PDA

View Full Version : My opinion from playing AC3 before AC2

Jack_Pirate
04-15-2013, 04:29 PM
So I happen to be one of those people that play AC3 because of all the hype. I beat AC1 but ogther than that i had no other experience of AC. I thought AC3 was fantastic. I could not understand why people were hating on it. But now that I am almost finished with AC2, I have noticed many AWESOME features in AC2 that make it so much more enjoyable than AC3.

-armor upgrades
-ability to use crowds to get rid of guards
-hunting for Assassin Seals to unlock Altairs armor
-renovating the Villa and your awesome mansion.
-a steady income from the city instead of having to do trade
-way more outfit customizations
-WAY better notoriety system( AC3...i dont even)
-the variety of weapons available.
-somewhat difficult combat
-way cooler buildings to climb (and i might add, they were somewhat a challenge. not just a straight climb upwards)
-far better crowd reactions from things Ezio does
-the soundtrack is AWESOME (my gf watched me play just to listen to the music hahah)
-way more loot to loot
this list could go on. but these are the ones i can think of at the moment.

the only things AC3 have going for it are the graphics, Naval missions, historical time period (Am Rev is just a cool time period. lots of notable figures), More fluid combat(however, way too easy)

so from a gameplay standpoint, Ill play AC3 if im in a Naval mood, but AC2 (and i and betting ACB and ACR) are better games to play

edit- also really enjoythe AC3 sountrack, but the lack of ambient music makes it a less memorable soundtrack than AC2

jayjay275
04-15-2013, 04:36 PM
I agree.
The setting was much better to look at than Boston, New York and the Frontier.

Jack_Pirate
04-15-2013, 04:40 PM
yeah, i really couldnt see a difference between New york and Boston. but then again, alot of the cities in AC2 look the same too. I think AC4 will give citys different vibes and atmospheres

jayjay275
04-15-2013, 04:44 PM
yeah, i really couldnt see a difference between New york and Boston. but then again, alot of the cities in AC2 look the same too. I think AC4 will give citys different vibes and atmospheres

We can only hope.

pirate1802
04-15-2013, 04:57 PM
yeah, i really couldnt see a difference between New york and Boston.

Agreed. NY just seemed to be a cleaner version of Boston and it was terribly underutilized.

but then again, alot of the cities in AC2 look the same too. I think AC4 will give citys different vibes and atmospheres

I could make out the difference between the cities, mainly because of Venice's foggy horizon and the beautiful waterways. Damn, just writing about it makes me wanna play that game again. That's beauty.

Assassin_M
04-15-2013, 05:26 PM
I think some people expect me here ? am I disappointing you ?:rolleyes:

ArabianFrost
04-15-2013, 05:32 PM

Poor guy didn't mention anything about Ezio superiority, so yeah...... take that.

TheHumanTowel
04-15-2013, 05:33 PM
I don't see anyone mentioning you. Until you posted of course.

Assassin_M
04-15-2013, 05:34 PM
I don't see anyone mentioning you. Until you posted of course.
I didn't say mention...I said EXPECT

pirate1802
04-15-2013, 05:34 PM

Nope.

TheHumanTowel
04-15-2013, 05:37 PM
I didn't say mention...I said EXPECT
Well that's presumptuous.

monster_rambo
04-15-2013, 05:38 PM
@Jack_Pirate. This guy is my new friend. Welcome to the ACII fanboys club.

Assassin_M
04-15-2013, 05:41 PM
does that club have a physical location ??

monster_rambo
04-15-2013, 05:42 PM
does that club have a physical location ??

Right next to Cairo, just to **** you off.

pirate1802
04-15-2013, 05:43 PM

lolololol!!

Assassin_M
04-15-2013, 05:47 PM
That`s nice...that wouldn't **** me off at all, you know ? some **** happening in Cairo, I wouldn't want a Molotov to.....well.. naaah that`s not gonna happen......maybe....maybe

I think I just cost the country billions in tourism

montagemik
04-15-2013, 05:53 PM
That`s nice...that wouldn't **** me off at all, you know ? some **** happening in Cairo, I wouldn't want a Molotov to.....well.. naaah that`s not gonna happen......maybe....maybe

I think I just cost the country billions in tourism

I think tourism dropped off a while ago ................... Not everything is your fault . :nonchalance:

TRUKITTN
04-15-2013, 06:03 PM
-way more outfit customizations
-WAY better notoriety system( AC3...i dont even)

These are the only two things I really agree with. The first, mainly because the outfit customizations carried over into cutscenes so it actually mattered. That's one of my pet peeves of AC3. It made having the alternate outfits completely pointless to me. Also the AC3 notoriety system was one of the glitchiest, buggiest things for me in the game. Seeing as how you could still get flash mobbed by hostile guards even while incognito, you couldn't trust what it said.

As for the rest, I gotta especially disagree with this one : ...a steady income from the city instead of having to do trade. The player involvment in AC3's trade system was far superior in my book and after playing with it, I personally hope they never go back to the "approach box/bank and receive money" economy again.

But there are a couple things not mentioned that I thought were better in the previous games.

-The weapon wheel was at its best in AC2 and AC:B. AC3's weapon wheel was problematic.
-The side quests were set up much more thoughtfully. What I mean is far too many of the side quests in AC3 were just you approaching some dude because of the icon on a map. And him just saying "thanks" for interacting. Connor apparently figures out what the person wants by telepathy. This mostly applies to courier, delivery and assassin missions. While I might could let the first 2 slide, the assassination contracts being handled this way is just plain unforgivable.

With the other gameplay elements, when they worked like they were supposed to, I either enjoyed them just as much as or more than AC2. I think the changes in combat were an improvement myself, both the way it handled and the way it looked. Taking out kill streaks, or having them require specific gear - such as a heavy weapon with devastting swings that would allow it, but leave you wide open to attack - would make the open combat just about perfect to me.

ArabianFrost
04-15-2013, 06:08 PM
I think tourism dropped off a while ago ................... Not everything is your fault . :nonchalance:

*Ssssssssssssssssssssss* burrrrn. I live there though, so ****.......

ArabianFrost
04-15-2013, 06:08 PM

Can I drop in for some tea and a casual talk about AC?

Sushiglutton
04-15-2013, 06:16 PM
I agree that AC2 had more magic to it than AC3. I think the setting, the Italian renaissance, was a better choice as it's naturaly beautiful and something completely different than what other games do. Boston/New York were a bit more dark and gritty, which to me didn't work as one of AC's main draws is that it isn't dark and gritty (like all these post-apocalyptic games), but bright and beautiful. This tonal difference was accentuated by the new protagonist Connor. As for gameplay AC3 felt more hand-holdy than ever which killed a lot of the fun of playing. But there were several improvements to the mechanics. Let's hope AC4 can figure it out :).

ACfan443
04-15-2013, 06:31 PM
I agree that AC2 had more magic to it than AC3. I think the setting, the Italian renaissance, was a better choice as it's naturaly beautiful and something completely different than what other games do. Boston/New York were a bit more dark and gritty, which to me didn't work as one of AC's main draws is that it isn't dark and gritty (like all these post-apocalyptic games), but bright and beautiful. This tonal difference was accentuated by the new protagonist Connor.

AC1 had the darkest and grittiest cities out of all the games IMO, and Altair for the most part was just like Connor, and it worked very well. Acre being a prime example of an awesome dark city.I don't think colourful, happy environments are the main draw for AC, I think it's more the architecture and scope.

Boston and New York lacked the character, scale and grandeur that cities from previous games had, they just felt very underdeveloped, bland and uninspired.

AjinkyaParuleka
04-15-2013, 06:31 PM
yeah.50 kg armor,free running and climbing buildings like a lizard.Yeah,f**k logic.

Sushiglutton
04-15-2013, 06:40 PM
AC1 had the darkest and grittiest cities out of all the games IMO, and Altair for the most part was just like Connor, and it worked very well. Acre being a prime example of an awesome dark city.I don't think colourful, happy environments are the main draw for AC, I think it's more the architecture and scope.

Boston and New York lacked the character, scale and grandeur that cities from previous games had, they just felt very underdeveloped, bland and uninspired.

Yeah I agree with that I suppose. Scale and grandeur is perhaps what I wanted to say lol. I think the devs did a fine job with Boston and New York, it's the American's who failed ;). With the guy who made the art direction for AC:R returning to AC4 and the Caribbean setting, I hope AC will regain some of its magic again.

ACfan443
04-15-2013, 06:58 PM
Yeah I agree with that I suppose. Scale and grandeur is perhaps what I wanted to say lol. I think the devs did a fine job with Boston and New York, it's the American's who failed ;). With the guy who made the art direction for AC:R returning to AC4 and the Caribbean setting, I hope AC will regain some of its magic again.

Yes :D
Contrary to what I said in the hype thread, I'm actually looking forward to Havana, I really hope it does bring back the magic.

lothario-da-be
04-15-2013, 07:09 PM
Yes :D
Contrary to what I said in the hype thread, I'm actually looking forward to Havana, I really hope it does bring back the magic.
I realy look foreward to Havana, but i fear for Kingston it looks like tropical Boston.

jayjay275
04-15-2013, 07:10 PM
I agree that AC2 had more magic to it than AC3. I think the setting, the Italian renaissance, was a better choice as it's naturaly beautiful and something completely different than what other games do. Boston/New York were a bit more dark and gritty, which to me didn't work as one of AC's main draws is that it isn't dark and gritty (like all these post-apocalyptic games), but bright and beautiful. This tonal difference was accentuated by the new protagonist Connor. As for gameplay AC3 felt more hand-holdy than ever which killed a lot of the fun of playing. But there were several improvements to the mechanics. Let's hope AC4 can figure it out :).

AC4 needs ambient music........

montagemik
04-15-2013, 07:28 PM
yeah.50 kg armor,free running and climbing buildings like a lizard.Yeah,f**k logic.

You forgot high water dives & swimming while wearing that gear

Jack_Pirate
04-15-2013, 07:29 PM

haha thanks mate. Dont get me wrong, I think AC3 is a good game. but i now see why people were disappointed by it.

Assassin_M
04-15-2013, 07:33 PM
The only thing I found better while replaying AC II, well...not really better, just made me understand why a lot prefer AC II, was the generally much better atmosphere. I don't know how to put it in words, but Ezio`s tale of revenge as grim and dark as it sounds is so much more magical, cheerful and colorful than Connor`s gritty, dark and tragic tale of justice.

Even when Ezio`s family is hanged, it still feels magical, not sad, there`s a certain flair...the music, the city, Ezio himself, he`s just drawn from one victory to another, he scores just 10 minutes into the game, he`s funny...it makes the player FEEL better overall.

AC II is a much more lighthearted adventure compared to AC I and AC III

regarding everything the OP said he preferred about AC II, I disagree with most of it, not to mention how I can`t even see the logic of some of his preferences, but I really don't care..who am I to judge ?

Jack_Pirate
04-15-2013, 07:36 PM

Not following. are you an AC3 fanboy or something?

not disappointed, people can read and comment at their leisure. no pressure

Assassin_M
04-15-2013, 07:37 PM
Not following. are you an AC3 fanboy or something?

not disappointed, people can read and comment at their leisure. no pressure
lol, that wasn't intended for you and AC3 fanboy ? that`s rich

Jack_Pirate
04-15-2013, 07:41 PM

Although I should be clear (because things seem to spread quickly on these forums, with like the 30 users that actually post stuff) I do not consider myself a fanboy of any particular entry in the series. I would say AC3 is my game of the year (last year now i guess even though i played it this year).

So far I have only beaten 1 and 3. I am a fan of the series as a whole and the Naval battles in AC3 are a HUGE enjoyment for me and made up for what seemed lacking. I really feel that that was what AC3 was all about. they used it as a beta for the Naval experience that is to come in AC4. I really believe AC4 will be the total package.

As far as which assassin I am most fond of, I really enjoyed Connors character. He might even be my favorite so far, but i do not care if he is in any other titles in the future. I feel like his story is done. Im pumped for Edwards story though

Jack_Pirate
04-15-2013, 07:48 PM
lol, that wasn't intended for you and AC3 fanboy ? that`s rich

lol

jayjay275
04-15-2013, 07:50 PM
AC1 = Felt like a proper assassin, but did not get into the game with the consistent investigations after each assassination.
AC2 = Best animus story
ACB = Most and best side missions and a good story
ACR = Good setting and atmosphere, but not the best of stories.
ACIII = Great fun and good story, but not much to do after beating the game except kill guards with no ambient music and no skill. (Once you finish the side missions that are nowhere near as good as Brotherhood's, excluding the Naval missions.)
My list.

lothario-da-be
04-15-2013, 07:51 PM
AC1 = Felt like a proper assassin, but did not get into the game with the consistent investigations after each assassination.
AC2 = Best animus story
ACIII = Great fun and good story, but not much to do after beating the game except kill guards with no ambient music and no skill. (Once you finish the side missions that are nowhere near as good as Brotherhood's, excluding the Naval missions.)
My list.
We think exactly the same on this.:p

jayjay275
04-15-2013, 07:52 PM
AC2 = Best animus story
ACIII = Great fun and good story, but not much to do after beating the game except kill guards with no ambient music and no skill. (Once you finish the side missions that are nowhere near as good as Brotherhood's, excluding the Naval missions. This doesn't include the homestead missions, as they were good but non-replayable.)
My opinion.

lothario-da-be
04-15-2013, 07:55 PM
AC2 = Best animus story
ACIII = Great fun and good story, but not much to do after beating the game except kill guards with no ambient music and no skill. (Once you finish the side missions that are nowhere near as good as Brotherhood's, excluding the Naval missions. This doesn't include the homestead missions, as they were good but non-replayable.)
My opinion.
You can edit posts:p

BATISTABUS
04-15-2013, 07:55 PM
-armor upgrades - This is a bad thing. It just makes the game easier and is a waste of development and play time.
-ability to use crowds to get rid of guards - AC3 doesn't do this?
-hunting for Assassin Seals to unlock Altairs armor - This was cool, and although it was done better in AC2, it's comparable to the AC3 Peg-leg Side Mission.
-renovating the Villa and your awesome mansion. - Pointless because money is pointless because armor/weapons are pointless because the game is too easy.
-a steady income from the city instead of having to do trade - See above.
-way more outfit customizations - Not really.
-WAY better notoriety system( AC3...i dont even) - It's not really different...
-the variety of weapons available. - This doesn't matter at all because they all amount to the same thing.
-somewhat difficult combat - Is this a joke? Seriously? It takes longer than it does in other games, but that doesn't make it more difficult. It just makes it annoying.
-way cooler buildings to climb (and i might add, they were somewhat a challenge. not just a straight climb upwards) - Agreed, but the leap skill kind of takes away from that.
-far better crowd reactions from things Ezio does - Haha alright alright.
-the soundtrack is AWESOME (my gf watched me play just to listen to the music hahah) - AC3's soundtrack was awesome as well.
-way more loot to loot - Again, anything related to money is pointless.

:(

Jack_Pirate
04-15-2013, 08:17 PM
-armor upgrades - This is a bad thing. It just makes the game easier and is a waste of development and play time.
-ability to use crowds to get rid of guards - AC3 doesn't do this?
-hunting for Assassin Seals to unlock Altairs armor - This was cool, and although it was done better in AC2, it's comparable to the AC3 Peg-leg Side Mission.
-renovating the Villa and your awesome mansion. - Pointless because money is pointless because armor/weapons are pointless because the game is too easy.
-a steady income from the city instead of having to do trade - See above.
-way more outfit customizations - Not really.
-WAY better notoriety system( AC3...i dont even) - It's not really different...
-the variety of weapons available. - This doesn't matter at all because they all amount to the same thing.
-somewhat difficult combat - Is this a joke? Seriously? It takes longer than it does in other games, but that doesn't make it more difficult. It just makes it annoying.
-way cooler buildings to climb (and i might add, they were somewhat a challenge. not just a straight climb upwards) - Agreed, but the leap skill kind of takes away from that.
-far better crowd reactions from things Ezio does - Haha alright alright.
-the soundtrack is AWESOME (my gf watched me play just to listen to the music hahah) - AC3's soundtrack was awesome as well.
-way more loot to loot - Again, anything related to money is pointless.

:(

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. ::cough:: Even your opinions on my opinions. But just the way you responded to everything shows how you are just looking for an argument over the internet. Take notes from jayjay on how to present your opinions in a way that isnt attacking anyone.

to clear something up, when i said somewhat difficult combat, I was just meaning that you kinda just want to avoid it instead of just trying to kill everyone because it takes a while. Im not saying that it is darksouls or anything. just not as easy as AC3

pacmanate
04-15-2013, 08:23 PM

Hahahhaha

AllThatJuice
04-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Gameplay wise, AC3 improves upon everything imo. I also think it improved a lot in terms of story in some areas.

Rugterwyper32
04-15-2013, 09:21 PM

Admittedly, that's a reason I'm already counting AC4 as more fun, Havana alone will blow Boston and New York out of the water. They have a lot to work with. The Caribbean itself could prove to be really fun, too. Now let's just hope Kingston turns out more interesting than what it's looking like.
Also, replaying older AC games, I noticed one thing that made city navigation, even in the wider streets, a lot more fun: The amount of support beams, wooden platforms that didn't even mesh with ceilings at points, scaffolding, ropes, wooden platforms being held by a rope and things like that. Playing AC3 again, I didn't see as many of those connecting areas in the cities. I couldn't have moments jumping to one of those wooden platforms above the street and make it to the other side. In an attempt to make things more realistic I feel they lost the charm of navigating around cities. Those elements alone, I feel, could make things a lot more fun to navigate.
Just using two pics of Jerusalem that I just for from assassinscreed-maps as example:

http://www.assassinscreed-maps.com/images/Flags/JerusalemRich08b.jpg

http://www.assassinscreed-maps.com/images/Flags/JerusalemRich17b.jpg

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I don't remember much in the way of wooden overhangs and scaffolding and all sorts of support beams and poles where you could just go right above a street with the buildings being connected by those

monster_rambo
04-15-2013, 09:29 PM
^the graphics still looked great. I say is one of the best AC looking games yet and it was so simplistic yet it worked. Only complain is repetitiveness and Altair's American voice but other than that, it was a solid game.

BATISTABUS
04-15-2013, 10:05 PM
But just the way you responded to everything shows how you are just looking for an argument over the internet. Take notes from jayjay on how to present your opinions in a way that isnt attacking anyone.
Do you understand what the purpose of a forum is? It's to debate opinions...so yes, you got me, I am indeed looking for an "argument". You posted all of your opinions about what AC2 did better, and I responded by saying all of those things made it worse for me. And I did agree with a couple of the points you made.

I'm not attacking you personally, I'm "attacking" your opinion. If you do not want this, it might not be a good idea to form a thread around your opinion in the first place.

Jack_Pirate
04-15-2013, 10:19 PM
Do you understand what the purpose of a forum is? It's to debate opinions...so yes, you got me, I am indeed looking for an "argument". You posted all of your opinions about what AC2 did better, and I responded by saying all of those things made it worse for me. And I did agree with a couple of the points you made.

I'm not attacking you personally, I'm "attacking" your opinion. If you do not want this, it might not be a good idea to form a thread around your opinion in the first place.

You are right.

Boom, no one saw that coming.

Dome500
04-15-2013, 11:25 PM
I have to agree with a lot of the OP arguments. Also the other points are very good.

While AC3 definitely succeeded in graphics, combat system and the time period, as well as the naval missions there are a lot of points that could have been better and also a lot ACII made better.

1. side mission (already discusses, Iīm not going into details, they were just to boring in AC3)
2. the combat abilities were there from the start on. Of course I donīt like a game to give me nothing in the beginning to use in combat but Connor was a little bit OP for me at first. (he was a teenager)
ACII introduced the abilities by letting the player learn them during the game
3. the armor and weapon system was strongly reduced
4.stealth: one of the most important features for me, stealth didnīt improve in AC3 but almost vanish completely. The system was not only very buggy (guards from the street attacking even though you are on a rooftop and out of the line of sight) but there also werenīt enough possibilities to avoid enemies
5. crowd reactions (already mentioned)

6. => this is more a personal thing. I liked Haytham more than Connor. Connor was ok, but he didnīt reveal enough of his personality for me. Although he sometimes made a joke and the homstead missions showed a little bit more of him i couldnīt identify with him. I also didnīt understand the way Connor killed the templars without questioning why he is doing it. To me it seemed more like he was more driven by his own personal emotions than by reason.He wasnīt a bad character, but I liked Altair and Ezio more (Altair was my favorite)

I donīt want to complain about anything, I just wanted to express my opinion here. Maybe it helps the devs to make a better game with ACIV or ACV. If thats the case Iīm happy.
No offense to the Connor-fans, I didnīt hate Connor, just couldnīt get the right feeling for him.

Assassin_M
04-16-2013, 12:03 AM
II also didnīt understand the way Connor killed the templars without questioning why he is doing it.
Johnson was a nice guy really, he never intended to take his people`s land by force, how dare Connor ?
It`s also not like Pitcairn was a Templar either, true it turned out Connor was wrong in killing him and he talks about that later (really does no one pay attention to the game ?)
And Hickey....well, i`m not gonna even talk about that..
Haytham and Lee were Templars, yo...nuff said

and even after all that, Connor still questioned, he regretted and was the FIRST ASSASSIN (that we know of anyway) who actually suggested a Templar-Assassin alliance...I swear, sometimes I feel like I`m the only who actually played the game..

opinions are fine when they`re based on actual facts...

Jack_Pirate
04-16-2013, 12:05 AM
Johnson was a nice guy really, he never intended to take his people`s land by force, how dare Connor ?
It`s also not like Pitcairn was a Templar either, true it turned out Connor was wrong in killing him and he talks about that later (really does no one pay attention to the game ?)
And Hickey....well, i`m not gonna even talk about that..
Haytham and Lee were Templars, yo...nuff said

and even after all that, Connor still questioned, he regretted and was the FIRST ASSASSIN (that we know of anyway) who actually suggested a Templar-Assassin alliance...I swear, sometimes I feel like I`m the only who actually played the game.

opinions are fine when they`re based on actual facts...

Who even Connor is?

Assassin_M
04-16-2013, 12:07 AM
Who even Connor is?
this guy.....

http://gyazo.com/6eb23c285e0c941200dde348078b2c0b.png?1366067256

no joke

Jack_Pirate
04-16-2013, 12:11 AM
this guy.....

no joke

I dont see him...or is that the point, since he is an assassin? oh wait NO because stealth was so under-developed in AC3 that everyone and their blind uncles could spot Connor a mile away on top of a house

silvermercy
04-16-2013, 12:12 AM
this guy.....

no joke
Oh nozz... I've been fangrling over the wrong person all this time. lol

Assassin_M
04-16-2013, 12:14 AM
I dont see him...or is that the point, since he is an assassin? oh wait NO because stealth was so under-developed in AC3 that everyone and their blind uncles could spot Connor a mile away on top of a house
Think about it...

What does this guy do ?? When does Connor become EXACTLY this guy ?? which mission ??

Oh nozz... I've been fangrling over the wrong person all this time. lol
Yeah, you`v been fangirling over a random Native American all along

Jack_Pirate
04-16-2013, 12:18 AM
Think about it...

What does this guy do ?? When does Connor become EXACTLY this guy ?? which mission ??

[/COLOR]Yeah, you`v been fangirling over a random Native American all along

I think this is the mission where Connor goes invisible and he is actually getting a BJ from the redcoat...while he is invisible

ACfan443
04-16-2013, 12:19 AM

The joke is that instead of Connor being independent and carrying out his own tasks in a non linear fashion (which is what was shown in the trailer), he instead became like the commander and assigned tasks to other people (a reference to the battle of concord mission).

Assassin_M
04-16-2013, 12:19 AM
I think this is the mission where Connor goes invisible and he is actually getting a BJ from the redcoat...while he is invisible
.................no :|

Assassin_M
04-16-2013, 12:20 AM
The joke is that instead of Connor being independent and carrying out his own tasks in a non linear fashion (which is what was shown in the trailer), he instead became like the commander and assigned tasks to other people (a reference to the battle of concord mission).
Good man...smart man

Jack_Pirate
04-16-2013, 12:20 AM
.................no :|

Im just playing with you hahaha....obviously :rolleyes:

silvermercy
04-16-2013, 12:21 AM
Yeah, you`v been fangirling over a random Native American all along
Dammit...

Jack_Pirate
04-16-2013, 12:21 AM

Smart

Megas_Doux
04-16-2013, 12:59 AM

AC3 had more "stealth" mechanics than any other AC before! Stalking Zones, hidding behind columns, that although insufficient, are a very solid step forward.

And speaking of which, I remember one assassin and his comrades yealing "VITORIA AGLI ASSASSIN" during noon in the middle of the city, very subtle and "assassinish"......

SixKeys
04-16-2013, 01:20 AM
AC3 had more "stealth" mechanics than any other AC before! Stalking Zones, hidding behind columns, that although insufficient, are a very solid step forward.

You've always been able to hide behind pillars in AC games. The only thing AC3 did was add a special animation when you're next to a wall.

Assassin_M
04-16-2013, 01:23 AM
You've always been able to hide behind pillars in AC games. The only thing AC3 did was add a special animation when you're next to a wall.
lol...the amount of pathetic posts I see...

Megas_Doux
04-16-2013, 01:27 AM

Yes and no!

See before AC3 you just stood behind pillars/walls, since AC3 you can not only hide, but also attack and maintain your "stealthiness" ......Considering that is a feature that has been present since Metal Gear solid, you can say that ACīs deveps fell a little behind in regards to that..... At least they have finally acknowledged that implementing "true" stealth mechanics is necessary......

Assassin_M
04-16-2013, 01:30 AM
Yes and no!

See before AC3 you just stood behind pillars/walls, since AC3 you can not only hide, but also attack and maintain your "stealthiness" ......Considering that is a feature that has been present since Metal Gear solid, you can say that ACīs deveps fell a little behind in regards to that..... At least they have finally acknowledged that implementing "true" stealth mechanics is necessary......
the thing with AC III is that it added a lot of good ideas...stalking zones, corner peaking, more hiding spots, improvised blending, but it wasn't used enough...or rather, the broken AI made it a pain to use...and to add insult to injury, every new stealth mechanic is automatic. go to wall corner, automatic. stalk zones, automatic crouch..Why ??

Megas_Doux
04-16-2013, 01:33 AM
the thing with AC III is that it added a lot of good ideas...stalking zones, corner peaking, more hiding spots, improvised blending, but it wasn't used enough...or rather, the broken AI made it a pain to use...and to add insult to injury, every new stealth mechanic is automatic. go to wall corner, automatic. stalk zones, automatic crouch..Why ??

Lack of time :(

AC3 has a lot of underused stuff, even one of its main cities, which happen to be a favorite of mine...I wish those mistakes can be reduced in AC IV, as bill said "we think, we hope"

Rugterwyper32
04-16-2013, 01:38 AM

AC3 has a lot of underused stuff, even of its main cities, which happen to be a favorite of mine...I wish those mistakes can be reduced in AC IV, as bill said "we think, we hope"

I think that with the engine already developed and with a team looking at AC1 and hopefully thinking about scaling back rather than adding even more, they might polish those ideas AC3 had and put them to good use. I have more hope for this than AC3 in a few ways because I know that they haven't spent half of the development time trying to get the engine right and experimenting with a few wholly new mechanics (Tree running, naval) to get them to work as well as they do.
Honestly, I can just imagine the programming hell it was the get the Frontier up and going. I'll seriously give that to the AC3 team, even though it was underused in terms of missions (thank you ToKW for adding more) they created something amazing.

Assassin_M
04-16-2013, 01:40 AM

AC3 has a lot of underused stuff, even one of its main cities, which happen to be a favorite of mine...I wish those mistakes can be reduced in AC IV, as bill said "we think, we hope"
Admittedly, the lack of time is apparent, but we can`t hang every flaw on that...there was an apparent lack in focus and direction...there was no clear vision, I`d say it would`v ruined AC III, for me, AC III was ALMOST ruined by the some of the horrendous decisions in design and mechanics, true it`s my favorite game, but the reasons it is my favorite are not the reasons I like AC I for....a game like AC is supposed to shine through its gameplay, if something else shines, then THERE`S CLEARLY something wrong

Megas_Doux
04-16-2013, 01:41 AM
I think that with the engine already developed and with a team looking at AC1 and hopefully thinking about scaling back rather than adding even more, they might polish those ideas AC3 had and put them to good use. I have more hope for this than AC3 in a few ways because I know that they haven't spent half of the development time trying to get the engine right and experimenting with a few wholly new mechanics (Tree running, naval) to get them to work as well as they do.
Honestly, I can just imagine the programming hell it was the get the Frontier up and going. I'll seriously give that to the AC3 team, even though it was underused in terms of missions (thank you ToKW for adding more) they created something amazing.

Oh yes!

AC3 is, despite its flaws, my favorite in the series.

Klagermeister
04-16-2013, 04:17 AM
Agreed, Megas. AC3 is definitely my favorite so far.
From what I've seen, AC4 will be my next new favorite.

jayjay275
04-16-2013, 04:23 PM
ACIV needs to make up for the poor side missions of ACIII.

pirate1802
04-16-2013, 04:40 PM
ACIV needs to make up for the poor side missions of ACIII.

AGreed. More specifically the assassination, courier and deliver requests. I felt other than that the side missions were preety good. Naval missions in particular were one of the main attractions of the game!

jayjay275
04-16-2013, 04:44 PM
AGreed. More specifically the assassination, courier and deliver requests. I felt other than that the side missions were preety good. Naval missions in particular were one of the main attractions of the game!

Yeah. I think the assassins in ACB were better in comparison to the "pals" in ACIII.
The side missions in ACIII like courier missions seemed really under-developed.

lothario-da-be
04-16-2013, 05:13 PM
This, it looks like all the new type of side missions were well done and the existing ones were just added to the game for the sake of adding some more icons on the map.

CalgaryJay
04-16-2013, 05:23 PM
Ya, I've gotta think the AC3 assassination & courier missions weren't meant to be that bare boned, especially comparing it to earlier AC games. They probably just ran out of time and hurriedly threw something together last minute. Hearing "You have my everlasting gratitude, sir!" got old by about the 57th time.

And for OP, ya, all the ambient soundtracks throughout the AC series have been amazing like that. Its why everyone was so shocked/mad that there wasn't any at all in AC3, mind boggling really. I recall reading an interview with the devs which was linked on this board last month, where I think they mentioned having a surprisingly tough time using elements dealing with native american culture that their advisers in this area approved of. I recall traditional music was one of these areas they were surprised to learn would be considered insulting. I truly wonder if that's why there wasn't any ambient music.