PDA

View Full Version : Deck building logic

Dayr_Kintar
03-30-2013, 04:16 AM
You know, now, if we use card in one deck, we can't use this in another. And while it seems realistic, like in real life we can't do such things, i'm pretty sure that it should be possible. Because for this game, where you can't run 2 decks in one battle, it is really really annoying that while switching between decks, you should drag some neutral cards from one deck to another, also some spells, some fortunes, some events.. I'm sure, once we have card, it should be possible to place it in all our decks, and appear in a deck you're playing. (Except heroes, may be)

epicafricantoad
03-30-2013, 09:17 AM
Everyone hates that. But thats the way it is atm.
cheers
Toad

piotr9k
06-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Keeping it realistic is one thing (I'm sure we all would enjoy the ability to use the only 4 paos we have in every single deck) but the other thing is - the game simply needs to provide a revenue for Ubisoft. This is just one of the ways to ensure that it does and there's little you can do about it.

razcrux
06-06-2013, 03:54 PM
This doesn't provide revenue, it's just annoying that's all. More decks that I can play = more interesting game and I will get tired of it less quickly, which means I will stick around more and I'm more likely to keep spending money if I have a fun and diverse play experience.

I've spent $90 on this game, which is a lot for an iPad game, but there is no way I can justify keeping more than 4 copies of any card JUST so that I can make a second deck. Instead I have to constantly pull neutrals out from one deck into another, and effectively this means it is just not even practical to have more than 2 decks running.

It also means it is very hard for me to even test and try different strategies, like a weenie rush vs. a late game build because those re-use the exact same faction cards and it is very painful to destroy the entire deck to try another build right now. Again, this just makes the game annoying, and makes me, the player, less able to try new things, which in turn makes the game more boring - faster.

So if the only reason you can't reuse cards is because this way you might buy more than four cards this is seriously the wrong kind of marketing. I don't want to be charged for going to the bathroom and then for sitting on a chair and for every time I want to talk. Paying for a game shouldn't mean I am frustrated and annoyed all the time, I should have a smooth and very enjoyable experience, this is what will make me stay, promote the game, and be engaged.

Positive experience breeds positive revenues. Positive experience = long term thinking. Taxing you and making you suffer = short term thinking.

bookmunkie
07-01-2013, 09:17 PM
And while it seems realistic, like in real life we can't do such things, i'm pretty sure that it should be possible.

Actually that makes it quite unrealistic. In Magic: The Gathering if somebody wants to put their single copy of Black Lotus in every deck they make they can. If I want to make two decks that are identical except for the Planeswalker I can do that without having to buy duplicates of every card. I only need to own 61 cards, not 120. Where deckbuilding in a digital game should be a lot easier and less restricted than with the physical counterpart the makers of this game have created artificial limitations.

This is my biggest frustration with this game.

Pulpeiro
07-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Actually that makes it quite unrealistic. In Magic: The Gathering if somebody wants to put their single copy of Black Lotus in every deck they make they can. If I want to make two decks that are identical except for the Planeswalker I can do that without having to buy duplicates of every card. I only need to own 61 cards, not 120. Where deckbuilding in a digital game should be a lot easier and less restricted than with the physical counterpart the makers of this game have created artificial limitations.

This is my biggest frustration with this game.

+1

One more time this topic.
I'm getting bored of this game for that, creating decks that I must edit in MMDOC.net to remember the cards. I played for a lot of months and get new cards and copies is something harder and harder to do...
I understand it is for money, and I respect it, but why not unlock by achievement or something a deck builder with saves?

Taish0
07-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Actually I have seen a post of someone from Ubi saying that they want to give the possibility of using the same cards for different decks in the near future! I was really surprised by this, thinking they would want to keep it the way it is atm for more gain.

bookmunkie
07-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Actually I have seen a post of someone from Ubi saying that they want to give the possibility of using the same cards for different decks in the near future! I was really surprised by this, thinking they would want to keep it the way it is atm for more gain.

That's very good news. I hope it's true.

Morkje
07-11-2013, 06:17 PM

I think they finaly realise they don't actually gain more money now because people try to get cards 8 times.

And for the magic comparison: I can use proxies in Magic. I simply write on a piece of paper what card it represents and play with it wile testing.

Atisdai
07-11-2013, 08:29 PM
From what I remember, they said they "considered it", not that they would do it.
But then, that's something they said half a year ago already.

l4ssewt
09-04-2013, 07:17 PM
I concur with this thread. Make it happen Ubisoft!

Soph93ita
09-13-2013, 03:27 PM
i am quite sure that in magic the gathering tournament you can play with a card in your deck even if it's not in your deck, you just write on it that is a token for your black lotus. if the judge asks you have to show you actually own one, but you just keep it safely in your backpack or in another deck.

this is a design flaw of the game.
don't try to justify it by saying " but they have to gain more money some way".

it doesn't even try to make sense, everyone has this pointless limitation and no one is going to buy a box of the basic set with real money because he wants to have 8 copies of Pao deathseeker.

when you are discussing a video game and you find yourself using " but they do have to gain money someway!" or " but that way it will feel more realistic" or even better " but i find it fun!" then you are probably just going to say something that doesn't make much sense or provide a very poor argument.

it's a game flaw in a very good game,a really little but annoying flaw that we all hope is going to be fixed.

thinkill
10-23-2013, 10:22 PM
I was building my second deck when I relized I couldn't use cards which were in use in first deck. It was a big WTF!! I hope Ubisoft change this or maybe I will leave this game when Heartstone is free.

chinesepeddler
11-10-2013, 05:44 AM
well keep this thread popular and someone will bound to notice right?

Falkinator2000
11-14-2013, 03:17 PM
I actually appreciate this limitation.
It forces me to delete old decks that I don't use anymore, thereby keeping my list of decks manageable.

I understand that people with more organizational skills than me would prefer having 100 decks on their account, all named appropiately and slightly differently tuned to fit with different meta-games.

But for me it's perfect this way.

dani_trusca
11-15-2013, 03:39 AM
I couldn't agree more with the original post. I HATE this limitation.

Blitz556
11-15-2013, 08:55 AM
i am quite sure that in magic the gathering tournament you can play with a card in your deck even if it's not in your deck, you just write on it that is a token for your black lotus. if the judge asks you have to show you actually own one, but you just keep it safely in your backpack or in another deck.

this is a design flaw of the game.
don't try to justify it by saying " but they have to gain more money some way".

it doesn't even try to make sense, everyone has this pointless limitation and no one is going to buy a box of the basic set with real money because he wants to have 8 copies of Pao deathseeker.

when you are discussing a video game and you find yourself using " but they do have to gain money someway!" or " but that way it will feel more realistic" or even better " but i find it fun!" then you are probably just going to say something that doesn't make much sense or provide a very poor argument.

it's a game flaw in a very good game,a really little but annoying flaw that we all hope is going to be fixed.
This is exactly how I feel. Even if they do gain money thanks to this (which probably shouldn't be that much) such a limitation is enough to annoy people outta the game. At least a deck saver system for this amazing game would be really appreciated.

Regalian6
11-18-2013, 05:56 PM
I actually appreciate this limitation.
It forces me to delete old decks that I don't use anymore, thereby keeping my list of decks manageable.

I understand that people with more organizational skills than me would prefer having 100 decks on their account, all named appropiately and slightly differently tuned to fit with different meta-games.

But for me it's perfect this way.

Perfect example of Stockholm syndrome.

Sqrawn
11-18-2013, 08:27 PM
I think it's perfectly sensible as it is.

If I want to share cards between decks for MTG in real life, I also need to bother moving the shared cards between decks when I switch.
If you really like those cards, you should be willing to either bother switching, or pick up spares.

I agree with Falkinator2000. 100 variations on the same deck for metagaming purposes is absurd. I don't think you even see that happening in Magic Online.

titusthefox
11-20-2013, 11:42 AM
I like how all these kinda threads never get a dev. reply =D

Everytime it's something annoying like this, or adding a filter system to altar of wishes, and etc. you never find an official reply, but you can find the devs all over the other threads. I smell a NDA here somewhere =)

For what it's worth: +1

Vesuvean
11-21-2013, 08:30 PM

Uhhh , well I am a lvl 2 judge of magic for almost 10 years now. And to answer at your post : No you can't.
If during a game with your friend you use proxies (the name of a card token) no problem, if during a minor tournament with no real gain or elo gain , go ahead do whatever you wants (even if you don't have actually the card and if you have the agreement of the organisator). But to play a proxie in a real official tournament it must be a (very rare) proxie tournament wich is occured only twice maybe third times in europe.

So, no you can't play a proxy in a tournament of magic sorry.

(but I play a lot with proxies just be sure when you go to the tournament to have all the real legal copy of your cards)

Oh and just another reason to forbid the use of proxie in tournament : if you play even one proxie in your deck you have a marked deck, and yeah I can draw my proxie after each shuffle of my library; the card is heavier and fatter than any other card => in proxy tournament you HAVE to play ALL your card in a proxy version and it means that all your paper must have all the same size.