View Full Version : Extremely low FPS on a farily good System

Sonicarrow91
04-12-2013, 12:21 PM
Hello everyone!

I just purchased and started playing AC3 .. First off, my specs;

AMD Phenom II X6 1100t @4GHZ
Sapphire HD 6950 OC
8 GiGs of DDR3 1333 Ram

When i arrived in the first big city my fps were as low as 21 fps. In the city my fps hower around 24.. Allready turned off vsync and put everything to the lowest possible settings.
Is there any fix for this or any comment from ubisoft ? I had the same problems with AC2 with a phenom II 955 and a 6870, 8gig ram.. It is kinda unenjoyable :(

I play other games like skyrim etc maxed out[2k textures/Hundreds of retextures] with locked 60 fps.

Voyager456
04-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Welcome to the club my friend you cant do anything about this, game is a horrible port and it needs a huge optimization patch that will probably never be made actually im 100% sure it wont be made shame on you ubisoft.

AherasSTRG
04-12-2013, 03:05 PM
Another body for the pyre, eh?
Well, as Voyager stated, the game is very poorly optimized and it is impossible to play it properly on any configuration. Nvidia tried to righten the wrongs of the coding by releasing a patch for its Graphics Cards (and managed to achieve some slightly better frame rates), but we, AMD users, had some rough time when the game was first released. As I said above, there is no way to properly play the game without lag spikes and low frames in the majority of the map. Yet, with some tweaking, you could make the game playable. I managed to hit maintain my game between 40 to 60 frames (with major drop downs, e.g. 60 ==> 38 or 60 ==> 36 ==> 47 ==> 57 ==> 39 ==> 60 in 7 seconds (!)). The forum moderator (if he answers) is going to tell you to contact support. Do so, but do not expect them to reply to you sooner than after 3 or 4 weeks.
What I personally suggest you do is search around the technical support forums here and compare your problem to the problems of the other people.
Also, if you have the time, post your problem here (==> forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/737072-AC3-Low-FPS/ ) as well and see if anyone else with your configuration had the same problem.

guardian_titan
04-12-2013, 03:52 PM
FPS issues can come from anything whether it be hardware or software related. I had a:
Intel Core 2 Duo e8400 CPU (originally had an Intel Core 2 Duo e7200 when built)
4 GB DDR2 memory (had the system so long I forgot the speed)
Radeon HD 7770 video card (originally had a Radeon HD 3870 video card when built)
320 GB 5400 RPM hard drive
Windows 7 32-bit
I had FPS with this system but nothing that didn't make AC3 unplayable. I could run from south Boston to north Boston and only see a small slowdown (i.e. skipping a frame every half second or so) but it wasn't a slideshow. I played other games where I'd try to move and it'd take me a good minute to move 5 feet because of FPS issues. But to be fair, both of those games were MMOs so the amount of players in the area didn't help my issue. I also know one of the two games was horribly optimized. Didn't matter what settings I had my game on. It was still often a slideshow if more than 10 or so players were in the area. AC3 was no where near that bad for me. I do know my FPS issue in AC3 with this system was my CPU. My video card was a partial culprit behind the MMO fps issue, but upgrading my video card didn't really matter much. Had the 7770 video card by the time I got AC3. I built the system myself back in 2008 so it was getting up in age. The power supply fried and my main drive died so ended up building a new system.

My new system has a:
Intel i5 3570k CPU
16 GB DDR3 1600 MHz memory
Radeon HD 7770 video card (same one from my last computer)
128 GB SSD
Windows 8 64-bit
I've had no FPS issues anywhere in AC3 with this system. To be sure, I started a new game and have gotten to Sequence 11 with no issues. Slowed down on the game because I'm waiting on TOKW ep. 3.

My CPU is similar to your Phenom II and your video card is significantly better than mine yet I have no issues. So begs the question what the issue can be. Possible causes:

At first glance, maybe it could be your AMD processor since I have no issues with my Intel one. So does AC3 not play well with AMD? But others have reported issues on Intel processors so it's not Intel or AMD.

Only other difference between our systems is that I have twice your memory. So is AC3 a memory hog? I'm running on a fresh install of Windows 8 so don't really have much installed. Perhaps there's a lot of background processes running that are taking up memory and reducing your performance.

Perhaps you have a program conflicting. I once had a family tree program I loved. After some years of use, I found it deleting my information when I tabbed to another field. After some research, I found the issue linked back to my mouse drivers. Uninstalled those and my program worked fine again for a time. Eventually, the deletion on tabbing came back and I couldn't find the culprit. Had to give up on the program after that.

Perhaps it's a setting or a driver. I had another issue with Photoshop where it'd lock up from time to time while I was using the various brushes. Finally got some advice to flash my BIOS and Photoshop worked fine afterward. Wouldn't recommend doing this, though, unless you know what you're doing because it can screw up your system.

Perhaps the issue is an older hard drive or a slower hard drive. My old computer had a 5400 RPM as my main drive. Resulted in many of my programs being slower than they should have and constantly froze from time to time despite being installed on another drive. Went to the SSD and that spend things up noticeably. I have AC3 installed on a 3 TB 7200 RPM drive which was true on both system.

Maybe the issue is lack of disk space on the hard drive. Constantly shuffling data to access the limited space can result in issues.

Maybe your drive hasn't been defragmented in forever and is severely fragmented thus slowing things down.

Maybe you have hardware components that are having problems. Failing hard drive, memory, or even motherboard. I knew my old 5400 RPM drive was failing but it took months before Windows 7 started to alert of me of that fact ... and then it died shortly after.

Perhaps your power supply is too small or getting up in age. Having a higher end video card, you need a 450 watt power supply at least and then throw in extras like DVD drive, additional hard drives, etc and the power supply size goes up. Pre-built systems often come with 200-250 watt power supplies.

Maybe you have the wrong hardware component. I once had constant memory issues in two other games I play and once I started to get blue screen crashes that linked back to hardware, I went looking further. Found out I actually had the wrong memory for my motherboard. It was the same DDR2 type, but was slower than the minimum speed for the motherboard, if I remember right anyway. System ran fine outside of those two games so I was none the wiser for months. Ended up buying new memory that was correct for my motherboard and the memory issue vanished. Joys of learning what goes with what when you build your own systems. Now I'm more careful when I build my computers.

The only way to really narrow down who has issues and who doesn't is to see who has what system, compare, and figure out what the common trait is.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/737072-AC3-Low-FPS is a thread with other people with FPS issues posting. It's a lot of pages to sort through, but it helps Ubisoft more if everything is in the same place rather than scattered across several threads.

DrBlutengott
04-12-2013, 03:59 PM
Just wait for ubisoft to announce the $15 Optimization Pack DLC. -_-

Sonicarrow91
04-13-2013, 01:36 PM
I tested it further in boston and my fps are often around 32 .. But often they dip around 22-24 .. i accepted it until i got out of boston to frontier...

While looking at nothing but a bunch of trees, right when you go out of boston i have 18 - 22 fps, even further inside, can you believe that ?

Sorry but this is inexcusable, i want to enjoy my product...

AherasSTRG
04-14-2013, 10:54 AM
Post your problem here (==> http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/737072-AC3-Low-FPS ) as well.

YazX_
04-15-2013, 12:59 PM
The problem is AMD CPUs, the game is CPU intensive and unfortunately AMD CPUs suffer from very bad FPS drops. as said before, you can do nothing about it as its the game's fault, and no patch will be released to optimize the game, so whatever you do with graphics settings, it will not help you.