PDA

View Full Version : Myst IV being revealed at E3! (HEAVY SPOILERS)

Deladra
05-12-2004, 09:52 AM
Myst IV Revelation E3 2004 Preshow Impressions

The Myst series endures as one of the most beloved in gaming, with its characteristically rich, immersive, beautiful worlds, interesting characters, involved mythos, and challenging puzzles. It's also endured many changes in its development teams, and this time, it's Ubisoft Montreal who will be bringing us Myst IV Revelations. In our first look at the game, it seems as if Ubisoft Montreal is well on its way to producing an interesting and worthy successor to the Myst name.

The story of Myst IV Revelations will harken back to the very first game, Myst, and your two major antagonists in that game, the brothers Sirrus and Achenar. Fans of Myst will recall that at the end of the original game you imprisoned the corrupt brothers in the worlds of two separate books. In this game, Atrus (the father of Sirrus and Achenar) is petitioned by his wife, Catherine, to finally free their sons from their punishment. As they argue, there's an explosion in one of Atrus' labs and their 10-year-old daughter, Yeesha, disappears. Atrus appeals to you for assistance in finding her, and you will embark on a journey that will take you through four different "ages," including the worlds that you stranded Sirrus and Achenar in, in the first game. Ubisoft Montreal promises that Myst IV Revelations will at last reveal what has happened to the brothers.

The game will play much like the other titles in the series, as a first-person adventure. You will be able to move through the world and explore its many areas by simple mouse-clicks. You will be able to interact with just about anything you can reach in the game, from turning on a table lamp, to crouching by a puddle of water and touching its surface to create ripples, to using your hand to gently swat away moths from a light source. You'll pick up a number of different items in the game, and one such item that we saw was an amulet that had belonged to Yeesha. Upon picking up the item, there was a flashback sequence depicting Yeesha herself fleeing from someone or something. The developers told us that there will be numerous flashbacks of this type during the game as you uncover the mysteries surrounding the girl's disappearance. There will also be many journals scattered throughout the different worlds that will provide backstory and context to the game, and we were told that puzzle solutions won't depend on information found in these supplemental materials. Also, the game will have an available "hint" system for puzzles that you will be able to consult for up to three levels of clues to complete certain challenges.

The developers refer to Myst IV Revelations as "Myst comes to life," and the level of detail and immersion in the areas of the game that we saw would support this statement. The environments were full of the kind of rich detail that's come to be expected of Myst games, but instead of resembling static portraits, many had dynamic elements. In a jungle, bog-type world that we saw, the air was alive with dragonflies flitting to and fro and strange creatures preening themselves by the water. Another world consisted of a barren, rocky island surrounded by jutting crags that were being pounded by surf that exploded against the rocks and into the air. On the sand, crabs clustered around a dead fish, feeding themselves. (Apparently, one of the brothers was confined to this island.)

Such environments were also full of sounds, like the surf and the insects. In addition, when interacting with objects, there were a myriad of sound effects. Tapping on a table produced a heavy, wooden sound, and tapping on a glass lamp produced a light, ringing sound. While most of the cast of characters is not yet finalized, Rand Miller (one of the founders of Cyan, who developed the original Myst) will be reprising his role as Atrus.

Fans of the Myst series and adventure game fans will definitely want to keep their eyes on Myst IV Revelations, which is currently scheduled for release on the PC in September of this year.
-------------------------------------------

So, there ya go. Some of your thoughts about the little girl being Yeesha are true.

Deladra
05-12-2004, 09:52 AM
Myst IV Revelation E3 2004 Preshow Impressions

The Myst series endures as one of the most beloved in gaming, with its characteristically rich, immersive, beautiful worlds, interesting characters, involved mythos, and challenging puzzles. It's also endured many changes in its development teams, and this time, it's Ubisoft Montreal who will be bringing us Myst IV Revelations. In our first look at the game, it seems as if Ubisoft Montreal is well on its way to producing an interesting and worthy successor to the Myst name.

The story of Myst IV Revelations will harken back to the very first game, Myst, and your two major antagonists in that game, the brothers Sirrus and Achenar. Fans of Myst will recall that at the end of the original game you imprisoned the corrupt brothers in the worlds of two separate books. In this game, Atrus (the father of Sirrus and Achenar) is petitioned by his wife, Catherine, to finally free their sons from their punishment. As they argue, there's an explosion in one of Atrus' labs and their 10-year-old daughter, Yeesha, disappears. Atrus appeals to you for assistance in finding her, and you will embark on a journey that will take you through four different "ages," including the worlds that you stranded Sirrus and Achenar in, in the first game. Ubisoft Montreal promises that Myst IV Revelations will at last reveal what has happened to the brothers.

The game will play much like the other titles in the series, as a first-person adventure. You will be able to move through the world and explore its many areas by simple mouse-clicks. You will be able to interact with just about anything you can reach in the game, from turning on a table lamp, to crouching by a puddle of water and touching its surface to create ripples, to using your hand to gently swat away moths from a light source. You'll pick up a number of different items in the game, and one such item that we saw was an amulet that had belonged to Yeesha. Upon picking up the item, there was a flashback sequence depicting Yeesha herself fleeing from someone or something. The developers told us that there will be numerous flashbacks of this type during the game as you uncover the mysteries surrounding the girl's disappearance. There will also be many journals scattered throughout the different worlds that will provide backstory and context to the game, and we were told that puzzle solutions won't depend on information found in these supplemental materials. Also, the game will have an available "hint" system for puzzles that you will be able to consult for up to three levels of clues to complete certain challenges.

The developers refer to Myst IV Revelations as "Myst comes to life," and the level of detail and immersion in the areas of the game that we saw would support this statement. The environments were full of the kind of rich detail that's come to be expected of Myst games, but instead of resembling static portraits, many had dynamic elements. In a jungle, bog-type world that we saw, the air was alive with dragonflies flitting to and fro and strange creatures preening themselves by the water. Another world consisted of a barren, rocky island surrounded by jutting crags that were being pounded by surf that exploded against the rocks and into the air. On the sand, crabs clustered around a dead fish, feeding themselves. (Apparently, one of the brothers was confined to this island.)

Such environments were also full of sounds, like the surf and the insects. In addition, when interacting with objects, there were a myriad of sound effects. Tapping on a table produced a heavy, wooden sound, and tapping on a glass lamp produced a light, ringing sound. While most of the cast of characters is not yet finalized, Rand Miller (one of the founders of Cyan, who developed the original Myst) will be reprising his role as Atrus.

Fans of the Myst series and adventure game fans will definitely want to keep their eyes on Myst IV Revelations, which is currently scheduled for release on the PC in September of this year.
-------------------------------------------

So, there ya go. Some of your thoughts about the little girl being Yeesha are true.

Cierdwyn
05-12-2004, 10:45 AM
Deladra - for this update, you deserve a huge HUG! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Pat and the Revelation team ... Whoa ... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/11.gif

For everyone else ... try not to slip in my drool ... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Cierdwyn

Maxine MagicFox
05-12-2004, 11:24 AM
don't worry... I just slipped in my own... ::googles::

This E3 has got to be the BEST!! From the shocking revelation of Realistic Zelda as I watched the live video feed, to Myst 4. I'm going end up having a heart attack if this keeps up. I feel like crying T-T. Even a few of my of my fave animes' licenses were announced during E3 yesterday. ::runs around wildly and slips and falls again::

http://mcloz.zeldalegends.net/images/sig3.jpg
WebMistress of Midnight Castle's Legends of Zelda (http://mcloz.zeldalegends.net)

earthangell
05-12-2004, 03:03 PM
eeeeeYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAHOO!!!!!!!!! I'm So Excited!!!!!!!!!! thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!

----------------------------
To dance is to breathe...to breathe is to live....to live is to dance....

monsieurdavid
05-12-2004, 03:07 PM
I find two statements in this overview to be perplexing.

"While most of the cast of characters is not yet finalized, Rand Miller (one of the founders of Cyan, who developed the original Myst) will be reprising his role as Atrus."

The cast of characters "not yet finalized"? This late in the game development? I find that completely impossible to believe.

"...currently scheduled for release on the PC in September of this year"

I hope the "PC" aspect of this statement is just generic, and not literal, since the game was previously announced as cross-platform to include Macintosh. Is it possible that UbiSoft would renege on this?

maztec
05-12-2004, 11:31 PM
My understanding is the game is intended to be cross platform. Would be dumb of them to back out on that.

To me, I found this the most disappointing thing in the above: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>we were told that puzzle solutions won't depend on information found in these supplemental materials.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's one of the aspects I always enjoyed about these games. Having my reading be something more than adding a little bit of story -- have it part of the exploration.

I'm going to have to think hard on whether or not I'll actually be buying this game now that I know that the reading material is not truly a part of the game. It's like a movie with voice overs -- the plot couldn't carry itself, so we had to add some stuff to keep you interested. Except here it's -- the plot doesn't carry itself very strong so we added books that you can read to add to it, but you don't have to read them.

Blah, did I say I'm disappointed? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I suppose the game will still be ok, but it'll just be another puzzle game for me at that point.

We'll see.

---
Consider this a disclaimer, unless otherwise stated.

hogarth..
05-12-2004, 11:56 PM
Great piece, Deladra. Thanks for the report!

hogarth

Phen1
05-13-2004, 12:05 AM
Ouch! I'm excited as anyone, but I'm not entirely sure if i'm gonna like this whole new interaction thing. Having a real hand is gonna take away from the game, I think! Hmmm... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

~~PHEN~~

Pre-rendering ROCKS!!!

Pat_09
05-13-2004, 02:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I suppose the game will still be ok, but it'll just be another puzzle game for me at that point. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, well, actually, no. You see, this refers not having any SOLUTIONS in the journals (ie, you can solve all the puzzles WITHOUT having to read the journals), but they DO contain information that is CRUCIAL to really understanding the storyline. They also contain clues and hints and explanations about the justifications of puzzles. So they are NOT gratuitous by any means. However, if your purely into puzzles (not story), we're not gonna force you to go over them.

Don't know if that addresses your worries in any ways, but you should know that:

1) there are MORE journals than in any other myst game

2) all the journal content relates to characters, events and\or locations that relate DIRECTLY to the game.

Ze Pedro
05-13-2004, 04:20 AM
Hey, let's give the developing team some credit, please. It's not fair criticizing the game before it's even released.

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

They are Myst fans too, remember?

I think we should wait until we play the game to start complaining about it.

maztec
05-13-2004, 04:22 AM
Pat, thanks for the response. But that was my worry. That without the information in the books you don't understand the storyline, but people can play through the game without reading them and still solve the puzzles. It just happens that the books do create justification for the puzzles.

What really worries me is that the game mechanics, the ongoing logic, don't encourage .. perhaps, even require .. you to learn the storyline.

My fear is that many people will play the game through (often w/ a spoiler guide) and reach the end only to say "I don't get it, there wasn't much story to that. Where's the plot?" When in reality it is rich with plot and story -- but in things that you can safely ignore and still successfully finish the game.

Now I'm not saying that the player should be forced to read ALL of the journals in order to be able to complete the game. That would aggravate just as many people if not more. On the other hand, some journals, if well placed become something you're going to pick up and read in order to figure something else out. By doing that you both learn more about the storyline -- are given justification to read the other journals laying around -- and you're actually discovering things that help you proceed in the game.

One of the things I learned from Uru is that it seems a lot of people don't like some book just laying around. The uber-fans get a kick out of it (myself included). But I've read a lot of complaints where people say "I just spent 8 hours reading all of these books and they're interesting and all, but they have nothing at all to do with any of the puzzles I had to solve!"

On the other hand, some people do complain about having to read the books/journals also. Then again, some of the journals/books are quite obviously there to be read and encourage people to explore...

Just my thoughts.

Thanks for the response http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif By the way, how much MORE is MORE? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Oh and Ze Pedro -- don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining about the game itself. I'm sure it's going to be good. If nothing else it'll be some awesome eye-candy and a few good puzzles. I just know that I like feeling there's more purpose to reading the journals laying around than "in order to catch up on the story you have to read this." At that point I just beg for some more video sequences of what's in the book or voice overs. Speaking of voice overs.. Is Revelation going to sport subtitles? (PLEASE!!!) And I've always thought the ability to play a voiceover -- in the voice of the writer of the text -- for any text you're reading would be great. I know a lot of people that have a hard time reading all that text off of the screen... Then again there are also the people that have a hard time understanding what is being said to them and need subtitles.... Just my thoughts.

Maz - and cool to see there's going to be a LOT of journals

---

frontmullet
05-13-2004, 04:25 AM
The only thing I feel wierd about is the hint system...I don't know if I'll be able to resist the urge to get a hint whenever I'm stuck!!...they aren't too helpful hints are they?

Apart from that...*wipes away drool*

FrontMullet
Investigative Researcher
Institution of Advanced Exploration of Myst Worlds

maztec
05-13-2004, 04:30 AM
Oooh yah and when are we going to get to see a Demo? I'm like uber-envious of the E3 pepes!

---

Lord Hydronium
05-13-2004, 04:36 AM
maztec: Remember, even in Riven (I said the R-word! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif)only one journal (Catherine's) contained any puzzle-related info. The rest was "just" filling in the background, but it helped us understand the characters better and helped make the final decision. Myst had puzzle clues staring you right in the face in journals, and Exile had one puzzle solution per journal, and only one of them required you to actually read it through. Uru had no solutions in journals, but it did have helpful hints like the sayings for each age and the page numbers, which sound like what Pat is describing (well, not literally, but the same basic idea about how while you don't need the journals, they can certainly help).

In Myst games, there is always a choice at the end. Free Sirrus, Achenar, or open the green book? Trust Gehn and free him or don't believe him when he says he's changed? Trust Saavedro and do what he says, and later, leave him there to die or have mercy on him? The "correct" answer to all of these (Myst excepted, it seems) can be found by reading the journals. Gehn hasn't changed, and Saavedro is devious and untrustworthy, but not evil (neither of these journals were "required reading", for that matter). So I imagine that the final decision will also rely on information gleaned in journals.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>1) there are MORE journals than in any other myst game<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The question is, does Pat consider Uru to be a "Myst game"? If so, is the Hall of Kings included in this count? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

_ Paula _
05-13-2004, 05:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FrontMullet:
The only thing I feel wierd about is the hint system...I don't know if I'll be able to resist the urge to get a hint whenever I'm stuck!!...they aren't too helpful hints are they?

Apart from that...*wipes away drool*

_FrontMullet_
Investigative Researcher
Institution of Advanced Exploration of Myst Worlds
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been re-playing Myst again and noticed that it also had a hint system. Now I may be extremely thick, but none of the hints provided in Myst helped me a great deal. All they did was sort of point me in the right direction. The rest was still up to me. So hopefully the hints in Revelation won't be any more helpful that those of Myst.

Paula (Pa'lua in Cavern)

Pat_09
05-13-2004, 09:34 AM
Too many questions to post quotes of them all (I don't have much time... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif), but here's a batch of answers:

-Journals. More = more than Myst, Riven & Exile. I haven't played URU enough to know how it compares.

-In terms of encouraging players to READ the journals, you have to remember a few things:

1) Revelation is VERY story oriented, more live-action than all previous installments combined, and story reall DRIVES the adventure forward. So THAT in itself provides lots of motivation for getting all the info you can get your hands on.

2) We made the journals very interactive, you turn the pages with your mouse as you would a REAL journal (ie, the pages turn in front of you, as seen in the trailer) which people find very cool. Having FUN with the journals is another way to have people read them

and also

3) The AMULET is a very important element in the game. It allows to see flashbacks of past events (play the game to figure out HOW & WHY it does this... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/59.gif) and with it, you can actually have the journals READ to you (like a book on tape) by the people who wrote it. So again, a nice fun incentive to go through them. And they DO contain a lot of hints & info about the puzzles.

- There ARE subtitles in the game (for all live-action)

- The HELP system is optional at installation (decide to install it or not)

- The help system provides 3 levels of help. Level 1 = gentle nudge in right direction. Level 3 = solution. Very much like the fan-sites that help players without spoiloing everything, unless they DO want to be spoiled.

See you later folks,

A+ (that means "later" in french) http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/88.gif

Maxine MagicFox
05-13-2004, 09:35 AM
::thinks back to Myst 3 when she had to find the journal in order to solve the "elevator puzzle" in the observatory, and then back to original Myst for all the numerous puzzle answers - like the star maps::

&lt;_&lt; &gt;_&gt; maztec -_- I'm with you.

Atrus and the D'ni were writers with expansive journals. Not only did they just write down thoughts and feelings but they illustrated stuff and the journals often had a haphazard feel as if they just randomly opened to a journal page suddenly to quickly jot something down. ::stares at her own writers' journal:: I felt very connected with that. Plus, because of it it felt like... 'whoops, I accidentally I uncovered the secret to solving this puzzle that couldn't be found elsewhere'.

*sigh* ... ok, I'm expecting to see all the puzzle "solutions" in the game grouped together. Myst and Riven hid puzzle solutions through their writing and their world. So everything was far more randomized. Myst 3 had it all together in that stupid room of Saavedro's and there was only the elevator puzzle and Atrus' "mottos" of great importance in the journals. -_- *annoyed* ...

*Pokes Pat* I hope you guys REALLY know what you are doing. ::glares and walks away::

WebMistress of Midnight Castle's Legends of Zelda (http://mcloz.zeldalegends.net)

Ze Pedro
05-13-2004, 09:55 AM
To me, so far, Revelation sounds perfect.

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/11.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/11.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/11.gif

Pat

mszv
05-13-2004, 10:32 AM
I agree, what a great way to do a game. There's journals, if you want them, and the story is incorporated into the gameplay! As far as I can tell, you learn the story even if you don't read the journals, just by playing the game. That's really great.

I also think the incorporation of a help system is fantastic. Yes, Myst Masterpiece Edition had a help system too, but not as far as I can tell, the original release of Myst, nor did realMyst or Uru. I think a help system is a great idea. If it gets even one person to buy an adventure game (which they might not do) then it worked! I don't want this to be a game that only the avid fans buy - I want it to sell big, big time.

Also, thank you so much for including subtitles - very much appreciated.

Going off to give the Uru people (I'm a fan of Uru too, very much) a gentle nudge. Hmmm, maybe Path of the Shell will also include subtitles for the NPC (non player character) dialogues. A person can hope.

-----------------------------
Regards,
mszv - play as amarez

Put that down, you are not in a game, this is my life!

maztec
05-13-2004, 11:00 AM
Pat, oooohhhh http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I love you already. Subtitles Rock! And having the journals read to you rocks even more! *swoons*

Maxine -- not sure if I'd be that Curmudgeony about it. No reason to glare now http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Pat -- how do you pronounce A+ ?

Interesting way to provide the help system...

Good to hear that the Journals can provide purpose -- and hints/nudges/etc. That is good. Why did I ever doubt you guys. Sounds like you've managed to provide a lot of reason to read the journals, but for those that are adverse to them they can get by -- although they'll be missing out on a lot.

Awesome http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

By the way, Uru has uhmmm... roughly 56 journals or so, currently -- and is expected to grow in number with X2.

Maz

---

Maxine MagicFox
05-13-2004, 12:35 PM
^_^ Don't worry, when I glare it's just a simple "get my point" type thing.

:\ And while I am disappointed that the journals might not be the way that I want them ::shrugs:: I guess no game will ever be 100% perfect, and sometimes it does work better. So, I'm keeping an open mind - though my words might sound harsher than what I mean. -_- Geez, you people are slow to learn how MagicFox-sama works. XD I have opinions about everything and enjoy stating them, but I'm more open-minded than they sound.

JustBrett
05-13-2004, 01:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maztec:
Pat -- how do you pronounce A+ ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's a French thing for "goodbye". "Au revoir", literally meaning "until we see each other again". Sort of like an English speaker putting "TTFN" or "TTYL" at the end of a post.

*SLMW 1.0* No animals were harmed in the production of this message.

Ze Pedro
05-13-2004, 01:58 PM
I'm glad we're all happy again. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

maztec
05-13-2004, 02:18 PM
JustBrett, I understand that it's a french form of goodbye. But you actually say "Tee Tee Eff In" or "Tee Tee Why Ell" if you're just saying the abbreviations. So do they say "A Plus"? Or does it have a different pronunciation from how it's spelled.

---

Mysthints
05-13-2004, 03:35 PM
Your right, Ze Pedro. To me, so far, Revelation sounds perfect, too. I'm stunned by what I've found and heard so far. I can't wait for the release!!!

*slips in my drool, too*

Thank you, Ubi! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/11.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/11.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/11.gif

Tweek
05-13-2004, 04:16 PM
sounds nifty...if not a lil odd ^_^

Tweek

http://www.dnijazzclub.com/mwsc/bnr004.gif (http://store.ubi.com/item.jsp?item=008888682028&category=PC)

JustBrett
05-13-2004, 05:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maztec:
JustBrett, I understand that it's a french form of goodbye. But you actually say "Tee Tee Eff In" or "Tee Tee Why Ell" if you're just saying the abbreviations. So do they say "A Plus"? Or does it have a different pronunciation from how it's spelled.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ah! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/35.gif I get your meaning now. Beg pardon for misunderstanding.

Good question. And, if it IS pronounced "A Plus", how is "A Plus" pronounced in French? (What the heck is the French word for a plus sign, anyway? It's been a long time since my high-school French courses, and I haven't really used it since.)

Phen1
05-13-2004, 09:18 PM
I have a question for the Revelation Development Team:
will you be able to choose the skin tone of your hand? I know that's a silly question, and I really don't give a... but isn't it possible that some people might get offended if all they can use is a white hand? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif just a thought. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Sounds great.

~~PHEN~~

Pre-rendering ROCKS!!!

Deladra
05-13-2004, 11:26 PM
Thank you all for the kind words. Since I am a member of FilePlanet/Gamespy and Gamespot, I tend to get E3 information as fast as it comes in. When I got this early report on Myst 4, I had to come quickly to post what I had seen.

I will continue to keep folks updated as best I can, but it looks like Pat is doing a great job as well. *grins*

Have fun folks.

Pat_09
05-14-2004, 03:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>will you be able to choose the skin tone of your hand? I know that's a silly question, and I really don't give a... but isn't it possible that some people might get offended if all they can use is a white hand? just a thought. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not a silly question at all. In fact we ARE planning on doing exactly that. In fact, you can also decide on the level of transparency you want for the cursor... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif along with other things like right or left-handedness...

We want the cursor to be a representation of YOUR hand because there are a lot of things to interact with in Revelation and we want players to really feel like they can go out and TOUCH the things they see (which is why there are sound-hotspots everywhere... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif)

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/59.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/88.gif

Coronagold
05-14-2004, 04:58 AM
My hand is bright green. I can't wait!

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif j/k!

http://img36.photobucket.com/albums/v108/sargem/POTS_copy.jpg

Eat_My_Shortz
05-14-2004, 05:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>there are MORE journals than in any other myst game<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I was gonna say - are you sure? I don't think you'll get more than To D'ni. (Not that they looked very interesting, I'm sure I'll read them one day).
I read all the Myst Journals, but I didn't read the Kings of D'ni. Yawn.

Anyway I have unbelievable faith in the team but PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!
Just take out the hints system! Its distracting, tempting, and naughty! If people really want help they can get a walkthrough.
The DigitalHelp really wrecked Myst Masterpiece (not to mention a swag of new bugs).
You don't need a hint system in an adventure game. If necessary, put hints as subtle clues in the game, or in the journals integrated with the game story.
A menu that pops up and says "this is what you do" goes against the Myst philosophy of "no interface or distracting controls."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>We want the cursor to be a representation of YOUR hand<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
So URU was called that because "U are U"
Maybe you should call this game Myst IV: Urhandisurs.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: People who know binary and people who don't.

JustBrett
05-14-2004, 07:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pat_09:
We want the cursor to be a representation of YOUR hand because there are a lot of things to interact with<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interaction is good. Pixel hunting is bad. PLEASE say that the interaction doesn't require any pixel hunting! (Yeah, I know we like to hunt pixels in the screenshots, but that's different. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)

One thing I've always liked about the Myst games is that it is generally pretty obvious what you can interact with, but, even when it isn't obvious it's easy to find. Not like Syberia-type games where you have to sloooowly run the cursor back and forth across every line of pixels on the whole danged screen to find any spot(s) you need to click. BLEEECH!

salgene
05-14-2004, 08:25 AM
Heh, I guess some people don't like to read books in a video game. Me personally I love to read in a video game. specially if I think there might be some info in the books or journal that might help.

I just like playing the games and leaving reality behind for awhile. To be honest all myst games are like reading a mystrey novel. In this case you are there experiencing it first hand. reading a few book/journals to add to the story is No problem for me.

I just hope theres NO timed puzzles in this one. when playing a video game I don't like being rushed.

WinXP, AMD Athlon XP 2400+ w/512 meg , Geforce 256 DDR 32megs AGP video.

hogarth..
05-14-2004, 09:38 AM
A+ would be pronounced (roughly) "ah ploo". And, to me, translates (again roughly) as "later".

As for EMS's concerns about the hint system, it is mentioned in an earlier post that installation of the hint system will be optional.

hogarth

ximo
05-14-2004, 09:57 AM
I agree with Salgene: I don't like timed puzzles...
When someone said that Revelation included an element that was not present in the other Myst games I feared it could be "time"... Hope it isn't so: it took me more than one year to beat Riven, and some months for Exile! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/35.gif

BTW, the new trailer is amazing...

ximo
"Please avoid drinking the lake water"

Pat_09
05-14-2004, 10:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>When someone said that Revelation included an element that was not present in the other Myst games I feared it could be "time"... Hope it isn't so: it took me more than one year to <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The element I was referring to is: Myst Comes to Life. Everything moves in Revelation and sometimes, screenshots just don't do it justice. It had a depth to the images and it really furthers the immersion level. We want to make you feel like you are there like you've never felt before!

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

ximo
05-14-2004, 10:34 AM
Thank you Pat. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
From the trailer it seems you all have done a really good job in making the player feel like he's there; I'm watching it again and again and everytime it makes me shiver...

And it seems we will have a more dynamical role in the story than only taking a final decision (of course I like this aspect of Myst games, especially releasing Saavedro and getting the Releeshahn book through that shield puzzle).

ximo
"Please avoid drinking the lake water"

Naquiel
05-14-2004, 10:46 AM
Well the second trailer looked really cool, but I found something wrong with it. It didnt have that feeling like I got from the first trailer. It just felt the trailer just went to fast and didnt fit a mysterious feel. It was more like a hastened adventure.

Im happy for all the cool new pictures and things we will be talking about till the game comes out, but it just felt different from what we have seen from past movies.

Out of all the trailers i have seen, I like the Myst3 E3 trailer the most.

Cierdwyn
05-14-2004, 11:42 AM
I've seen the screensaver but ...

New trailer ... hello ... what new trailer? Someone post a link, please! Must ... see ... new ... trailer ... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/blink.gif

Cierdwyn

Naquiel
05-14-2004, 12:03 PM
The E3 trailer is on the mysterium website.

Try at www.mysterium.ch (http://www.mysterium.ch) , it is in windows media format.

Cierdwyn
05-14-2004, 12:47 PM
Naquiel, thanks so much! One thing that can always be said for these forums, everyone's so quick to respond and pass things along. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Questions for Pat :

Which age is "Haven"?

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/59.gif Just how much of that weak American brew did you drink, to make you show off just how big a Batman fan you are? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/88.gif

Cierdwyn

paxmanchris
05-14-2004, 01:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Deladra:

_The story of Myst IV Revelations will harken back to the very first game, Myst, and your two major antagonists in that game, the brothers Sirrus and Achenar. Fans of Myst will recall that at the end of the original game you imprisoned the corrupt brothers in the worlds of two separate books. In this game, Atrus (the father of Sirrus and Achenar) is petitioned by his wife, Catherine, to finally free their sons from their punishment. As they argue, there's an explosion in one of Atrus' labs and their 10-year-old daughter, Yeesha, disappears. Atrus appeals to you for assistance in finding her, and you will embark on a journey that will take you through four different "ages," including the worlds that you stranded Sirrus and Achenar in, in the first game._ Ubisoft Montreal promises that Myst IV Revelations will at last reveal what has happened to the brothers.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

is Catherine cazy http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif
free there sons! what is she thinking. does she not know that there the reason for the death of everone in the myst ages. does she not know that there the reason for most of atrus books to be destroyed. are they not the one who did bad stuff to the narainas (the people from the exile game).
what is Catherine though prosses there, "hemm.. maybe that have learned there lesson. lets release them"
if i were atrus i would not release them.

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

the game looks to be great.. and no mater what the plot im going to buy it and play it a million time.

but Catherine.. what were you thinking http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

-----------
what if i dont want to touch the page?http://www.oxygene.demon.co.uk/choccy/myst2.gif (http://www.cyan.com/)
-----------

Akky_Kitsune
05-14-2004, 02:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> is Catherine cazy Eek
free there sons! what is she thinking. does she not know that there the reason for the death of everone in the myst ages. does she not know that there the reason for most of atrus books to be destroyed. are they not the one who did bad stuff to the narainas (the people from the exile game).
what is Catherine though prosses there, "hemm.. maybe that have learned there lesson. lets release them" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well..they are "still" her sons. Do you think your mother wouldn't try to help you? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> if i were atrus i would not release them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

..they are his sons too and I think its hart for him to refuse a request from Catherine http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Everything has a good and a bad side! ^-^'''

earthangell
05-14-2004, 03:05 PM
OHMYGOSH!!!!!!!!!!!! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif THAT TRAILER WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!!! Holy Cow!!! now how am i ever going to last until September???????? Thank you MYST IV team for making this next experience the best so far!! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/11.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/11.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/11.gif

Katreena
05-14-2004, 03:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by earthangell:
OHMYGOSH!!!!!!!!!!!! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif THAT TRAILER WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!!! Holy Cow!!! now how am i ever going to last until September???????? Thank you MYST IV team for making this next experience the best so far!! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/11.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/11.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/11.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am with you earthangell! The interaction with the animals seems interesting too! I can't wait!

Kat'reena
Member of The Meeting Place Hood
Have you voted on your favorite story/journal in the D'LA Writing Contest?
http://www.dniactivities.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=123

jetuserX
05-14-2004, 04:20 PM
this is for the dev team:
Will you guys implement subtitles?.. as I am a deaf player of the myst series and i cant always understand what the actors are saying.. anything like what you guys did for exile and maybe more would be awsome

JFT117
05-14-2004, 06:39 PM
Question directed to Pat:

About what you were saying before, about the incredible liveliness of M4, and how screen shots don't do justice, were you referring to the way the screen saver looks?

I mean, when it pans around, it seems like the prerendered images are split into layers, and details like sun beams coming through the canopy of the haven swamp were behind a certain layer of things that were near your position. And when the screen saver panned, objects in the background seemed to change their percieved orientation to things that were closer to you, providing a profoundly realistic look to panning.

Plus transitions between different locations seemed to have this zoom-warp effect, which was EXTREMELY cool! I'm not sure if those were just cool stuff put in the screen saver, or thats actually how it will look while playing it. Hope you can even say the answer to that. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

That transition though just made my whole day when I first saw the screen saver

Pat_09
05-14-2004, 06:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Just how much of that weak American brew did you drink, to make you show off just how big a Batman fan you are? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I always like to drink BUD here, feels very American to me somehow, but no, I wasn't drunk, there's NO way to get drunk on Bud, is there?... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/88.gif

I was just changing from pants to shorts...

Didn't think Ka'thie would post-it like that... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

Pat_09
05-14-2004, 06:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>About what you were saying before, about the incredible liveliness of M4, and how screen shots don't do justice, were you referring to the way the screen saver looks? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, yeah, in a way. But it looks MUCH better and MUCH more nicely integrated in-game. The screensaver really does not do us justice... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Coronagold
05-14-2004, 09:10 PM
Pat, what about jetuserX's post about deaf players? Will there be subtitles for them?

Pat_09
05-14-2004, 09:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> posted Fri May 14 2004 08:10 PM
Pat, what about jetuserX's post about deaf players? Will there be subtitles for them?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, sorry, thought I answered that earlier, yes, there WILL be subtitles in the game.

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Srikandi
05-14-2004, 10:24 PM
* Sri bows to Patrick, for posting after what he's just been through... *

Don't worry about pixel hunting. NOT an issue. The Hand gives excellent and very sensitive feedback... (why do I feel like as a forum mod I should censor myself for saying that?)

Sri's Relto (http://members.cox.net/srikandi/Uru/)

rehnahvah
05-15-2004, 03:13 AM
I'm sorry if this was answered anywhere else.
So I wondered if there will be D'ni language in the game. This might be a stupid question but I just realised that I never read about it. I mean in Riven you have to understand the D'ni number system to solve puzzles. Will there be anything like that in Revelation as well?
There are many discussions whether the curser is good or not, how the animals are animated, what the sound is like,....... I hope people don't forget the elementary things...

Ze Pedro
05-15-2004, 05:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Srikandi:
Don't worry about pixel hunting. NOT an issue. The Hand gives excellent and very sensitive feedback... (why do I feel like as a forum mod I should censor myself for saying that?)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, I know. As you get closer to a hotspot the thumb and index finger start approaching each other. Then, when you're ON the hotspot you have a O.K. sign.

Am I smart of what? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

But then, with the O.K. sign on, how do you click on things? With your pinkie finger?

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/53.gif

Cierdwyn
05-15-2004, 05:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Yeah, I always like to drink BUD here, feels very American to me somehow, but no, I wasn't drunk, there's NO way to get drunk on Bud, is there?... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/88.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>First time I had a Bud beer - was waaaay before lite beers were ever even thought of - I would have sworn it was beer flavored water. I can't imagine what a "lite" one must taste like. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/blink.gif
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I was just changing from pants to shorts... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> A likely story ... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Didn't think Ka'thie would post-it like that... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Don'cha' just love friends like that? You do realize that this now gives you the opportunity to plan some fiendish revenge, don't you? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/icon_twisted.gif

The E3 trailer is amazing - I actually jumped when that critter came flying at me! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif You people have created one incredible product, and thank God! I've said it before, but I can hardly wait for September to roll around. And I only ask about Haven as YOU mentioned it in the blog - so CAN you tell us which age it is?

Cierdwyn

Boshettee
05-15-2004, 06:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Sri--Don't worry about pixel hunting. NOT an issue. The Hand gives excellent and very sensitive feedback... (why do I feel like as a forum mod I should censor myself for saying that?) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/88.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/88.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/88.gif

Pat_09
05-15-2004, 08:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Which age is "Haven"? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The one that's NOT Tomahna... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

albinogul
05-15-2004, 09:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pat_09:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Which age is "Haven"? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The one that's NOT Tomahna... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does that mean that you confirm the other one IS Tomahna? Or are you just playing tricks?

Pat_09
05-15-2004, 10:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Does that mean that you confirm the other one IS Tomahna? Or are you just playing tricks? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tricks? What do you mean, I don't play tricks? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/35.gif

Silly rabbit, tricks are for kids! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/53.gif

So to answer your question: Yes! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/59.gif

earthangell
05-15-2004, 10:28 AM
heehee, Pat, you could start a whole new thread on "cereal" puns.... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/88.gif

Lei'arra in URU

Pat_09
05-15-2004, 10:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> posted Sat May 15 2004 09:28 AM
heehee, Pat, you could start a whole new thread on "cereal" puns.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be GGrrrreeeaaattt! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/59.gif

ChaoticCoyote
05-15-2004, 10:58 AM
I must say, the trailer has everyone here impressed. I had all four women -- and my iguana -- gathered around around as the trailer played. Very cinematic, very intriguing.

From Pat's comments, can I assume that the game has a non-linear story line? Such that choices made alter the flow of the game, such that there might be some replayability?

As a technologist, writer, and gamer, I am very impressed with what's being accomplished in Myst IV. I buy these games for the stories, for the puzzles, for the thrill of uncovering the unknown. Thanks for keeping gaming interesting.

http://www.coyotegulch.com/ccuru2.png

Ahrotahn
05-15-2004, 12:02 PM
WARNING!!!!! potential SPOILERS!!!!!

Has anyone noticed the faeries in the new trailer? And I think there are inhabitants in Sirrus's Age. There is that woman with the stones int he background and there are the many spears in the skelton creature in E3 photo gallery at http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/myst4revelation/screenindex.html . Although, those could just be from his hunting. Anyone else notice anything unusual?

Ahrotahn

Boshettee
05-15-2004, 12:19 PM
http://www.1up.com/article2/0,2053,1591071,00.asp
Nice article from 1up about Revelation. Warning: Spoiler!!

Cierdwyn
05-15-2004, 03:51 PM
Pat wrote : <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The one that's NOT Tomahna... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Oh, we are quite the comedian, aren't we?! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/59.gif I'll guess from that answer, that it wasn't your department and that you really don't know. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

By the way, Pat - I saw an image of a huge wrecked ship, it was in a bunch of gamespot screenshots, pointed straight up in the air with these great animals flying around it, and it was SO realistic looking - I couldn't stop looking at it. The group of you who have worked on this game are truly remarkable, talented artists. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/11.gif For a job well done - and we haven't even gotten to play the actual game yet!

Cierdwyn

CAGrayWolf
05-15-2004, 06:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ahrotahn:
And I think there are inhabitants in Sirrus's Age.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have not seen Sirrus' Age ... so how do you know about any inhabitants? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cierdwyn: http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/59.gif I'll guess from that answer, that it wasn't your department and that you really don't know. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh he knows ... and I think you could easily figure it out as well. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif or I could tell you ... but then I would have to kill you. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Perhaps the ending has not yet been written!

http://www.dnijazzclub.com/mwsc/bnr006.gif (http://store.ubi.com/item.jsp?item=008888682028&category=PC)

Cierdwyn
05-15-2004, 07:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Oh he knows ... and I think you could easily figure it out as well. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif or I could tell you ... but then I would have to kill you. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/88.gif I believe it may be worth stating again - I'm willing to take my chances ... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/blink.gif

Actually I do have a theory on that "not Tomahna" thing. I'm not going to say - wouldn't want to make Pat's head explode - very nearly drove him to that with that whole day/night thingy - but I'm wondering now ... based on things not ever stated as so, but often speculated on and assumed to be ... hmmm ... I'll just bet I know exactly where Haven is! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Cierdwyn

Jnathus
05-16-2004, 09:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eat_My_Shortz:
PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!
Just take out the hints system! Its distracting, tempting, and naughty! If people really want help they can get a walkthrough.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't Pat 09 say: "- The HELP system is optional at installation (decide to install it or not)" . . . so you don't need to install it if you don't want to(unless I'm totally wrong and the help system isn't the hint system).

Pat_09
05-16-2004, 10:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Didn't Pat 09 say: "- The HELP system is optional at installation (decide to install it or not)" . . . so you don't need to install it if you don't want to(unless I'm totally wrong and the help system isn't the hint system). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes!!! Yes he did! Nicely spotted.

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Phen1
05-17-2004, 05:54 AM
But still, I think that was a bad idea. I also read somewhere today that the puzzles will be like Exile. They will be self-contained and (paraphrased) they would really not fit in as part of the story, they would be puzzles for the sake of puzzls in otehr words. This disappoints me. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

~~PHEN~~

Pre-rendering ROCKS!!!

Coronagold
05-17-2004, 07:44 AM
The Help system is for those with no internet access. Those who have internet access know just where to go for nudges & noogies. Mostly noogies. Purple nurples too. And wedgies. Gotta have wedgies.

JustBrett
05-17-2004, 07:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phen1:
I also read somewhere today that the puzzles will be like Exile. They will be self-contained and (paraphrased) they would really not fit in as part of the story, they would be puzzles for the sake of puzzls in otehr words.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Since Pat has stated several times that he does not like "puzzles for the sake of puzzles", then why would you believe for one second that he would do that in Revelation? Since nobody outside of Ubi or Cyan has played the game yet, then whoever wrote what you read can't possibly know what he's talking about.

Cierdwyn
05-17-2004, 09:37 AM
Coronagold wrote : <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Those who have internet access know just where to go for nudges & noogies. Mostly noogies. Purple nurples too. And wedgies. Gotta have wedgies. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/88.gif You are truly one of my favorites on this forum. You say so much, with so little and it's often very funny.

Cierdwyn

Whitch2
05-17-2004, 10:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Coronagold:
The Help system is for those with no internet access. Those who have internet access know just where to go for nudges & noogies. Mostly noogies. Purple nurples too. And wedgies. Gotta have wedgies.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROTFL.....nice to know you haven't lost your touch, Corona! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Those trailers and screenies are fantastic. Come on, September!

earthangell
05-17-2004, 10:37 AM
hey, corona.... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/10.gif did you know that purple nurples cause car accidents?

Lei'arra in URU

Mysti Sage
05-17-2004, 05:23 PM
after reading this thread, there's only one thing I have to say:

THIS GAME LOOKS AMAZING!

NICE (Numbingly Interested and Curious Explorer)

mszv
05-17-2004, 07:41 PM
Well, if even one sale for this game is made because there is a help system you can install with the game, I think that's a great thing. I for one, want this game to sell very well, and be very popular with all sorts of people, not just Myst game series avid fans, or people who play adventure games. So, if it takes a little bit more "stuff" to get more people to buy and play it, that's fine with me. I want people to buy it who were never able to solve a single puzzle in any of the other games.

As for the puzzles, I'll take any kind, but I hope they are self contained, within an age. Then again, I'm not a fan of Riven (I know, heresy for some). I love Myst, I am a fan of Uru (waiting for that next expansion pack) and I like Exile. I can't wait for Myst Revelation!

I also think that the journal feature is a great idea. In many (most?) adventure games, you have to take notes or draw pictures or take screenshots to help you solve the puzzles, and you can't do that "in game". In my opinion, that's as non immersive as you can get. Having this feature in the game - it's wonderful!

-----------------------------
Regards,
mszv - play as amarez

Put that down, you are not in a game, this is my life!