously easy combat backs up.

MasterAssasin84
04-17-2013, 05:17 PM
I didn't have a problem with Connor (though I wont compare him to Altair or Ezio since they're all different) but I didn't like him as an assassin:
-First he didn't care about the creed or about the brotherhood);
-He cared about his village and his people (it was the reason he became an assassin and hunted people who happened to be Templars);
-He couldn't blend. Come on, he was the only person with a bow (how could he look more notorious?) He moved and looked like a predator which was strange when roaming in a city. And basicly everything in him screamed "outcast";
-He was hasty, he didn't really reflect about things;
-He doesn't think like an assassin, he doesn't plan missions. Connor is all about brute force , one man army as the ridiculously easy combat backs up.

Pretty ironic as thats the way he was marketed, Connor was Native American Assassin so interms of outcast as you put it the developers had to strike a balance between an Assassin and keeping his Native heritage, and i would say Connor reflected most of his events as he struggled to come to terms that his a reconciliation with his templar father was out the question.

Secondly he was a complete savage rather than an elegant fighter like Ezio .

AssassinHMS
04-17-2013, 05:28 PM
Pretty ironic as thats the way he was marketed, Connor was Native American Assassin so interms of outcast as you put it the developers had to strike a balance between an Assassin and keeping his Native heritage, and i would say Connor reflected most of his events as he struggled to come to terms that his a reconciliation with his templar father was out the question.

Secondly he was a complete savage rather than an elegant fighter like Ezio .

I know he was marketed as being torn ("... part of me is the outsider, bla bla... I don't remember exactly what he said) but that doesn't mean he can't blend or plan a mission. Seriously how successful can you be as an assassin if you're reckless and notorious? Oh wait, he can kill 50 men easily in a matter of seconds. Right I forgot that....

TheHumanTowel
04-17-2013, 05:29 PM
I hated this. It made Connor seem stupider than Altair and Ezio. He just blunders his way head-first into everything without giving it any thought.

In the Hickey sequence Connor follows that guy to Hickey's base. Instead of taking a moment to survey the situation, stake out the place, Connor decides to bash in through the door without any idea what's on the other side and expose himself to Hickey. As a result of these idiotic actions Connor gets thrown in jail and had to rely on his friends to save him from execution, George Washington nearly being killed in the process.

In the last sequence Connor just shows up at Haytham's funeral and again exposes himself completely and gets captured by Lee's guards. What was his plan there!? He's just lucky the writers decided to make Charles Lee act like a ridiculous Bond villain and not kill him instantly.

AssassinHMS
04-17-2013, 05:31 PM
I hated this. It made Connor seem stupider than Altair and Ezio. He just blunders his way head-first into everything without giving it any thought.

In the Hickey sequence Connor follows that guy to Hickey's base. Instead of taking a moment to survey the situation, stake out the place, Connor decides to bash in through the door without any idea what's on the other side and expose himself to Hickey. As a result of these idiotic actions Connor gets thrown in jail and had to rely on his friends to save him from execution, George Washington nearly being killed in the process.

In the last sequence Connor just shows up at Haytham's funeral and again exposes himself completely and gets captured by Lee's guards. What was his plan there!? He's just lucky the writers decided to make Charles Lee act like a ridiculous Bond villain and not kill him instantly.

My thoughts exactly

Kaschra
04-17-2013, 05:34 PM

Even though I still quiet like AC3, doesn't mean I have no problems with the game. This list pretty much nails it.

Some other things that bothered me:

- the mission design... some of the missions were terrible and annoying (The battle of Concord, the "Broken Trust" mission because of the freaking broken horses is utterly annoying, too much chase missions etc)
- no random events as promised (again)
- the assasination contracts were horrible
- I miss the glyph like puzzles
- Not enough interaction with the native people :/
- Some of the trailers made it seem like Connor didn't really knew where he belongs to, but it never felt like that in the game. I expected more inner struggle, and he would have to face racism coming from white people. But no, expect for Lee and that one guy who called him savage, he was immediatly accepted basically everywhere?

AllThatJuice
04-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Only thing I hated about AC3 was the bugs/ glitches. Otherwise I thought it was a great game, probably my favorite in the series.

Assassin_M
04-17-2013, 05:56 PM
lol @ the complaints about Connor...

SOME of them anyway xD

AllThatJuice
04-17-2013, 05:59 PM

Freerunning is too easy?...Freerunning was never meant to be difficult in the first place. If anything I think the freerunning in AC3 is much more smoother and fluid. The new animations also make freerunning so much more enjoyable. I also love how now we only have to hold the right trigger to freerun, it was such a pain to control the camera and freerun in the previous AC games. But to each their own I guess.

AssassinHMS
04-17-2013, 06:30 PM
Freerunning is too easy?...Freerunning was never meant to be difficult in the first place. If anything I think the freerunning in AC3 is much more smoother and fluid. The new animations also make freerunning so much more enjoyable. I also love how now we only have to hold the right trigger to freerun, it was such a pain to control the camera and freerun in the previous AC games. But to each their own I guess.

I think what he is saying is that freerunning is too automatic, even more now than before for example, like you said, we only have one trigger for both sprinting and climbing (which is bad in my opinion, many times I wanted to sprint but sudenly, just because connor was near a wall, he started climbing it. At first it didn't bother me but when I started to get caught by guards because of that or worse I eventually became frustrated. Wouldn't it be better if we were given more options like climbing, sliding, entering or exiting cover,... when we wanted to? It's as if the game plays by itself and it just needs us there to see it and occasionally press a button.

VitaminsXYZ
04-17-2013, 07:36 PM
1. First he didn't care about the creed or about the brotherhood);
2. He cared about his village and his people (it was the reason he became an assassin and hunted people who happened to be Templars);
3. He couldn't blend. Come on, he was the only person with a bow (how could he look more notorious?) He moved and looked like a predator which was strange when roaming in a city. And basicly everything in him screamed "outcast";
4. He was hasty, he didn't really reflect about things;
5. He doesn't think like an assassin, he doesn't plan missions. Connor is all about brute force , one man army as the ridiculously easy combat backs up.

I can see where you're coming from. I'd also like to add a few things though. (Besides numbering your dash-points. lol)

1. There wasn't much of a brotherhood left to begin with. The only remaining Assassin was a grumpy old man who had pretty much given up on the creed; it's no surprise Connor wasn't exposed to it as much. Which is why I would've been okay with a Connor sequel where he sets out to rebuild the Assassin order, like what Ezio did in "Brotherhood."

2. And Ezio initially joined the Assassins out of revenge, too. But he also had the advantage of meeting a ton of other fellow Assassins along the way who were able to properly introduce him to the teachings of the creed.

3. I always thought blending was kind of ridiculous in AC. (And a bow kind of actually makes sense in colonial America.) It's not like Ezio was any less armed to the teeth. Altair was the only one who was more believable, and even then he still kind of stands out.

4. I agree, he was very rash and hot-headed. Personally I actually liked that for once, we have an assassin who isn't always clear on what he has to do, who lets his emotions get in the way at times. And I'd really love to see him grow from there. (If they even decide to continue his story...)

5. Again, not many people were there to exactly help him out in thinking and acting like a proper Assassin. His fighting style was brutal yes, but I thought it fit in nicely with the setting, which was a lot more grim than some of the previous ones anyways. (And a lot of this would end up going into gameplay issues and weird mission design, but I'm not even gonna bother getting into that.)

Assassin_M
04-17-2013, 07:43 PM
4. I agree, he was very rash and hot-headed. Personally I actually liked that for once, we have an assassin who isn't always clear on what he has to do, who lets his emotions get in the way at times. And I'd really love to see him grow from there. (If they even decide to continue his story...)

for some reason, people forget that Connor was 18-20 during some of those events...

pacmanate
04-17-2013, 08:25 PM
1. The Fact that it takes 5 sequences before you are an Assassin.
2. You only have 6 sequences out of 12 being an Assassin
3. No assassinating side missions that really had a point other than "kill this guy".
4. Courier missions and Collecting missions are soooo boring.
5. Connor was a boring character, didn't like his voice either.
6. Don't like the stopping between jumps in free running, makes it less fluid
7. Mission design was so crap in some places. (E.G Battle of Concord, Bunker Hill, basically all the big battles).
8. No targets felt very Templary, the targets in this game were boring. Exception being Charles Lee.
9. Restrictive mission design.
10. QTE. Hate them, get rid of them. If I need to kill a Templar target, let ME kill them properly, not in a freaking cutscene.
11. Hunting was terrible. QTE's SUCK.
12. Desmond had around an hour gametime altogether? Had a bad game time payoff for 3 years of development.
13. The fact that you can take a stupid amount of bullets before you die.
14. Connor was basically a jerk to everyone he met.

Could go on but im getting bored.

Assassin_M
04-17-2013, 08:27 PM
1. The Fact that it takes 5 sequences before you are an Assassin.
2. You only have 6 sequences out of 12 being an Assassin
3. No assassinating side missions that really had a point other than "kill this guy".
4. Courier missions and Collecting missions are soooo boring.
5. Connor was a boring character, didn't like his voice either.
6. Don't like the stopping between jumps in free running, makes it less fluid
7. Mission design was so crap in some places. (E.G Battle of Concord, Bunker Hill, basically all the big battles).
8. No targets felt very Templary, the targets in this game were boring. Exception being Charles Lee.
9. Restrictive mission design.
10. QTE. Hate them, get rid of them. If I need to kill a Templar target, let ME kill them properly, not in a freaking cutscene.
11. Hunting was terrible. QTE's SUCK.
12. Desmond had around an hour gametime altogether? Had a bad game time payoff for 3 years of development.
13. The fact that you can take a stupid amount of bullets before you die.
14. Connor was basically a jerk to everyone he met.

Could go on but im getting bored.
Point 14 is basically point 5, even though it`s factually false

TheHumanTowel
04-17-2013, 08:30 PM
The modern day story was the laziest most rushed thing I've ever seen. The ending was a massive cliffhanger despite Ubi saying this would be a conclusion, plot threads from previous games were brushed over or completely abandoned, the mission design for Desmond's missions was atrocious. It was disheartening to see just how little effort they put into the present day compared to the past. Most disappointing thing for me.

AssassinHMS
04-17-2013, 08:45 PM
I can see where you're coming from. I'd also like to add a few things though. (Besides numbering your dash-points. lol)

1. There wasn't much of a brotherhood left to begin with. The only remaining Assassin was a grumpy old man who had pretty much given up on the creed; it's no surprise Connor wasn't exposed to it as much. Which is why I would've been okay with a Connor sequel where he sets out to rebuild the Assassin order, like what Ezio did in "Brotherhood."

2. And Ezio initially joined the Assassins out of revenge, too. But he also had the advantage of meeting a ton of other fellow Assassins along the way who were able to properly introduce him to the teachings of the creed.

3. I always thought blending was kind of ridiculous in AC. (And a bow kind of actually makes sense in colonial America.) It's not like Ezio was any less armed to the teeth. Altair was the only one who was more believable, and even then he still kind of stands out.

5. Again, not many people were there to exactly help him out in thinking and acting like a proper Assassin. His fighting style was brutal yes, but I thought it fit in nicely with the setting, which was a lot more grim than some of the previous ones anyways. (And a lot of this would end up going into gameplay issues and weird mission design, but I'm not even gonna bother getting into that.)

1. Agreed
2. Yes, but when you're an assassin you're an assassin. You can't base your decisions on a village or because it's best for your "people". You do it because your an assassin. It's not just a job it's who you are. I understand Ezio had his own reasons at the beggining as well but he eventualy did the things he did for the creed for the brotherhood
3. Blending doesn't make sence because the devs are more interested in naval battles. In AC2, if you didn't buy any armor, blendidng wasn't that ridiculous since you were hidden in large crowds or you were a pimp when using the courtesans too blend :).
4.But you have to agree that if he couldn't kill 40 redcoats without breaking a sweat and that if the story wasn't written in such a way his foolish choices didn't get him killed he would have died way long ago. That alone makes him a bad assassin.
5. Wait, if there weren't many people to help training him then how could he be a one man army. Superpowers?

But I understand what you're saying and I agree to an extent. However I want a better assassin next game, who plans missions and uses stealth instead of brute force. Meanwhile i'll keep an eye on THIEF (that's the game AC devs should look at when making an AC game)

Assassin_M
04-17-2013, 08:46 PM
but he eventualy did the things he did for the creed for the brotherhood
Like sparing Rodrigo...that was Awesome for the Creed and Brotherhood.

ACfan443
04-17-2013, 08:47 PM

That..
That annoyed me. :/

TRUKITTN
04-17-2013, 08:47 PM
The modern day story was the laziest most rushed thing I've ever seen. The ending was a massive cliffhanger despite Ubi saying this would be a conclusion, plot threads from previous games were brushed over or completely abandoned, the mission design for Desmond's missions was atrocious. It was disheartening to see just how little effort they put into the present day compared to the past. Most disappointing thing for me.

The present day letdown was a pretty big disappointment for me. Specially at the arse end of it. Not even so much the cliffhanger but the lack of I dunno... fanfare? Purpose? Anything could fit there. I did not like the 'throwaway' feeling it had. There was some buildup and then, *thud* and the credits roll. My expression at the end of AC3:

http://www.amcgltd.com/archives/whutiancu5.jpg

Besides that, the major, major problem I had with the game was the bugs and glitches. So durn frustrating to deal with some of them, especially on a console. Mind, I wasn't disappointed in the game as a whole. In fact, I really really liked it outside of these issues, but these two things really sapped away my enthusiasm when they occured. The latter happened way too much not to impact my overall opinion of the game so I really hope it will not be a problem in ACIV.

Assassin_M
04-17-2013, 08:50 PM
That..
That annoyed me. :/
Yeah kill 12 guys (with one of them having nothing to do with his father`s death, not to mention being a damm mental case) then when you get to the Snake`s head, oh no I`m done...Wait....Revenge ?? No, no..i`m beyond revenge now....Alright..alright, good...The Brotherhood ?? that *******`s death would benefit them greatly, right ?? Uuhhhhh

Just when Ezio starts fighting for the Brotherhood, he spares Rodrigo...wonderful

I`d just like to mention that I DO agree that the stupidest moment in AC history is when Connor spontaneously gets captured and given to Lee, I would liked something similar to Majd Addin`s funeral

AssassinHMS
04-17-2013, 08:57 PM

I think that was because of historical accuracy and he realized his mistake in the beggining of brotherhood so he traveled to Rome and did a lot for the creed. If it wasn't for that mistake Cesare would not have attaked the Villa, Ezio would not have travelled to Rome and he wouldn't have done the things he did that were fundamental for the brotherhood and for the creed.
Capito? :)

Assassin_M
04-17-2013, 08:59 PM
I think that was because of historical accuracy and he realized his mistake in the beggining of brotherhood so he traveled to Rome and did a lot for the creed. If it wasn't for that mistake Cesare would not have attaked the Villa, Ezio would not have travelled to Rome and he wouldn't have done the things he did that were fundamental for the brotherhood and for the creed.
Capito?
That`s Ezio`s second game...you really think it`s fair to compare Ezio`s entire trilogy with just Connor`s only game so far ?? I mean come on, it`s already unfair comparing a 40 year old Ezio with a 27 year old Connor

Ezio is FAAAAR wiser than Connor then i guess ??

I`m being objective

AssassinHMS
04-17-2013, 09:07 PM
That`s Ezio`s second game...you really think it`s fair to compare Ezio`s entire trilogy with just Connor`s only game so far ?? I mean come on, it`s already unfair comparing a 40 year old Ezio with a 27 year old Connor

Ezio is FAAAAR wiser than Connor then i guess ??

Lets be fair

Like I said before I didn't want to compare characters because it's never fair, I just continued your line of thought. But my point still stands: Connor didn't blend and he didn't plan his missions and that's bad for an assassin. I actually wouldn't mind that if I could plan the missions for him but AC 3 doesn't let me do that...

Assassin_M
04-17-2013, 09:16 PM
Like I said before I didn't want to compare characters because it's never fair, I just continued your line of thought. But my point still stands: Connor didn't blend and he didn't plan his missions and that's bad for an assassin. I actually wouldn't mind that if I could plan the missions for him but AC 3 doesn't let me do that...
your point fails for the simple fact that EVERY Assassin never blended (barring Altair) Ezio walked around with a sword, small knife, armor and crossbow, but for some odd reason, you`re overlooking that and creating weird excuses on why it`s justified for Ezio but not for Connor, and Connor did plan a mission...I wouldn't call it anything near AC I-level of plans, but at least he planned something and that was a nice refresh from AC II`s COMPLETE LACK of plans by Ezio..like....at all

AssassinHMS
04-17-2013, 09:22 PM
your point fails for the simple fact that EVERY Assassin never blended (barring Altair) Ezio walked around with a sword, small knife, armor and crossbow, but for some odd reason, you`re overlooking that and creating weird excuses on why it`s justified for Ezio but not for Connor, and Connor did plan a mission...I wouldn't call it anything near AC I-level of plans, but at least he planned something and that was a nice refresh from AC II`s COMPLETE LACK of plans by Ezio..like....at all

Actually it doesn't fail since you could remove the crossbow, the knife, the sword, but not the bow and the bow is mandatory. Also guards had crosbows, swords and knives while Connor was the only one with a bow (exept for the other natives). They might as well say kill the guy with the bow.
As for the only mission Connor planed, did it go well? Did he kill the target? Nope.

Assassin_M
04-17-2013, 09:25 PM
Actually it doesn't fail since you could remove the crossbow, the knife, the sword, but not the bow and the bow is mandatory. Also guards had crosbows, swords and knives while Connor was the only one with a bow (exept for the other natives). They might as well say kill the guy with the bow.
As for the only mission Connor planed, did it go well? Did he kill the target? Nope.
You can`t remove the crossbow actually, you can refrain from buying it, but you can`t remove it once you have...also, a lot of hunters had bows during the Colonial times...see ?? I can play that pretty card too...also, Ezio is supposed to blend with PEOPLE, not guards

You just said "Connor never planned a mission" and I proved you wrong, nothing about FAILING a mission...did Ezio kill Rodrigo, his target ?? Lol..nope

AssassinHMS
04-17-2013, 09:44 PM
You can`t remove the crossbow actually, you can refrain from buying it, but you can`t remove it once you have...also, a lot of hunters had bows during the Colonial times...see ?? I can play that pretty card too...also, Ezio is supposed to blend with PEOPLE, not guards

You just said "Connor never planned a mission" and I proved you wrong, nothing about FAILING a mission...did Ezio kill Rodrigo, his target ?? Lol..nope

Maybe I'm wrong maybe I'm right but that is not the point and I don't care about proving you wrong. Anyway I still want an assassin who behaves like one.
By the way you can remove the crossbow. All you have to do is let Ezio die while using the crossbow during a fight and before you desynchronize, if you change outfits in the main menu, you will respawn without the crossbow.
Also did you know having a sword (in AC2 time period) was a sign of nobility?

SixKeys
04-17-2013, 09:47 PM
By the way you can remove the crossbow. All you have to do is let Ezio die while using the crossbow during a fight and before you desynchronize, if you change outfits in the main menu, you will respawn without the crossbow.

That's just an oversight on the part of the devs. If those count, then it is possible to remove the bow in AC3 as well, since the bow will not show up if Connor is wearing an alternate outfit (Captain of the Aquila, Colonial Assassin etc.).

Assassin_M
04-17-2013, 09:50 PM
All you have to do is let Ezio die while using the crossbow during a fight and before you desynchronize, if you change outfits in the main menu, you will respawn without the crossbow.
Also did you know having a sword (in AC2 time period) was a sign of nobility?
That`s a glitch and if you count those, well........ACR should be praised for having a remove hood option :P

Yes....a sword...not a sword, a short sword, dozen armor and crossbow;)

trust me, I want an Assassin who behaves like one too, the one closest to that was Altair. He blended well, there were investigations and planning and stealth still had a meaning. I do not think Connor is the best Assassin, nor do i praise Connor`s Assassin skills.

in terms of the elements introduced in AC I of actually being an Assassin, Altair is right up there....no one can touch him yet..he`s the PERFECT assassin

AssassinHMS
04-17-2013, 09:51 PM
That's just an oversight on the part of the devs. If those count, then it is possible to remove the bow in AC3 as well, since the bow will not show up if Connor is wearing an alternate outfit (Captain of the Aquila, Colonial Assassin etc.).

The quiver wont show up, but the bow will.

AssassinHMS
04-17-2013, 09:55 PM
That`s a glitch and if you count those, well........ACR should be praised for having a remove hood option :P

Yes....a sword...not a sword, a short sword, dozen armor and crossbow;)

I know. Actually I am against armor too (an assassin is not a warrior)
Notice that my intention is not defending Ezio or attacking Connor, I'm just pointing out things that don't make sense.

TheHumanTowel
04-17-2013, 09:56 PM
What? Loads of Ezio's missions had plans. He spent 5 years preparing for the assassination of Emilio Barbarigo, he planned to use the flying machine to get into the Palazzo Ducale, he planned to win the Golden mask to get access to the party, he planned the assault on the Arsenale. All those required foresight and thought.

Assassin_M
04-17-2013, 10:11 PM
What? Loads of Ezio's missions had plans. He spent 5 years preparing for the assassination of Emilio Barbarigo, he planned to use the flying machine to get into the Palazzo Ducale, he planned to win the Golden mask to get access to the party, he planned the assault on the Arsenale. All those required foresight and thought.
Lol he never planned ANY of those.

Emilio`s Assassination was ALL Antonio`s plan
The Flying Machine is not even a plan, just a way...the plan of using numerous fire pits around Venice was Leonardo`s
The Golden mask was not Ezio`s plan, it was Teodora`s
The Assault on the arsenal was Bartolomeo`s plan

I believe you have "plan" confused with 'Carrying out"

VitaminsXYZ
04-17-2013, 10:14 PM
1. Agreed
2. Yes, but when you're an assassin you're an assassin. You can't base your decisions on a village or because it's best for your "people". You do it because your an assassin. It's not just a job it's who you are. I understand Ezio had his own reasons at the beggining as well but he eventualy did the things he did for the creed for the brotherhood
3. Blending doesn't make sence because the devs are more interested in naval battles. In AC2, if you didn't buy any armor, blendidng wasn't that ridiculous since you were hidden in large crowds or you were a pimp when using the courtesans too blend :).
4.But you have to agree that if he couldn't kill 40 redcoats without breaking a sweat and that if the story wasn't written in such a way his foolish choices didn't get him killed he would have died way long ago. That alone makes him a bad assassin.
5. Wait, if there weren't many people to help training him then how could he be a one man army. Superpowers?

The last two points are more gameplay though. You could easily mow down a ton of guards in previous games as well. In any case, I wasn't talking about Connor's effectiveness as a fighter. He certainly has that part down. I meant more that there wasn't anyone to teach him the finer points of thinking and acting like an assassin, which doesn't necessarily entail fighting.

And as for blending, again, this is how it's been with most AC games. Our protagonists usually stick out like a sore thumb, regardless of what they're equipped with. "Suspension of (extreme) disbelief" in this case. lol

I'll just echo what M said. No, I don't think Connor is the best assassin, and I'm not trying to convince you otherwise. (Can't help but throw in some counter-arguments from time to time. ;) ) Altair is pretty much the embodiment of the creed, and I don't think anyone can top him there. However, as I've said before, I don't think Connor is a terrible assassin. More like a young, inexperienced one who didn't have much guidance. He has a lot of potential, but a lot more to learn as well. (Such as planning skills. XD)

Assassin_M
04-17-2013, 10:20 PM
but a lot more to learn as well. (Such as planning skills. XD)
Yeah, like not walking into a funeral then get caught like a damm amateur...

My god that looked ridiculous...

."Okay, Haytham`s funeral...gotta walk there ? Fine piece of cake"

"Ooh ? Loading screen, will probably show Charles` speech then switch back to Connor blending then SHING kill Lee from the crowd"

"Wait.............what ?"

TheHumanTowel
04-17-2013, 10:22 PM
Lol he never planned ANY of those.

Emilio`s Assassination was ALL Antonio`s plan
The Flying Machine is not even a plan, just a way...the plan of using numerous fire pits around Venice was Leonardo`s
The Golden mask was not Ezio`s plan, it was Teodora`s
The Assault on the arsenal was Bartolomeo`s plan

I believe you have "plan" confused with 'Carrying out"
I'll just say I'd rather have the assassin carry out a well-thought out plan from someone else than have him act like an idiot which was Connor's approach to most missions.

Assassin_M
04-17-2013, 10:23 PM
I'll just say I'd rather have the assassin carry out a well-thought out plan from someone else than have him act like an idiot which was Connor's approach to most missions.
Fine by me:rolleyes:

I`d rather have ACTUAL planning and investigation (i.e AC I`s system)...

monster_rambo
04-17-2013, 10:32 PM
Fine by me:rolleyes:

I`d rather have ACTUAL planning and investigation (i.e AC I`s system)...

^gets kind of repetitive doesn't it.

Assassin_M
04-17-2013, 10:36 PM
^gets kind of repetitive doesn't it.
I played it on PC, so i didn't feel any repetitiveness, I made a unique set of investigations for each mission too..

for example, for the first mission, I entered the city using the Scholars, synced view point, went to bureau, eavesdrop, pickpocket, Assassinate
second mission, I entered city using free running, helped a Lady being harassed, went to bureau, synced a view point, pickpocket, informer, rooftop race

same for every mission after that, I created my own experience...

AssassinHMS
04-17-2013, 10:44 PM
The last two points are more gameplay though. You could easily mow down a ton of guards in previous games as well. In any case, I wasn't talking about Connor's effectiveness as a fighter. He certainly has that part down. I meant more that there wasn't anyone to teach him the finer points of thinking and acting like an assassin, which doesn't necessarily entail fighting.

And as for blending, again, this is how it's been with most AC games. Our protagonists usually stick out like a sore thumb, regardless of what they're equipped with. "Suspension of (extreme) disbelief" in this case. lol

I'll just echo what M said. No, I don't think Connor is the best assassin, and I'm not trying to convince you otherwise. (Can't help but throw in some counter-arguments from time to time. ;) ) Altair is pretty much the embodiment of the creed, and I don't think anyone can top him there. However, as I've said before, I don't think Connor is a terrible assassin. More like a young, inexperienced one who didn't have much guidance. He has a lot of potential, but a lot more to learn as well. (Such as planning skills. XD)

I also don't think Connor is a terrible assassin and I don't want to compare protagonists. What I want is for Ubisoft to make the best AC yet and that includes a main character that feels like an assassin, one that plans missions (not just one), that relies on the hidden blade and a few gadgets (not an entire arsenal or armor), that is stealthy and that reflects about life, about being an assassin, about freedom and peace and about himself. I only brought Connor up because I didn't see any of this in him. I could have brought ezio as well but I thought Connor suited better. Anyway I'd like to see a game where Connor grows and becomes wiser but I doubt the devs would do it and that they would do it properly. Anyway I enjoyed countering your counter-arguments :)

shobhit7777777
04-17-2013, 10:49 PM
In regards to the whole "Behave like an Assassin" discussion....I felt that ACR Ezio was the perfect fit.

He was portrayed as a leader, a planner and a strategist in both narrative and gameplay terms....and the game really supported the whole "Badass Mentor Assassin" via the gameplay options

Bombs, poisons, hidden blades etc. they really opened up the arsenal and blended together everything from all the games (except investigations and meaningful mission design) and IMO really provided me with an excellent urban Assassin experience

EVERYTHING about ACR was perfect in regards to Assassin gameplay

- Ezio was wiser, measured and had a "refined wine" quality about him...from the way he interacted with those around him to his overall goal in the game.
- His robes and armor were minimal and were the best IMO when it came to a 'blending' - he looked like a seasoned traveller, a foreign merchant....and in a city like Istanbul, it was perfect camouflage...not a nobleman yet not a tourist
- The game didn't force you to buy anything apart from the initial set of armour..which could be ignored...you travelled light and since AC2(? or B?) you could get rid of all weapons....this gave Ezio a very lean mean look...relying only on Hidden blades for direct combat or silent killing....which, IMO, again highlighted how experienced and seasoned Ezio had become...using only the bare minimum
- The bombs and their various combos added a tactical element to the game..add the brotherhood and the Assassin Dens...and you had your assassin sandbox set...plus it felt uber cool to create a diversion with bombs and silently assassinate the Templar captain

My memory of AC2 Ezio is hazy regarding exactly what he did...but he proved himself as a strategist and a more than capable leader in Brotherhood...it was his plan to unite all the guilds, he was the one who liberated Rome.

In ACR we see more of this...and didn't he, on several occassions, plan and execute daring attacks, raids and offer solutions to major problems?

Connor...IMO is a fantastic Assassin as well....except that he wouldn't thrive in an urban environment...a blade in the crowd he is not. He IS however a hunter of men. He is certainly a blade in the grass. Outside of the urban landscape he is certainly the most effective IMO....at least according to gameplay

Unfortunately all his skills are wasted thanks to the mission design which instead of showcasing Connor's prowess as a wolf-like Assassin in the wilderness.....has us riding a horse and giving firing orders as Connor.

TBH arguing who is the better Assassin is kinda moot..since it is all player controlled anyway

In my hands Ezio could be a fumbling buffoon....in someone else's...an angel of silent death....

P.S

Altair was the shizz.....need a return to form. I hope Eddie is an amalgamation of ACR Ezio and Altair in terms of MO

Megas_Doux
04-17-2013, 10:52 PM
Altair was the shizz.....need a return to form. I hope Eddie is an amalgamation of ACR Ezio and Altair in terms of MO

Altair is overall the best assassin, not my favorite though, Connor is.... And in regards to Edward, well his only "assassination" has been, and by far, the most silent one on all the CGI trailers!

it is something :P

silvermercy
04-17-2013, 11:04 PM
Altair is overall the best assassins, not my favorite though.... And in regards to Edward, well his only "assassination" has been, and by far, the most silent one on all the CGI trailers!

Well, they HAVE emphasised Edward's "silence" indeed! XD (Heck even when he shoots, I'm almost sure his pistols have some primitive silencers now! O_o)

AdamPearce
04-18-2013, 01:22 AM
Altair is overall the best assassin, not my favorite though, Connor is.... And in regards to Edward, well his only "assassination" has been, and by far, the most silent one on all the CGI trailers!

No it was a stupid assassination and even if it didn't make a lot of noise, anyone passing by can scream for guards and f*ck things up, seriously, you can't just kill a guy in the MIDDLE OF THE STREET and take his date, you can't do that. Anyone passing across the road can see him, okay in the other it wasn't any better lol. But still, and ramming a ship like this isn't better, even he doesn't let any survivor, he still rushed in the battle and kick the hell out of everyone. But something I like about him, he takes his hood off when he doesn't fight, that's real nice, I really liked when he putted his hood before killing his target.

Was the one in Revelations, did you heard the noise of the rope? Me netter. ;) Lol

poptartz20
04-18-2013, 09:02 AM
I wonder sometimes if AC3 wasn't as hyped as it was would people still feel the same way about it?

Anyways back to the topic at hand. At first when I played through AC3 I absolutely loved it. After time and reflection, I slowly can see why so many people are disappointed with it. As much as I do like this game I can say, It could have been better. There were loopholes in the story, and some things just weren't clear in explanation. Missions were really restricted, pacing didn't really bother me since Haytham was a great character, but with the way the game was laid out it should have been longer or they should have made Haytham's part shorter. ( I think there was reason behind this) The assassinations had to many press this button, chase after this person and kill them, and then when you finally fight your father you actually don't even get to hear their entire speech if you instantly counter all 3 of his attacks right off.

The only place Connor got to really shine was the homestead. I enjoyed this aspect more than I thought I would. I loved the fact that the villagers would carry on about their daily lives and acknowledge Connor as a neighbor at one point I hear the tavern owners talk about a letter he got in the mail saying that his mother was alive and well and they celebrated! I likes those little aspects of the game it shows they took time with some details of the game. Clearly not all though.

Stealth... ahh. Well there were some steps forward and backwards. Basically putting it back in the same spot. : / a crouch button would have been great. I had many time where I would be in between bushes and UP goes Connor. I liked the fact that you could hide behind walls and whistle for someone to come over I did wonder why you could only do this from a haystack or from a wall. Why not when youre crouching in a bush?

The ending... well I don't mind that Desmond died. It's just the way they went about it. It should have been more heart felt... or glorious. I mean he did sacrifice himself to save the world.

Fighting It took me awhile to get used to, but I didn't find it mindlessly easy either. I was still used to the older system way which the Constant perry until you can get a hit was annoying. The game should have been more like ToKW fighting wise.

STDlyMcStudpants
04-18-2013, 10:58 PM
Assassins Creed 3 does not deserve the bad press it gets at all.
Peoples main complaint were connor, glitches, and un matched hype.
I do agree that the hype was insane..nothing could live up to it. But the same can be said for Call of Duty games that get praised by review websites.
There were glitches such as getting stuck in a cabin in the woods if you attacked a guard a certain way and an animal getting stuck in the rock or on the ship coming to america the passenger would have a twin, but it was a once in a blue moon thing..not reoccurring and did not take away from the game at all in my opinion..which takes me to connor..this is THE ONLY PLACE where I think Ubi failed for the game.
He was a quiet character with hardly any emotion. Which was perfect if you thought about the situation...but thats the problem YOU HAD TO THINK.
Naturally hardcore "fanboys" such as myself think about everything in an AC game so connor made perfect sense but for the masses it was just like WTF is this, this guy is so lame and sounds 12.
They needed to focus on character development more.
Sure I was playing as young connor and just thought UGH let me be an assassin already, but that was primarily because as young connor i couldnt do much of anything.
They should have added a sequence of his younger years BEFORE *SPOILER* his mother died to live that bond and the bond between he and his brother to understand his stone cold blunt attitude,

But overall the game to me was a 9/10 and the most enjoyable game ive ever played

warner4692
04-18-2013, 11:38 PM
Story: The story is a huge part of every AC game. It began with such a mysterious, intriguing, compelling plot. In the first game, I was eagerly digging up details about the game's universe. In the second, I was introduced to a fantastic mind screw of a plot twist. In ACB, I devoured all the added details. In ACR, I was promised answers and conclusions, but given none. In ACIII, I was promised all that and more, but... STILL given none. Not only that, but there's not really very much that's compelling or intriguing anymore. At this point, the plot is just... happening.

As far as the ancestor goes, although Haytham was pretty cool, he only lasted for three sequences. After that, the plot sort of changed into a mixture of previous games. Connor suffers a severe personal tragedy like Ezio, but approaches it with the stoicism of Altair. That, and the father-vs.-son plot that grew between Haytham and Connor just wasn't very well executed. The villains weren't very compelling. Meeting the historical characters, such as George Washington and Benjamin Franklin, wasn't very cool or exciting like it was in ACII. The story, as a whole, just isn't great.

Gameplay: First of all, what did they do to the controls? The characters slip and slide around on the ground, and are unwieldy. The slightest touch of the analog stick sends them off in that direction, constantly throwing the player off. The loss of the jogging from the previous games makes the free-running a lot harder to manage, too. The camera hasn't gotten any better. The combat's just a total mess. There are some good positives though, such as the eavesdropping mechanic. And hiding in the tall grass or using cover. That's cool, but it was used in stealth situations that just aren't acceptable. It wouldn't be so bad if the 100% synch feature wasn't there, and I could afford to get caught. At least they finally added a checkpoint option, but the problem with that is: it essentially turns Assassin's Creed into a shooter. The game literally becomes about surviving from checkpoint to checkpoint. Hunting was a nice idea, although the button mapping is confusing and awkward. The map screen and the way it is controlled. The menus and fonts. The whole thing, just... ugh! And don't even get me started on the naval battles...

Music: AC used to have some very atmospheric and subtle music that really added to the overall sense of scale and mystery of the universe. Perhaps it's partly because ACR has almost destroyed all the scale and mystery of the universe, but there was nothing like that in ACIII. The main theme is probably the track I hate the most. It just vibrates up the back of my skull and shocks my brain. Some good tracks are there, of course, but not many.

Voices: No... Just, no.

Graphics: I've been replaying older games. The graphics were a bit more gritty and realistic in the older games, and it helped to create a certain feeling that was very attractive. Now, they're way too bright and the characters look something like cartoons. A little brightening up in ACII was a great idea, particularly when one is wandering in Venice at night, but they've REALLY killed it. The graphics just aren't as detailed, either. Towards the end of ACII, for example, when the player is infiltrating the Vatican to assassinate Rodrigo Borgia, there's so much intricate detail. Borderline none of that exists in ACIII.

But the biggest problem is definitely the failed promises. Of course, when a developer is making a game, there'll be certain things that won't turn out the way they're expected to. But ACIII just missed or blatantly botched up so much of it, it's... well, not forgivable.

warner4692
04-18-2013, 11:41 PM
In regards to the whole "Behave like an Assassin" discussion....I felt that ACR Ezio was the perfect fit.

He was portrayed as a leader, a planner and a strategist in both narrative and gameplay terms....and the game really supported the whole "Badass Mentor Assassin" via the gameplay options

I couldn't agree with that more.

silvermercy
04-18-2013, 11:43 PM
....But ACIII just missed or blatantly botched up so much of it, it's... well, not forgivable.

I'm surprised AC3 devs have not visited a priest for repentance yet! LOL

warner4692
04-18-2013, 11:59 PM
I'm surprised AC3 devs have not visited a priest for repentance yet! LOL

Yeah...

Well, anyway, I didn't like ACIII, is the point. :)

Assassin_M
04-19-2013, 12:02 AM
I would love a "How AC II disappointed you" thread

STDlyMcStudpants
04-19-2013, 01:17 AM
I would love a "How AC II disappointed you" thread
Lol for its time it was a great leap..it blew the original out of the water..but i also believe ac 3 did the same and blew ac 2 out of the water.

warner4692
04-19-2013, 01:20 AM
Lol for its time it was a great leap..it blew the original out of the water..but i also believe ac 3 did the same and blew ac 2 out of the water.

How?

STDlyMcStudpants
04-19-2013, 01:31 AM
How?

Personal preferences.
I just enjoyed the overall experience more. I loved the frontier and hunting. A nice change of pace from the constant city settings. :)
Going into the forest and finding a cave behind a waterfall, climbing a cliff front, going even deeper into the forest and finding a little villiage of beavers in a hidden small pond.
I just really loved the exploration aspects. :)

warner4692
04-19-2013, 01:38 AM
Personal preferences.
I just enjoyed the overall experience more. I loved the frontier and hunting. A nice change of pace from the constant city settings. :)
Going into the forest and finding a cave behind a waterfall, climbing a cliff front, going even deeper into the forest and finding a little villiage of beavers in a hidden small pond.
I just really loved the exploration aspects. :)

I really liked the idea of the hunting when it was first announced, but the aiming system made it hard for me to enjoy it. I did, overall, I suppose. The forest area, I get. I didn't have a problem with the city settings, as they are something about AC I particularly enjoy, but the forest area was just beautiful. I also liked the rumors and story missions. I get the exploration thing, at least. :D

Assassin_M
04-19-2013, 01:45 AM
Not really, for me, it wasn't a leap at all...it was a step back in many departments...especially freedom

STDlyMcStudpants
04-19-2013, 02:39 AM
Not really, for me, it wasn't a leap at all...it was a step back in many departments...especially freedom

It's strange for a lot of us when it comes to chosing favorites. I guess it all comes down to where we started. I started the series with AC Revelations and then went back and played AC 1 then AC 3 then ACB and AC 2 last. I have to say, I didnt really enjoy the first assassins creed at all..but having experienced the cinematic beauty ac rev was to me at the time, it spoiled the experience for me a bit.
The first assassins Creed was probably the most challenging and you got to chose if you did a mission and how you killed somebody..i heard they are bringing this back in ac 4

STDlyMcStudpants
04-19-2013, 02:43 AM
I really liked the idea of the hunting when it was first announced, but the aiming system made it hard for me to enjoy it. I did, overall, I suppose. The forest area, I get. I didn't have a problem with the city settings, as they are something about AC I particularly enjoy, but the forest area was just beautiful. I also liked the rumors and story missions. I get the exploration thing, at least. :D

And you felt really lost in it too? It felt exactly to me like in real life, when im in the forest i just go every and anywhere, and when i was in a city id just go to way points and then id get someone talking about a ufo and id go look for it and found a cool little farm and this huge hill with a lonely tree at the top i never saww before..and i really appreciated that about the game. View points didnt show you everything on the map..some of the map was uncovered by your traveling

warner4692
04-19-2013, 02:54 AM
And you felt really lost in it too? It felt exactly to me like in real life, when im in the forest i just go every and anywhere, and when i was in a city id just go to way points and then id get someone talking about a ufo and id go look for it and found a cool little farm and this huge hill with a lonely tree at the top i never saww before..and i really appreciated that about the game. View points didnt show you everything on the map..some of the map was uncovered by your traveling

I did. I think the longest time I spent in the game was simply going EVERYWHERE with Connor when he was still a teenager, which is how I've always played AC games - by exploring everything I can the first time I get to it. Even with Haytham, I covered a LOT of ground. And I really liked it when it was snowy out, too. It added to the atmosphere. I adored that. I get the feeling you're describing, I think. ACIII's frontier is the closest to a real life exploration as it gets in these games. Climbing the trees was sometimes frustrating, because I couldn't tell which way to go or which branches I'd be able to grab. I thought the view points were some of the most beautiful since ACII.

On a side note, I agree with what you said about which games people like being about where they started. Technically, I started with the first game, because I was aware of all the trailers and things for it. I just never got into it, because it looked like yet-another-seventh-gen-m-rated-killing-game, to me. It took one of my brothers playing it in front of me once, and me catching sight of ACII's opening for me to give the series a chance.

Funnily enough... even though that was in Christmas of 2010... I STILL paid $60 for each game...

STDlyMcStudpants
04-19-2013, 03:30 AM
I did. I think the longest time I spent in the game was simply going EVERYWHERE with Connor when he was still a teenager, which is how I've always played AC games - by exploring everything I can the first time I get to it. Even with Haytham, I covered a LOT of ground. And I really liked it when it was snowy out, too. It added to the atmosphere. I adored that. I get the feeling you're describing, I think. ACIII's frontier is the closest to a real life exploration as it gets in these games. Climbing the trees was sometimes frustrating, because I couldn't tell which way to go or which branches I'd be able to grab. I thought the view points were some of the most beautiful since ACII.

On a side note, I agree with what you said about which games people like being about where they started. Technically, I started with the first game, because I was aware of all the trailers and things for it. I just never got into it, because it looked like yet-another-seventh-gen-m-rated-killing-game, to me. It took one of my brothers playing it in front of me once, and me catching sight of ACII's opening for me to give the series a chance.

Funnily enough... even though that was in Christmas of 2010... I STILL paid $60 for each game...

haha when i started out i bought everything new too..i porbably would have never played the original or even went back to play the past games if the original AC didnt come with ac rev for free
and I'm the same way when i play, the ! on my map is always the last place i go..i want to go right to shops, get a map and go crazy :D I love collectibles (with a map) a forced exploration..but some of the really cool hiding spots in AC 3 i would have rather found myself than a map telling me to go to this hill and thinking for 5 min and being like DUH there is a hole or cave opening around here somewhere..wouldve been a bit better stumbling on it myself instead of getting clued where it was...but at the same time, i wasnt a fan of the feather hunting with no help in AC 2 lol