PDA

View Full Version : Developer Journal Issue #37

Vorbann
04-04-2013, 02:20 PM
Hello all,

To make a change from the previous dev diaries, this one is not about a specific part of the game. Instead, well be talking about various changes that have already been made, or soon will be.

Lets start with a change to rifts on Coop worlds.

We realized as soon as the first rifts appeared that there was a problem with how the strength of their armies was calculated: they were a lot more powerful than players could handle, so we quickly changed the calculation.

Next, we modified the strength of existing rifts to make them challengeable by players. That change was made within 24 hours.

Were still keeping an eye on rift strength, ready to intervene if necessary.

Were also going to change part of the season 4 PvP workings.

As announced in the previous dev dairy, army strength and details of the halt are now indicated in the message sent to an alliance when an attack is launched against them. This remains unchanged.

Now however, we have added an automatic espionage message about armies exiting a ruin. This message will have the same information as an espionage report for a standard halt, and will be sent to all players of the alliance being attacked. It will be useable directly from the combat calculator, just like a standard espionage report.

This will stop defenders from being obliged to spy on halts before launching attacks, thus giving them more time to react.

And to finish off, there are a few bug corrections.
The effect of the Sickness spell from the dark magic school had been mistakenly increased when we rebalanced magic recently. Its now been returned to the initial value of 0.5 damage per unit per magic point.
Vestige rewards, magic beams and recall stones have all been removed from Strategic worlds, as they cant be used there.

And thats it for this dev diary.

In the next one, well be talking about future long-term evolutions of the game.

Vorbann

gunnier
04-04-2013, 03:14 PM
Next, we modified the strength of existing rifts to make them challengeable by players. That change was made within 24 hours.

We’re still keeping an eye on rift strength, ready to intervene if necessary.

Well.... What about those 9 pages of discussion concerning riffs strength? Still nothing... You even didn't ask anyone, when you decreased DE power... On Russian servers there were not a single person, who suffered from the strength of existing riffs. But you've made them miserable by decreasing power too much... I have 8kk domination and new riffs are about 400k strong... Are you kidding me?

And that...

Welcome here - http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/760021-Decrease-is-Rift-Sizes - quite a lot information to read about gamers attitude towards new riffs strength... Please, this time do not ignore us...

TOPMO3ABP
04-04-2013, 03:19 PM
Vestige rewards, magic beams and recall stones have all been removed from Strategic worlds, as they can’t be used there.
That is interesting, so there are still vestiges that are available in the strategic worlds, but they won't have rewards and so on? Is it so or I haven't understood it correctly?
Or vestiges were completely removed from strategic worlds?
Or you meant that Vestige rewards that are magic beams and recall stones were removed?

Paulagwilliams
04-04-2013, 09:19 PM
This is VERY disappointing, Vorbann. The rifts are still crap.

One of the problems is that you calculate on the size of armies in nearby cities, not nearby players. We do not usually keep large armies in every city (or at least I don't). So despite having a reasonable dom the rifts are appearing near empty cities, and can be overcome by a sneezing gnome.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear. Does anyone know of a game with a challenge?????

Wulfgar1978
04-05-2013, 04:06 AM
I deregistered from the PVE server. After reading this last dev notes I have ZERO regrets for doing so. If they have read the forums, as I have been assured that they had, then they have simply ignored all the complaints about rifts. I SUGGEST THAT EVERYONE LEAVE THE PVE WORLDS. Perhaps that may make them wake up to themselves.

Darkangel2154
04-05-2013, 05:46 AM
Hello all,
To make a change from the previous dev diaries, this one is not about a specific part of the game. Instead, well be talking about various changes that have already been made, or soon will be.
Lets start with a change to rifts on Coop worlds.
We realized as soon as the first rifts appeared that there was a problem with how the strength of their armies was calculated: they were a lot more powerful than players could handle, so we quickly changed the calculation.
Were still keeping an eye on rift strength, ready to intervene if necessary.
Were also going to change part of the season 4 PvP workings.
As announced in the previous dev dairy, army strength and details of the halt are now indicated in the message sent to an alliance when an attack is launched against them. This remains unchanged.
Now however, we have added an automatic espionage message about armies exiting a ruin. This message will have the same information as an espionage report for a standard halt, and will be sent to all players of the alliance being attacked. It will be useable directly from the combat calculator, just like a standard espionage report.
This will stop defenders from being obliged to spy on halts before launching attacks, thus giving them more time to react.
And thats it for this dev diary.
In the next one, well be talking about future long-term evolutions of the game.
Vorbann

Vorbann,
I would love to say you and your team are doing a great job with Hommk but I can not. I know good feedback will encourage game makers to become more creative and try to please the fan base. This MMORPG has become a great let down since I started playing the first season in the first world. I really do love this game and everything it has to offer. I sure do miss the challenge that it did have back in season 1-2, since then your changes have given this game a great disgrace and great potential. I have not seen any new great things come from this game that really added to its content and enjoyability.
The coop worlds have great promise for new players and loner player. That has all been ripped from all players with the dark elves being weak like a great disease has stricken them to such a feeble state. The pve servers need a great change to work! No more forts! Stronger dark elves with magic! War God dark elves owning great temples with grand challenges for the experienced players not troops on a lvl. All of these things are great ideas but I see nothing but more forts and weak everything.
The pvp worlds have great ideas as well but to be able to spend so much money just to say you are richer then the other player is really not fun. I know it creates revenue but it destroys player base. Increase anything just not the buyable power in the game for any server. The pvp worlds need more tears less armies less ptw.
For season 4 you should have given players the ability to have tier 3 unit upgrades like in s3 teasers.
The strategic serves are perfect for 0 pay to win but to pay to play is not worth it unless you give it something like speed with less of rewards,heroes,towns. Like season 1 with speed. With a faster server the more servers end the more you can crank out with pay to play servers.
I really enjoy playing this game so please let us know what is going on and I do not mean the future long-term. I mean now in the present servers.

Thanks

Vash

Sotona_6
04-05-2013, 10:31 AM
Hello all,

Looks like you're making fun of us.

DXTed
04-05-2013, 11:35 PM
Looks like you're making fun of us.

The dev team IS NOT making fun of you guys.

When Vorbann says that they will intervene if need be, they will.

MartyAmodeo
04-06-2013, 12:24 AM
I wanted to mention... there was an in-game e-mail sent out about how rift heroes behave. It contains incorrect information!

It states that rift heroes will launch "immediately" when 10 skulls are reached for a given city. This is not how the game behaves. All rift heroes launch at the same time every day, regardless of when 10 skulls are reached.

I'd like to see the launch time when I look at the hero information in the rift, or perhaps a window of time if you want to add some uncertainty. That would be very helpful. I'd also like it if the heroes were able to launch at different times. It's really hard for most non-subscribers with a limited number of heroes to defend all of their cities at exactly the same time. If the launch times were staggered a bit, it would help a lot.

gunnier
04-06-2013, 08:58 AM
They dev team IS NOT making fun of you guys.

You are right... We can't call it even "making fun"... Because it isn't fun anymore... 9 pages of discussion in the "riffs topic" - and not a single sign of attention from devs... It's definitely not fun. It's sad...

AndreanDW
04-06-2013, 10:22 AM
Tonight I got a new rift. 10K per level. My army is more than 2000K. But all works fine - no changes needed... Have a nice weekend, DXTed and Vorbann

SandieW
04-06-2013, 12:37 PM
I'll just repeat what I said in my ticket:

Another crap rift! I have just invoked one at 280 78. It is STILL only 70k+ - 90k, only a teensy bit larger than when I started and you nerfed the 300k+ rifts. Yet in the nearest city I have an army of 350k, and in another city within 8 squares 530k. My husband's main army (532k) is also within 8 squares (Golgamesh). How on earth do you justify such a tiny rift? I think I should have this rift for free! Waste of seals!

gunnier
04-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Well... Try to find some kind of logic...

The first PvE (Russian)

http://i.imgur.com/zmBK4dL.jpg

The second PvE (Russian)

http://i.imgur.com/pVWIAUP.jpg

And you call it "not making fun of us"?!! Why do I have with 8.5kk Dom. to get such boring riffs?!

AndreanDW
04-08-2013, 03:09 PM
The dev team IS NOT making fun of you guys.

When? After one month, after 3 months, after a year? Or will it be a Xmas surprise, like the rebalance of the legendary skills?

OnkelB
04-08-2013, 04:23 PM
The Dev-Team will do nothing like balance the rifts or other things. They only interested in making money by new items in the shop or ingame-functions. No bugfixing, no new features (not really new, they was announced for Season3), no new races. In Germany we will not get an Strategic World, cause the Players dont want to hear the lies of this "Devs" for a longer time...

Sorry for my crappy English. Im out of school for a long time...

filipd81
04-09-2013, 07:42 PM
I miss the challenge of S3 rifts. I remember when it was hard and interesting. I'm not exactly bored but it's soooo easy. The main challenge now is to attack more rifts than others to gain those tiny XP rewards and all the level 1 artifacts.

I wanted to mention... there was an in-game e-mail sent out about how rift heroes behave. It contains incorrect information!

It states that rift heroes will launch "immediately" when 10 skulls are reached for a given city. This is not how the game behaves. All rift heroes launch at the same time every day, regardless of when 10 skulls are reached.

I'd like to see the launch time when I look at the hero information in the rift, or perhaps a window of time if you want to add some uncertainty. That would be very helpful. I'd also like it if the heroes were able to launch at different times. It's really hard for most non-subscribers with a limited number of heroes to defend all of their cities at exactly the same time. If the launch times were staggered a bit, it would help a lot.

The de heroes attack at the same time everyday, the same hour the rift has appeared. Keep the info message and you will know when they will attack. I don't like the idea that the heroes attack in different times of the day, it is easier for me to organise the defense once per day. I have a friend who is not a sub and has 8 towns and 7 heroes, the extra ones bought with 'earned' seals, he doesn't complain at all.

mightycleric
04-10-2013, 02:36 AM
I miss the challenge of S3 rifts. I remember when it was hard and interesting. I'm not exactly bored but it's soooo easy. The main challenge now is to attack more rifts than others to gain those tiny XP rewards and all the level 1 artifacts.

The de heroes attack at the same time everyday, the same hour the rift has appeared. Keep the info message and you will know when they will attack. I don't like the idea that the heroes attack in different times of the day, it is easier for me to organise the defense once per day. I have a friend who is not a sub and has 8 towns and 7 heroes, the extra ones bought with 'earned' seals, he doesn't complain at all.

You are missing the point when referencing your friend. Your friend has used seals to basically be a non-sub when it comes to cities/heroes (thus, mainly negating the "limited number of heroes" part). Those who aren't subs have 3-4 towns, and 4 heroes. If you consider that at least one of those is probably a non-combat mayoral hero and one was just acquired today, and not when he posted, that doesn't leave much for dealing with 5 DE heroes. Also, fewer towns mean fewer troops to recruit to cover every city. With 8 towns, he has 3 towns that are guaranteed not to be hit, if he has all 5 heroes launch at him. With 3 towns, you could have 2 heroes going to 2 towns, and 1 hero going to the 3rd town, which is much harder to deal with if you only have a couple heroes (especially if you have an attack and defender, but they don't halt).

It is still possible to deal with them, most of the time, but if multiple heroes launch on the same town (which I don't know that they can't do), that could be really problematic. This doesn't mean, however, that the rifts should get weaker, and I'm glad that the ones near me have been starting to grow a bit. There is actually one that could be a decent challenge to seal (especially since it is Ballista level 8, and I like to not lose troops). It just could be interesting to have them launch at different times, but still give you warning as to when those different times are.

filipd81
04-10-2013, 12:58 PM
You are missing the point when referencing your friend. Your friend has used seals to basically be a non-sub when it comes to cities/heroes (thus, mainly negating the "limited number of heroes" part). Those who aren't subs have 3-4 towns, and 4 heroes. If you consider that at least one of those is probably a non-combat mayoral hero and one was just acquired today, and not when he posted, that doesn't leave much for dealing with 5 DE heroes. Also, fewer towns mean fewer troops to recruit to cover every city. With 8 towns, he has 3 towns that are guaranteed not to be hit, if he has all 5 heroes launch at him. With 3 towns, you could have 2 heroes going to 2 towns, and 1 hero going to the 3rd town, which is much harder to deal with if you only have a couple heroes (especially if you have an attack and defender, but they don't halt).

It is still possible to deal with them, most of the time, but if multiple heroes launch on the same town (which I don't know that they can't do), that could be really problematic. This doesn't mean, however, that the rifts should get weaker, and I'm glad that the ones near me have been starting to grow a bit. There is actually one that could be a decent challenge to seal (especially since it is Ballista level 8, and I like to not lose troops). It just could be interesting to have them launch at different times, but still give you warning as to when those different times are.

All players gain seals and on day 45 they can have the 4th town and the 4th hero + they can buy some for seals, which means at least 5 towns and 5-6 heroes ( and don't tell me they would like to use the seals for other items, if anyone complains of pay2win then they should buy only the non-sub items). Also with less towns it easier to defend not harder, you need less movements and have less to towns to defend. Consider that as a sub I have 8 towns and they are distant 4 hours south-to-north and 4 hours west-to-east. And the example of the 5 de heroes attacking at the same time is not realistic, it means only one thing, you are farming the rift and not closing it!!! Last but not the least it is supposed that non-subs have harder life than subs, otherwise why paying the subscription?

I can only agree on one point. It is hard to defend when there are more heroes attacking the same town but this a problem for every player, doesn't matter sub or not.

AndreanDW
04-10-2013, 02:54 PM
of course it is easier for a subscriber to defend!
You have 8 towns within large distances? You can move your troops into towns that are not attacked - the F2P player probably not.
You have 8 towns and have to move 4 hours from one to the other? But you have the double army, therefore you can put the same army like the F2P player into 2 of the distant town, without moving. And you have more heroes that can attack or defend, therefore you can close the rifts within half of the time.
Playing as a subscriber is like playing 2 F2P accounts, with the possibility to combine the power of both accounts, and with easier fights because of the stronger magic guilds

filipd81
04-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Last but not the least it is supposed that non-subs have harder life than subs, otherwise why paying the subscription?

I didn't say that playing as a non-sub is easier or not harder. I just don't agree that it is TOO hard for a non-sub to defend. Also you can always escape from one town to another with absolutely no chance for the de to have a fight, they can't lay a siege so you just move your army a couple of minutes before the hit.

Actually with the current rift strength a non-sub can have a relatively smooth game play while a sub would be quite bored after he has built all the mines and towns. So who pays will have less challenges than who doesn't pay. Guys, you almost convinced me to cancel my subscription :D

mightycleric
04-10-2013, 07:40 PM
All players gain seals and on day 45 they can have the 4th town and the 4th hero + they can buy some for seals, which means at least 5 towns and 5-6 heroes ( and don't tell me they would like to use the seals for other items, if anyone complains of pay2win then they should buy only the non-sub items). Also with less towns it easier to defend not harder, you need less movements and have less to towns to defend. Consider that as a sub I have 8 towns and they are distant 4 hours south-to-north and 4 hours west-to-east. And the example of the 5 de heroes attacking at the same time is not realistic, it means only one thing, you are farming the rift and not closing it!!! Last but not the least it is supposed that non-subs have harder life than subs, otherwise why paying the subscription?

I can only agree on one point. It is hard to defend when there are more heroes attacking the same town but this a problem for every player, doesn't matter sub or not.

When Marty originally posted it, it wasn't day 45 yet, and there had been rifts for a while that were spawning. As the server progresses, it will become much easier for non-subs to deal with it, as they will have more towns/heroes than any rift will have DE heroes. As for the seal spending, the seal store is one of the biggest reasons that people are complaining about this game now. Even those who spend tons of seals complain when others outspend them or outmaneuver them, despite spending less, accusing them of buying power. As such, if a player, due to the conviction that the seal store is ruining the game, doesn't spend any seals, then that is their choice.

The game should not be comprised of scenarios that require people to spend seals to fix them. They should always be able to deal with the issues without using seals. There are enough problems in PvP because people feel that they "have to buy seals" in order to "compete" or "challenge enemy player x" anyway, and I'd rather not see that carried over into PvE. PvE is a nice escape from the idea of being unable to do anything without spending seals, and yet your solution to a problem is "throw seals at it".

Also, you continue to show that you don't really understand the game from the f2p perspective, which is fine, as you are a subscriber, and the perspectives are very different. The only problem is that you, a subscriber, continue to try to comment on the issues that non-subs are dealing with, without understanding them. Consider this scenario: 2 non-subs, a 20 level rift that is just under an hour away from either non-sub's closest city, 4 heroes each (1 mayor, that can't fight, 1 defender, 1 legacy hero that can attack or defend, and 1 hero that has been around only a day or two, thus being too low of a level to do anything). If they have an amount of dom., and launch from the cities closest to seal it, they could have accumulated 5 heroes after the first 24 hour period, meaning that they have less than 48 hours to avoid 5 heroes launching at them. seeing as there are 20 hours of night halt in there, that leaves only 28 hours to seal 20 levels of rifts with 2 heroes. That would require them to be launching almost constantly at that rift, despite the fact that they might also have other rifts to deal with, need to wait for spells to cooldown, etc.

That scenario doesn't include any instance of them "farming the rift", but just a situation that could easily occur for 2 players. It doesn't mean it is impossible, and indeed, it does present a nice challenge sometimes, but it might be nice for the DE heroes to launch at different points (maybe 5-15 minutes after a new hero arrives, it launches, and then continues to launch at that time every day from then on). As for your difficult scenario of being spread out 4 hours, there is nobody to blame for that other than yourself. you chose to settle those spots and spread yourself out, so if you can't get reinforcements in time, that is something you could have controlled, but chose not to for whatever reason.

I didn't say that playing as a non-sub is easier or not harder. I just don't agree that it is TOO hard for a non-sub to defend. Also you can always escape from one town to another with absolutely no chance for the de to have a fight, they can't lay a siege so you just move your army a couple of minutes before the hit.

Actually with the current rift strength a non-sub can have a relatively smooth game play while a sub would be quite bored after he has built all the mines and towns. So who pays will have less challenges than who doesn't pay. Guys, you almost convinced me to cancel my subscription :D

Actually, while you have also stated that it should be harder for non-subs, you did say exactly that, at least when it comes to defending:

Also with less towns it easier to defend not harder, you need less movements and have less to towns to defend..

Marty, however, didn't say it was "TOO" hard, but just that it was a bit difficult, and that spacing out attacks would make things easier. Since you also stated that it is difficult for subs to do this, then I think that makes it an even better idea. I wasn't even discussing escape, though, but defending, so as not to lose unit or resource production. Since the DE attacks are based on the average of your cities, then if you have the same average dom. in 8 cities as another player does in 4, that means you have twice as many actual troops, so when attacks are sent against you, you have a much better chance of successfully defending your cities (or attacking their halts), especially since you can use more heroes to do so.

MartyAmodeo
04-10-2013, 07:57 PM

You've missed the point. The hero limitation makes it really difficult, especially with simultaneous launch times. It's not impossible, and I personally have no problems, but then again, I'm ranked 56 in dom on the world in spite of being a non-sub. Non-sub towns are just as far apart as subscriber towns, possibly moreso depending on whether or not mine conversions are used. If you're using heroes to move troops, they're not upgrading mines, they're not boosting your income, they're not boosting your troop production, and they're not available for defense until they arrive. If they were already involved in a long project, you're just plain out of luck. Some improves and construction projects can be 2 days or more, which is ample time for a rift to spring into existence and launch on you. If you get 5 simultaneous launches against 3 cities, and the rift spawned right in your backyard, at least one of them is going to hit a city which is not properly defended. Not so for a subscriber with a dozen heroes.

If the launch times were staggered a bit, this would be much more manageable for non-subscribers (and subscribers alike). Keep in mind that a lot of players see PVE as a training ground for PVP, and pummeling inexperienced players with simultaneous attacks that overwhelm them doesn't help them learn anything and it turns them off rather quickly I'd think.

gunnier
04-10-2013, 10:14 PM

Vorbann

Have you lost the source code of the game? So why is it so difficult to tell the truth - "we have no intention to make any changes, we just want money"... Where is your modification?! We have several players with 6-9kk Dom. and the riffs are still approx. 400k in strength!!! If you aren't going to do smth. just bring back our seals... and money spent on subscription... Circus game...

There was Season 3, afterwards - PvE-tests... Everything was OK.. And now you've decided to decrease everything to almost zero... Have you some kind of explanation to your actions?

filipd81
04-10-2013, 10:52 PM
I continue to read I have missed the point, I have not missed the point! You are too much convinced I don't know what I'm talking about. I have been a non-sub too :)

When I say that it is easier to defend with less towns I don't say that it is easier to defend with less heroes, otherwise I would be dumb. If having 8 towns and 8 heroes is comparable to playing 2 non-sub kingdoms of 4 towns and 4 heroes then you will also need twice more movements to organise your forces and if you didn't change the mines (I suggest never to do this - it takes a strategic element out of the game) you will have your towns distant. Your logistics will suffer the same way as having only 4 towns. That's the reason why my other statement that non-subs have a harder life can also be true at the same time, I didn't say less towns and heroes I said only less towns. As a sub if I play with only 4 towns but still 8 heroes it will be easier for me to defend from the point of view of having less stuff to handle with. I will say smth more. My 2nd hero is a protector with architect, builder and summoning classes, so while he is very effective in building he is also extremely good in defending my towns. All you heroes can be fighters and builders at the same time, it is only a matter of combining the right skills.

Now about the seals. First of all I would like to remind everyone reading that the seals were adverised as an alternative to subscription. When I suggest to spend seals and buy an extra town and a couple more heroes I don't feel like I'm saying something unethical or wrong, I'm not talking about pay2win. So yes, imo it is a solution. And yes of course I recommend it. Moreover in my alliance almost any non-sub is doing this way. As a sub I spend my free seals on other stuff, not in pvp, not anymore, and of course it is my choice.

My initial statement was: I prefer to defend exaclty once per day in a single hour than being constrained to defend for 2-3 hours because the de heroes will start in differnt times. It is my PERSONAL view and I don't want to force anyone to agree with me the same way I don't like you to convince me at all costs in the contrary. I just cited another player who also has no problems and you said he is playing almost as a sub. Ok, then just as a more approriate example showing that this is not simply a non-sub problem but more a preference I can cite another player with high domination with 3 towns and I don't know how many heroes (since the clan sites have been disabled) who is farming 2 rifts (only last level uncleared) with double the strength of my rifs and 5 heroes each. As long as he is doing this for 2 weeks now I suppose that the simultaneous attacking heroes are no a problem.

All in all this little discussion is a marginal one. The real problem is the rifts strength. UBI, FIX THE STRENGTH OF THE RIFTS PLEASE!!!

AndreanDW
04-10-2013, 11:23 PM
your are right, of course.
I would prefer to defend against 5 rift heroes at the same time compared to defend against them every 2 hours. But it would be even better if I could defend against them with maybe 2 minutes time difference - in this case I could change the spells between 2 attacks, or the hero holding my troops ... ^^

mightycleric
04-11-2013, 12:00 AM
When you said it is easier to defend with fewer towns, it was in the context of non-sub vs. sub. Again, though, the only reason it is harder is because of how spread out you are. If you had all 8 in fairly close proximity (which you can do without transmuting, if you settle for "pretty good" mine composition/setup instead of "ideal" mine composition/setup), then it would be easier with 8 instead of 4. If you had 4 towns that were that spread out, it would be harder than having 8 in that range. Even when it comes to just the number of towns, more towns are easier to defend than fewer, because they produce more troops that can be combined to more easily defeat the DE armies.

Concerning your second hero, while you can do that, because you have more heroes, it is easier, as a non-sub, to designate one mayor hero, so the others can be better at combat. You may have a few that are decent at both city skills and combat, to use as back-ups, but since I don't have as many heroes, I want as many top condition fighters as possible, so I relegate one to being a mayor.

As for the seals issue, I do understand that they can be a substitute for a subscription, but that doesn't mean that things should require seals to be spent in order to overcome the game settings. The game settings should be beatable without spending seals or getting a sub (though both of those will obviously make it easier). Overall, is this the case? Yes, most definitely. The main place where it wouldn't be is if multiple rift heroes all attack the same player at the same time. Allowing a slight variance in when they attack would help. As it is, for subs, the only time they'd be dealing with 5 heroes is if they were farming them for xp, at which point in time they are incurring more risk by keeping it open when different heroes attack at different times. For non-subs, they might be dealing with 5 because it wasn't possible to seal the rifts, so spreading it out could help them out a bit (especially if each hero listed a time range when they would launch).

A suggestion that might please everybody is that the hero launches within a window of when he spawns. That way, if players are letting a rift go to earn xp, the spawns are probably happening when it recalculates for launch time, meaning they would launch at the same time. For others, they would just incur more heroes when they were launching attacks on the rift to seal it. This can have the added bonus of meaning that if a player was able to launch at the rift during that time, you might be able to assume that they are able to be active during that time period, and thus it won't be a bad time for the rift to launch.

MartyAmodeo
04-11-2013, 08:20 AM
I continue to read I have missed the point, I have not missed the point! You are too much convinced I don't know what I'm talking about. I have been a non-sub too :)

I'm convinced that you haven't tried what you're talking about.

A non-subscriber has access to only 2 worlds at a time. That means only 2 worlds can be farmed at a time for free seals, or one world for farming and another for playing. And only same-region worlds are available to non-subscribers. That limit farming ability drastically too. How long will it take to acquire enough seals to unlock enough heroes and cities? Hero unlocks are 163 seals each, and city unlocks are 287 seals each. Anybody can afford one, but even two of each starts to become a stretch if you can only be on 2 worlds at a time (and perhaps you actually want to PLAY one instead of farming it...).

Both of these "unlocks" only grant early access to the next limit. You start with a limit of 3. You use an "unlock" and get a 4th immediately. Now 45 days pass and your free slot timer is up. But your limit is still 4, and the timer starts over. So there's actually significantly less value in the unlocks than there appears to be on the surface. Couple this with the fact that these unlocks only apply to a single world and it becomes very clear that they are not a viable alternative to a subscription.

Also, to be a successful non-subscriber, preservation of your troops is absolutely critical. You will have fewer cities producing troops than anyone around you, fewer heroes that boost troop production, fewer artifacts that do the same, and fewer resources to purchase troops. When you take even small losses as a non-subscriber, your rate of recovery is very low, even if you're well-developed. So if you have 3 heroes hit a given city at precisely the same time, where you don't have time to reorganize your troops or set your spells, you're going to take some losses, and you're going to have a hard time recovering from them. As a player with few cities, the odds of multiple attacks being directed at the same city are actually quite high. If you run away, you forfeit 1/3 of your income for 24 hours, or worse yet, you forfeit resources AND some of your potential recruits abandon your dwellings. That's devastating if you only have 3 or 4 cities.

None of your "solutions" for non-subscribers really deal with those issues.

As far as not wanting to log in over a known and announced period of time to defend against fully disclosed attacks, all I can say is... "Have you ever played PVP?" If you can play PVP, then why would a scheduled attack of various announced times be a problem for you? I'm afraid I don't see your point there. It would eliminate an ugly issue for a lot of players and still affects your lifestyle a lot less than real PVP does.

filipd81
04-11-2013, 09:08 AM
I think that FEW MINUTES of difference makes more sense for me. Although this will not solve the problem of the lack of heroes. I think that generally it would be better for non-subs to have 4 or 5 heroes initial limit but how hard the game should be if you don't pay the subscription is a problem of Ubisoft. Naturally they want you to suffer a bit so you would like to pay :)
Some people choose to subscribe to be free of constraints, a gain for Ubi. Others stop playing the game because they are bored to death with 3 heroes 2 of whom constantly busy in upgrading mines, so essentially because of less game engagement and less amusement, in this case a loss for Ubi. I have always thought that the main reason a player subsribes is to be more competitive, and this depends more on the number of towns and less on the number of heroes, at least for pvp. Imo increasing the limit on initial hereoes is a better solution than spending seals but at the moment that's the only way you can improve your game if you don't pay the subscription.

As far as not wanting to log in over a known and announced period of time to defend against fully disclosed attacks, all I can say is... "Have you ever played PVP?" If you can play PVP, then why would a scheduled attack of various announced times be a problem for you? I'm afraid I don't see your point there. It would eliminate an ugly issue for a lot of players and still affects your lifestyle a lot less than real PVP does.

Of course I play(ed) PVP, that's the reason why I want to spend less time on PVE :)

If you run away, you forfeit 1/3 of your income for 24 hours, or worse yet, you forfeit resources AND some of your potential recruits abandon your dwellings.

There is a trick you can use here to avoid loses among the potential recruits. I have used it many times so I know it works. Just start recruiting all your troops 1 minute before your town is attacked and after the attack cancel the action.

gunnier
04-12-2013, 09:59 PM
Vorban, there are no visible changes in PvE... The riffs are still no match to the players strength! You gave the promise to fix it. I'll remind:

Vorbann

Concerning "we modified the strength of existing rifts to make them challengeable by players" - that was a lie... You did nothing... Maybe it's about time to do it...

gunnier
04-13-2013, 07:48 AM
Check this out...

http://i.imgur.com/Ogq84qq.jpg

And now let's see gow strong it is...

http://i.imgur.com/kOkyGjw.jpg

Yeah!! That's the real challenge!! Thanks for the brilliant PvE...

MartyAmodeo
04-13-2013, 08:23 AM
There is a trick you can use here to avoid loses among the potential recruits. I have used it many times so I know it works. Just start recruiting all your troops 1 minute before your town is attacked and after the attack cancel the action.

This sounds like something we should open a ticket about rather than recommend as a "strategy".

AndreanDW
04-13-2013, 09:41 AM
of course this only works if you have enough money within the town...
and it is like the strategy to avoid losses when someone is pillaging your store houses - put the resources temporarely into the auction

filipd81
04-13-2013, 09:06 PM
Well, it's not possible to patch everything. There will be always some tricks to avoid the rules. Personally I have found at least a dozen. Here are some of them:
- you can delete towns without using the seal item and without its nasty restrictrions
- you can avoid heavy loses when you are attacked in town by a stronger army but you don't want to move away your army
- you can send many attacks in 1 second making it impossible for the defender to change spells
- you can change artifacts while your hero is moving and get different bonuses accorinding to a last minute spy report
- you can boost the conjure phoenix spell by casting it later in the combat
- you can grab the damn 8 seal with a 3 minute blitz registration
- you can shorten your halts with the help of a neutral player
- you can use the market balance to push with resources without getting banned for this
- you can push an entire alliance with multiaccounts without ever doing anything forbidden by the code of conduct
- you can spy an enemy town to prevent them moving it
- you can store gold in the AH for long night time excursions when there is big maintenance
- you can invoke a rift without using seals
- you can see all RF levels mode even when the levels are not yet beaten

And just to remind about some that have been corrected:
- pillage the same mine many times alternating with attacks and getting always the resources for 24h
. equip more than one artifact in the same slot
- cast more spells in a single battle when attacked in town (absolutely not pleased how ubi dealed with this issue)

The list is long. Just enjoy. But don't wait much because very soon - for the beginning of S9 - they will be corrected.

MartyAmodeo
04-14-2013, 05:58 AM
Well, it's not possible to patch everything. There will be always some tricks to avoid the rules. Personally I have found at least a dozen. Here are some of them:
- you can delete towns without using the seal item and without its nasty restrictrions
Using a secondary account who sieges and unregisters. Unethical and against code of conduct.

- you can avoid heavy loses when you are attacked in town by a stronger army but you don't want to move away your army
Yeah... they need to fix this one. But sieging the town can solve the issue, since region squares can't be attacked during a siege.

- you can send many attacks in 1 second making it impossible for the defender to change spells
Sound strategy, nothing wrong here IMO.

- you can change artifacts while your hero is moving and get different bonuses accorinding to a last minute spy report
They should fix this probably, but it's actually not an unreasonable thing for a "real" hero to be able to do.

- you can boost the conjure phoenix spell by casting it later in the combat
I thought we debunked this one already. The effect that was observed was due to an artifact that boosted the spell against a certain enemy type. Nothing to do with the enemy's army size increasing due to summons or buffs. I've certainly never observed the effect and Jactari has always calculated it correctly for me, even though it doesn't account for such "growth" (I checked the code)..

- you can grab the damn 8 seal with a 3 minute blitz registration
Yeah, but really how much of a problem is this? 8 seals doesn't go very far and we already did the math in the old forums in terms of dollars per hour. Not worth anyone's time.

- you can shorten your halts with the help of a neutral player
Unethical and against the code of conduct.

- you can use the market balance to push with resources without getting banned for this
Push triangles are unethical, but difficult to prove.

- you can push an entire alliance with multiaccounts without ever doing anything forbidden by the code of conduct
Usually pretty obvious and lame.

- you can spy an enemy town to prevent them moving it
If a player is so weak that they need to relocate, then they really shouldn't be spending the seals in that world anyway. You're doing them a favor.

- you can store gold in the AH for long night time excursions when there is big maintenance
Bannable offense if I'm not mistaken.

- you can invoke a rift without using seals
Jockeying around alliance membership and making 1-man alliances. Takes 24 hours to add/drop the member anyway, and I don't see much point with the current respawn rate.

- you can see all RF levels mode even when the levels are not yet beaten
This one I'm not sure how to do, but I never much cared about RFs.

filipd81
04-14-2013, 06:51 AM

Yeah... they need to fix this one. But sieging the town can solve the issue, since region squares can't be attacked during a siege.

Lol, I forget this one. I thought about splitting the army in more heroes.

Sound strategy, nothing wrong here IMO.

Maybe, but I bet this was not the way it is intended to work. Moreover the final effect is less battles because the defender runs away (not grail attack of course)

Some are unethical, some are bannable, some are difficult, some may not be that worth, maybe some make even sense in terms of strategy. The point is that you CAN do it and be unpunished. Especially the pushing issues, if you are smart it can never be proven you are doing smth wrong. Personally I can tell you how to do each of these and not arouse suspicion. They exist because there are game problems still not solved. For example, the spell queue is still missing, and we asked many times about it. It is like the rift size, 9 pages of complaints and ... NOTHING!

MartyAmodeo
04-14-2013, 07:18 AM
Maybe, but I bet this was not the way it is intended to work. Moreover the final effect is less battles because the defender runs away (not grail attack of course)

It's one of the big weapons a small alliance can use against a bully, and the run-away effect is usually what is desired. I certainly wouldn't want my siege army to get implode-bombed 3 times and then have a real force arrive a second after. I'd just leave.

aixkalur
04-14-2013, 10:20 AM
I think ubi should consider some more additions for S4 PvP endgame tournament, as there is still time to set them up. What i mean is that if it is not possible to attack/defend grail with legendary heroes. There must allso be set rule, that legendary hero may not be able to attack halt what is going to attack grail city, as otherwise it has allmost same effect than defender have legendary hero on defence. Not sure if such rule is allready in place or not, but it should. And i only write it down at the moment because i hope if that is not allready part of tournament that will be put on place before it begins.

Allso one funny thing from history:
In old Heroes of Might and Magic games had built in feature that if you used so called "codes" your name allso had "cheater" not in ranks table. So mabye should put it here too, if player uses too many seals per world or specific items :-P

AndreanDW
04-14-2013, 12:53 PM
Bannable offense if I'm not mistaken.
Bannable? But on the other side the developer wrote that the maintenance during night should be removed - if they did this it wouldn't be necessary to store gold in the AH; alternative way to make big grail attacks and don't use the AH -> don't go sleeping this night and send caravans each hour - wtf ?!

filipdraganov
04-14-2013, 04:21 PM
Exactly! Many of these glitches wouldn't exist or wouldn't make sense if only UBI takes the right decisions, most of the times already suggested by the players.

There is one more trick. There is a way to ignore (or almost ignore) the high maintenance. Once you receive the message that your income has become negative there will be a check each 60 minutes from that precise moment on. This is the key point because you know exactly when the check will be done. If you gold is 0 you lose part of your troops. But you can sell some resources just 1-2 minutes before this moment. The system remembers negative values for few minutes so you have to sell a bit more than what you will lose in these 1-2 minutes.

Just to add to the long list :p

mightycleric
04-15-2013, 09:56 PM
Bannable? But on the other side the developer wrote that the maintenance during night should be removed - if they did this it wouldn't be necessary to store gold in the AH; alternative way to make big grail attacks and don't use the AH -> don't go sleeping this night and send caravans each hour - wtf ?!

That's supposed to be part of the strategy/teamwork aspect of it. You shouldn't launch an army that you don't have the means to support (or that your alliance doesn't). You also don't have to be up each hour to send caravans, since the caravan system has it built in to be able to delay caravans for different lengths of time. For subscribers, especially, this shouldn't be too big of a problem since they can send 10 caravans. If an alliance can't help support an army going on a grail run for that long, perhaps they shouldn't be sending as big of an army, or shouldn't be trying to steal the grail at all. I'm glad they didn't stop maint. during night halt, as it makes decisions made with an army carry more weight to them, instead of allowing somebody to settle a border town just before night halt with a huge army, then build it up a bit overnight, improve mines, and ship in plenty of resources by morning without losing any gold.

I know that it is frustrating that Ubisoft has not implemented some of the things that they promised (like the new spells for S3?), but that doesn't justify breaking the rules, even if you can get away with it. They are the rules, and need to be obeyed, and even if you think others are cheating, that doesn't make it okay for you to cheat. If the top players spent more time helping Ubisoft to catch those who are cheating, instead of finding more ways around the rules and bragging about them afterward because they haven't been caught, it would make the gameplay better for everybody. (It would also make it better if it didn't seem sometimes that the amount of seals a person buys relate to how severely they get punished for breaking the rules.)

Wulfgar1978
04-17-2013, 05:48 AM
That's supposed to be part of the strategy/teamwork aspect of it. You shouldn't launch an army that you don't have the means to support (or that your alliance doesn't). You also don't have to be up each hour to send caravans, since the caravan system has it built in to be able to delay caravans for different lengths of time. For subscribers, especially, this shouldn't be too big of a problem since they can send 10 caravans. If an alliance can't help support an army going on a grail run for that long, perhaps they shouldn't be sending as big of an army, or shouldn't be trying to steal the grail at all. I'm glad they didn't stop maint. during night halt, as it makes decisions made with an army carry more weight to them, instead of allowing somebody to settle a border town just before night halt with a huge army, then build it up a bit overnight, improve mines, and ship in plenty of resources by morning without losing any gold.

I know that it is frustrating that Ubisoft has not implemented some of the things that they promised (like the new spells for S3?), but that doesn't justify breaking the rules, even if you can get away with it. They are the rules, and need to be obeyed, and even if you think others are cheating, that doesn't make it okay for you to cheat. If the top players spent more time helping Ubisoft to catch those who are cheating, instead of finding more ways around the rules and bragging about them afterward because they haven't been caught, it would make the gameplay better for everybody. (It would also make it better if it didn't seem sometimes that the amount of seals a person buys relate to how severely they get punished for breaking the rules.)

It is actually not bannable to store resources in the AH once end game has been triggered. I once reported this to DXTed about a player doing just that with proof and he told me that there is nothing wrong with it. Pretty much you can do anything you want with the AH once end game has been triggered.

MartyAmodeo
04-17-2013, 11:34 PM
It is actually not bannable to store resources in the AH once end game has been triggered. I once reported this to DXTed about a player doing just that with proof and he told me that there is nothing wrong with it. Pretty much you can do anything you want with the AH once end game has been triggered.

Don't think you're right about that. It's not bannable to push supplies once the endgame is underway, but using the auction house as an infinite storehouse or caravan is still against the code of conduct I believe. Maybe DXTed or someone can clarify.

Wulfgar1978
04-18-2013, 09:12 AM
Don't think you're right about that. It's not bannable to push supplies once the endgame is underway, but using the auction house as an infinite storehouse or caravan is still against the code of conduct I believe. Maybe DXTed or someone can clarify.

It was DXTed I reported the player too and he said that it was legal. I noticed a player doing it as he was going on grail runs so I reported it.

mightycleric
04-19-2013, 07:21 PM
It was DXTed I reported the player too and he said that it was legal. I noticed a player doing it as he was going on grail runs so I reported it.

This is a change, then, because they initially stated the rule in response to people using the AH as a bank with grail runs. I've reported it before and been told that they will stop it. It is still listed as one of the biggest bannable offenses on the old forums, without exception for grail runs.