PDA

View Full Version : Sshadow era expansion released

Psychobabble.au
04-15-2013, 11:59 PM
i know there's a few ex-shadow era players out here, so I thought I'd point out the first expansion set for the game has been released - dark prophecies. It's had possibly the stupidest design/development cycle for a first TCG expansion ever, taking over a year since the last (small) card update to be released.

The cards themselves are ok. There's some stuff that's fairly pushed and some nice new options for decks, but nothing that really changes the game. There's no new heroes and the big sub-themes of the expansion (elemental damage matters and attachments) are basically a bust for serious constructed play. The game itself is still pretty grindy, with attrition battles being fought over creatures that can always attack each other. It seems that mages are much less strong for once though, which is probably the first time in the history of the game they haven't been T1.

I'm finding myself unable to play the game though. Not only is the gameplay meh, but the development of MMDOC has really shone the spotlight on how awful the SE client and game system is. The client is really slow, buggy (half the time when you try to buy cards from the merchant you get a double-overlay of the store which messes things up) and has an ugly and completely irrelevant campaign map as you opening screen. No achievements and no tournament modes, apart from the very random "meltdown" sealed which has a WEEK LONG jackpot with position based almost entirely on number of games played and no ladder during the week. and did I mention each game has an entry fee? it's so awful playing in these tournaments, you have to spend a huge amount of money for an uncertain reward and grind out a whole week of games.

Anyway, I was waiting to see if the exapansion revived my interest in that game, but it's a resounding no, and I'm sticking with MMDOC. Others might be interested in checking it out though :).

Harmbringer
04-16-2013, 12:18 PM
nice way to reduce server load for a short amount of time ;-)

ovagamevn
04-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Shadow Era is a great card game , its devs just don't have the budget to make it more attractive and fix the synch problem .

If it was backed by a big name , it would be a lot better , but then , you wouldn't be able to buy every single with in-game currency ( which card collectors , as for many other DoC players , have been crying for )