PDA

View Full Version : Play as a male only?

mpdunaway
03-22-2013, 05:49 PM
Will there be a female too?

Women do play games.

Ivaloinen
03-22-2013, 06:30 PM
I'm a woman and don't mind playing as handsome male. But I'd be eager to see other hackers introduced.

TheJewlius
03-23-2013, 01:08 PM
In one of the E3 demos where you zoom out to Bixxel he has two conversations over the phone. One is with his boss but the other one is with one of his fellow hackers, who is definitely a female (or a male with the girliest voice i've ever heard). I think it is very safe to assume that you will be able to play as a female. Maybe not in singleplayer but both in MP and during freeroam with others.

itsamea-mario
03-27-2013, 01:36 AM
But surely if Aiden is the protagonist then that means we play as him. He looks male to me.

Bastiaen
04-02-2013, 09:14 PM
I'm a woman and don't mind playing as handsome male. But I'd be eager to see other hackers introduced.

I'm a man, and I wouldn't mind playing as an attractive female :)

pacmanate
04-03-2013, 10:22 AM
Pretty sure Watch_Dogs has multiplayer? (I think?). If so, there will probably most likely be women characters in there.

GuZZ33
04-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Women do play games.And feature in video games as the main playable protagonist as well, Lara Croft, Nilin, Jodie Holmes, to name a few. Yeah let's have a female character to play with in Watch Dogs.

pacmanate
04-06-2013, 10:54 PM
And feature in video games as the main playable protagonist as well, Lara Croft, Nilin, Jodie Holmes, to name a few. Yeah let's have a female character to play with in Watch Dogs.

Sorry but that just can't happen. The main protagonist is a male, he has a voice. This means they have a voice actor and a storyline and a ton of dialogue for him to say in side missions, main missions etc. To have an alternate as a woman is a waste of time seeing as they already have a male.

JBanton
04-07-2013, 01:55 PM
I most probably wouldn't use but certainly would like to see it as an option. Given the fact that we will have online characters that act independently from Aiden I think it's highly likely that there will be the option to play as a female :)

DJ.R3D
04-09-2013, 10:16 PM
Pretty sure Watch_Dogs has multiplayer? (I think?). If so, there will probably most likely be women characters in there.

Yes, but which kind of Multiplayer :D ? (i saw the video with Multiplayer trailer too) Like "Co-op Multiplayer, only 2-5 Characters ? Only friends are availeable to join (huge friendlist...) ? kind a Multiplayer like Call of Duty, with the features of Watch Dogs ( with female characters to choose).

Yes, the Multiplayer throws up some questions.

pacmanate
04-09-2013, 11:24 PM
Yes, but which kind of Multiplayer :D ? (i saw the video with Multiplayer trailer too) Like "Co-op Multiplayer, only 2-5 Characters ? Only friends are availeable to join (huge friendlist...) ? kind a Multiplayer like Call of Duty, with the features of Watch Dogs ( with female characters to choose).

Yes, the Multiplayer throws up some questions.

Seeing as Watch_Dogs comes out this year, I expect reveals of these at E3 in June

floydmerry
04-19-2013, 12:34 AM
It would seem more unlikely than so. The assassin's series only had males as well, but hey history is meant to be changed.

TheRealSwag
04-25-2013, 11:02 PM
I don't think a female character would affect the game at all. Obviously Aiden is the protagonist, but if we have online characters like the Bixxel character, I see no harm in having the ability to play as a female.

Actually, in the interest of increased profits, extending the audience range to female consumers would be a good move wouldn't it?

poptartz20
04-29-2013, 10:25 PM
I wouldn't mind playing a Woman since I am one.. but at the same time I enjoy playing as a guy more for some reason?

If you want a female protagonist play Tomb Raider.

Rebel_Raven
04-30-2013, 12:21 AM
I got an email from Ubisoft, and had a laugh. I came here to share, and found this topic which kinda beat me to the point.

Anyone else get the "we've been watching you since" and "We know how you play. We know what you want."
Yes, i know it's not serious.
Regardless, they didn't deliver.
No gender select?
Seems like you're stuck playing as a guy like 99.9999% of every game released ever. It's not how I play, it's not how I want to play, and certainly not what I want.

Like the OP, and several others, I want to play as a female lead. Simple as that. Gender select, female only protagonist, either works.
I'm female, and want to be my gender in a game like others in this thread.

That said, unless I get some major surprise info about this game, Watchdogs is off the list of games I want. I'm not made of money, so voting with my wallet is all, too easy.

Watch_Chica
04-30-2013, 07:45 AM
If you want a female protagonist play Tomb Raider.

Here we go with this done-to-death line. It's as naive as it is boring.:rolleyes:

I would love to be able to play as a female, if even it's multiplayer at the least.

pacmanate
04-30-2013, 01:31 PM
I got an email from Ubisoft, and had a laugh. I came here to share, and found this topic which kinda beat me to the point.

Anyone else get the "we've been watching you since" and "We know how you play. We know what you want."
Yes, i know it's not serious.
Regardless, they didn't deliver.
No gender select?
Seems like you're stuck playing as a guy like 99.9999% of every game released ever. It's not how I play, it's not how I want to play, and certainly not what I want.

Like the OP, and several others, I want to play as a female lead. Simple as that. Gender select, female only protagonist, either works.
I'm female, and want to be my gender in a game like others in this thread.

That said, unless I get some major surprise info about this game, Watchdogs is off the list of games I want. I'm not made of money, so voting with my wallet is all, too easy.

I know where you are coming from but they would have to do dialogue recording for a woman, make a new skin and do new animations for her. Its just not practical.

GreyFox_007
04-30-2013, 02:40 PM
I'm female, and want to be my gender in a game...

Go and find a game that has a female protagonist then.

GalakFyarr
04-30-2013, 03:21 PM
Sorry but that just can't happen. The main protagonist is a male, he has a voice. This means they have a voice actor and a storyline and a ton of dialogue for him to say in side missions, main missions etc. To have an alternate as a woman is a waste of time seeing as they already have a male.

It's not "impossible" though, look at Saint's Row the Third: they had voice over for the full campaign for 3 different male voices + 3 different female voices + 1 zombie voice. And technically, there's no reason that the protagonist can't be a woman (unless one of the key events in the game is getting kicked in the balls).

Either way, it's a bit silly to complain though.It's just like a movie, the story is written with Aiden as the "hero". I don't see anyone complain why Tom Cruise can't be changed into a woman when watching Mission Impossible.

Watch_Chica
04-30-2013, 07:07 PM
We already know that this game will have Aiden as the main character for the single-player story, but for online we obviously have to play as someone other than Aiden, so surely any of these other characters could be female.

I'm pretty sure women can hack as well; just look at the woman in the "Out of Control" trailer.

Rebel_Raven
04-30-2013, 11:40 PM
Go and find a game that has a female protagonist then.
The problem with this is game companies are ACTIVELY denying people who want to make games with female protagonists. It's a miracle half the games listed lately were made it seems.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7044-The-Creepy-Cull-of-Female-Protagonists
Until stuff likes that goes -away- finding games, good games, with production values, and solid advertising with female protagonists is going to be abhorrently rare.

It's mind boggling how few people have heard of "Remember Me."
I've barely seen any sort of Tomb Raider commercial.

DJ.R3D
09-29-2013, 01:14 AM
We already know that this game will have Aiden as the main character for the single-player story, but for online we obviously have to play as someone other than Aiden, so surely any of these other characters could be female.

I'm pretty sure women can hack as well; just look at the woman in the "Out of Control" trailer.

Yep, her name is Clara Lille, but i think we cannot choose her Character, but i hope many of other female Chars.
And no, i am not a girl and (if there are female character), i wouldnt choose one.

I think, if we are able to choose between a male or female MULTIPLAYER character, the more girls feel appealed and would like to buy Watch Dogs :D

rchildress2
09-29-2013, 02:51 AM
It also seems Might of Nature is a liability against Academy now.http://weavlon.dekmtbvw.com/1.jpg
http://weavlon.dekmtbvw.com/2.jpg
http://weavlon.dekmtbvw.com/3.jpg
http://weavlon.dekmtbvw.com/4.jpg
http://weavlon.dekmtbvw.com/5.jpg

Kagurra
09-29-2013, 06:39 PM
The only multiplayer that's announced is where both the players are Aiden on their screen. I don't get why you think there's going to be a female character that's playable considering the info that's been released. Why don't you go make a female character in GTAV Online if it's so important to you?

A girl that's interested in a video game but doesn't buy it because there isn't a playable female character is stuck up and full of herself. I'm not one of those people.

SilenceMutes
10-01-2013, 12:40 PM
Even in multiplayer, you will be seen as Aiden Pearce. A male. Get over it.

EvilPixieGrrr
10-01-2013, 09:29 PM
"Get over it?"

Really? What's important to some people might not be to you, but there's really no need to post something as non-constructive as this.

Please behave civilly, gang.

DubstepPenguin
12-14-2013, 11:05 AM
This is 2013/ 2014 people, how can you be aiming to create a good open world game with multiplayer and then make it so un-friendly to a female audience?

I'm not asking for them to make everyone play as a woman but at least give those who want it the option, this isn't the 20th century anymore...

Kagurra
12-15-2013, 08:06 AM
This is 2013/ 2014 people, how can you be aiming to create a good open world game with multiplayer and then make it so un-friendly to a female audience?

I'm not asking for them to make everyone play as a woman but at least give those who want it the option, this isn't the 20th century anymore...

It's not "unfriendly" to not be a female in a game. In Watch Dogs multiplayer, you play Aiden. It's a seamless transition. I can't even find the words to describe why this aggressive request is pointless.

DubstepPenguin
12-15-2013, 09:20 AM
It's not "unfriendly" to not be a female in a game. In Watch Dogs multiplayer, you play Aiden. It's a seamless transition. I can't even find the words to describe why this aggressive request is pointless.

That's rich :rolleyes:

As if forcing everybody to play in multiplayer as one character is going to suit everybody. You'd have to be very narrow minded to believe everybody will be happy without a choice of who they play as online, especially when you consider the presence of GTA and Saints Row multiplayer.

Let's take another example; force everybody to play a female character for everything and then all sort of complaints will roll in...

Sigv4rd
12-15-2013, 12:53 PM
Maybe a female character for Watch Dogs 2.0?

RazorBlade185
12-15-2013, 06:11 PM
Funny that this is never a problem for games like Tomb Raider. At least, I never saw a guy whining that he had to play as a woman. Perhaps if if there were about as many guys as girls who play these types of games, that there would be more female main caracters.

MRSMYT
12-15-2013, 10:25 PM
Im A Male, Im Sure That They Will Introduce Female Compainions Into The Game But From The Way Its Set Out I Don't Think That It Will Have Playable Female Characters.

Kagurra
12-20-2013, 09:30 AM
As if forcing everybody to play in multiplayer as one character is going to suit everybody. You'd have to be very narrow minded to believe everybody will be happy without a choice of who they play as online,

Guess they're not going to buy Watch Dogs then, because you play as Aiden in it. All the time. It's not "forcing", it's just not how the game works. That's like saying "You're forcing me to use my legs as my main mode of transportation in Mirror's Edge when I'd rather be on a pogostick."

Just stop.

JBanton
12-20-2013, 12:29 PM
Guess they're not going to buy Watch Dogs then, because you play as Aiden in it. All the time. It's not "forcing", it's just not how the game works. That's like saying "You're forcing me to use my legs as my main mode of transportation in Mirror's Edge when I'd rather be on a pogostick."

Just stop.

Heh, I think you really missed the point with that response... :p

Context bro, context...

Kagurra
12-22-2013, 06:34 AM
Heh, I think you really missed the point with that response... :p

Context bro, context...

No, I didn't, Also not a bro...

Watch_Chica
12-23-2013, 03:51 PM
In one of the E3 demos where you zoom out to Bixxel he has two conversations over the phone. One is with his boss but the other one is with one of his fellow hackers, who is definitely a female (or a male with the girliest voice i've ever heard). I think it is very safe to assume that you will be able to play as a female. Maybe not in singleplayer but both in MP and during freeroam with others.

I liked the look of that gameplay so much, I was quite disappointed to hear that they changed the system entirely.

Watch Dogs appears to have so many things to do, it would have been great if online we could have done everything from the perspective of an independent character, ala Bixxel_44. The original system looks like it would have catered to those who want to play a female character, at least I would have loved to use one for online sessions. Or at the very least a different male character, to keep things interesting.

They had a choice of giving us other characters to play, as the E3 2012 gameplay evidenced.

TheRealSwag
12-24-2013, 10:13 AM
Seeing as Watch Dogs seems to be more focused on hacking, I don't think its gameplay would be much affected if it were played from the perspective of a female character.

Although I can't see it happening, I would be interested in seeing a female protagonist for single player. It would be interesting to see if the game makes a good reflection of the ups and downs of lives and roles of women in today's world. It would certainly make for a good story I think.

SoulChaserJ
12-31-2013, 08:01 PM
This is a moot discussion. In a game like Mass Effect where you're supposed to represent the character and vice versa, giving you an option makes sense. In a game where you are playing as the character, choosing sex makes no sense. It's like reading a book and asking the author to change the sex of the protagonist. Should there be more female character leads? Yes. Does this need to be one of those games? No.